Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seems like good risk/reward to me.

That said I did look up fuel mileage on an Abrams, and at 300 gallons every eight hours (holy poo poo), yeah. I can see why nobody has a tank. You win this one, Walking Dead. (That said a M1126 Stryker is just as good as a tank for these purposes and gets 300 miles on 53 gallons of fuel, so I still think they should raid a base.)

That said no matter how lovely or stupid the tactics get on Walking Dead they'll never be as bad as Fear the Walking Dead. They make decisions that make dangling Glenn in the well look good, and the finale was equally hilarious. The Cartel raid was one of the most inept things I've ever seen on TV, on both sides.

Joe Toye had a tank in season 4. Daryl managed to one-shot it with a grenade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

I'd defiantly agree that the characters completely lack any sort of interesting personalities now. They are all just generic badasses who are occasionally given some sort of meltdown to keep poo poo interesting, whereas they mostly started out with pretty distinct character traits that are totally gone at this point.

Graduation into badassery seems to be the main theme of this show.

That's why I thought it was lame they killed off Tyreese/Noah/Nicholas/Carter(?) etc. They had some sort of, I guess 'quirk' that set them apart from 'murdermurdermurder'.

Tyreese was built like a brick shithouse, but was losing his will to spill blood. Noah was a well-meaning kid kinda just dropped in their laps unsure if he'd make it. Nicholas was a cowardly POS who seemed to be wanting to redeem himself but was still a coward at heart. Ethan Embry was against Rick at the start and was ready to cut and run at even the faintest whiff that something would go wrong with the herd plan (plus, he seemed to have been plotting a coup).

When even the priest is hacking through zombies and gunning down enemies, yeah, they are all pretty much palette swaps for one another at this point. Honestly, I feel Eugene is the only really 'unique' one left of the main crew.

E: I remember there was a guy in the infirmary (Heath's friend) that had a leg wound that was going septic until Denise found the answer in a textbook and drained it. Did he die, or is he still in the infirmary just waiting to die so that later Heath can get choked up and say 'He... he was such an important person in my life, not that we ever showed it on screen'?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Luvcow posted:

They've been in Mexico for about half the show. I absolutely agree that a snowy or mountainous location would be cool though.

They should at least do one of those little web shorts for it.

The Walking Dead: Buffalo. Ep 2: All the survivors starve/freeze when seven feet of Lake Effect snow hit. The lone survivor is a drunk guy with a back hoe.

E: lovely weather could actually play as a good reason for a group of survivors to have to abandon their current encampment, as opposed to zombies/ villain du jour breaking down the walls/invading.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Acacia REI posted:

Aside from the weird sickness they had going through the prison, does anyone in this show ever die from anything other than injuries (like walker bites or just being straight up murdered by someone)? You'd think in an apocalyptic scenario there would be more cases of, like, dysentery and botulism and whatnot.

Nicholas committed suicide (and so did some unnamed resident in Alexandria). Not sure if that counts from what you're asking.

Daryl's always eating gross things, and everybody ate that pack of stray dogs, so I'm surprised everyone isn't suffering from some pretty severe intestinal parasites. But then again, it wouldn't be 'exciting' tv if Daryl died from making GBS threads himself inside out.

E:But heck, even Z-Nation had a character dying from sepsis because she cut her leg on barbed wire. The closest WD came was T-Dog getting a little wonky for all of two episodes from gashing his arm open on a rusty car.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 19, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Acacia REI posted:

I thought about that right after I posted. So I guess yeah, the prison arc had some of those things going on but I can't really think of anything else.

I count suicides as injuries (self inflicted but still).

But yeah I'm talking about diseases and parasites and stuff. I think it would be cool if they incorporated stuff like that into the plot more often.

I'm surprised there aren't more unfortunate/whoops deaths.

There was that old man in Woodbury that died from cancer in S3, when Milton was doing that experiment to see if zombies have any memories of their living life.

