Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Glenn dies?

Nah it's Daryl and Abe I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Has this not been spoiled anywhere yet?

Haha did you just click on one of the hundreds of NEGAN KILL LEAKED videos that are currently spamming your youtube sidebar because you watched a few walking dead clips some time?

It Glenn and Abe, the shadows said so.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There is no way that that is the dumbest thing Kirkland has put in his comics.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If you want to have Morgan and Carol's battling ideas you can't prove either one unequivocally wrong. You can't just make Morgan wrong all the time it has to pay off with his kind of thinking sometimes too.

There were hints of this with that wolf guy saving the doctors life just before Carol shoots him. Also I believe the resolution of the negan arc and the subsequent time skip has Rick coming to a similar conclusion and adopting a more moderate civilised way of being for the community. E.g. negan ends up jailed instead of executed.

I do think a lot of the shows criticisms end up getting addressed, or are going to be if you take where the source material into account. It's just that they love to drag things out, repeat past mistakes, miss or squander blatant opportunities to do interesting things with either premise or character, and when they do make a good decision for the show, it's hit and miss as to whether the execution of said decision is done in a satisfying way.

For me hate-watching is the wrong term; I like the show. It's more like frustration-watching, and as such I also like reading posts that poo poo all over it as well as ones that like it because they're both valid positions to take.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

Carol didn't work for me because one minute she's scared and wifey, the next she's murdering friendlies, then suddenly she's Rambo. Daryl or Rick I can tell where they got their skills, her not so much.

This is a very good point, and I say this as someone for whom Carol is a favourite: but yeah, exactly how and where did she get her elite killing skills from? Like the latest example where she sleeve-machine-gunned all those dudes. That whole scene was set up with the assumption that this is a badly one-sided match in favour of Carol, she was pleading with them to run so she wouldn't have to kill them all. Yes, the individual standing alone in the middle of a road with 4-5 people all with guns trained on her was depicted as the foregone conclusion to win the fight because she is Badass Carol. That scene didn't work at all.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bored posted:

Actually, they just filmed a death for each character, then they are going to have a whole episode devoted to Neegan's backstory, then have a contest during the talking dead where the winner gets to choose who dies. Then we will see them die in episode 2.

Did they actually do that? The filming I mean. I saw it in some clickbait article about how AMC were using the death scenes in contract negotiations but assumed it was bullshit. Then again it's AMC we're talking about.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's the problem though Rick was always a DPS/Support hybrid, but since he lost his main tank Tyreese, he's been trying to take on the role and not doing good. Daryl tries to help sometimes but he's pure DPS so always ends up getting KO'd or losing his healer.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm sticking with the theory of two bashees. Glen and Abe I reckon, for no other reason than the first spergy youtube video I watched analysing headlights, shadows, angles and stones on the ground said so. AMC aren't the only ones milking this annoying cliffhanger, some of those vids have large views.

The fact that I even clicked on a few of them and watched gives me the same feeling I get when I lose a game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd love it if they went for something surreal and Monty Python-esque. Scene picks up where it left off with Negan bashing down on the POV. Next shot is of a smashed up TV camera on the floor and a cameraman standing there all exasperated like what you do that for Jeff? Those are expensive.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Not toxxing on it though, I'm usually wrong about everything.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd like a plot arc where they search out and raid places like schools and libraries looking for books on agriculture, medicine, animal husbandry, engineering, architecture, science, electronics, civics and the like. Stuff they're going to need to re-learn in order to rebuild a society. I'm guessing that's all coming in later seasons, they're still in "the fall" stage of the narrative right now, but they shouldn't have dragged out their first act for 7-8 years...

It's like none of them ever played civ.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shneak posted:

The rating for any show going against it as millions of people who claim they would never watch again after the finale tune in.

I bet Sepinwall watches it. Wonder if he'll have the balls to put up a review though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Favorite zombies! I don't think the show can let me down, unless we go back to the police station hospital from season 5.

I didn't mind that bit because the dense urban environment was a nice change.

Less than 24 hours to go till anticlimax!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Maggie is about the second or third to last one I'd expect them to do so if it is her then kudos, I suppose, for defying my expectations.

