Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Recently, I was at a musical, Company, and it was just so boring and unfunny. Looking around, very few people even seemed to be enjoying themselves. My date wasn't enjoying herself and was even struggling to stay awake. So during the intermission I told her we should just leave. Horrified, she started giving all the reasons why we shouldn't. They'll know we left (don't care), we paid for the tickets, it's a waste (rather not waste my day, already know the money is gone), it's rude/disrespectful to the actors(they're professionals), and it's embarrassing if other people see us (unpleasant and understandable, but better things to do that day).

Am I really in the wrong? It's not as though I walked out during the middle of the actual performance. Am I really that much of a horrible person for wanting to walk out? Do the actors and staff really notice or care that much? I'd hope they'd know that the play is kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

The actors don't care if you stay. I mean, if everyone left, that would be a problem, but it's not like they care about individual audience members.

And it's more polite to leave at intermission than stay for the last act(s) and be bored/uncomfortable/sleeping, in any case.

Some of the anxiety is because we have season tickets on the front row. I don't think it's as big of a deal.

Although recently there was a couple who was sitting front center row who were sound asleep through the whole play. Old couple, but still.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

You two couldn't make up your minds out of fear about leaving one of the most famous musicals on the planet about a guy who takes too long to make up his mind out of fear.

Please be real

Oh we walked out. She just felt very awkward about it.

Also from the little bit I saw, it seemed to be a musical about a closeted gay guy in the 70s who didn't know what to do.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you're curious, watch the filmed version with Neil Patrick Harris, which is really funny and brings the excellent music to life.

I don't think a different set of actors can save it. The play is just bad, and I can't relate to it either. It really feels like it has a very narrow target audience. Plus I don't think I could stand another chorus of "Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby baby."

To be fair, I haven't seen a sondheim play I've liked.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

OSheaman posted:

Might be worth noticing that you've been couching a lot of opinions in factual statements like "the play is bad", and instead it's worth exploring in more depth what you like/don't like about the musical (it's not a play, btw) and see if it's actually not your cup of tea or if it's perhaps dealing with uncomfortable artistic styles (atonality/percussive lyricism/whatever) or subject matter (infidelity/mid-life unhappiness/closeted homosexuality/disillusionment). Might have made for an interesting post-show discussion over drinks which might have led to a real connection and then maybe even some sex? I'm just spitballing ideas here.

But also yes leaving during intermission is fine, just not in the middle of a performance.

The perils of typing replies on my phone. But it's still a boring play that I had to fight, along with most if the audience, to stay awake. It seemed more prudent to skip the nap and get to the discussion and sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

It absolutely is. I think the OP's date thought they should have stayed to the end, not that they should have left while the actual performance was going on.

Yeah, we never thought that crawling over people in the middle of a small theater in the round was the more polite way.

• Locked thread