Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

HiveCommander posted:

This sounds like it has a lot of similarities with The Realist Hero's Kingdom Restoration Chronicles, in a way, I'll have to check it out.

Whoa, back from the dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Hmm, Re:Zero just passed Kumoko on Narou's overall ranking, reaching #8. The anime has had quite the positive impact on its popularity there. Wonder if it can maintain it, given the complete lack of updates for over half a year.

In the meantime, Tondemo Skill also managed to kick Shield Hero out of the top ten. Hard to see what makes it good from the 1.5 chapters I read, but it's getting a paper release soon, at least.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So, good news, bad news, and worse news!

The good news is that I've found a nice Japanese web novel called Lapis no Shinzou, with perhaps the best writing I've seen on Narou so far. It's a "rising through the ranks" story in a fairly orthodox fantasy setting, devoid of summoning or game elements. Summarized, it's about an orphan boy with one eye who gets adopted by an assassin and raised in a remote forest, where she teaches him some ancient martial art that sounds like aikido or whatever. Once grown up he goes out into the world and joins the army, where heroic things happen, and women fall for him, that kind of thing. The tempo is unusually good, with nice balance between characterization, dialogue and combat, never lingering too long on one thing. It's somehow managed to get published on paper without even making the Narou top 300. Very enjoyable read at just over 1700 pages currently.

The bad news is that there's no rape or slavery, so it's unlikely to be translated in the current web novel fan climate! At least I haven't found anyone bothering with it yet.

And then the worse news is that the author got pneumonia or something, so he went on an extended hiatus, with the latest chapter having come out 1½ years ago, while the author himself hasn't made a peep in nearly a year. In short, it's about halfway through its story, and it might never be finished. Still worth it.

Er, and in other news, Live Dungeon! is getting paper published, yay: http://kadokawabooks.jp/product/102/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I've read through what's out of Seirei Gensouki the past week, and feel like I enjoyed it enough to give it a mild recommendation, which is hard to reach in this day and age. It starts out with the standard reincarnation template, where the protagonist dies in a traffic accident and finds himself in a fantasy world inhabiting the body of a young orphan, where he's regained the memories of his former Japanese life. As par for the course, he discovers he has magical powers and is super amazing, saving royalty and going through magic school and befriending elves and finding soy sauce and all that, which is ... decent enough, I guess.

But in the fourth arc, the author suddenly slams down another web novel template, creating a curious blend, that finally turns the title into something pretty good. It's also the beginning of a series of events that makes it impossible to think you're reading anything other than a ridiculous shoujo romance manga, with all the horrible clichés that come with it. It all culminates in a horrifyingly frustrating climax at the end of arc five, but while I use a lot of negative adjectives to describe it, the result is still unique enough in the web novel genre to make it stand out and keep you turning pages at a blazing rate, so it's a peculiar experience.

Luckily it also has its share of rape and slavery, so someone's naturally deemed it worthy of translation: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/seirei-gensouki-konna-sekai-de-deaeta-kimi-ni/
As far as I can tell, the translations are coming out at a fair pace, and currently cover about 25% of the original material, which itself is still ongoing. At this rate, the fourth arc (where Things Happen) should appear pretty soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

just say what the big twist is. you and i have very different tastes in garbage fiction and i'm not gonna read that.

Eh, if you won't read it, I don't quite see the point in spoiling it, but oh well.

Spoilers for Seirei Gensouki arc 4: The gods summon 6 Heroes from another world -- obviously Japanese teenagers -- who are granted divine weapons. By accident, powerless "civilians" in their vicinity also got dragged along, one of whom turns out to be the protagonist's childhood crush. The interactions generated by the differences of growing up in that world and just warping in are interesting. Plus convoluted romantic developments.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Jackard posted:

Dude between your avatar and this thread in general, nobody gonna read four-five arcs of trash for some nebulous payoff

What's the avatar got to do with anything? Someone anonymous (?) randomly bought it for me, along with a dozen other people. And why are you even visiting this thread if not to dive into the garbage heap?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh my loving god.

https://myanimelist.net/news/48858757

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Death March was very low on my list of probable anime adaptations, what with all the brothel visits. TenSlime seemed a more likely candidate, given the sales it's been getting. Suddenly even an Arifureta anime seems possible, in spite of the endless loli sex. Dark times await us.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

uh, where did you get that that person, later on... is being animated?

