Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I am halfway through writing a xianxia world pbta hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's not going to be very accurate though because while luck and cheating are very important in the system rape is not

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Sex is like the least dramatically important thing in the genre

The replacement is "seeking death" moves, the only actual mechanism for characters to die by choosing an obligation like revenge or etc to go out in a blazing rampage over

Main characters never die just because they get their asses kicked after all they just run away or lose something or get a motivational poison or injury

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

What about thieving. If the players aren't constantly stealing from and swearing vengeance on each other you're doing it wrong

Obligations (like vengeance) are the central character mechanic like strings in monsterhearts, one of the stats explicitly covers stealing things and conning people, and the fastest way to cultivate is to wheedle poo poo out of your seniors

(the second fastest is just being stupid lucky, which has a mechanic)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

How does combat work? Genre-accurate combat would skip rolling completely and just have both sides compare power levels and win or lose if they're even one apart.

Literally every single move can be used as combat move

You want to best a dude with your ability to make pills? loving of course you can

Its pbta so only the player rolls

Folks in different levels either are so little of a threat you don't even roll or being able to beat them is a matter of narrative from having collected the appropriate foozles to stand on their level for a time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If players can somehow come up with a more ridiculous fight than meng haos days long battle of who can memorize the most plants they are welcome to try

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
thanks for mentioning it, i'd rather put it aside because im not in the mood ahead of time than get surprised by that and drop it entirely

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cynic Jester posted:

Exalted is your best bet for out of the box flavor, with a core resource being named Essence and so forth.

Edit: Some quick googling shows quite a few Wuxia RPGs but they don't seem to have cultivation as a core focus.

im (slowly) writing a pbta hack for xianxia cultivation shenanigans (core principle, the fastest way to cultivate is to steal poo poo from seniors, the second fastest way is to be shockingly lucky, followed at a distance by actual work) specifically because there's no good trpg for it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shanakin posted:

In any accurate cultivation system, the best builds will have all stats as dump stats except luck, and maybe charisma (for scamming).

the idea is that's true equally for all the players so they don't really have stats; their attributes are just 'how they specialize in dealing with problems' and are determined entirely by the particular bullshit powers/op items they have

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shanakin posted:

Spoken like a scrub who wont immediately find an all powerful magic mirror artefact that duplicates other treasures and explodes enemies' butts. (and then turns into a trusted scamming companion)

alas, meng hao does not work in a game where multiple people have to be on vaguely even playing fields so everyone at the table can have fun

now a batshit crazy issth-esque video game on the other hand

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there any decent modern wuxia/xianxia themed games? That seems like that natural medium for the kind of storytelling they go for.

There's a fair few wuxia games, but xianxia with its ridiculous scope isn't done in anything i've ever run into

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shanakin posted:

Who said anything about being fair? The "Meng Hao"/Protagonist build is clearly the for min-maxing players with minimal sense of team work that want to break the game.

sure, if i wanted to design a bad game

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

RIP all the webnovels I'll never be able to read or finish reading.

Edit: I'm really tired of that crap happening. "This is a good series!" then:

a. "We've decided to discontinue translation because it's been licensed here and you will never see it again"
b. "We're shutting down due to lawyers in another country threatening to sue us until we can't even own our own blood"
c. "This site has been shut down due to multiple bogus DMCAs we can't fight back"
d. "Insert money to continue"

same, but basically all media from the first two-thirds of the 20th century

ip is a scourge

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
QU just left reddit, its still around.

https://toc.qidianunderground.org/

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
all the ones i have tried to read suffer from the one two punch of being outrageously and aggressively het and the male lead being a loving abuser

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
"honey, please, you can just spend your time and energy on other women around you who actually care about you and not a monster in human guise who happens to have a dick and white skin" -me, 100 chapters in to every qidian fic aimed at women

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tobermory posted:

Still early days, but The Empress' Livestream doesn't seem to be suffering from that. The MC is some sort of military commander from the future, who gets sucked into a Xianxia world by a sapient livestreaming app and reincarnated as the standard girl-disguised-as-a-boy. The app is trying to make her rise to power by scheming and court intrigue, but she prefers to solve all her problems with violence. Basically it wants her to do Dream of the Red Chamber, so far she's well on her way to doing the Water Margin instead.

