Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds to me like you don't need further III synergy and have talked yourself out of the black Friday banner. Start saving for XIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I got through 160 Dark Dragon by leading a group with Tyro on Phantasm duty and Arc and his instant medica SSB. I just relentlessly kicked anyone who joined my party who had any physical attackers. Took some time to get it properly filled with mages, but once I did the fight itself was trivial since there was no way that dragon was gonna wake up.

Then I went back to the 140 fight to try to snag the bonus greens drop. Same strategy to fill the group, but this time I got bored of kicking the last group member and waiting for a mage setup to jump in. I could feel that the other two guys just wanted to roll with just 6 heroes, so that's what we did, and still won without much difficulty. And I got the 6000 greens. :smug:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Tried to do Caius with a full 13 synergy team, but got annoyed with his attack spam at the end. Physical A-team including Vaan and Paris BSBs made a mockery of him along with SG for good measure.

Decided to roll my mage meta team for Cagnazzo. Couple times he hosed me with AoE Waterga before I could even blink. Super nice to have native Sheepsong and SG, so I could RW Ashe's BSB and really gently caress him up when he tries gathering water.

Bahamut SIN I wrecked with a full VII team of Seph/Yuffie/Vincent/Red/Cait Sith. I put Mako Might on Seph and led off with Nibelheim Nightmare, which in this fight is more useful than his SSB. Pretty much killed the creepers almost straight off. From there, I had Vincent Wrath up his en-Fire SSB and was ready to kick in the orb's faces and any other creepers. Red was on support duty and popping Lunatic High. Yuffie plinked away, ready to use either her SSB or Clear Tranquil as needed. With SG as my RW, I was basically invulnerable and could easily poo poo out damage. In fact, I had only killed 6 creepers by the time I had Bahamut down to only a sliver of HP, so I had to stall until the last 2 popped in.

Now, I distinctly remember that fight giving me loving fits many months ago and I in fact never mastered it, only a clear by the barest of margins with what was my A-team at the time. Now I can CM it if I so choose thanks in part to the weapons and SBs I have drawn since then. Thanks, power creep!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

use +crit stuff like Prayer of the Lost and Twin Star.

I have my RW set to Twin Star for this very reason. If you have native Shout, you ought to be following me and using it as your RW: BSYf

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
If Cloud can appear in Smash, then Mario can come to FFRK damnit.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
YOLO 11-pull on the current VIII was 1/11, and I had a bad feeling upon seeing that single rainbow orb. Turns out it was Zell's BSB! Do I seriously want to hone Lifebane now or just keep it at R1? Also I figure with the reduced delay command that Full Charge becomes really damned strong with him as well. Maybe Lifebane/Full Charge and he just shits out damage as long as I put Mako Might on him.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I am thinking now after reading a Reddit post about it that Lifesiphon+Fires Within might be good (maybe with Fist damage+ RM). Charge the gauge, then go mad with the Chaincharge BSB command, use Fires Within for damage+healing.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KnoxZone posted:

:siren: Tomorrow's DU Lucky Banner is SSB+ :siren:

VI, IX, XIII, XIV

I already have 3 mage rods SSBs (Garnet, Kuja, Vivi) from IX, plus 3 of Eiko's instruments, on top of standard USBs for Zidane/Steiner/Beatrix, so I'm loathe to pull since I very likely won't get anything I need nor want there.

But even then if it's 25 mythril, why the hell not? My VI and XIII synergy could use a fair shot at some boosting. XIV is a bonus, but I'm planning on going in hard on that in a few weeks time and don't need anything from the gacha at this point.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I've got a high chance at a dupe, especially in IX.