If you use bold or a link to the novelupdates page, it's easier to figure out that you're talking about an entirely different title, rather than just commenting on the post above yours.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

fair enough, but

made it seem like he knew the bad wn i was talking about, then inexplicably jumped to it being animated.

Never having heard of "that person, later on...", I assumed you were talking about the main character of Death March, which is being animated. So maybe that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Zwingley posted:

Got a question for folks who have actually done fan-translations or edited them.

Sometimes I'll be reading a release of something and there'll be a (?) next to a word or phrase. Is this the editor questioning the word choice and it just doesn't get addressed sometimes, or is it a Japanese thing like putting (lol) next to a phrase to indicate sarcasm or something?

I ask because I cracked volume 2 of Yen Press's Mahouka and ran into it twice in the first, like, thirty pages. It wouldn't be the first time I saw an egregious editor fuckup in the series, so.

It does happen that the narration will include (?) to show that there's a general doubt whether the thing in question is worthy of the name, kind of thing. As an imaginary clichéd example, let's say a girl makes lunch for her boyfriend, but she's oh-so-terrible at cooking, and what is handed over is more like a piece of goo, then the narrator may call it a "lunchbox (?)" in order to show that maybe it doesn't really qualify, even if the girl insists that's totally what it is.

In the case of Mahouka, I can try to look at the original Japanese text to see if it was introduced in the translation or not, but I'll need a page number and some surrounding context / sentences to figure out where it's from. Note that page 123 in the English version won't be page 123 in the Japanese, so it's not enough with a number on its own.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Maybe it helps to know that Mahouka was originally a web novel published for free on Narou, and some of the quirks rampant there probably remain in the paper edition.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Speaking of former Narou web novels, has anyone heard something about a title called Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai (君の膵臓をたべたい == I'd like to eat your pancreas) ? I've seen it top the sales charts for a year now, and it's apparently sold nearly 700 000 copies, which is absurd. Looks like there'll be a movie adaptation next year as well. Was surprised to see on Wikipedia that it started out on Narou, until some author discovered it and pulled strings at a publisher or whatever.

Edit: Oh, looks like there's some sort of translation on-going, http://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-want-to-eat-your-pancreas/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Sandman posted:

So, the list of the top ten LNs in Japan last year was interesting:

From what I understand, this is just a single Akihabara bookstore's sales ranking, so it's not quite "in Japan".

The data from Oricon is probably more universal:

Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. *1,417,661 Kimi no Na wa.
*2. *1,174,562 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
*3. *1,020,673 Sword Art Online
*4. *1,007,381 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*5. **,711,154 Overlord
*6. **,602,256 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*7. **,562,187 No Game No Life
*8. **,450,791 Monogatari Series
*9. **,449,192 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
10. **,435,482 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu Series

11. **,422,569 Boukyaku Tantei Series
12. **,380,144 Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
13. **,361,088 Sword Art Online: Progressive
14. **,294,478 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
15. **,292,746 Bungou Stray Dogs "Dazai Osamu no Nyuusha Shiken"
16. **,287,728 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
17. **,282,826 Kimi no Na wa. Another Side: Earthbound
18. **,282,077 Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja Nai to Omotta?
19. **,281,195 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index
20. **,256,782 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!!

21. **,236,127 Kagerou Daze
22. **,225,229 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Spin-off
23. **,195,199 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
24. **,185,710 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
25. **,181,314 Ensemble Stars!
26. **,180,275 Imouto sae Ireba Ii.
27. **,174,175 Orange
28. **,168,542 Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
29. **,163,829 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
30. **,162,562 Date A Live

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

11. *9,297 *,*34,026 Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Vol.5

We are so doomed.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Namtab posted:

There's 18 volumes?!

