Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I also fully expect the brain thing to not be acknowledged again either. It really was framed as a sight gag.

I could see it coming back up if FlipFlap turns out to be evil, which is still a possibility - albeit less so now that we've established that the Klan is a separate entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

The yonic symbolism is goddamn hilarious in this show

https://twitter.com/Hitokiri1/status/791783966508363776

...Hm.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was good. Spooky Yuri Town was a fun theme. Thoughts:

-Interesting that it apparently helps P&C transform if they have an object to focus on. I guess the idea is probably to give them something to help remind them of the emotions that drive their transformations.

-Interesting that Yayaka first showed up all dolled up just like everyone else. Between that and how long she apparently farted around before realizing what was up, I very much doubt that her 'mindset' (coughcoughOrientationcough) was as different from Cocona's as she bragged.

-Between how in sync the creepy twins are and Bu-chan doing a simultaenous male/female symbol upon seeing them together, I wonder if they're actually separate people or just two aspects of a single entity.

-So with today's PI being a straight up recreation of Cocona's school + nightmarish imagery + a whole lot of lillies, I feel like it's all but confirmed that PI reacts to the mind of those who enter the same way something out of Persona would.

-This creates an interesting feedback loop when it starts amplifying the feelings of those who enter. We obviously saw it at work with P&C getting increasingly cuddly with each loop they went through. Makes me feel more certain that Papika, being almost entirely driven by moment-to-moment emotion and desire, originally comes from PI.

-I'm pretty sure that, by the time we reach the point where Cocona is closing her eyes and literally puckers up for a kiss that first time Yayaka leans in to tell her what's going on, Cocona being into girls has stopped being subtext and become just a fact of the show.

-That confrontation at the end of the episode was pretty interesting. Still not sure whether or not any of the kids are actually capable of using their powers in the 'real' world.

-Also, Papika not telling Cocona what the whole quest is for is beginning to really loom large. They're clearly on course for some sort of falling out if Papika doesn't tell her before it's too late. ...Although I suppose it's possible that Papika doesn't entirely understand what it's purpose is either. We don't know what Salt's told her, let alone what his actual game is.

-Flip flap, flip flap...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

they flashed images of the world they visited for like two seconds

they went there and then yayaka beat them again

Twice, in fact. Early in the episode they're complaining that Yayaka's beaten them to 3 amorphous, as of Episode 4 we'd only seen them do that once.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatched. Some other things I caught.

-I like that you can tell that P&C are closer now because (besides the obvious) they don't get separated upon entering Pure Illusion.

-This episode also confirmed that you can use the same opening to enter different PIs.

-...Or did it? What if it's the same 'location' just changing depending on the mindset of those within/whatever magic? I don't expect a clear answer there, just interesting to think about.

-I didn't realize on first viewing the significance of Yayaka going "Greetings" when she first ran into P&C in the Illusion rather than saying something else. Pft, "different mindset" my rear end, I bet she was stuck in that loop even longer than P&C were.

-That said, where the hell were the twins through all that? Did they come in after her when she got stuck?

-I do wonder what happens to a single person like Yayaka in SPOOKY YURI PARODY land. Did Yayaka just get buddied up with one of the faceless spooks until she broke the loop?

-At first I thought the doll turning back to face P&C in their beds was just the doll being alive, but on second watch it seems pretty clear that it's actually just getting rewound in time to before Cocona adjusted it.

-You know, they ought to stop bringing Bu-chan along on these things if he's just going to get brainwashed by the villain of the day every time - unlike the girls he can't henshin to make up for it.

-I hadn't noticed until this episode, but P&C's Magical Girl outfits each only have one legging - on opposite legs, natch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

q0uqKlQ3nY0

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, but Papika made it sound like it took some doing. Presumably she fought them off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So the enemy of the week was an oppressive setting coated in lesbian symbolism where a degree of girl-girl affection is allowed, but only within certain tight constraints, and the girls are slowly turned into a single hollow archetype forever experiencing bland, trivial pleasures in an eternal school.

