Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
why is a red eye flight called a red eye exactly i have some guesses but i realize i dont know why they're really called that

ps. no googling you have to actually know the answer to a question to participate in this thread thanks for respecting the rules ahead of time so we can all have fun on a level playing field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

thathonkey posted:

why is a red eye flight called a red eye exactly i have some guesses but i realize i dont know why they're really called that

ps. no googling you have to actually know the answer to a question to participate in this thread thanks for respecting the rules ahead of time so we can all have fun on a level playing field

Because it's very late and you're tired from a long day so your eyes are bloodshot.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

How to be a decent human being?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Be incredibly rich

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why do we take work and some other things so seriously?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Why do some people really like Bruce Campbell and Evil Dead 2 especially?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why do people of perceived status refer to their subordinates as literal dogs when they're being mean?

E-- Forgot to answer:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why do we take work and some other things so seriously?
Because work is what we spend the majority of our time doing, for many it is legitimately necessary to keep wider society functioning, it's directly tied to our primary means of survival (money), and of course sunk-cost fallacy (e.g "I've spent so much time on it it must be important or I've wasted my life")

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 8, 2016

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
All the states the shape of states the general location of states the size of states the highest and lowest elevations of states the population of states all major cities of states all nonmajor cities of states the average rainfall of states the annual suicide rate of states the area codes of states state birds state baseball teams state flags state cuisines
state traits

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
when I kill myself how many people will celebrate?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

I wouldn't.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Khazar-khum posted:

Because it's very late and you're flying a long way and drink a ton so youre eyes are bloodshot when you get there

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
How do mice keep getting in my attic and crawlspace? Should I buy a Flir One to find the hole they're using (I have the money.)?

What are some weird unregulated drugs I can buy off Amazon? Is this one? What does it do?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

FaradayCage posted:

He seems very charming. Charming is (or is almost) by definition when you have no obvious redeeming or useful qualities to people but they are drawn to you, anyway. Also, handsome (including his voice) and his large chin may make him seem particularly masculine in an everyday-guy sort of way.

Evil Dead 2 is a pretty cool movie with a very memorable tree rape and some very cool camera work. Raimi looked at Evil Dead 1 and just decided to do it again, but better, which is also pretty cool.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

"Being yourself," while at the same time "Doing the right thing," isn't necessarily going to overlap unless you're trying to "Act like the person you want to be."

Fake it 'til you make it, in other words. Decency is its own reward!

Here's what I don't know:
Where does all the time go once it's spent?

Wait no;
I don't know how to jumpstart my car without referring to the manual. I always forget which cable clamp is supposed to go where.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
is there an animal that just screams all the time, like maybe a really annoying fish that only other fish can hear, and they're just like jesus this guy is an rear end in a top hat?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Zorodius posted:

is there an animal that just screams all the time, like maybe a really annoying fish that only other fish can hear, and they're just like jesus this guy is an rear end in a top hat?

"The Loneliest Whale"

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Sponge Baathist posted:

Nobody. People didn't even really "celebrate" when Hitler killed himself. For you, some people will actually be sad. Strangers even.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Sponge Baathist posted:

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

I think you're having a stroke.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good thing to call your buddy a "dog" (eg: wassup dog) but why is it degrading to call your lady a "bitch" if it means female dog?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It's a good thing to call your buddy a "dog" (eg: wassup dog) but why is it degrading to call your lady a "bitch" if it means female dog?

Because girl things are bad, I guess?

Why do good things make us fat?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Why does poo curve?

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Minimum Syntaxing posted:

All the states the shape of states the general location of states the size of states the highest and lowest elevations of states the population of states all major cities of states all nonmajor cities of states the average rainfall of states the annual suicide rate of states the area codes of states state birds state baseball teams state flags state cuisines
state traits

Weird crowded high wet and tasty?