Anyway, MC is definitely not heterosexual. As she's written so far, it seems unlikely that they're setting her up with an abusive male lead. It might still be crap, though -- I suspect the author might be setting her up with a (female) harem.

I have read a bit of this and thanks for the rec, and am enjoying it so far. A female protag outright saying 'gently caress you i'm gay' to a narrator spirit demanding she fit with the genre stereotypes is enough to put a smile on my face

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

She's straight though, she mentions it later.

whaaaaaaaaat

:mad:

what is with straight people why can't they just let me have a lebsiab

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

Chapter 48.

'normal'

fuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuu

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Cycling or circulation as metaphors make more sense when you know a bit about Qi, the chinese philosophical/religious concept that its all based on. The character literally translates as air, and you would inhale qi from the world around you which would circulate through your body basically like oxygen does.

Traditional Chinese Medicine posits illnesses as disruptions in the flow and circulation of qi inhaled from the air and ingested through food and drink present throughout the body's organs, etc.

to tie that into xianxia stuff, cultivation is using a turbo instead of natural aspiration :iiaca:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I really, really disliked mushoku tensei but an anime necessarily involves cutting tons of internal monologue which could make it pretty good

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

we've had Connecticut Yankee for over a century

i love that book and think every american should read it but its also probably the worst written thing twain ever put out, so good might be a stretch

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

sunken fleet posted:

Government censorship is such a strange thing, as someone from the states, it's real hard to wrap my head around it. I wonder if the Chinese stuff I follow is all going to disappear now? "Violence" seems like such an all-encompassing topic that I can't image what censoring it would look like if not just scrubbing like 90% of webnovels on the market out of existence.

i know, its strange to see the government doing it instead of sinclair broadcast group and newscorp

not even letting billionaires profit off your propaganda policies, shameful

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Alright okay enough of that

Anyway, I've been burning through Royal Road's "Best Rated" stories and they're, well, most of them are competent, I guess. The Last Science is probably the good one, though I find myself not really liking any of the characters apart from Natalie. The Simulacrum is alright too, if you have time for a harem-comedy isekai. Post-Human starts well but goes nowhere, and The Last Angel is a much, much better riff on the exact same premise. Brimstone Fantasy is a power fantasy with videogame numbers. I didn't hate it.

just stay the gently caress away from anything involving dungeons

My current royal road fav is just a really solid, good scifi story. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15449/quod-olim-erat the adventures of a retired spaceship in a pretty lovely space future, featuring lots of flashbacks and body/memory weirdness

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Katreus posted:

For dungeon fics, I like there is no epic loot here, only puns - although I guess because it's fluffy and avoids creepy tropes.

just read through this one and will heartily recommend it as well

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syenite posted:

I've been reading through this and it's pretty good, but the memory wipes just completely destroy it for me, I really wish the author hadn't chosen to have them.

Having read through it the story hangs entirely on them and they couldn't really be excluded.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syritta posted:

I like the mindwipes. Are there any other good books with protagonists like this, having to deal with their minds being rewritten? Royal Road's "non human lead" tag hasn't been encouraging.

Its not done with mindwipes but if you want the same effect done as a master class in hidden information and creeping dread read Use of Weapons by Iain Banks

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syritta posted:

Hm, thanks. I do like the mental alterations specifically though.

There's no shortage of brain weirdness and robots either

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Furious Lobster posted:

Nope. 16 - 44 != 300

you think captains are any better? :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

My favorite recent novel is Divine Throne of Primordial Blood, because the protagonist's cheat is mostly just being smart, and his goal is to overthrow the bloodline cultivation aristocracy by creating a cultivation system anyone can use and giving it away to all of humanity.

i picked up this one off this concept and uh, trigger warning that the dude routinely engages in horrible, war crimes level unethical experimentation under cover of medicine but unlike the irl version he gets results

new and even more hosed up version of torture boosting and really unexpected from a chinese author considering

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The telling thing is that he's actually enough of a realized person that you can argue about his morality, rather than just an outright villain treated as a hero by the story like many WN protags

He engages in threats, intimidation and manipulation against the rich and powerful while being pretty much unfailingly kind and helpful to the poor and powerless. He definitely does evil stuff but also he's possibly the only protag this side of the hilariously problematic Iron Ladies manhwa to have anything close to a class consciousness.