Good to see that our heroines have breezed past the Class S stage, I guess.

Yeah, it was a pretty good, biting parody.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

It's also interesting to see that fear actually exists for Papika but what specifically makes her afraid is well, this sort of thing.

Someone was talking about how PI might react to the mentality of the person entering it, but in this instance it's Yayaka, no?

She goes to the same school and wouldn't be that hard to read as being into girls (or at least Cocona) herself, so that still holds. Heck, it might hold better if this PI was reacting primarily to her, considering that the Illusion's whole thing was kind of enforcing conformity to a very specific set of norms and repressions. It wouldn't surprise me if that ties in pretty well to whatever Yayaka's arc ends up being about.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yayaka being dressed up and saying 'Greetings' seems like a strong hint that the illusion effected her at least a little

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

I must admit i hadn't considered something like that since we only see her in the dark until the end

Actually i wouldn't have considered that at all tbh is that a thing with mind control in lots of anime?

I don't know about 'lots of anime', but if you take a look P&C's colors become significantly more muted and less saturated when they don the Illusion's school uniforms and start getting hypnotized into the Class S poo poo. Their eyes are also noticeably duller at points as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I don't get the impression that that's what our heroines are looking for

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

No, Cocona, not that situation.

So quick to cheat on Papika :ohdear:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well. Lots to unpack in this one. Two main thoughts:

So...why the gently caress were Iro's memories just floating around in PI? And Auntie seems a lot like grandma...

Also, not sure whether the Episode wants me to start thinking that Cocona and Papika and maybe Iro are all aspects of the same person, or if P&C initially taking turns with the different memories before coming together at the end was meant to symbolize Iro struggling to contextualize those harsh and happy experiences with each other. Leaning towards the latter right now.

Edit: I feel stronger about that last point after remembering that the episode's name is Pure Play. P&C playing out someone else's part together.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 10, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like we have further evidence - as if we needed it - that Pure Illusion is built off the human subconscious. Also additional - though not particularly conclusive - evidence for the 'Papika is a being from Pure Illusion created by/from Cocona' theory. At the very least, if they do choose to go that way, we can now say there was foreshadowing.

Goddddd I just hope Papika doesn't disappear. Would be predictable and depressing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

It feels more like the latter to me.

Yeah, that probably makes the most sense. I had been assuming that it's like the TV world in Persona 4, where it's a blank slate until a human inhabits it and then reshapes itself around their subconcious, but there's very little reason to believe that Iro's ever been to PI.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen a few people on twitter who I thought made a little too much of the tone of this episode. It's obviously the 'realest' this show's gotten by a pretty considerable margin, but I didn't see anything there that truly clashes with the fundamental sense of optimism I get from the rest of the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I just wanna say "holy freaking crap, the colors this episode!"

The mood lighting was absolutely incredible all through the memory sequence.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/797506975680647169

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/797510255219449856

Completely missed this the first time around, but it's kind of hard to unsee now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/798627132175880192

Wonder what's with Papika seemingly changing her fashion in this episode. The shot of Cocona falling and Yayaka looking down make me think there'll be at least some PI stuff - will Papika's new looks be a part of the Illusion, or just her playing around outside?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Command Ant posted:

Maybe it's just me, but in that shot where she's holding Cocona by the cheeks, it kind of looks like Papika...

... Turned into...

... A BOY?!?

...Hm. That'd be interesting. Especially given she dons at least two other extra-femmy looks in other shots. Sensing that Papika exploring her own identity a bit might be a theme for this episode. Would be nice, given how little we still really know about her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That episode.

Man.

Well, I was wrong about this episode being about exploring who Papika is - it was very much about exploring Cocona's confused but decidedly romantic feelings for her. The end of the episode made it pretty clear that the many Papikas Cocona encountered were just illusions - or projections, rather.

The direction and framing through the whole sequence was really something else. Felt like Evangelion at its most surreal and introspective.

