Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They should do a flashback where you can see it from each person's perspective, and then you can see who died and how the others reacted.
Some early leaked footage that may be a spoiler if you're very observant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know people keep going "HOLY poo poo THEY GOT A TANK HOLY gently caress THEY GOT A TANK" in wasteland things, and no exception here when they encounter a tank

But why isn't EVERY loving Wasteland army trying to get a tank? The military wasn't wiped out in armored combat I am sure there are hundreds of the loving things sitting around if you're willing to clear a military base for one, along with what, thousands of rifles?

Does nobody raid a Goddamn military base in this universe?

I think this is mentioned really early on? (People saying they tried to evac to them but they were over-run) Essentially any army base is going to be thousands of walkers in an enclosed area.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

When I realised how close they still were to atlanta I got pissed at the show.

I don't care if the comics haven't expanded on the world-wide dynamic a few hints or teasers here and there wouldn't go amiss.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Whoever got hit will take the full season to die, because otherwise there won't be any emotional impact.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blow posted:

Also, who was that hot blonde Dwight was doing shots with at the start?

Put there to make us realise what he's turning down when Negan offers it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TV logic: trucks enter the compound and aren't looked at, they escape, sneak around ... things?
5 episodes later it will cliffhanger.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Eyochigan posted:

And people gotta remember that he lost his eye. They had him throwing darts at the start of the episode, probably to demonstrate that he has no depth perception. Maybe he wasn't trying to hit the walker. Maybe he didn't see how close the other thing was behind him.

Also explains him being clumsy on rollerskates.

Ultimately, the show needed a reason for carl and enid to walk and talk together.

Has Carl driven before? Is it possible that he's just a terrible (and inexperienced) driver?

Humans still have really good depth perception from one eye, especially in a moving visual field (i.e. driving) - changing object sizes, parallax, etc. Try closing one eye and reaching for things. You won't be much less accurate.
TWD was probably angling at this but it's dumb either way.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My dad had a Ford cortina he left parked on a military base for 3 years for various reasons, with no issues beyond battery. For that matter, my brother is in the air force and everyone leaves their car parked up for 6+ months on deployment.

I've personally refuelled a car from a jerry-can that's been in a car boot for literal years.

The "gas goes bad in x months" thing isn't true. It "goes bad" in the sense it's octane will shift slightly, but other than messing up performance a bit and maybe running rough in bad cases, it'll be fine for a long rear end time. If it's left open it'll go bad faster, but in a tank? You'll be fine for ages.
I hear this mostly from Americans. I think y'all bought into a fuel stabilizer ad campaign or something.

I seriously want a throw-away line where someone mentions cars running rougher so this dumb thing stops coming up over and over.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cycling is just about the most efficient way of travelling. Maybe doubly-so in their situation since the relative silence is such a boon.

So of course they can't find bikes or they'll have a plot hole where everyone doesn't just get on their bikes and ride away from Negan.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Padding it out with actual people doing things is a lot better than padding it out with skating and 5 minute scenes with 20 words spoken.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

delfin posted:

You have completed the Epic Lesbian Sidequest!
<Your score just went up.>

Should have bought the map DLC instead. Sitting and/or walking in circles in Georgia is pretty stale by now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Also lmao why didn't she just say loving Negan and save 20 minutes of stupid

What would they do for the last half of the episode instead?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Nothing seems to matter on this show. Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and now he is on the show and people just want to see him dead and move on to the next thing.

Negan would be a lot more compelling is his entire range was a little better than "grin whilst making threats". That's kinda good the first time it's on screen.
Less so when it's on screen for 5 minutes.
Less so when it's been on screen about an hour or so by now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cjg posted:

What was the deal with Jesus at the end? He made it to the compound on foot then got on top of one of the trucks as it was leaving, then disappeared? Logically, I would think he jumped into the truck to ride back out of there. But hell, considering this show, he might have just jumped down and is hiding in the zombie moat. And Daryl noticed him, but the guys on the look out roof didn't? Whatever the hell happened there was poorly narrated, I think.

The next episode is a special extended one where we follow Jesus during the same events and get a new perspective.

Character development and poo poo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Best part of the episode was when Negan said someone had to die, and bad-highlights chick, surrounded by people, had to shoot the person 30ft away since she was the only one without plot armour.

Great stuff, 5/7 Dexter seasons.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I gave up watching this weekly at the mid-season break, and saved the remainder to binge at a later date.
Having now caught up I wish I had instead just mashed my hand in a door and considered the horror in that.

Whoever thought every scene had to be "two people sit 2 feet away and speak in laboured stage whispers" needs to be shot, and have their eulogy delivered in the same way.

What a crock of poo poo this has become. There's maybe 2 episodes of content in the whole loving series.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sasha had no reason to know about trashies betrayal, and therefore no reason to be killing herself to buy 2 seconds reprieve.
For all she knew Negan was walking into a situation where he was significantly outgunned, and should have been planning to use that to escape.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sasha, the lady who was established as being suicidal, got talked out of committing suicide in favor of a suicidally attempting to kill the man who killed the man she loved, failed, and then committed suicide?

I dunno dude, I don't think that's a plot hole

The laboured point was she wanted it to mean something (save Alexandria / her friends).
Honestly I can't remember whether we see her explicitly aware of the trashies deal, but she should have known about it at the time, as well as the fact Alexandria was armed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every bad guy in every TV show has a number of people sending them hate.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

UmOk posted:

Hey dudes! Have any of our fearless heroes died this season since episode 1? Please tell me Rick is dead.

