Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I want to watch this, but Crunchyroll doesn't seem to agree with my computer. I can get other shows to play, just not this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Talkc posted:

After this episode if they do a cop out im gonna cry.

I have no idea how one would back down from this level of gay.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

This is closely followed by Yuri giving Viktor bedroom eyes and Viktor whistling, I don't think the intention here is lost on anyone.
You'd be surprised. I've found a number of reviewers who are sticking with "Boy, Yuri sure loves his katsudon."

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

... I think I kind of want a link now.

This is the first one that came to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNRwbL6Y0E

At this point the story feels like a gay coming of age story that happens to be wrapped in a sports anime. It's really weird that no one is going past "I ship it" in their discussions.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Having actually had a chance to watch all three episodes now, I'd have to say that if they don't go for an actual romance, they've gone past ship-teasing and into being actually deceptive. The plot of episode three was "Yuri learns how to skate sexy after realizing that he's super-hot for Victor and learns some feminine moves to put this across on the ice."

I would actually summarize it as "Yuri has problems tapping into his sexuality and realizes that the heterosexual masculine role isn't for him."

If that isn't queer I don't know what is.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Man, the internet has been busy. Have some more links:

Comparison of the openings from episodes 1 and 2
Yuri Plisetsky's blades
More on the routines. plus the pressure of being a local sports hero
Why this isn't really Yuri's last season
Speculation on Victor's arc

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 24, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

People wanted more essays, right?

How the routines would translate into scores
Yurio's spins

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

This account has lots of dub clips beyond this first one:

https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790753225393643520

I'll admit it, I laughed.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I had a bunch of thoughts on the episode:
Yuri is the equivalent of Johnny Weir.
Yurio is terrified of what happens when puberty catches up to him. IIRC, a lot of figure skaters have a few bad years when this happens and they have to relearn their bodies.
Maccachin is going to die when they're away :( (I'm guessing Maccachin's about 12, which is the average.)
VIctor is an international treasure.

Have another post:
Various things, including an explanation of a skating gag that went over my head

ETA:
The GPF skaters with their real-life counterparts
Shoma Uno (Skate America winner) and his 3-quad program
Comparison of CR with what aired in Japan
Notes on what Victor has planned for Yuri

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 27, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

People wanted an in-depth explanation about scoring, right?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Time for more links!

Production video of rough frames on top of the CG rink
How Yuri could lose to Yurio in Russia but still make it to the GPF
More information on what's been shown in the show (Some of this will be familiar if you've been reading the other links.)
Take this as you will

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It sure looks like Victor has decided his new way of surprising the audience is to make it look like he's sleeping with his student. Not that any of us are complaining.

More links, although none of them are megaposts explaining what we didn't get in this episode. Yet.
The role of the choreographer in skating
The process of drawing one of the jumps
Speculation that Victor doesn't speak Japanese, hence all of their scenes are in English

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

How Yuri still won, even with all his terrible jumps
Notes on how much time has passed

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Apparently fandom won't stop arguing over what language they're speaking

In RL figure skating news, the Rostelecom Cup has ended (minus the exhibition) and Trophée de France is next weekend. Shoma Uno is the first to quality for the GPF.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

there's only so much "VIKTOR IS ABUSIVE!" I can take at once.

Blue Nation posted:

The tumblr theories have gone from "Victor is abusive", to "Victor is hiding an injury", to "Victor is dying", even when the show already stated that Victor's concerns come from a lack of inspiration and him reaching the age when people start retiring. I guess part of the audience really like angst in their shows...

I've been lucky enough to avoid seeing these. I have no idea how people can seriously argue for them.

How Victor, Yuri, and Yurio reflect the styles seen in mens skating (Seriously, watch Plushenko's routine; the footwork he does at 2:30 is amazing.)
Russian nicknames are bonkers

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The CD track list has been leaked

Notes: L'homme armé (more appropriately translated to "the armed man", not "the gunman") is a very old French song, but there are no skaters from France in the lineup. The piano concerto is almost certainly what we're hearing in the PV, since the snippet that we've heard seems to be in the right key.
So far we've also heard Eine kleine Nachtmusik and Mendelssohn's violin concerto. I will continue to laugh if they pull out similar pieces for the rest of the disposable skaters.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I was underwhelmed with the music in this episode. Production suffered quite a bit with Phichit's routine, but that's probably to be expected given how many routines we're seeing. Chris makes me cringe.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's time for what people are saying online!