Interesting that Yayaka didn't even appear to try to save Cocona there - despite that they still consider each other close enough to confide in each other to an extent.

So...my initial reaction is that Mimi is Papika's first, deceased partner. Sister? Salt's daughter perhaps?

What an episode. Lots to chew on.

These are all broken on my end.

Edit: Ah, works now. Yeah, that exchange was fantastic. I like that Cocona says 'You mean as a friend?' and then basically asks herself '...what sort of stupid question was that?'

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 17, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Call me crazy here, you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that this show might just be a wee bit homoerotic.

Naw, I'm sure that 'fun thing' sexy devil Papika suggested was something totally innocent like video games, our heroine most certainly isn't thinking about banging her bestie, no sir

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, the 'Papika is a separated half of Cocona' theory does continue to gain ground. Notice how the illusion of Papika only ever lasted long enough to let Cocona step outside her boundaries and accept some aspect of herself before vanishing. The realisation of her desires even had them framed as two halves of the same person. I'm increasingly doubtful that Papika will stick around long after Cocona has fully grown into herself as a happy, adventurous, self-confident girl who's comfortable with her sexuality... although the rest of her school's female population won't know what hit them.

I really loving hope not, honestly. Even aside from shipping concerns that feels way too simple and predictable at this point. Also, I felt like the point of the episode was largely Cocona realising that she loves every aspect of Papika - but more than that she loves the unique synthesis of all those aspects. Papika is like a sister to her, to nurture and be nurtured by, but that's not all Papika is to her. Papika is someone to go out and get into trouble with, someone to explore spooky and strange places with, but that's not all Cocona likes about her. Papika is the object of Cocona's desire, but she's emphatically not just a sex object. Between how this episode focuses Cocona on understanding Papika and Cocona's feelings towards her specifically (Sexy Devil Papika asks: "Do you love me?" Cocona responds: "You're not the Papika I know" SDP: "Does it matter whether I'm the one you know?" Cocona can't answer, but there's a strong implication that she loves Real!Papika specifically), and some of the friction that's arisen between them previously, I'm still hoping Papika turns out to be more than just a Persona.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 18, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Younger Sister Papika I'll give you, but Delinquent Pompadour Papika was pretty great.

All bow before the might of the Papidour

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, you couldn't really see anything scandalous and I felt like it was handled in pretty platonic (or, y'know, familial) terms. The henshin sequences are way more risque all by themselves.

The only thing I thought was really egregious about this episode was Cocona's joke vision of hell when Yayaka was messing with her about what that gate was.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That's really cool.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Here's something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPkcjuZDGA

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm actually a little confused and not sure how/where people got on board with the show being explicitly Yuri as early as they do; is it from the Director being upfront or is there something I missed in episodes 1-3? I don't doubt its there but it seems like it was super obvious to everyone and it wasn't to me.

It's partly the director being up front about it - someone asked him on twitter if the Yuri vibes were intentional and he said yeah. But, I mean, episode 1 has two separate scenes where it looks like Papika is leaning in to kiss Cocona, only to reveal that she was only sniffing her hair plus a climax where Cocona saves Papika's life before they tenderly embrace while falling out of the sky, then episode 2 is just...kind of horny in general and has a climax that features Papika declaring that she'll never let go of Cocona, then episode 3 has still more sexually charged imagery, Cocona delicately cradling Papika when she was afraid that she'd hurt her, and Papika literally going "I love love love love you~!" The show's been framing P&C in pretty romantic terms more or less from the word go.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, if you're looking for P&C (or P&Y, if the show does the lovely predictable thing and has Papika be Cocona's Persona and disappear at the end) to kiss I'm not sure it's going to happen just because of how this show eschews traditional narrative structure and relies on subtext in general. But, uh, I think the point at which Cocona literally considers banging an imagined, idealized version of Papika is the point at which the show has made its intentions explicit enough for any halfway reasonable viewer.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

thechosenone posted:

Something makes me feel like this is sarcastic. If I am correct, then I am sorry that you had to go through that.