E: I asked about it in a previous post if the guy was still alive, but Denise was taking care of someone with an infected leg injury (from getting shot). He's probably a goner too.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 19, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Luvcow posted:

I was hoping for more of a diarrhea storyline, maybe a riot starts over people hoarding toilet paper

This show has characters as low on ammo/supplies/food as necessary, and the dilemma tends to be wrapped up by the end of the episode.

In a deleted scene from the S2 opener when they went back to the nursing home, there was roughly a dozen people in the group, and all they had food-wise was like, a bag of chips, a bottle of wine, and a can of garbanzo beans. They got over it.

At the start of season 3, they were so low on supplies, Carl nearly ate a can of wet dog food before Rick smacked it out of his hands. By the end of the episode, they'd found the fully stocked pantry in the prison cafeteria.

Governor was coming for them and they're seriously outgunned and Rick is down to his last bullet. Crazy-town Morgan lets them take like, a dozen assault rifles and all the ammo they'd ever need.

People are getting sick left and right from the flu. Don't worry, they get back with meds in the nick of time before anyone important from the main cast succumbs to the sickness.

Everyone's starving/dehydrated to the point they're eating worms and wild dogs. Oh, here comes a rain storm and Aaron with supplies.

I feel like if they could play it right (haha, like that'd ever happen) a storyline about their futile attempts to keep someone alive/get someone help could be a good, melancholy little story arc. Like, for example, the emotions the group would go through if, say, they were out of formula for Judith, searching high and low for anything to keep her alive, and coming up empty handed and powerless to help her since a baby can't eat solid food. Or, say, someone comes down with something that would be easily treatable if society hadn't crumbled; like, appendicitis or pneumonia, or heck, even food poisoning from eating possibly expired canned goods. Some antibiotics and IV rehydration would have cleared that right up in the old world, but that's not a possibility now. Hell, even an allergic reaction could be lethal in the zombie apocalypse.

Granted, in a show about zombies, most people don't expect realism, but there's a lot that could be done beyond 'A bad man killed my friend, now I am sad'.

E: I think the only 'medical problem that is barely kept stable' they've ever shown was that girl with Dwight that had Diabetes. And she was dead by the end of the episode, so NBD.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 20, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hardawn posted:

Now everytime I read a Rick in this thread I keep thinking Sanchez

http://www.nerdragecomic.com/

My brother sent me this this morning. Ooooh weeeee...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

xxEightxx posted:

I dunno showing the fetus eat it's way out from the inside might beat that.

Has this ever happened in a horror movie? People are always like 'lol baby eating its way out of the womb'. Newborns have no teeth, so good luck with that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

John F Bennett posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake almost had something like that.

Yeah, but it just went infected mom had zombie baby, but it came out in a normal birthing procedure, not going all 'eating its way out'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Three years; it was S3. Though I don't remember any fan butthurt over it. What happened?

Probably meant that in regards to the 'best' episode, not the 'butthurt' part. Though I do know some viewers were like 'Who the gently caress?!' at the Morgan reveal. I know my dad texted me asking if we were supposed to know who that was. Of course, after the MSF in S4, he at one point asked me 'Where's Hershel?' so his TV watching memory is no good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I still can't believe there's a kid named Carl.

I think Kirkman named Carl after his father, so...

After the latest episode, I'm just hoping that there's a guy at the Kingdom making battle armor for the hogs. Just hogs in goofy plate armor and helmets.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh, they absolutely should end with a time forward showing Alexandria as the new capitol of a new nation that rises from the ashes, to maybe like 100-200 years later when humanity is actually rebuilding and it is revealed the next generation - Judith in particular - is actually immune to the zombie condition, and cannot contract it; they inherited immunity from their parents.

The world is reclaimed, Rick has a statue and is basically George Washington of the future, and we see some sort of museum dedicated to all that fell to restart civilization.

Seems like a really perfect ending to me, if they wanted to not suck. So they'll do the reverse of all of that.

I honestly think that one random theory may in fact be true: That future generations cannot contract the zombie plague. It kind of makes sense, and it would be a huge pay off for why the series - both TV and comic - have kept a baby in them for so long. Judith seems like something easier to cut for TV if she weren't plot important.