VI: Fixed Dice, Valiant Knife
IX: Hamelin, Punisher, Mace of Zeus, Wizard Rod, Fairy Flute
XIII: Canopus AMPs, Power Circle, Hawkeye
XIV: Air Knives

Still gonna pull anyway. Half price is half price. Getting anything mage-y from IX is gonna be a bit of a letdown, but I will be :unsmith: for a physical SSB. Anything but dupes in VI or XIII would be nice. I've got two XIII guns and a first already, so a damned sword (or medica!) for that realm would be nice. VI can give me basically anything at this point and I'd be happy with it. XIV would again, be a nice bonus but I've got at least three pulls budgeted for those upcoming banners.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Runic effect (either through Celes or Exdeath) is utterly game breaking on magic spamming bosses maybe even moreso when you use it as an RW. It allows for anyone to have near-unlimited uses of a strong R1 5/6* ability (Meltdown, Snowspell, Northern Cross, even good ole Bahamut).

But, I'd still kill to have it natively and make Celes herself a Snowspell Striking murderhouse.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
3/11. Maduin's Horn (meh, but first MAG statstick for VI), Stardust Rod (awesome, plus yet another VI MAG statstick, plus +20 MAG to Terra from mastering both rods), and Dragon Knight's Greatcoat.

Not bad all in all! I can now reasonably run an A-team mage meta in VI content now, and Terra on her own just got a helluva lot stronger, plus it's only my second attack magic BSB (Rydia is the other). However, it's pretty much a bog standard mage BSB without any element on entry (it's non-elemental) or en-element. It'll shine for fire/water weak bosses though. Magitek Missile will just be entirely useless to me, hah.

As for Freya's coat, the only big downside is that the only synergy weapon I have for her in IX is a shared SB dagger. I can more reasonably use her now in a physical CM setup now though, especially on poo poo that's weak to wind or lightning. Now, I just need one more dragoon's SSB/BSB to be able to run a reasonable dragoon meta (Kain, Freya, one more dragoon, support, healer). Actually, I did do something rather rash in diving Gilgamesh to Dragoon 5, and I have his BSB, sooooooooo.....

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Zurai posted:

Yeah, and Lulu's BSB (the other magical water source) is a dual-element command, so Terra's is safer for general use. That said, Water/Ice is a pretty rare pair to double resist (it's more common as a double weakness; a lot of fire/sand based enemies are weak to both, while ice and water based monsters tend to only resist the one of their type), so Lulu's is basically equivalent in all but the absolute worst case and has three elements to pick from for weakness hunting instead of two.

For CM purposes, if it's literally the only BLM SB that you have for VI (true in my case), then it isn't completely awful. But yeah, Terra ain't going to make my magic A-team. I have Rydia's SSB as well as en-Fire SSB for Vincent and en-Ice for Lulu. Two of those three plus Krile/Tyro/WHM and I can RW whatever useful magic BSB I want. Terra just doesn't have a place. :(

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Decided to whale an 11 pull and it paid off. 3/11: Imperial Highblade, Excalibur, Luminous Robe.

Perfect. I finally got a holy boosting sword, along with a Holy imperil. Oh, and I have access to native Runic now. Hot drat. :dance: The Relm robe is a nice thing since I'm using her as my healer anyway and I don't yet have a medica for her. I'm probably using Shout for CM purposes anyway, but more flexibility is always nice.

I also don't need to pull on VI banners again for a good long time.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The FFVIII Ultimate has been crazy-kind to me with drops. I've gotten 6 from it (no stamina refreshes), only need two more until r2 Meltdown. :toot:

You loving lucky bastard. I hate you.

I mean, congrats!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

LornMarkus posted:

Any goons that need to finish Lady Amadine 160? I haven't been able to get it to work with randos but I also can't do much more than I am to help that situation.

I'll be under ID 4666 with a Ramza with Full Break and Tailwind and a Garnet carrying Slowga and Divine Guardian. Mostly just need probably at least one more good healer and a whole bunch of damage.

Well, I tried joining but got booted as the battle loaded. Hopefully you made good use of my Vaan+Rosa!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Adel posted:

I know I shouldn't pull because OSBfest and Minfilia are right there but

WELP

You have now enabled easy mode for this game.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I zerg rushed Atomos down before it even entered phase 2. Big hitters were Locke's SSB, Vaan's BSB, Tidus Chaincharge, and Zidane with an R2 Northern Cross. Eiko's BSB for the crit up, and Shout for the boost.