18 isn't so bad. Both Bookworm and Re:Zero are over 10000 pages, which would fill 30+ volumes at the usual size. Although they're admittedly more pleasant to read.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

well, it has the slaves tag so it is almost certainly bad

Practically any story that takes place in an extensive medieval world will have slavery, so that seems a bit unfair.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

ironically, i'm reading 1633 now as well and i'm pretty sure it actually takes place in 1634

It's like how the 20th century actually takes place in the 1900s.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Errrr, somehow they went and released Saihate no Paladin in English all of a sudden. The first volume was unusually well written for a web novel, so it could be worth checking out the translation.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Most of the annoying parts of Subaru's personality slip away after about 3000 pages, so just hang in there. It gets better. Eventually.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Earlier this week, the author of Honzuki (Bookworm) announced that they were in the planning stages for a drama CD, and today she announced that Maine's story was finally -- after 3½ years of writing -- complete, although there's still some epilogue stuff to come. Checking the PDF version, it clocked in at 11389 pages. Might pass over 12k if you include the side story chapters she moved off to another page.

Wonder if we'll ever see it animated.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I think in part it's just the pendulum swinging back from a decade of light novel protagonists who were silent and took it, or something. People are probably just tired of the frustrating waiting part until the protagonist finally overcomes his internal issues or whatever.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Arkeus posted:

But they didn't? Like, this is a big myth, but LN protagonists always were wish fulfilment in big measures. "Silent and Took it" usually ended up meaning "had girls falling over him", and half of them actually had pro-active protagonists, though some of them arguably didn't. But even then, it was "I want girls to love nice guys (tip fedora)".

Eh, I was talking about power levels, not romance. Pretty sure most battle LNs were about underdogs overcoming the odds, and so on, and if they did have immense powers, it'd take some kind of struggle to discover new facets to defeat the opponent.

Romantically, many of the web novel writers seemingly realized that they could have their cake and eat it too by setting the harem in a fantasy world, so now all their readers can "get with" their favourite girl and not feel slighted. It causes some kind of inflation, though, because in order to keep up a semblance of "will-they-won't-they" tension, the author has to introduce more and more girls for the hero to dazzle, and the harem just grows unrestricted in some cases.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Knight's & Magic trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdtq1FjE4s

Airs this summer, apparently.

Bit peculiar that Rie Takahashi is a primary character in KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and this, with them all being Narou web novels.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any place I can find the LN character drawings (or any sort of official character art) for Kumoko? Google image searches aren't helping me much. I found one picture with images of Shun, Sue, Julius, and the elf teacher, but it would be nice to have an image of some of these other characters like the Sword Emperor guy or Saint girl (I'm at the part where they were just introduced).

edit: I do not trust the teacher lady in the slightest. She is up to something!

There are scans of the novels on Nyaa that probably include illustrations, if you can be bothered to look through them.

The official book website also has some character headshots: http://kadokawabooks.jp/feature/kumo/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Er, this feels incredibly sudden, but that smartphone thing is getting an anime in July: http://isesuma-anime.jp/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Well, I just finished reading Honzuki no Gekokujou (Ascendance of a Bookworm) and can report that it was extremely good, so you can feel secure in enjoying the next 650 chapters or so. Admittedly I kept way too high a reading pace on the home stretch, nearly burning myself out on it, so the finale felt somewhat stretched, being nearly as long as the entire first arc (70ish chapters), but it all wrapped up well. The author has also promised to write more side story stuff eventually, so who knows long it'll truly end up being, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

How are you translating うふふん anyway? It's pretty much her iconic thing.

It's also a thing that made it super weird reading the author's account of her dinner date with the manga artist, because it was written exactly like a Bookworm chapter, making it extremely obvious how much of an author insert Maine is, thus explaining why she's such an ultra Mary Sue.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, that works 90% of the time but I dont know how you avoid translation notes when the story needs to make a point of the specifics of junior/senior relationship between the characters. Its just not a relationship that exists in any great capacity anymore in the west, especially now that apprenticeships are all but dead.