I think one day she will get bit, this will be revealed, and that will offer a great lead in to an exit of the series. But I could be wrong. It'd be a good way to end things, though, in my opinion; it'd all but assure that everyone's struggle to insure the next generation's survival would ultimately be the tipping point for humanity to recover, with zombie bites becoming painful injuries, not death sentences, and no fear of reanimation behind your own walls.

Or get bitten in a critical area like right on the chest, and not show signs of infection.

FTWD toyed with a group held together by a sort of cult of personality guy that had been bitten but didn't turn. Turned out he'd been trying to help a kid that they threw to the zombies because he'd been high on bath salts or PCP or something at the time.

Knowing WD show writers, the ending would start by showing some new arrivals in Alexandria and throughout the ep, they keep dropping how 'they need to go see Rick', so oh, you think Rick's the leader and they have to do an entrance interview a la Deanna's system. By the end there's a twist and it's revealed 'going to see Rick' is some sort of altar or sepulchre or something with Rick's ancient-rear end bones on display, and it's been so long he's become some sort of mythical figure because he kept their eventual lord and saviors Coral and Judith alive long enough for them to grow up and become those what solved the zombie crisis.

Or, they keep talking about going to see the monument to the great hero that saved humanity from the zombies, they go see it at the end of the ep, pan up and it's Gabriel or something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

T-Dog (forever still the greatest in our hearts) was using a fireplace poker and riot shield in S3, so he was basically a Spartan.

On that front, why didn't anyone else think to grab a shield so they could phalanx maneuver the prison zombies? Probably for the same 'reasons' that only Glenn thought to use riot armor after a few episodes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bobjr posted:

I always forget about T-Dog. Was he ever going to have anything more or did they just have no idea what to do with him?

I remember on a work trip, I showed my coworker 'T-Dog season 2 scenes' which was all of 5 minutes. When Merle came back I was like 'cool, he'll finally have a story arc!' and he was the only one to stand up for the 'nice' prisoners. But of course he died once he got a whiff of character development, which seemed to start the trend.

I wish he were still around.

E: I feel like S3 was just a shitton of wasted potential. Sure it had 'Clear', but for the most part it seemed like side characters just rotted on the vine. Oscar, Axel, Milton, Merle...

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 5, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Astroman posted:

I don't know if they ever get into it in the comic. I'm on the fence if I want them to show the "Secret Origins of Negan--REVEALED!!" because if they humanize him like The Governor it'll take away from the existence of Negan as a Force of Nature.

From what a friend told me, they're doing a little, like minicomic called 'Here's Negan' about what he was up to when the outbreak started. Turns out in this comic he used to be a coach at a school (I think baseball) and Lucille the bat is named after his wife Lucille, who died from cancer and reanimated at the start of the outbreak.

So at least in the comic, his back story and the Gov's backstory aren't too different. Lose somebody, go unhinged.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I guess, but I don't know what the alternative would have been. I guess it might have been interesting for them to get settled in for a couple episodes before getting shoved into the train carts, but I could also see that being incredibly boring. None of the Terminus characters were particularly interesting anyway so I'm happy how they handled it.

I think the problem was they weren't given much of a chance to be interesting.

And for everyone pooh-poohing S2, i found if you binge it and fast forward through any scene with Lori/Andrea/Beth, it's a lot more tolerable. I still think the Shane/Otis plot early in the season was awesome, but goddamn, how many times did Daryl need to go off searching? I also feel they could have done more with the 'dissent' among the ranks. Andrea, T-Dog, Glenn and Daryl seemed to be behind the idea that Shane was extreme/a little unhinged but he was right about the situation, whereas Dale, Lori, Carol etc. seemed fine to defer to whatever Rick said.

Also, Hershel's infinite ammo cheat was amazing and the only casualties of the farm invasion being Jimmy and Patricia, the two total non-entities of the season, started the downward trend of 'we need to kill somebody. Somebody not that important.' If anything, nothing happening on the farm primed us for nothing happening w/ the Negan situation.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are thousands and thousands of remaining cars. There are vast parking lots full of cars. The only cars they should bother actually trying to preserve are those that have been converted to run on vegetable oil. Those will be useful for years after the gas runs out/goes bad.

