Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Recently, I was at a musical, Company, and it was just so boring and unfunny. Looking around, very few people even seemed to be enjoying themselves. My date wasn't enjoying herself and was even struggling to stay awake. So during the intermission I told her we should just leave. Horrified, she started giving all the reasons why we shouldn't. They'll know we left (don't care), we paid for the tickets, it's a waste (rather not waste my day, already know the money is gone), it's rude/disrespectful to the actors(they're professionals), and it's embarrassing if other people see us (unpleasant and understandable, but better things to do that day).

Am I really in the wrong? It's not as though I walked out during the middle of the actual performance. Am I really that much of a horrible person for wanting to walk out? Do the actors and staff really notice or care that much? I'd hope they'd know that the play is kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

No. Walking out in the middle of the actual play could probably be considered rude but even then you'd be within your rights to. After all they already have your money and as long as you're not creating a disturbance, what does it matter? For all anyone else knows you had a family emergency and had to leave.

I will say this, I feel like we are definitely socialized to see things through to the end. It took me ages to figure out that if I'm watching a movie (for example) that's just terrible or boring, I can just get up and leave and not waste my time.

I am curious if your girlfriend has had anxiety issues (presently or in the past). A lot of that kind of thinking - "those people will see us and think poorly!" - is also something I've struggled with and the answer is that no one cares. At best people would notice some empty seats after intermission and so what?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I would argue that leaving at intermission is a subtle hint to the theatre that the show isn't very good, they may consider re-working it, and it might get better and improve things for everyone involved.

Then again, if you invite me to a work meeting that it poorly run, I will walk out in the middle. (For the same reasons.) So maybe I'm just the opposite extreme.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Condolences on going on a date with a stupid person.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I work at a Broadway production house, no one cares if you leave if you're not enjoying the show. When book of Mormon came around we had several people leave super pissed because they didn't research what the show really was, and were devout Mormons.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

You two couldn't make up your minds out of fear about leaving one of the most famous musicals on the planet about a guy who takes too long to make up his mind out of fear.

Please be real

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Walking out is always acceptable. Doing it in mid-show is much more of a statement than quietly disappearing, but either way, walking out clearly tells the producers that people are not enjoying the show, and that is always useful information.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Old Man Pants posted:

I work at a Broadway production house, no one cares if you leave if you're not enjoying the show. When book of Mormon came around we had several people leave super pissed because they didn't research what the show really was, and were devout Mormons.

I feel like this happens every time Book of Mormon plays anywhere. We went to go see the traveling production a few months ago when it came to our city and there were still pissed off people who thought it was supposed to be a serious play. The play has been out for 5 years now, it's not like there aren't any reviews anywhere.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The actors don't care if you stay. I mean, if everyone left, that would be a problem, but it's not like they care about individual audience members.

And it's more polite to leave at intermission than stay for the last act(s) and be bored/uncomfortable/sleeping, in any case.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heckling is ruder but also more entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fi5orKhETo

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sounds like you should have walked out on the play and your date, OP

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

Am I really in the wrong? It's not as though I walked out during the middle of the actual performance. Am I really that much of a horrible person for wanting to walk out? Do the actors and staff really notice or care that much?

No, if you leave during intermission no one will care or notice at all. Or even if it's during the play as long as you can slip out very quietly and without letting a bunch of light into the room. It's only rude or noticeable if it's somehow disruptive.

And if a whole lot of people got up and left during intermission I'm pretty sure everyone involved would think "wow we must really suck tonight" rather than be thinking about the audience being rude.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 9, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Good grief.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I foresee a wonderful future for OP and date - 50 years of marriage, despite not being able to stand one another from the second week. It would just be disrespectful to break up and embarrassing to everyone involved, so best avoid it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have done loads of theater and no. Walking out in the middle of the show is real assy though, don't do that.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

The actors don't care if you stay. I mean, if everyone left, that would be a problem, but it's not like they care about individual audience members.

And it's more polite to leave at intermission than stay for the last act(s) and be bored/uncomfortable/sleeping, in any case.

Some of the anxiety is because we have season tickets on the front row. I don't think it's as big of a deal.

Although recently there was a couple who was sitting front center row who were sound asleep through the whole play. Old couple, but still.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nobody will care or notice. Go for it as long as you don't have friends in the cast (if you do, it's maybe friendship-endingly rude).

But also

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

You two couldn't make up your minds out of fear about leaving one of the most famous musicals on the planet about a guy who takes too long to make up his mind out of fear.

Please be real
Up next, Hamlet

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Please be real

Oh we walked out. She just felt very awkward about it.

Also from the little bit I saw, it seemed to be a musical about a closeted gay guy in the 70s who didn't know what to do.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Nobody would notice you leave in an intermission anyway? Only your empty seats afterwards. Half the theatre gets up to go to the toilet, go smoke etc.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Think of it this way, OP. At least 3/4ths of the actors think the play is horrible and they could do better, because they're retarded, because they're actors. If you don't walk out on it how will they get confirmation?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Walking out during intermission is common and acceptable. There was even a practice back in the day (slightly less so now) called "second acting", where, if you were too poor to afford a ticket to a show, you'd wait outside the theater until intermission, when everyone woulds step out for a smoke, and then sneak in with the crowd and replace all the walk-outs.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Also from the little bit I saw, it seemed to be a musical about a closeted gay guy in the 70s who didn't know what to do.

If you're curious, watch the filmed version with Neil Patrick Harris, which is really funny and brings the excellent music to life.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I thought was the the point of the intermission: if things weren't as good as you expected, you can simply not return without visible confrontation.