General skating stuff relevant to this episode
The plot to "The Prince and the Figure Skater"
Serious devotion to how figure skating is shown on TV Asahi
Yuri's Eros routine in each episode (video)

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 10, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Apparently Georgi's portrayal is authentic to the role

Also, the Trophée de France (4rd GP event) is happening right now. If you want to know how to watch it, click here.

Looks like Javier is going to the GPF. This makes him the second to qualify.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 12, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The Yuri On Ice skating season is a bunch of years smashed together

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I usually don't share fanworks, but this is something special.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This fandom is bizarre. Apparently I'm "projecting" by suggesting that Yuri wasn't aware of his own sexuality at the beginning of the show. Did everyone else forget that he said that he hadn't ever experienced passionate love before?

Have a costume reference.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Parts of the fandom still insist that yuuri/victor isn't really happening/ going to happen and I wonder if they just want something to kvetch about for the next few years because everyone loving loves something as ridiculous as a ship war

Really? Her's a post that goes into great detail as to how the scene was set up and clearly written as a kiss, despite the lack of an onscreen lip-lock.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Has there been a guy/guy kiss in an anime this popular before? I can think of a number of reasonably popular shows with open lesbians in them, but not gay men. Granted, that's partly selection bias on my part...

No 6 and Shinsekai Yori both had gay kisses.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Yeah, but is YOI popular? I have no idea how to judge these things.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's Crunchyroll's most watched anime in a bunch of US states, canadian provinces, and european countries, apparently, so somebody's watching it - I don't know if it's popular in the absolute sense, but enough people are talking about it that I would be surprised to discover it's this obscure niche thing.

I know that some series are more popular overseas than they are in Japan. I'm curious to know how many people are staying up to watch it/recording it in Japan since it does start so late, whereas it's pretty easily accessible in the rest of the world. We'll know for sure when the sales figures come out in a few months.
I'm sure I'll be preordering it like everyone else. Anyone know how long it usually takes for a show to come out in R1?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

It was probably less that they "felt the need" and more that they actually literally needed to.

I remember reading somewhere that the show barely passed Japanese censorship laws. (This is also my guess as to why it airs in the early morning in Japan despite not being that risque.)

Does anyone ever have a source for this? I just see it being passed around as if it's obviously true.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Gravitation was certainly stupid, but saved it's sex scenes for the obligatory naughty OVA and had quite a lot of guys kissing during the series.
That show completely fell out of my head. Ah, college...

On the 3+1+3 combos this show loves

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

If this is any indication, it should sell pretty well. #3 in the anime category, behind Gundam and Love Live.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I love how crazy Evgenia went for this episode :allears: Reading her tweets is a joy.

We can only hope she has a new exhibition routine done in costume.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Why not showing the kiss was probably the director's choice
The first of what's bound to be a lot of people trying to figure out the FS points

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dogsicle posted:

sakugablog actually posts translated interviews with the show's costume designer, if you're interested in their inspirations or directions they were given by the director. you can find them here

That was amazing, thank you.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This weekend was the Cup of China. Patrick Chan will be going to the GPF. If anyone cares about ice dance, the ShibSibs will be going as well. :woop:

The NHK Trophy (final event before the GPF) will be next weekend. If Yuzuru Hanyu or Jason Brown get on the podium, they'll be going to the GPF; if Alexei Bychenko can do silver or better, he'll be going.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Giant post explaining all the mistranslations in episode 1-6 <- Even if you don't normally click on the links I post, click this one. It's worth it. Check out the whole blog, there are a lot of relevant posts tagged with "catsudon on ice."

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Does anyone know how likely we are to see better subs on the dvds? I've never watched a simulcast before.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dogsicle posted:

due to the funimation-crunchyroll partnership, i'd expect funi to release the discs. no idea if they'll be doing a particularly thorough second pass though, and i definitely wouldn't expect it to suddenly be bursting with the nuanced stuff you're seeing in that tumblr post.

On the other hand, they've already corrected "girlfriend" to "lover" for certain lines in the dub.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm glad I was already familiar with how qualifying for the GPF works. That was a lot of info dumped at the beginning.

Noooooooo, Maccachin. I've had standard poodles and it will be devastating if things aren't ok.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The NHK is over and the GPF lineup is in. It's almost the same as last year: Fernandez, Chan, Hanyu, Uno, Chen, and Rippon.

I'll do a massive link dump when I get home and get a chance to search through everything.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Post time!

Kissing the surface isn't something limited to JJ, also he's Catholic
No, he's not Catholic (Personally, I'm going with a dual meaning for that cross, it's practical and religious.)
JJ's tattoo
Qualifying for the GP series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

devtesla posted:

That wasn't the tattoo I was curious about lol
The terrible tattoo thread is thataway.

• Locked thread