You're right about bikes, they should be using bikes. Quiet, easy to repair on the side of the road, uses no gas, bikes are ideal for their situation.

Seems like the kind of thing they could have Eugene on task for. Despite the fact he admitted he wasn't a scientist, has he ever explicitly stated what he did do pre-apocalypse? Despite being a huge goon, he seems pretty generally knowledgeable when it comes to things. Wasn't he running point in the warehouse where Noah got killed b/c he knew what they needed for solar panel components? Team him up with a mechanic, they'd probably have veg oil cars in no time. Or they find Ed Begley Jr's house and steal his car. His probably runs on vegetable oil already.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JustinMorgan posted:

Weren't Terminus and the Bad Cop Hospital on their journey North?

Those were still in the Atlanta area; they didn't head north until Beth's suicide by cop, and even then, Noah's community was in Richmond, VA IIRC.

I honestly lost interest in this show with all the dragging plots out, but I still like reading this thread for a laugh/to see what opinions are. Honestly, axeing Darabont was the stupidest move this show made. I rewatched a few S1 episodes, and the discrepancy is just ridiculous. You guys remember Rick's conflict with the Vatos gang over the bag of guns/hostage exchange for Glenn? Sure, 'oh, they're actually defending a nursing home, they're okay guys!' might have been a touch hokey, but they wrapped that poo poo up in a single episode. If they did that episode now, it'd be 4-5 episodes of:

'Give us the guns!'
'No! Give us Glenn back!'
'No way ese.'

Then Rick, T-Dog and Daryl brood/contemplate the decision for two episodes while staring blearily into the middle distance. Also Darabont had them wrap things up rather cordially, nowadays, they'd probably be raping all the old folks and high on opiates at all times, and Rick's group would leave no survivors.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't Rick's crew ever have an encounter with another survivor group that isn't evil, morally dubious, or outright useless?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

spudsbuckley posted:

The entire show is based around them going from place to place loving things up for other people.

Well, yeah, but I mean Hershel's master plan was zombie containment in barn, Woodbury had execution squads/torture rooms, Marinez's camp was doing okay until Solid Gov showed up, Terminus ate people, the hospital had some creepy rapey indentured servitude stuff going on (but they wanted no poo poo once the bad cops were dealt with), Noah's place was wiped out by the Wolves, Alexandria and Hilltop seem like a bunch of dumb, mostly useless wusses. Negan squad is into bashing heads, torture, and taking stuff. I guess the Kingdom might be okay, as Renn Faire as it is.

I just mean, where exactly is like, the 'other Rick groups', competent survivors that they maybe pass by without that whole group ending up slaughtered aside from a few B-characters that join their squad for like, eight episodes. They never just like, run into a different group for an episode then part ways, with those other survivors going on to god only knows what.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I know I'm a few pages late for skull-stabbin' chat, but has anyone ever failed on a headstab in this show? The only example I can remember is an episode of Fear. Our favorite goon tried to stab the undead (recently reanimated) principal and the blade glanced off and they had to resort to repeatedly clubbing him with a fire extinguisher to put him down. Some other bit of WD media had someone explaining it had to be eye socket, temple, or brainstem, otherwise the blade would skip off.

Meanwhile, in this show you have people able to gently push a knife into the skull of a freshly deceased person, easy-peasy. When Bob was put down, Tyreese didn't even have to give it a wind-up to get through the skull.

I know it's a magic zombie fantasy show, but there could be some tension/danger if every stab wasn't an auto OHK to zombie skull.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I honestly hope with the Savior war a-brewing, Morgan goes 'hey guys check this out' and reverts back to traptown mode, only less unhinged. He seems like the first guy to tap when you need to come up with zany defenses. Some of them like punji stick pit and axe trip line seemed like they were designed strictly for living people. He'd just have to tell himself it's the traps doing the killing, not him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know some frown on the comparison, but I'm almost done with season 2 of Z Nation and it has been far more enjoyable than the last season and a half of TWD thus far. It has a shitload of silly "get the gently caress outta here" moments, to be sure, but it also has had some surprisingly good character development, and keeping the main cast to an absolute minimum has also been hugely to its' benefit (much more so than how bloated TWD's character roster tends to be). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a change of pace from TWD's unrelenting grimness (and unintentional silliness, as opposed to Z Nation's intentional silliness).

