Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
despite being duped by the promise of gays, this was actually very good and I'm eager for more.

I kinda expected more...light hearted I guess? Like not full on comedy obviously but I guess I've been conditioned to assume sports based animes are kinda more light hearted or cartoonishly over the top, so one that's more grounded while still managing to be entertaining caught me off guard in a welcome way.

Like yea, seeing a kinda sensitive guy dealing with feeling like he's defined by his slump was kinda sweet to see and unlike a lot of sports animes it wasn't instantly resolved to set up the ~real plot~, it felt like that's gonna be a large part of the ~real plot~ even if it gets bigger than 'I hosed up and am sad'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hocus Pocus posted:

There was a time when I doubted that this show would pull the trigger. I have never been more pleased to be wrong.

same, I'm surprised and happy that I was wrong at the same time.

I'm also not sure how popular it is in Japan proper thanks to its weird time, but I hope it is at least decently doing well. It's a good rear end anime even without the 'politics' and all of representation and deserves to get tons of praise both for finally moving beyond queerbaiting and for just being a genuinely good rear end fuckin show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

And I suspect they did it that way as part of a pattern of having much of the most important stuff in this show being what we don't see. Even the media-saturated life of a celebrity still has its moments of privacy.

pretty much. They made it crystal clear what happened. Yuri's arm being in the way in a show that has such a focus around media and its relationship with celebrity was likely to show the moment as very intimate and meant to be kept between them rather than broadcast everywhere and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint - everyone else completely getting what he's trying to do.

It's not funny because he means well, it's funny because he's clearly trying to hurt her and is using the lamest, most pathetic possible way to do it. It's like trying to do an honour killing with a banana, or an an acid attack with half a lemon.

This is what makes it a poo poo move, yea. If it was just a private 'gently caress you' thing it'd be 'ok whatever you're a child' but everyone in their circle knew exactly what he was doing, that made it a much more public thing and a way shittier way to behave.

Also yea, the joke wasn't 'aw look at him trying', the joke was 'haha look at this impotent baby having an ice-tantrum, no one around him thinks he's the winner here but he's too dumb to see that'. You're super not supposed to like him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I definitely thought that there'd be a bad twist at first but at this point, no, this is heading to a fairly happy ending on someone's terms.

At this point if anything my main hope is to see Russian Yuri win the grand prix as he slowly learns to perform form himself instead of as Victor or Yuri's rival like we've seen start. Yuri gets Victor and stops defining himself by a failure only he held against him to begin with, that was the story. Him winning gold would just be gravy. Same with Victor finding his new purpose in coaching Yuri and being mad gay with him forever. Winning would be nice but the whole point of this whole show is its secondary to actual growth as a person.

Maera Sior posted:

No no, the answer is that they have to move into pairs or ice dancing. (Can we get them doing twizzles? Please?)

Ok never mind, THIS is how the story needs to end.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gibbering posted:

Poor Victor.

Seriously, that party explains so much about the first few episodes. Mainly, why Viktor kept hitting on Yuuri with the force of a freight train when we all thought he didn't have any prior indication that Yuuri would respond positively to that.

Pretty much, despite them totally being gaylords I did kinda not love the relationship seeming to start with what seemed to be the 'pushy gay guy basically hassles closet case into coming out' trope. Turns out nope he actually had a reason to be all 'Yuri I'm here to be totally gayzos with you'!

This loving anime turned from 'yea this is good poo poo, I like figure skating and gay tension' into one of the best looks at male sexuality in anime that's able to have both gay and straight and platonic and romantic relationships that all feel equally valid and good. It's genuinely one of my favorite animes even when I strip away the 'yay the ice boys kissed!!!!' factor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's kinda why I get irritated with YAOI ON ICE jokes at this point, like, obviously I'm not troubled by yaoi or whatever (not to say there aren't problems with it, but this probably isn't the best place to talk about it) but it's way more complex than that and just saying that because there are gay relationships in it that makes it yaoi is... I dunno why it bugs me so much, maybe it's just that the implication is that it's all just stuff that's not realistic and is just made to please fans when that's been increasingly not the case with every new episode.

yea I'm with you, though in fairness I think 90% of the people making those jokes don't get that 'yaoi' has implications of, yea 'this is just to make fangirls squee' kinda poo poo. I think it's just kinda a general way to say 'this is gay af' at this point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lupus Rufus posted:

that's how i've used it but i'm reconsidering now.

this episode, as with every episode, was magical.

Yea if you wanna get nitty gritty a lot of anime fans, especially gay guys, tend to associate "yaoi" with more fanservice and titillation, usually aimed at straight women. It's hardly some big insult to most of us but yea I'd rather call this gay as heck anime just because it so perfectly avoids the yaoi tropes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Phobophilia posted:

lol noone likes jj

hets get out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the shift from 'omg the sweet ice gays are getting married' to 'no one cares about you and your wife loser' was pretty much the most perfect thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Celery Jello posted:

I'm assuming based on the fact that the jumps in the men's and women's are at different levels (quads especially) that it may have something to do with "unfair advantages", then. I could actually see the argument in both directions - the women would be lighter and therefore easier to lift, while a pair of men would both be harder to lift but also potentially be able to do better lifts because of extra strength.

Completely talking out of my rear end here, though.

yea I'm also mostly out of my rear end but I think for that to work they'd have to just straight up have different brackets of 'mixed gender pairs' and 'same gender pairs' for the scoring to not be wonky.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was gonna write about how the grand prix is the perfect example of how something 'minor' can mean so much more to someone with the right emotions attached and all, and how one of the major themes of the show is seeing the value in 'small' things even if you feel you should be above them.