This question makes me wonder which state is the best to live in based exclusively off of official state cuisine.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_foods

New Mexico's state vegetable is refried beans so that seems pretty good and silly, but Minnesota rocks the honeycrisp apple and those are delightful.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Archer666 posted:

You maybe live in the wrong state. Try Minnesota with its honeycrisp Apple official state fruit.

Edit: do you perhaps live in Oklahoma? Their state meals are bbq meat fried okra chicken fried steak and sausages. Official American Fatty Boombalatty State.

Two Free Toppings fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 8, 2016

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Heroin doesn't make you fat

what happened to all the extra letters in British English words like doughnut or colour when the Americans got their hands on them?

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 8, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's because of cyborgs op.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Bill NYSE posted:

Why does poo curve?

the inside of your body isnt made up of straight lines

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Old Binsby posted:

Just never stop doing heroin because if you get into methadone maintenance therapy you will turn into a cake and ice cream eating machine. It's healthier to just keep on using.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Because anything is an insult if it refers to a woman.

Note that bro is fine, "sissy" is an insult. Sir is fine, "madam" runs a whorehouse. Guys are fine, "gals" is a bit condescending.

Then on the other hand dog, oval office, and guy, all insulting, became acceptable to use among friends after they started referring to men for a while.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
where is the G-spot?

Old Binsby posted:

what happened to all the extra letters in British English words like doughnut or colour when the Americans got their hands on them?

"U" was considered short for "UnAmerican" so they cut a lot of them out. I think it was Zachary Taylor who took the "i" out of Alumin(i)um

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Old Binsby posted:

a bunch of it was organic, then webster published the first american english dictionary in 1806 on the princple that there did not by any means need to be a u in color & thereby standardized american spelling.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Here's what I don't know:
Where does all the time go once it's spent?

When the object enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff."

Time works the same way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FaradayCage posted:

Evil Dead 2 was largely a parody of the first film, which was terrible at best. The Evil Dead has become somewhat of a cult classic, but only because the vastly superior Evil Dead 2 brought attention to it.

Bruce Campbell is an interesting guy because rather than being a small fish in a big pond he decided to stick in the small pond and become king of the fish.

His popularity is because he's the best at what he does and didn't aspire to be 'better', and has the integrity and creative freedom that results from that.

Evil Dead 2 is good because it's a really good film that is a parody, a legit horror film, and actually manages to be funny.

Other films have tried this but very few have managed it.

As for my question, why do people like Army of Darkness? It's a lovely PG -13 version of Evil Dead 2.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

Evil Dead 2 was largely a parody of the first film, which was terrible at best. The Evil Dead has become somewhat of a cult classic, but only because the vastly superior Evil Dead 2 brought attention to it.

Bruce Campbell is an interesting guy because rather than being a small fish in a big pond he decided to stick in the small pond and become king of the fish.

His popularity is because he's the best at what he does and didn't aspire to be 'better', and has the integrity and creative freedom that results from that.

Evil Dead 2 is good because it's a really good film that is a parody, a legit horror film, and actually manages to be funny.

Other films have tried this but very few have managed it.

As for my question, why do people like Army of Darkness? It's a lovely PG -13 version of Evil Dead 2.

whoah this is a whole lotta bad opinion for one post

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Rush Limbo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5udK-R094
The one at 2:01 is my favorite.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Why does America still televise baseball?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Why isn't venison sold in stores? A friend gave me dried venison and it is good poo poo.

Also I wish huckleberries were sold in stores as well.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kuato posted:

Why isn't venison sold in stores? A friend gave me dried venison and it is good poo poo.

Also I wish huckleberries were sold in stores as well.

Because it's gross and nobody eats that poo poo and any sportsmen who doesn't have their head up their rear end will tell you they give hunting licenses for population control, not so you can eat gross meat that dinosaurs are supposed to eat. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why aren't those literally blue raspberries on sale everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
what does it actually sound like when a dove cries?

• Locked thread