They all died in season 5 and got replaced by whispering zombies who only talk about how killing everyone they meet is wrong but also guys we REALLY need to be killing everyone we meet.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks for reminding me they should be doing everything possible at this point to work out whether anything exists outside of Georgia.

Radio, TV, sat phones. All things you can realistically power.
WHY DONT THEY JUST PICK UP EVERY loving PHONE THEY FIND ANYWAY

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Someone actually shooting at Negan, rather than just talking about it (over 5 episodes), is a tad beyond the scope of the show though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well hey now. To be fair, there was that time Rosita shot his bat with her single bullet like a complete moron.

Please. I had blocked this out in order to try to pretend it was sensible.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cactus posted:

I've even watched The Last Ship, which is better than it has any right to be, particularly it's action sequences.
The Last Ship has things happen in the episodes, and there's always a new thing happening.

They don't fire a missile in episode 1, then sit below deck for 10 episodes whispering to one another about what it meant.
Also TLS explained the central mystery and conceit pretty drat quick and then went and created a show about people trying to put the world right with limited resources, problems old and new, and only FLANK SPEED to help them.

By TLS standards TWD is still in the first season.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redleader posted:

So how watchable and good is The Last Ship?

The premise is - one navy ship can save the world through teamwork, patriotism, duty, honor and flying the flag.
It's egregiously hammy but all the better for it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I feel like the show being on hiatus is making some of you post-serious about it again.
Don't get into that trap.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm 99% sure none of TWD has been shot on film in a few seasons. The grain is really inconsistent vs what the ISO should be, and it's visually identical when its overlayed on VFX.
If you look at YouTube clips and other "online sources" of it with medium-bitrates, its also really clean and noise free. Those codecs are really good at accidentally removing completely random noise, but usually leave some when its film grain.

I think they're just adding it in.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 17, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just caught the pilot of FTWD and it feels incredibly like someone on TWD played The Last of Us and thought "oh, hey that's a much better vibe".
Does it maintain this in any way or does it eventually fall into TWD tropes?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

From my POV I'm not looking for grade A TV from FTWD, but rather something that doesn't sit in neutral for, by now, all but 2 episodes of the season whilst people stage whisper their feelings.

S8 of TWD has been the worst series I've chosen to watch. I even denied watching the show to a colleague recently as I couldn't think of a way to defend my choice to do so.

The worst part of S8 is that NO ONE cares. Even the extras they're using have gotten noticeably worse. There was some good stunt work in the early sessons. Now whenever someone gets shot it looks like they filmed the first practice of ”ok fall to your knees then roll forwards".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still amazed negan survived without a blood transfusion that dude was gushing blood at an alarming rate

They only grazed his outer plot armour.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's different, in the way you'd easily spot the difference between a cow pat and a dog turd.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tortuga posted:

What season even is this now? maybe we should update the title to whatever it is.
As discussed last year, the show doesn't deserve another thread.
Also nothing has happened since S7.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The end of S9:
- Daryl stands over the body of Rick
- Hilltop is in ruins
- Maggies baby is a walker
- Daryl is now the leader of sanctuary and it was all his doing
- We think its all fading to black, is this the end ??
- screen goes black
- a white rectangle opens on to the screen
- a silloute
- it leans backward
- "Now Daryl, do you need more time to think about how this could go?"
- daryl_expression.jpg
- real fade to black
We're on easy street plays over the end credits

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every time I see these GIFs I wonder how they manage to make the gun muzzle / bullet impact look as bad as that.
It's "youtuber with after effects" level poo poo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

precision posted:

Apparently Jesus and Enid are on Talking Dead tonight so I'm guessing they're getting killed, continuing the show's trend of "let's kill every new interesting character except Negan"
Enid is quite likely, as they're having trouble selling the actress getting older and her character staying the same age for years, as much so as Carl.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It MIGHT have been the Chinese food I gorged myself on, but I threw up in my mouth during this episode.
Not gonna lie though
Gabriel: "I'm not Catholic"
Garbage queen: *instantly grabs dick*

made me laugh

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fireside Nut posted:

Totally :same:

I really enjoyed the first two seasons (and the barn reveal at the end of season 3), but the precipitous drop in the quality of the show after that was astounding.
I know it felt like a long rear end time, but the barn scene was mid-way in S2.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh I am curious. Did anyone laugh their rear end off at the line from Maggie about how "We need a black smith, and we don't have one right now?"

Namely because the nobody extra Simon shot last season was the blacksmith. Someone must have actually realized that at some point on the writing team.
Consider your situation:
- food is your #1 priority
- you have lots of labour
- some of that is building something?
- lots are lumberjacks, and they're ok
- you seem to have found a horse spawn

Yet, with all that being the case, there's just no drat way to plant those crops without a rinky-dink tractor and an antique plough.

It's like each scene has a different writer, because half the people have the solution to the "conflict" of the other people, most times.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I liked that Alexandria was right next to a quarry and nobody even thought of using that to make concrete or anything.
No one gave them a book to tell them to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The towns people routinely walked between are now all only accessible by car, too.
Pity none of that machinery in the quarry could move some earth and help with the fields.
It's just not in the guide.