I agree with the 'minimal' cast on Z Nation. When a character gets killed off on that show, it actually comes as kind of a surprise. Early in season 2 the crew was in a fight against bounty hunters and zombies and I remember it being pretty suspenseful because literally any character could have died. I'm actually surprised by deaths on that show.

I forget if the show tried touting 'no one is safe' like the comics did at one point, but both tend to have a 'tell' when someone's gonna die. None of them have really surprised or shocked me.

E: on the topic of the video game, anyone know if it has a thread in the games forum? I've tried looking a few times but came up empty.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Johnny Truant posted:

This season so far has made s02 look like loving gold. Take that how you will.

Hey, season 2 had Shane, Hershel's endless shotgun and this crowning moment of cinema:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHMS7ecN4J4

I had some old episodes on for background noise, and I actually miss the occasional flashback they would do. One of the best was Bob by himself, dead to the world.

Also, good God, Tyreese still has the most pathetic death of all time. Handily overpowered by a small child.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm honestly wondering if they're holding onto Daryl so he can be a big 'oh holy poo poo guys the stakes are high, SEE?!' deaths when they take on the Saviors. Because, honestly, the pack of characters whose death would make an impression is very thin. (Plus he hasn't been interesting IMO since Merle died)

'Oh no! We lost... uh, you know, one of the angry women!'
'I hate this show. They killed off Aaron's rarely seen boyfriend'

I'm guessing they're going to kill off Daryl, Carol or Morgan as a 'huge' 'impactful' death.

Benjamin, the kid that Morgan's training, is probably dead as Hell. Kid seems too nice, plus plot that gets Morgan and/or Carol back into the fight.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Guys, guys, guys. You're all missing a HUGE plot point re: the deer.

It wasn't bad cgi, it was the Ghost of the deer from alllllllllll the way back in S2.

Rick was obsessed with bagging it so Carl can talk about the deer.

Sheesh. Are you people even WATCHING this show?!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Andrew_1985 posted:

The trash people are the worst part of this drawn-out Neegan drama. I'm sick of these saviours. Did it drag on this much in the comics? Why are they so intent on following them?

What's everyone's favourite arcs?

From looking it up, Negan took out Glenn in issue 100 (though I think they showed up a few issues prior), war prep went until 114, the war lasted 12 issues.

I guess that we can expect the war to wrap up in season nine, with lots and lots of dragging.

I'd say best arcs are definitely Hershel vs the Flu, and IDK if it counts as an arc, but Shane and Otis trying to get the medical supplies in S2 was great; a high point in an otherwise bogged down season.

Space Crabs posted:

I'm waiting for Morgan to eat it because his pacifist crusade is possibly the stupidest stance to take in murder cannibal apocalypse.

unfortunately I think the writers want to use him as a drama generator so he can triple and quadruple down on being a pacifist while everyone else around him gets murdered. I guess they are building up to some kind of badass moment where he goes terminator on some saviors or something but the ride is not worth it.

My money is still on something causing him to snap and go back to murderlicious trap-king Morgan. I mean, he killed the guy last season to save Carol, so he could just be ready to snap back to old habits

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 11, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

They're loving nutballs. Several iconic Negan moments.. the heroes did the same things. Yet the show seems utterly unaware of it.

The Fear cast's lack of self-awareness is ridiculous. Smooth talker Strand and El Salvidad are the only interesting/not pants-on-head idiotic characters.

After the main crew brained a guy that was trying to stop Cliff Curtis from murdering people and the daughter killed the closest thing the Hotel group had to a doctor, I couldn't understand why they were bamboozled that Strand refused to go with them when they were being thrown out. I would have also been 'Yeeeah, I'm not particularly close with them'.