But then

Sunning posted:

It just so happens that the channel that has the rights to broadcasting the real life Grand Prix series, TV Asahi, also broadcasts Yuri On Ice. Rival channel Fuji TV One usually wins the rights to Japanese nationals, Four Continents, Worlds, and even the European championships on occasion.

yea it's this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh my god dude had the guy who was begging him to come over suddenly say the true subject of his love is a pork bowl.

I need to rewatch the older episodes now and just note how many hilarious heartbreaks Viktor got while Yuri was being a dumbass closet case

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So is it just my imagination or do they simply draw Yuri sexier when he's on the ice? Maybe it's the outfits, I don't know.

I think it is a style change, yea, to fit the whole dual sides themes where normal dorky Yuri turns into sexy pork cutlet goddess man on the ice and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I swear to god if the skate boys aren't together at the end of this story I'm gonna flip every table in my home.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't believe I'm feeling sorry for JJ. Watching his fans still love him after his fall was a really surprising move—this show's power of empathy is strong.

yea the show taking JJ from 'ew go away straight boy' to 'oh my god I want to hug him' in just a few minutes was genuinely fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like the little dancy kid I always forget the name of but the one everyone calls a chicken nugget dipped in ketchup, Yuri's fan. I want to see more of him just because I dig blending swing and skates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dogsicle posted:

minami! i always gently caress up and call him nishinoya since they're so similar, lol

Yea him! I really liked him and Yuri's little episode, that whole 'hey don't look down on me for looking up to you' thing was really sweet and it was nice to see Yuri have a fan who wasn't family or an old friend at that time in the story.

Plus his outfit was snazzy and him being a swing dancer stood out a lot before we had JJ ROCK

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Finally watched the finale. Agree with most people I've seen, it was good, I liked it, but it very much felt like at the last minute they realized 'oh my god we're TOTALLY getting season 2' and hastily made the ending more 'open'. On one hand, yay more skating pretty boys, on the other I think I would have been happier with a self contained story that ended more...solid. Yea probably with a nice clear kiss or something. On the other hand, with S2 that may help things out considering how much they had to cram in the last episode, may be better to do a more slow conclusion kinda thing now that everything is established?

I dunno, I liked it, but it had frustrating parts that soured it a bit and that kinda blows considering how solid it was up till the end.

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm kind of curious how many fans of this show are women, and how many are men. Almost all of the people I see celebrating on twitter seem to be women

Idk. I'm a gay dude, and obviously I dont speak for all gay dudes, but stuff like that makes it hard to escape the feeling that the relationship in this show was still kind of fetishized for women, in that it was about two ~perfect cinnamon rolls~ who ~never do anything wrong~. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that one, so eh. In any case I'd like to see more queer dude stories written by queer dudes

Like YoI isnt a bad show or anything! I read that interview with johnny weir a few days ago and it's incredibly cool that he loved it. I'm glad the team put so much effort into researching figure skating

Also gay dude here. I think I would more call it a typical romance anime than a fetishized one. If you want fetishized gay relationships made mainly for women to obsess over allow me to gesture broadly to the entirety of yaoi. Still, I do get that that's kinda like saying 'well yea maybe this had some issues but there's a worse thing, so...ya know...'

I think it hit very typical romance anime tropes, though, and that's what saved it for me. A typical romance anime story usually focuses less on the 'bad side' of relationships and more goes around the awkwardness and personal issues that can hamper things, and I think Yuri did that pretty well. Their 'worst' moment as a couple was almost certainly the parking garage fight and that kinda worked well with it being 'ok we're both kinda terrible at this and very vulnerable in different ways but we clearly both need to work harder on our issues' kinda focused. It was both a relationship beat and a story beat, and that's kinda the style of romance stories like it. It's a bit of escapism, yea, you watch a kinda idealized relationship where the power of cuddles and kissy faces makes you a better person. I think its biggest 'win' for representation is it took a normally very heteronormative genre and made it almost entirely centered about male relationships, both romantic and platonic.

I think in doing that, in exploring the ways men can form bonds and all ranging from Yurio's adorable rivalry/friendship to full on gayballs Yuri/Victor stuff, with things like that other russian guy's hilarious ice skating meltdown about his girl leaving him and Chris owning his sexuality in a way that usually is a big 'haha queers am I right' joke in the medium. Hell it even made me love King 'ew hets please go' JJ by the end because it showed a very real vulnerability in a guy that normally wouldn't be focused on, or presented as something to be ashamed of and buried down or something.

I don't think it's the magic start of the Gay Revolution, but I do think shows like it being so popular do show a progressive movement, and I'm a-ok with it being typical romance anime sappy stuff in that lens.

e: also unrelated, but speaking of platonic male relationships please have S2 involve Yuri being Minami's mentor proper.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 23, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

So I finished the series and I'm a little confused as to why some people hated JJ. I was expecting him to be some huge rear end in a top hat, but he's just really confident in his own abilities and open in thinking he's the best. I don't think that's really a bad thing.

Straight

Was Mean to Tiny Russian Rage Ball

But yea I think most of the JJ hate was kinda joking in the sense of 'oh boy this guy is almost certainly gonna get some twist of fate with this attitude', and then he actually did and it was actually sad and we all stopped

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Adel posted:

Season 2 could be "The Dumbass Adventures of Yurio and His One Friend Otabek" and it'd be AOTY for me.

throw in the occasional cut to 'embarrassingly in love Yuri and Victor driving everyone around them crazy' and you got yourself gold.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's very good that actual skaters love YoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

Of course, I only need Yuri and Victor. I wouldn't need Yurio. Or Phichit. Or JJ. :ohdear:

if I'm not making my own diorama ice skating tournament by this time next year Amiami has failed me

• Locked thread