It would have been more laughable if I had the motes to dive Zell to 5* celerity, because then his BSB would have made an even bigger mockery of things.

Now, since I skipped Nightmare Necrophobe, I suppose I'll go tear my hair out over that one.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
RW BSB commands are useful things for mage meta parties, especially if you have native Wall/Faithga/Medica.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Just saw a table linked on Reddit with all of the Major Orbs we'll be needing for upcoming abilities. I'll be spending all my refreshes when we get to the dark orb phase. :(

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I pulled 3 Wutai Headbands many moons ago. They were by far my strongest mage hats for a good long time. However, after pulling some decent mage hats and robes over the past couple months, I realized that I could justify doing this:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pulled on OSB banner #1 a couple days ago and 1/11 with Vanille's Mistilteinn.

Decided to have another go at it and went 2/11. Got another Mistilteinn, but also a Platinum Sword. Finally have a native Shout, and with the whole trinity + boostga I can now construct any team I drat well please and RW whatever.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
100-gem pull: Veil of Wiyu
11-pull #1: Healer's Circlet x2, Holy Shield, Wizard's Bracers

There will not be a second pull. I think that will do. I was going to pull twice, so I think I might make a pull on banner 2 now, which I was initially planning to ignore.

The only unfortunate thing about this pull is that I no longer really need to use Krile in my mage A-team.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally beat and mastered the 250 torment piggies.

Made it through the trash phases almost entirely with Greg and Y'sh's BSBs. Alphi, Papa, and Tyro just sat back and built their SB gauges through normal attacks. As such, I had burned zero ability uses of those three. Greg had just used a single Gaia Cross at the very start, and Y'sh had to use a single Curada to save Greg from eating early dirt.

Once the piggies rolled up, it was down to work. Greg kept up the taunting, but this was when I started working in his Faithful Companion SSB for some AoE and also to get major regen going. Y'shtola had zero problems keeping SB gauge to keep Asylum up 100% of the time. Tyro popped Keeper's Tome to get Proshell up, then SG for some helpful wall. Else, Tyro was applying magic breakdance and Lifesiphonining whenever possible.

DPS was entirely the job of Alphi and Papa. I had Papa use Ley Lines to get faithga up, and had Alphi hold up using his BSB until Papa could cast the RW. From there, Alphi alternated the ether BSB command and Tiamat (which was hitting for 7500x2). Papa spammed the RW AoE command (which also gave him an additional MAG boost). The fight pretty much continued in this fashion until the pigs were dead. I made sure to tack on Chain Blizzaga/Firaga and another Gaia Cross from Greg to hit the medal conditions.

I did have to SL once due to forgetting to reapply wall and getting Papa and Greg killed. Second time around was much smoother and controlled, and the damage was spread out enough that I killed off all the pigs at once with one final cast of Tiamat.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, apparently I'm one of the lucky few who had zero problems with the bonus battles.

U: Celes w/ Indo Blade and ripping out Snowspell Strikes.
U+ CM: Cid Raines RW basically trivialized this. I had some of my dudes hit the floor, but I somehow made it through without even needing to pop Eiko's BSB.
U++: Greg's BSB trivialized this as well. That bought enough time for Zell to build up his BSB, self-boost, and then wreck Zidane with massive Lifebanes. One even connected for 5x8000 (all crit procs). Mitigation wasn't a problem for me, RW Wall and Agrias' Cleansing Strike for that.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Both 200 and 250 Torment dungeons mastered. As for the CM, I'll just slowly back away and pretend that it doesn't exist. As for what was able to win...

Everything you see above for both dungeons, except I used Tidus OSB as my RW.

Greg's BSB was mainly how I got through the trash. I took a big risk not putting Wrath on Y'shtola, but I was able to get Asylum up and running quickly enough in both the 200 and 250. Tyro was there to provide Keeper's Tome (to cover ProShell and provide a much-needed magic blink in spots) as well as Wall. Funny enough, I never once used his Entrust. Ramza was purely there for support and Shout. Zell to hit things hard with his BSB, Lifebane, and to cast the RW.

