Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some yuri shows are plenty popular and even have pretty big lasting fanbases, symphogear is even going into its fourth and fifth seasons next year and pretty much everything in that show is about the relationships between the cast, many of which are heavily implied if not outright confirmed by people involved in the show to be romantic. having yuri subtext in a show isn't gonna win yuri on ice or osomatsu-san levels of popularity but it's not like it confines it to total failure

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually nobody makes anime targeted at you cause you're lame *rides hoverboard out of thread with two gay best buds while wearing sunglasses and giving the flips up*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/bisexualrobot/status/807832962955759616

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ha, owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sorry, i'm gay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ranzear posted:

In six words or less, why should I watch this?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

is that a boss rush

https://a.pomf.cat/yvlcbh.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
THIS WORKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED HOLY poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cocona, papika, yayaka, fist bumps, wedding dress armor yeah they're all great but, i think we need to look at the real important scene this episode

DR. HIDAKA WITHOUT HIS GLASSES

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have the ultimate plan to protect my daughter, and all it requires is my best friend being reborn into a child to become my daughter's ultimate wife

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
re: the credits being huge, apparently oshiyama has been pretty open about how they've needed tons of help getting these last four episodes done on twitter, if you can read japanese

and there was also this https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/811604021207105536

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not uncommon for shows to hit these kinds of production issues, we're just lucky they ran into them at the final stretch and not four episodes in, especially for oshiyama's first stint as a series director

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there's too much to worry about because it's clear that despite whatever trouble they've hit in these last four episodes, this show is a bit of a passion project for everyone involved and i doubt they're going to let it end off with anything but a bang. bigger shows have hit worse production troubles earlier on, i'm confident they'll be able to manage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool, after seeing some shows end with pretty disappointing reactions this season, to see pretty much everyone who's been into the direction of the second half of flip flappers shouting "holy poo poo"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's hard to beat somebody up with yayaka in the room

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i've said it a few times already but i feel like they could have benefited from getting a few extra episodes to pace things better in the second half. (i say extra episodes because there is no episode in the first half i could ever want to be cut)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the "real life sucks" meme

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i think it's pretty impressive that only the last four episodes struggled to get made, considering this is oshiyama's first time working as series director

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to be honest, i've kind of had trouble deciding what i think about this show ever since episode 8

but i've finally decided: it's extremely gay, and also good, and i'm proud to be the op of the thread and i hope cocona and papika live together and go on adventures together happily and also yayaka gets to hang out with them and pet uexkull while salt stands off in the background looking cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*in gunbuster intermission voice* FLIP FLAPPEEERS

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

- You are moving fancy from the OP.

Oshiyama: I'm smoking that "it's a flashy work." However, I do not think that OP and main part are moving so much in me (laugh) ", so I'm thankful that everyone is praising" I'm moving ". Compared to my past work, it is not that much moving, and friends of animators who know me understand that "Oshiyama, although it is the first episode, I have not moved it at all" (laugh) ).

i get it, oshiyama... i see where you're going with this...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

6—Does that mean you’d say you put more focus on Pure Illusion, and the events surrounding it, than the action, then?

Oshiyama: I’d say so, yes. I felt like using the multifaceted nature of human thoughts and perception to add some variation to the story would be something a lot of people would find interesting, but at the same time, there’s so much you can do with Pure Illusion that it makes things difficult. I knew going in that it would be a risky theme to tackle from a business/financial standpoint as well, but I figured “hey I’m still young, and if I screw up this director thing I can still make a living as an animator” (laughs), so I decided it would be worth the risk of trying something challenging.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oshiyama is a guy who's been doing really good key animation for 12 years and finally got a chance to put whatever he wants in a full show, and he definitely talks like it lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not that surprising if you look at oshiyama's work on space dandy. he wrote, directed, storyboarded and animated an entire episode almost entirely on his own, and it was his first time as a director on something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 9, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the back half of the show is not something that came totally out of nowhere, the screenwriter did not "jump ship" without talking about things with any of the remaining staff. things might have been presented a bit differently if she had been able to stay on the show, but the back half of the show was largely planned in advance, and the screenwriter even gave the director some tips on screenwriting the papika world episode since it was dealing with subject matter he's not used to writing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also, yayaka is not a personification of societal norms. she is a girl who is gay jealous for cocona, who is dealing with similar stuff, and that is literally all she ever was. the tone and subtlety in the show's presentation might have changed, but yayaka's character was always that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 21, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's real, original tv broadcast versions of shows do it all the time. you can even see it in the mha s2 opening

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope yayaka screams "gently caress YOU" every ten seconds

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yayaka: gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat
cocona: m-me?!
yayaka: Y-YEAH, SCREW YOU, DUMMY

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/routiao/status/911943407915778048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a reason people joke that it's easier to catch anime outside of japan than it is living in japan

• Locked thread