You just rewrite it cleverly to make all the senpai bullies, and the kouhai their victims.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Starting part 3 of Ascendance of a Bookworm and it's starting to look like this is going to need a big chart of all the character's family trees and relationships like Game of Thrones needed. The list of characters expands pretty dramatically as the story goes on.

Really, really good though. The second half of Part 2 had a lot of great moments.

The finale of arc 2 is amazing. I was a wreck, though.

Edit: Btw, there is a huge and complicated relationship chart out there. Pretty rabid fans for this series. Not to mention the big wiki with 314 characters and their affiliations listed. Includes spoilers, though.

Edit 2: Don't miss that she started posting side stories on a different page once part IV began: http://ncode.syosetu.com/n7835cj/

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

I know, right? The last bit of part 2 utterly destroyed me.

As far as relationship charts, I found this one on Pixiv and have been using it, but it's kinda hard to read. I'm a bit hesitant to go through the fanart (of which there is a surprisingly large amount!) looking for more due to spoilers. All the stuff seems to either be of part 1 or from parts 4-5.

I did find the side story page, and it's even still being updated! I've still got a long way to go to part 4, though.

I meant this monster: http://goo.gl/Fx7BzV
Or this: http://i.imgur.com/ZKI7dIT.gif

But since they were updated as the story progressed, they spoil a bit.

Edit: This is the wiki, for future reference.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 3, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

This series is seriously so good. I'd been planning to spend the weekend playing Nier or Breath of the Wild but I just can't put Bookworm down.

Hmm, I actually think it takes a big step up in part 4, but it's also reminiscent of some other big fantasy series, so I've seen complaints about it as well. It seems to be where it started becoming really popular, at least.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're doing some campaign thing this week where they let you read the entire manga for free: http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/18228
Just make sure you turn off the comments, to avoid massive ending spoilers by idiots. Kind of fun to see what the world looks like.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 3, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I will never stop being confused that no one other than blastron has translated Honzuki. It is one of the top ranked web novels and dramatically superior to most of its peers, yet somehow it goes relatively unnoticed despite 37 different slave harem titles being translated. Like, what kind of trash taste does a person have to have to see something like Shield Hero and think "mm yes, good stuff" and then see Honzuki and go "ehhh."

I just noticed that it seems like a lot of these WNs release/released a chapter a day. How do the writers keep up that kind of schedule? Honzuki has really long chapters compared with a lot of other WNs too, but it seems like it released chapters almost every day from looking at Narou.

edit: I think what Honzuki really succeeds at is telling a very slow story that gradually introduces the world the characters live in while still managing to keep things interesting.

First of all, Honzuki is basically a shoujo title. It's got a female protagonist, is written by a woman, and even got the shoujo manga label stamped on it on the manga site where it's published online. Narou is primarily a male-targeted site, so it's pretty natural that it gets buried under all the slave harem there, at least. Consequently, it was hovering around #50 on the ranking until it finally completed, which put it high on the "completed works" tab on the ranking page, and it's shot up to #24 now, but it's still relatively minor compared to many other titles. This isn't directly tied to why nobody translated it, but it explains why it was fairly obscure, at least.

Second, you have to realize that translating is Really Hard Work, unless you just dump it into a machine translation gizmo and pretend it's done. It takes balls to pick up a title that's 12000 pages long, and each chapter is nearly 4x the content of, say, Kumoko's. It means that even if you just nibble through one chapter at a time, it's still a heavy time investment to get something out there. Not everyone is excited about that kind of commitment.

Third, a lot of people who tried reading Honzuki probably gave up within the first few chapters, because the protagonist is undeniably unpleasant and selfish in the beginning. Once you get past that, it makes her growth as a character that much more impactful, but you can't really blame people for moving on to the next thing instead. Supposedly this is why the author decided to run a campaign opening up the manga freely for a week, since it's easier to forgive Maine when she's so adorably drawn.