I made it through the 200 dungeon with relative ease. The 250 was a real slog though. The trash didn't present any problems, but the boss is simply a mountain of HP. I had Zell chain-cast his second BSB command to keep piling on damage as quickly as possible and keep his SB bar charged to lead straight into another use of Duelist. I held off on using his Lifebanes and the RW casts until very near the end. Greg provided some decent DPS as well, and I'm glad I thought to use Faithful Companion, because the major regen from that gave me a ton of extra healing support. I had Tyro basically alternating between Keeper's Tome and SG, and I had him stick the break commands from KT as much as I could. Y'sh was healing like mad and able to keep Asylum up almost the entire time, and I'm convinced now that her BSB is superior to Vanille's.

It took a lot of chipping away, and with about 15% or so to go I unleashed Zell's Lifebanes and started using the RW. It was at this point that I was starting to lose control of the fight a bit. I had gotten hit hard by a regurgitate and figured that I was one unlucky AoE away from death. I didn't have an Asylum queued up, so I had Tyro cast one final KT just in case that AoE was Tsunami. Turns out I was right. Magic Blink ate the Tsunami, Y'sh cast one final Asylum, and Zell was able to finish the job.

That entire dungeon took about 45 minutes. Sheesh.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

FYI, for those working on the Torment dungeon: I've just set up Tidus as my RW with his BSB at 9qBd. Somewhere around 700 attack with +40% water damage with synergy. (I could also put up the OSB instead if people would prefer that? I suspect BSB pulls ahead if you can put some basically competent attackers in to spam command 1 with enwater for a few rounds.)

The BSB is good for sustained DPS, but the OSB may be the better choice for helping burn through the last 10~15% of its HP quickly when you're getting wrecked by the weak phase and barely hanging on.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

bilperkins2 posted:

1/11 Red Scorpion for Quistis. I already have her BSB and building up charge is hard enough for one bar, let alone two, unless I do wrath shenanigans. :(

I had the opposite thing happen. Pulled her SSB a long time ago and correspondingly dived her up to White 4 to make her a competent healer/support. Yesterday I drew her BSB.

Well, she definitely isn't going to be healing much of anything anymore. My plan for her is to give her Wrath plus a needed support ability. Trigger the SSB first, then go into BSB and DPS away.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm trying to take down the X Torment CM with a team that has no business even sniffing victory. But, I've gotta make an honest effort at it, and there's no stamina penalty for trying. The team you see below managed to get the boss down to 25% before I got done in by some bad RNG in the weak phase.

Only SBs of note are Tidus' SSB (3x water hits), Wakka's BSB, and Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth. I put a Red Cap on Payne to get the shared Attack Boost SB (and barely increase what tiny DPS I already have), and Braska has a light armor with a shared Shellga SB along with a shared Medica.

One change I can see making at this point is to also give Payne a shared Medica and spec her for MND as much as possible, and then she's literally only good for tanking and off-healing. Every bit of DPS in the fight will be in the hands of Tidus and Wakka. Only other thing I can think to do is sub out Wall (I saved it for the weak phase and it really didn't seem to make that huge an impact) and lug along Tidus' OSB or BSB to save for the weak phase and try to burn it down.

If I can somehow make this work I'd be beyond thrilled, and I can strive to continue not pulling relics in the realm. Otherwise, it's just two 6* crystals I'm chasing after and I'm not burning 50 mythril on a chance pull that I might get something that would actually help me in this.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
That was an annoying CM, but mastered with zero FF1 soul breaks. All those Defender swords I reforged up to 7* helped greatly though. My team was WoL/Garland/WoL/Matoya/Sarah. Got everyone but Wol egged to 80. Brought Vessel of Fate RW and used it on Matoya.