But the real story here is how loving retarded was the cliffhanger decision. It's been said time and time, but doing that just so that your show is discussed over the break is really stupid, if all of that discussion is tainted by the context of how much of a lame storytelling decision it was to have made.

It's like a fundamental misunderstanding, maybe even a total ignorance of, the concept of "hang a lampshade on it".

These loving writers. Can't wait to see what they have in store!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hahahah did they? I missed that, or since forgot about it. That is such a TV network executive that doesn't watch or like the show that's paying their wages type of thing to say.

To be fair to Hardwick, he's probably coached on every little thing he is and isn't allowed to say.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Damnit I wish I could livepost but I'm going to have to vacate the thread for a few hours till I can watch the thing here in the UK.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hey that was pretty good! Colour me surprised. As soon as Daryl launched at Negan I knew Glen was going to get it as well.

blue squares posted:

that death was loving disgusting. I didn't watch all of Season 6 but after watching that I'm never watching another minute of this show. So nasty

Oh come on, it's the seventh year of this poo poo. You know what you're getting into at this point.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hey I mean, I'll even come forward. I don't know if it's because I now have an infant daughter or what, but I kinda 'previewed' it on behalf of my wife, you know, do we want to keep watching this, and I'm going to tell her I don't think we should. Don't know if I'm changed or what, but no thanks for me. If she wants to, we will, but I think we could call it a day here.

That's fair enough. I was reacting to the fact that other post read like they were kind of surprised at how nasty it was. It is nasty and always has been, and if that's not your cup of tea anymore that's absolutely your prerogative :)

^^yeah I'm also not faulting anyone for deciding that's that. I've come close myself on one or two occasions, albeit for plot related reasons rather than the gore.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Imagine if TWD was on HBO...

Don't tease me with these awesome parallel universes that I can't go to.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Except that works as an idea for a setting but a super lovely one for a narrative. There's a reason why 3 and 5 act structures exist. Audiences crave structure and knowing that a story has a start and an ending. TWD is moving forward with very little narrative momentum or plotting. The group is just going to keep surviving until....what? This was/is a problem with the comics and it's certainly a problem for the show now.

Will the show just end in season 8 or 9 with the group whittling away to just Rick? Will they rebuild society? After 7 years, the show has no answers or hints at what the end looks like.

Counterpoint: soap operas exist, and are very popular.

I'm not saying it isn't ok to say you're done watching because the show is like a soap, and that isn't what you want. That's perfectly reasonable. It's less reasonable, though, to say that the never ending series of events/soapy style that kirkman has stated he's going for isn't a valid narrative choice, which is what it seems like you are saying unless I'm misreading. For a lot of people that is a draw.

Plus, as you know a lot of these criticisms will be addressed. Sure, they took far too long getting there I won't argue that point, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Steve Yeun posted:

Yeun also recalled one of his memories from his time on the show, and a painful one at that. “I got a tick on my penis. It was bad news. What was cool though was for me I was kind of glad that it happened to me because I knew in my head I was the only one who would be willing to share it with everybody.”

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Steven Yeun in the make-up chair

Kinda more gross than it look in the show tbh

drat, that has to be one of the coolest jobs to go do everyday.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

His right eye has the distant look of a man about to be on an unemployment line. I'm shaking.

I know you're joking but something tells me he won't be there for long at all.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

To create an empire it's not feasible to smash the heads in of the people that the organisation is going to place many single atrophies. They don't know how the zombies are controlling anything because they are one with the demographic of not knowing how they affect how the people want to move on the betterment of society so that the king applauds their construct telling them all to go gently caress their masters in the arse.

That said Negan needs to show his people that he isn't a fox and that they don't need to worry about his beginning.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This is done pretty well.