Both shows are like 'It would have been better if....' the series, but to different degrees.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Senor Tron posted:

Just went through the comic wikia getting deluged in spoilers and man I hope they change things up.

Oh God, I'm sure they won't. My brother collects WD omnibus collections. I've flipped through them because he keeps them in the bathroom. The only 'change ups' are a slight shuffling of 'X minor character dies in place of other character', like Denise getting Abraham's comic demise.

A lot of hardcore comics/show fans online are falling all over themselves speculating 'I hope X character gets THAT AWESOME DEATH from the comics'. The comics are not good.

They even plonked themselves out of some plot points. For example, Nicholas was a bit of a player in the war storyline, here he's been dead since S6. So they'll probably shuffle in one of their other B characters or pop in a redshirt to take his arc/death.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 29, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

melon cat posted:

It's really odd that they show Negan with his 7 concubine wives (many of whom he abducted/stole from his subordinates), but then try to paint him out as an "okayish" guy who has rules against rape. It's like they combined two different scripts, and never bothered to reconcile the differences between early-season Negan, and late-season Negan.

I think they're trying to show what Negan's doing with his wives, he rationalizes as 'okay', because he doesn't force them to sleep with them, they do it of their own 'free will' (for benefits for themselves/husbands/get out of the not-so-cushy points system). Based on the structure of the Saviors they 'willingly' join his harem. But actual non-coercive rape? Hold the phone, mister!

I forget, didn't they burn a dude's face like Dwight's in the first half of the season for the 'crime' that his wife/gf went back to him?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Woof. At least they finally got to the fireworks factory, I guess.

And I'm not really surprised, but I was hoping maybe a quick Bob or Tyreese cameo in the 'Sasha remembers' segments. But then again when Tyreese got chomped by the world's weakest, sneakiest zombie, he hallucinated Beth of all people rather than his dead girlfriend.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Right when tiger-ex-machina happened and the Kingdom/Hilltop crews both sprang into action, my boyfriend who had been quiet the entire fight scene finally said 'This. Is. loving. Terrible.'

Personally, I thought it was hilarious that both groups seemed like they were already there but just quietly waiting to make the most dramatic 'cavalry has arrived!' moment ever (was a Kingdom guy carrying a loving banner?!)

Then again, I laughed when Rick was being led toward Negan and Carl, and the first dead no-name Alexandrian he saw was literally in a red shirt. Just once I want a throwaway line 'Did this guy even live here?'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Iowa Snow King posted:

Rick and Negan have a five minute conversation about which side the dead guy was on

Nobody can remember ever seeing him before

That's a show I could watch

I mean, I'm expecting the 'war' to get stretched out over all of next season, Hell, maybe partway into 9, I wholly expect there to be lots of cushy padding. This sort of mystery could fill a whole episode!

All the leaders pause to try and negotiate, and in the brief cease fire, everyone takes the opportunity to dispose of their dead.

Cut to a tense standoff of an Alexandrian, a Kingdom guy, a Hilltop guy, a Savior and a Trashman, all standing around something.

Gabriel hustles over, already exhausted from saying quick Hail Marys for all the dead.

A dead body on the ground. The tense conversation? Nobody knows who the gently caress the dead guy is. Cue forty minutes of them puzzling over the fact, while Gabriel tries to look for clues, since he 'used to watch CSI a lot'

The negotiations are getting tense, when Jerry bursts into the room, frantic and out of breath. They need to get out there, fast!

Everyone has gathered around awaiting Gabriel's conclusion. After promising build up... no, he is just as stumped as everyone else.

Negotiations resume; briefly. Peace isn't achieved, but they've at least decided what color bandanna each group has to wear.

The following episode, Negan rants to Simon and Eugene that everyone's going to die now because the Saviors ended up with pink camo.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ProperCoochie posted:

There's a couple that have been around the last few seasons. There's the bald guy that is Sasha's IRL husband, and the woman with short black hair. They fought in the finale and also made the trip to Oceanside, which I like because it makes the world feel real (at least a little bit) and that the story isn't just about Our Heroes.