Anyway, in regards to writing so much, the Honzuki author actually developed RSI and had to take a long break over the summer on orders from the doctor to let her arms heal. It's also pretty common for people to write a bunch of stuff as a buffer, then release the piled up chapters daily over a period, because it seems to boost the rank better, as it climbs up on the daily and weekly charts, catching more eyes. Then they take a longer break to repeat the process. Readers can only rate the very latest chapter posted, so many authors go for shorter but more frequent updates to boost the total points that way. Partly explains why Kumoko was so successful.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Been a while since I last did this, so posting latest data.

Narou ranking top 30 (as of today):

01 - 380k: Mushoku Tensei
02 - 292k: Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu
03 - 290k: Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou!
04 - 287k: Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
05 - 280k: Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
06 - 263k: Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyusoukyoku
07 - 263k: Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
08 - 258k: Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World
09 - 258k: Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
10 - 236k: Regarding the Display of an Outrageous Skill Which Has Incredible Powers
11 - 204k: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
12 - 195k: The Other World Dining Hall
13 - 194k: I Said Make My Abilities Average!
14 - 191k: Konjiki no Moji Tsukai
15 - 187k: Fairy Tale Chronicle*
16 - 181k: Reincarnated into a Werewolf, the Demon Lord Servants
17 - 181k: Magi’s Grandson
18 - 179k: I’m a NEET but When I Went to Hello Work I Got Taken to Another World
19 - 177k: Legend
20 - 172k: Because Janitor-san Is Not a Hero
21 - 170k: Log Horizon
22 - 169k: Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru
23 - 166k: Ascendance of a Bookworm
24 - 166k: Magi Craft Meister
25 - 161k: Nidome no Jinsei wo Isekai de
26 - 161k: Risou no Himo Seikatsu
27 - 159k: 10nen-goshi no Hikiniito wo Yamete Gaishutsu Shitara Jitaku Goto Isekai ni Teni Shiteta
28 - 159k: Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter
29 - 158k: Maou-sama no Machizukuri! ~Saikyou no Danjon wa Kindai Toshi~
30 - 157k: Shinka no Mi

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I'm surprised to see Kenkyo so high.

Different tastes and all that, but I personally think it's better than Honzuki. Perfectly executed.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is there anything else that fits into the same "shoujo version of an isekai story" genre (edit: and is good)? I also enjoy Kenkyo (one of literally a handful of Japanese WNs I like), though not quite as much as Honzuki (I think because Kenkyo priorities humor over plot, which is fine but I tend to enjoy more plot-focused things).

As mentioned, there are so few foreign female fans of the genre that nobody seems to bother translating, I guess? One of the better ones is Kita no Toride nite, about a fluffy little fox girl, but the English release pace is fairly hopeless.

On the other hand you also have stuff like Heikinchi, which is ridiculously popular, already up to #13 on Narou's ranking. It's pretty much a blatant take on the "omg im so stronk" genre, except done by a woman. Probably. Didn't excite me much personally, but might be worth having a look at to see the other side.

I think one issue might be that the female-targeted stuff often tends to be short stories, and as such they don't get the time/views necessary to build up the points to hit the ranking like the long-running serialized titles. There's still tons and tons of it, plus an entire sister-site dedicated to just lady porn (mostly BL and whatever).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Uhoh, blastron, guess all that work was for nothing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

But that's the LN, blastron is translating the web novel version.

Er, that doesn't seem entirely important to me.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/Hello_itsWendy/status/853285847327686656

https://twitter.com/Hello_itsWendy/status/853288376736206849

https://twitter.com/Hello_itsWendy/status/853289013481885696

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

It means that Yen press probably won't be able to send a C&D to blastron, because they don't have the rights to the web novel version.

It seems reasonable that they could at least nudge the original author to complain, though. Or something about trademarks.

In the end it's more about how blastron would feel about clearly undermining the author's economical situation, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Argas posted:

Man, there's nothing else that can help me with my Bookworm fix is there?

If you can read Korean (I'm sure some people here do), there should be an official translation out for early Honzuki volumes.