WoL used Saints/Gaia Cross, Garland with Dark Bargain/Full Charge, Wol with Dismissal/Armor Breakdown. Matoya spammed Swiftspell and had Curaga as a backup heal. Sarah on straight healing duty. The plan was to get good RNG and burn it down quickly. Mission accomplished after the most S/LS in a while.

Basically, you don't need to pull either banner to get this done, even if you have little synergy and zero soul breaks.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

U-DO Burger posted:

Jesus, I don't know how people are doing this CM without native SBs or synergy. I do okay until I reach Kraken, and then Ink hits my party for like 4000 and guarantees a wipe.

All I can say is that having a good staple of 5* abilities and using Vessel of Fate as my RW really did the job. Just DPS the gently caress out of the fight and say gently caress it to the usual damage mitigation. Seriously, even with Shellga up, you're going to take a shitload of damage anyway and without a real medica to come back from it a second AOE will finish you off. I didn't bring either Protectga or Shellga. Gaia Cross was my only mitigation strat just so I could funnel heals into WoL.

You then sit back and S/L as many times as needed until you get the right RNG to not take a single attack AOE. It's cheese, but it worked for me and saved me 50 mythril.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Once I have enough summoning crystals I'll be honing Valigarmanda to R2 because why the hell not aside from not being able to use the other crystals on something else.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, I started my way through the VII Torment CM this morning with the idea that I'd stop at the boss and finish it off tonight after the event went away.

Yeah, I cut that pretty damned close. Thanks to those who posted the Vincent + Alphi RW method. I had more than enough MAG to make it happen.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Serah SSB: actually this seems good? Mind+Mag+Hastega, should go well with something like Cid RW. I actually am glad to have this one

It is a stacking Faithga, so yes, it's good.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Eiko is definitely less-squishy at 99, but she was stuck at 80 for so long that I think that negative perception of squishyness is going to follow her around for a long time.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I got Vayne's weird BSB and Minfillia's BSB. Hell yeah to another Holy sword and that sexy BSB. I also ended up with a dupe Veil of Wiyu and Squall's en-Ice jacket. That en-Ice could become useful in the future (or now with my honed Snowspell Strike).

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
3/11: Strange Vision, Keeper's Tome (dupe), and Shura Gloves!!!!

Having both Zell and Refia's BSBs makes me cackle with delight.

Also, as of yesterday morning I had no relics whatsoever for Selphie. I now I have both Dreamstage and Strange Vision. That takes care of that then.

My total haul over the past three draws was quite lucky indeed, 11/33. Ended up snagging the following:
Chaos Rod (X)
Crescent Wish (VIII) x2 (immediately combined into 6*)
Mistilteinn (XIII) (dupe, combined and reforged into a 8* uber-MND stick)
Curtana (XIV)
Vayne's Gloves (XII)
Veil of Wiyu (XIV) (dupe, combined to 6*)
Squall's Jacket (VIII)
Shura Gloves (III)
Strange Vision (VIII)
Keeper's Tome (dupe, Rosettaed into my new Curtana)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
3/11. 2x dupe Crescent Wish (welp, I have another 8* MND rod now) and Zell's SSB gloves. I already have his BSB so yay for +10 ATK? At least it wasn't a 100% dupe fest, but I could have done a lot better with that pull.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally got the RNG needed to master the D200 Belias Torment CM. Having Tailwind as my only real source of medica was tricky, and I got lucky with a timely use of it after I had just put Shout back up halfway through the fight. I coupled that with Cleansing Strike from Agrias to reduce the weak phase damage I was taking and it seemed to work out.

Not having either Agrias or Orlandeau's BSB/OSB made me worried about damage output, but Agrias en-Holy SSB and a bunch of Saint's Crosses from Orlandeau turned out to be enough. Wall was definitely required as an RW in this case.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shantotto cares little for Hein's barrier shift.
Her soul break takes him down real swift!
ohohohoho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
3/11 and a total boon for building up a wind team. Dorgann's Blade (first wind boost sword for me) and Faris's Bracers (first wind imperil for me). Also got a Romandan Pistol, which will have its uses and wasn't a dupe.

• Locked thread