There's Tobin and Eric. Tobin was the guy that was sweet on Carol before she took off, and Eric just kinda shows up when Aaron's not trying off trying to steal boats. The fact that the camera focused on the five or six 'named extras' during the Oceanside robbery and the initial fight seems like they're trying to remind viewers 'oh hey! Remember these guys?!'

I would bet none of them make it out alive.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Markorjoshua posted:

Is this season being received negatively elsewhere or is this thread extra brutal?

I think this season has been a low point and that the show is making GBS threads on its viewers.

A.V. Club allows user ratings to assign a letter grade. This season, the highest user rating was an overall B for the episode with Morgan and Carol being introduced to the Kingdom. Overall the season's average based on these ratings haves it at like a C. Passing, but not too great.

Personally, I think it got dull.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Moist Turtleneck, you are a delight as always!

Aside from all the other things to pick on about this show, I was wondering, who the Hell is the medic now for Alexandria/Hilltop/Kingdom crew? I know the Saviors have the doctor they took hostage from Hilltop but Rick's crew ???

Oh... oh no...

Season Eight episode 3: With casualties mounting and the wounded in desperate need of medical attention, Daryl and Rosita undertake a dangerous trip back to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta to recruit Dr. Edwards.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why do people think TV seasons change based on audience reactions? The whole season was in the can before we even saw the first episode.

There was talk that the back half of this season had a number of reshoots/edits (and I think the last eight eps are still filming when the season premieres)

No idea if it was related to poor viewer reactions in the front half of the season though. I'm sure it was more like 'this sequence doesn't make sense' rather than 'Fuuuuuuuck, Steven Ogg's character is the only one people actually like!' *hastily slams out four new scripts*

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh, the bit about Ogg was just a throwaway hypothetical; but you make a good point.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do they have any material from the comic that would make a watchable show after the Negan thing? I vaguely remember someone in this thread telling me it's just peace and farming after they beat the Saviors.

Right now in the comics the new villains are a bunch of chuds that dress in skin suits made from tanned Walker hides, and made a big move where they lured away/captured ten people and created a 'border' with them that sparked off a new all-sides hullabaloo. I feel it's just a grosser looking repeat of every other 'enemy' they find in WD. The only difference after the Saviors is some of the communities are jumbled around, some new characters have bigger roles, some surviving Saviors now collaborate with Rick's group. In the peace and farming point, it just shows the communities are thriving and are now super-competent at zombie moving.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

When the show either outpaces the comic or it's time for show to be taken out to pasture, I hope they don't try to shoehorn in a reason/explanation or cure for the zombie problem.

God, I don't even want to imagine...
Episode 1: a mysterious stranger is seen lurking around Rick's group!
Episode 2: a deadly game of cat and mouse! But who's hunting whom?!
Episode 3: Daryl or someone gets injured/impossibly trapped by walkers during the search! It'll be Daryl.
Episode 4: They finally catch the man, who claims to be a scientist! He has all the information on the disk... only it's a 3.5" floppy!
Episode 5: The team debates trusting the man, particularly the data format. Everyone wonders where Daryl is to send him on a trip to find it. Morgan and Ezekiel go.
Episode 6: Bottle episode; we get to see Daryl wince and cry as he struggles to rejoin the group.
Episode 7: on a dangerous adventure, Morgan and Ezekiel have to venture into an underfunded inner-city school in search of a suitably old computer.
Episode 8: All storylines converge, and the new arrival seems nervous when the appropriate computer arrives. After setting it up, he hesitates, until Rick pulls his gun, threateningly. Right after he inserts the floppy, but before anything can be shown on the screen, Eugene appears. Shocked, he asks: 'Marcus?' *tense musical stinger*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

If McPoyle ever leaves Westworld he should totally join the trash people cast, as McPoyle.

There's a bizarro version of that teamup in the first season of Hap and Leonard (it's up on Netflix).

Jimmi Simpson plays a gun runner and Pollyanna McIntosh is his girlfriend/bodyguard. And they're loving ridiculous.

But the whole time I just kept thinking 'McPoyle and Trashlady!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 13, 2017