Symphogear is a very good, fun show with more than one adorable pair of lesbians who the show quite literally sings to the heavens as being in love, but do not kiss. They do just about everything else, though. Take from that what you will.

Although that has more seasons in the pipes, so there's still time!

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 19, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not even sure she stopped at considering. That last scene with 'em both in negligees felt pretty post-coital.

I thought so too at first, but on the rewatch that would be pretty weird editing. The sequence of events goes from them slouching on the bed in their school uniforms and talking, cut to Cocona peeking out the window in her slinky dress, to both of them on the bed, still mostly clothed and Papina suggests that they do something fun and forget about their troubles. Cocona thinks that sounds fun, but that it's more important that she find Papika. Papina vanishes, disappointed and bored. Suggests to me that nothing happened, even if Cocona kind of wanted it to.

Mokinokaro posted:

Something that hasn't been brought up here but was discussed over at the anime subreddit is the idea that Sayuri hasn't been harmed by what they did, she's just changed.

Which was also a motif of this episode with the other Papikas. One of them outright says that change isn't a bad thing.

Sayuri painted because of her aunt. It was partly a coping mechanism. Now she's out socializing more and generally more upbeat. Only Cocona seems to consider this a bad thing because to her it feels like a piece of Sayuri is missing.

Cocona views the world in a way that everyone stands out with particular talents. Sayuri has no interest in the one that defined her in Cocona's eyes so the latter sees her as incomplete.

You mean Iro - Sayuri's the support lady back at FlipFlap. But yeah, Cocona clearly views Iro stopping painting as problem that needs to be fixed when it really isn't, since Iro's painting only ever came from a pretty unhappy place.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/800153074799149056

They literally cut to this shot seconds after I thought to myself "man this episode is Eva as gently caress."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cocona's face when Papika called her Mimi... :ohdear:

Also, I'd bet quite a bit that blue-pigtailed girl hiding in the robot ranks in the OP and from the preview for next ep is going to be called Mimi.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 24, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I have to respect this show's commitment to just doing whatever the hell it wants.

I will say, the whole episode felt like a bit of a trap for the stinger at the end. You're coming off of the Mimi line at the end of the last episode, probably worrying about what it means for P&C...and then the episode doesn't acknowledge it at all, and you get fun robot times with P&C being as openly affectionate as they've ever been and even Yayaka gets in on the flirting and whee this is fun! And only after 20 minutes of that do they hit you with the stinger and reveal that the Mimi business is going to be just about as bad for P&C's relationship as it could possibly be.

Also, I feel like the stinger pretty definitively shoots down the theory that Papika is just a facet of Cocona. Would make very little sense for Papika to forget who Cocona is, in that case - to say nothing of how explicitly romantic their relationship has gotten.

Also also, I feel like the stinger is setting up some deliberate parallels to Iro and Granny. What with a loved one forgetting who you are and all. Hope Cocona remembers how they fixed that problem sooner rather than later.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, I wonder if the specific mechanics were the reason for the size thing - Bu-chan's Pure Illusion avatar was a smaller version of Hidaka.

Oh my god I didn't catch this. This PI makes way more sense now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0az4FRhagk

:ohdear:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:qq:

This show has to end with Papika coming to understand that she loves Cocona as a distinct person from Mimi. I'm not loving emotionally ready for the other possible outcome here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm pretty confident it will. The first half was focused on Cocona developing, the second seems to be focused on Papika's development.

...Yeah, thinking rationally now that I'm not 30 seconds out, that seems to be the easiest path forward for the show.

But man, that is 3 episodes in a row where P&C have been super in love only for the stinger to make you wonder whether Papika even knows who Cocona is. I don't know if poor Cocona's heart can take another. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm adoring the character work, so I can't really relate. Cocona's my character of the year and it's not even close. I feel like the show's done a fantastic job of showing us her headspace without ever having her have to give long monologues about her feelings or anything like that - just through imagery and her interactions with people around. That hasn't let up at all since the plot started picking up.

• Locked thread