A bit like the toilet breaks my tinder dates are always taking.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Leaving during intermission is literally the most polite way to leave.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you're curious, watch the filmed version with Neil Patrick Harris, which is really funny and brings the excellent music to life.

I don't think a different set of actors can save it. The play is just bad, and I can't relate to it either. It really feels like it has a very narrow target audience. Plus I don't think I could stand another chorus of "Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby baby."

To be fair, I haven't seen a sondheim play I've liked.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Sperg Victorious posted:

I don't think a different set of actors can save it. The play is just bad, and I can't relate to it either. It really feels like it has a very narrow target audience. Plus I don't think I could stand another chorus of "Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby baby."

To be fair, I haven't seen a sondheim play I've liked.

Might be worth noticing that you've been couching a lot of opinions in factual statements like "the play is bad", and instead it's worth exploring in more depth what you like/don't like about the musical (it's not a play, btw) and see if it's actually not your cup of tea or if it's perhaps dealing with uncomfortable artistic styles (atonality/percussive lyricism/whatever) or subject matter (infidelity/mid-life unhappiness/closeted homosexuality/disillusionment). Might have made for an interesting post-show discussion over drinks which might have led to a real connection and then maybe even some sex? I'm just spitballing ideas here.

But also yes leaving during intermission is fine, just not in the middle of a performance.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

OSheaman posted:

But also yes leaving during intermission is fine, just not in the middle of a performance.

This, it is rude to stand up in the middle of the performance and walk out, but during intermission is fine*

*if you have an emergency, get the gently caress up and walk out whenever, sure it's slightly rude, but making GBS threads your pants or dying is also rude.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

OSheaman posted:

Might be worth noticing that you've been couching a lot of opinions in factual statements like "the play is bad", and instead it's worth exploring in more depth what you like/don't like about the musical (it's not a play, btw) and see if it's actually not your cup of tea or if it's perhaps dealing with uncomfortable artistic styles (atonality/percussive lyricism/whatever) or subject matter (infidelity/mid-life unhappiness/closeted homosexuality/disillusionment). Might have made for an interesting post-show discussion over drinks which might have led to a real connection and then maybe even some sex? I'm just spitballing ideas here.

The perils of typing replies on my phone. But it's still a boring play that I had to fight, along with most if the audience, to stay awake. It seemed more prudent to skip the nap and get to the discussion and sex.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Another option: Hire a look-alike couple to stand-in for you at a moments notice. Have them on-call.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I am available and have reasonable rates.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's rude if you're being a dick about it to the rest of the audience, but otherwise who the gently caress cares? Maybe you just need to take a dump!

But if it's during the intermission, the only way is to get to the coat room, take out the little old lady that mans the hangers, grab the cardboard box that they keep the umbrellas in, then sneak your way out of the lobby, solid snake style.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Go ahead & leave during intermission; actors might notice but they won't care. I've been in shows that were real duds & we were painfully aware of just how unentertaining the show was, but at a certain point you're in too deep to do anything but go out there and salvage whatever entertainment value you can out of what was written.

If you're offended, though, leave a) immediately and b) in as big of an indignant huff as you can manage, because the cast thinks it's funny as hell.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I saw this trashcan musical thing when I was younger. You would have had to pay me to stay.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I thought it was the more polite option? Like no one is offended if you leave the play early unless they have a reasonable, personal claim on you being there? But it's better to leave when the light is on, the doors are open, and everyone is walking about than climb over people and make noise opening the doors, etc.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Arcland posted:

I saw this trashcan musical thing when I was younger. You would have had to pay me to stay.

They did a musical version of Endgame?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Loucks posted:

They did a musical version of Endgame?

It was this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdbuJkJsXt0 Except the production was much worse. We left when they brought out boxes of paperclips and started shaking them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Balqis posted:

I thought it was the more polite option? Like no one is offended if you leave the play early unless they have a reasonable, personal claim on you being there? But it's better to leave when the light is on, the doors are open, and everyone is walking about than climb over people and make noise opening the doors, etc.

It absolutely is. I think the OP's date thought they should have stayed to the end, not that they should have left while the actual performance was going on.

Now I want to see Endgame! The Musical so badly.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

It absolutely is. I think the OP's date thought they should have stayed to the end, not that they should have left while the actual performance was going on.

Yeah, we never thought that crawling over people in the middle of a small theater in the round was the more polite way.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

poo poo, I fell asleep during a show I was attending at my work, started snoring, got up and bounced, and no one cared and no one said anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Company's book (the play part) has not aged well, and in particular the scene about the couple trying pot for the first time is cringeworthy. The music is fabulous, and is the reason you'd go. In the '70s the lead wasn't intended to be perceived as closeted gay, but as STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT afraid of commitment (see the scene with April and "Barcelona".)

If you weren't laughing, it's not your musical. It could also have been a really bad production; if you weren't laughing at the songs, that would be my guess. If you're curious, watch the first ten minutes of the 2011 televised semi-staged version with Neil Patrick Harris, Patti LuPone, Stephen Colbert and other luminaries.

On YouTube from that production https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxzO9iihvY Colbert does "Sorry/Grateful", one of my favorite Sondheim songs, about long-term relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went to see Richard Herring do standup a bunch of years ago, and during the intermission someone in the audience gave their ticket to him before leaving. He said himself that it was a fantastic burn, I think he even included it on the DVD.

Also there's nothing funnier than reading 1* reviews for Book of Mormon on trip adiviser and the like.

• Locked thread