(i love that terrible manhwa btw and ascribe a trans narrative that is definitely not intended unto the main character because it fits imo but holy poo poo is the least recommendable thing ever)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Arkeus posted:

But... he is treated by a complete hero by the story. That's why so many people give up in disgust about the story. It constantly does the "Jason makes a quick assumption of someone's personality, and it turns out right". If someone is evil, they will dislike Jason. If someone is nice, they will like him. If Jason dislikes someone, that person will turn evil (or there is a plot point about it). If Jason likes someone, they will be good.

And that's in the first half second of a meeting.

The story is hilariously shallow.

I mean yeah, its bad. Presumably if you're looking for litrpg on royal road you've already read the handful of good wns or you don't care about quality at all, or both.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Artificer posted:

Reposting my request from the good isekai thread:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.

The Good-For-Nothing Seventh Young Lady goes hog wild with this, making her primary powerset (curses and mind control) not only something that's usually attached to evil characters generally also something basically exclusively used by evil dickbags in setting. Provided that you think stealing from rich people is a victimless crime she's pretty good people (at least for the first eleven hundred chapters ive read)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in the vast majority of such wn's the mc immediately hooks up with the richest and most abusively controlling guy around. is that the case here?

Its a xianxia style isekai rather than a palace intrigue isekai so she hasn't hooked up with anyone and instead just has a platonic harem of male admirers. The closest thing to a romantic lead is a spirit inhabiting her body and its not close at all.

She spend most of the first several hundred chapters disguised as three boys

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

cool, i'll check it out. i've long wanted to like those 'badass lady transmigrates into some loser girl who lives in a vaguely ancient china-ish setting' webnovels, but they kept letting me down. it's always the same poo poo, too.

god yeah there are so many promising wn just, torpedoed by toxic and disgusting abusive relationships being normalized

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Metaworld Chronicles off royal road is another one (the protag is a void mage, who eats life force for power, tries to be decent in a fundamentally awful world) if you can handle the sheer amount of extra and very awkward handling of issues

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 15, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also you can't skip on mentioning how World of Cultivation has spent at least 25 chapters focused on farming of all things. Our hero starts off with a motivation to get better at growing crops, and while he's beginning to seek power for other reasons, farming is still the key.

Fields of Gold is a reincarnation story where the protag has a magic stone from a xianxia setting in what is otherwise an extremely normal historical setting which she uses in her constant quest as a peasant girl to not starve by growing better crops or healing ordinary wounds.

Beware, her other superpower is being a good cook and there are very detailed descriptions of delicious food

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

What are some good LitRpgs? I'm looking for the ones with stat boxes, character sheets and explicit skill levels. I am not looking for cultivation stories. I've read a lot of them and am looking for something a little bit different.

The best I've ever read is probably Threadbare.

The Gamer is a classic example.

Homicidal aliens... is a fun, fast paced read. Not great, but enjoyable for what it is.

The Wandering Inn exists. Some people like it, it was not for me.

Gave this a try and got to the point where he does his deboning trick. Having deboned chickens and rabbits, I think he's about right on the difficulty. I'm a novice and it takes me about an hour to part out a chicken.

Writing seems about average so far. Author's attitude towards women is so far demeaning, dismissive, and possessive, but not yet outright rapey. About middle of the road for the genre I'd guess? I'm not a fan but it hasn't gotten bad enough to make me stop.

Azarinth Healer, He Who Fights With Monsters, Delve and Beach Bum are all reasonably fun ones on royal road and even the most edgy of them is far less awful than most xianxia

There is no epic loot here, only puns is kinda sorta litrpg and also good humor with emotion

If you want just absolute garbage Metaworld Chronicles has dnd wizards, misogyny and colonialism while Defiance of the Fall has a murderhobo protag in the 'finest' xianxia tradition

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Joe posted:

All warlock know how to do is use AI chip and lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There Is No Loot Here, Only Puns has a female protagonist and a bunch of other women characters and is also just fun