:nws: (swears) and horrific, well, you know.

youtube.com/watch?v=7a7NZF_jr24

:nws:

I couldn't get it to spoiler properly and it isn't an image some people would want on their screen at work. It's the scene's uncensored audio from the bluray done in time to a backdrop of the comic images that are coloured in. I hadn't realised how spot on most of the dialog was (minus the swearing ofc) because it had been so long since I read that part.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

Love that movie. Probably one of the very few that bought it on dvd. Its bleak to the point of nihilistic but really well done. Still wish they would make more Post-Apoc movies again. Book of Eli was ok and Mad Max: Fury Road was bloody amazing but I would love a stream of the sillier fare like Radioactive Dreams and Six String Samurai. Had a friend watch Mindwarp with Bruce Campbell a few months back when that popped up. Always loved that genre. Part of why I keep watching this show is seeing people wandering around the bones of civilization and the characters of Carol and Morgan. Abe and Captain Mullet are two recent guys that have grown on me. King Ezekiel seems like someone I will enjoy watching. But yeah... almost wish the Nuka Break dudes would get some serious money to make a proper film.

Have you been watching Aftermath on SyFy? It isn't, like, good or anything but it has something about it and I like it anyway. And I don't mean hate-like like this show, I definitely have a soft spot for it.

e: for anyone mildly interested, it's like the writers couldn't decide which apocalypse scenario to go with, so they threw their hands up and said "gently caress it, we'll do all of them!"

Cactus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Preppers need to spend less time playing fallout and more time watching The Road or Threads.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How many actual individual words has Daryl even said on-screen? He doesn't have any character. He isn't a character.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I went camping once, it was awful.

A world without air conditioning and anime is not one I want to live in.

After going to Glastonbury a few times camping seems really pointless now. It's like all the lovely parts you have to put up with without any of the amazing parts that more than make up for it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Stop trying to talk scientifically about a magical curse.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

is it though?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I loved that scene. The sheer level of "aah gently caress it, our audience are all idiots it won't matter" on display was staggering.

And they were right.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'll watch it all in 2 months. Week-to-week is not the way to do this show. When you eat poo poo it's best to swallow it all down at once.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wish there was a good apocalypse show that I hadn't seen already :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

There probably are, but they're really stupid. I think Revolution was one such show, where the loss of electricity meant people forgot how to make bullets.

I saw half of that and lost interest. I think there was a particularly bad episode where they all hallucinate, or there are dogs, or something. Or a lighthouse? I dunno it's really hazy.

I've even watched The Last Ship, which is better than it has any right to be, particularly it's action sequences.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

He was a breath of fresh air for a bit but became annoying shortly thereafter.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tortuga posted:

Tom Selleck was in about 10 episodes man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPflecnTIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQKaLs5esk

It's all going to go to poo poo after they arrive, as a direct result of their arrival. I actually like Fear, despite how bad it is in a lot of areas. It seems to be about a group of villains origins and evolution story, much like the original, only people think the writers are doing that by accident. I don't think they are, or if that is an element it's because they're going for ambiguity only subconsciously skewing it too much into villain territory without realising. I dunno, maybe they really are that tone deaf, I don't know them.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

redleader posted:

So how watchable and good is The Last Ship?

There's loads of military fanservice and loving closeups of equipment and poo poo firing and blowing up, and a tonne of mawkish over the top solemn patriotism type stuff so if you like/can glaze past that it's fast paced and entertaining otherwise. It would make a decently cathartic followup to watch right after this show but then anything would. Good action.

e: yeah, that pic above is exactly what I'm talking about.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean yeah when you put it like that it's a shitshow but I still have a lot of fun watching Fear. Spotting plot holes, character inconsistencies and ways scenes are shot to seem nonsensical at times and finding the funniest, wittiest way to frame criticism of said flaws (or reading others' criticisms that actually are all those things) is fun!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

UmOk posted:

This is true of TWD also. And they were so close at one point.

Seasons 5 and 6 were exactly this, I thought as I was watching them, and are my favourite seasons because of that fact. The encounter with the cannibals at Terminus was what finally broke them into accepting that to survive in this world they will have to unapologetically become as violent and ruthless as the people they've been fighting. The scene where Rick chases that guy down in a car and shoots him with a "shut up" was explicitly there to portray that Rick has descended so far he's pretty much indistinguishable from a generic Fallout raider now. When they first arrive at Alexandria their first plan is to take over the town. Living in the relatively civilised Alexandria for a time is what brought them back from the edge. Even this last season Eugine acknowledges to Negan that his group has killed far more of Negan's people than vice versa. Of course, all of this was done in the usual amateurish way walking dead writers use that we all know and love. But I do feel that in the main series the acknowledgement being talked about has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Beats thinking about real life