Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Pulled a Partisan for Freya, a Partisan for Fran, a yellow megaphone for Cait Sith, a Cards for Setzer, and best of all a Artemis Bow for Faris! I didn't have any good debuff SBs and now I'm swimming in them. Also my first 5 star Spears. That was mythril well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

SageAcrin posted:

It's basically the same rate as the people that 11 pull and successfully dredge out 1/11 off-banners!
Speaking of which, I decided to pull an 11 on the Keepers Choice 2, since all of the relics looked really handy, except Excalibur V since I already have Bartz BSB.
I got one 5*. Guess what it was!?
At least I was able to get a ice-resist armor and some elemental weapons.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

That threw me off, at first I thought they had changed up the format of the newest Nightmare bosses and made it a really long gauntlet or something? Seems like an odd term to replace "Difficulty" with. What was wrong with "difficulty"?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Come to think, would it be worth it to spend the mythril to draw on the Keeper's Choice 1 set to guarantee access to Ramza's Grand Armor? It seems like putting in Exdeath and Ramza has helped me to improve on my hone quantity, and thus at this point all I'm really missing is a medica.

Tailwind is percentage based, I think, so it's a decent stopgap if you don't have a stronger medica. It's handy mostly because it's on Ramza.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got OK's SSB and egged him up to 97. Would've loved the BSB but I'll take another debuff SSB, plus I got Arc's medical, which is greatly appreciated since all I had before was tailwind and Eiko's hastega+médica, which just wasn't cutting it on the ultimate battles.
I used every single egg. I regret nothing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got a second Keepers Tome, and nothing else. Come on, man! Of all the weapons to dupe!?
Getting buckets of mythril definitely helps lessen the sting, though.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Watched two people whiff a BSB and an OSB on the little eyeball dude in the Dark Dragon fight, and then stupidly whiffed a Beryl Serpent on him. I guess those attacks are ranged too! Whoops. It works out, because the "Sorry! So Sorry!" sticker is my favorite. :negative:
Arc's instant-cast curaga is great in single player, but it is freaking AMAZING in multiplayer. A bunch of stuff is queued and people are hurting and then the trumpets sound, the heavens open, and everybody is better again.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

On that note, why isn't the BSB for any given FF9 character their trance state? I guess it would take a little extra work to use the alternate sprite, but it'd be pretty freaking sick. Or they could offer them as alt costumes, and they could add a little shine/sparkle effect. I'd leave Kuja in a Trance alt all the time.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I would kill for a Mystic Quest realm. Benjamin could have an OSB where he casts Cure, and it just inexplicably breaks the damage limit. You have 5 playable characters, plus the Dark King and the old-man-who-is-secretly-a-crystal-i-guess, and I think there's a Cid in that game too.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Really frustrated by this Behemoth /Iron Giant fight. I can take the damage like a champ, but I just don't have any good ice/lightning options right now, and my AoE game is really weak, so I keep running out of hones before I can kill one of them, much less both. I can't wait for the orb fest coming up, I need it so bad.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Galuf's invincible SSB is limited, since it doesn't work with anything else (he's invincible to EVERYTHING, including buffs, while it's active) but I've had a fair number of times where I've taken on a battle I'm not really ready for, manage to slug it out until the boss has just a little HP, Galuf goes invincible, the boss wipes out everyone, and then Galuf punches through that last little bit of HP and saves the day while the boss just whiffs on him. Of course, sometimes it runs out, and due to it's uniquely exclusive buff status, you can't renew it while he's invincible, so unless you get lucky and time it just right so he buffs himself before the boss's next move, Galuf just bites it. But when he comes through, it feels really dramatic and awesome. I got it before any buff/debuff/medica SBs and it carried a surprising amount of weight.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Zurai posted:

Galuf's SSB is actually really, really strong. There's a guy on Reddit who solos (sometimes he has to bring characters with Mako Might and Entrust if hit & run isn't an option) every U++ boss with Galuf. The posts are titled, appropriately enough, Galuf Solos Everything.
Really? I'll have to check that out.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I was saving up for OSB Fest, Minifilia and TGCid, but then I got stuck on the FF6 Ultimate and decided to pull on Keeper's Banner 2 for Shout and/or Wall (mostly Wall), since I still have a lot of dungeons to mine and a little stockpile of mythril. I didn't get Wall, but I did finally get Shout, plus Squall's old BSB. And then I started looking at this banner, and realized most of the stuff I want in OSBfest is available here. So I pulled and got a Shiny Thing...AND APOCALYPSE! I've got a 7 star Golden Hairpin! My first OSB!
I also did a dollar pull, which got me Razzmatazz. Uh...at least it's a 5 star!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:argh: you just pulled all three parts of water god tidus don't you dare give me this disappointment crap

I wrote the wrong sword. It's the Force Sabre. I would NOT have been unhappy about Razzmatazz. I got my FFX water swords mixed up.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I really like the music from Crisis Core, but most of the original pieces are more ambient/atmospheric and they re-use a couple of leitmotifs a LOT. It took a while for the music to grow on me. They're also not very good when you're hearing 5-second clips of them.
The victory music thing is weird.
I have a huge soft spot for Crisis Core. I liked the gameplay a lot, and I thought the game was really good when it was touching on stuff from FF7. Genesis was absolutely terrible, and there was a bunch of weird stuff with Angeal, but the bits where you interact with Sephiroth and Cloud and the Turks felt surprisingly true to the original, at least compared to the other FF7 compilation junk. Which admittedly is a really low bar.

That said I don't remember, like, any of the bits of the game these events are supposed to cover.

This may be the first Cid's Mission I complete, I've got a decent Synergy team-
Lv 67 Cloud with Climhazzard
Lv 64 Cait Sith with an attack/magic debuff ssb
lv 53 Cid with Big Brawl
lv 53 Red XIII with Protector's Roar
Lv 53 Zack with Apocalypse

missing a medica, but it gives me a boostga and a hastega and some solid DPS.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Got a dupe platinum sword and two copies of Minwu's medical. Which isn't terrible, but I already have Arc's instant medica +physical blink, so that's pretty disappointing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

All of my fire SBS are physical, but Valigarmanda's counter-stops weren't too bad. My white mage got out of stop in a couple of seconds and only one did it hit fast enough to stop two people at once. I was almost out of curaja hones and low on HP across the board when V died, but I never really felt like I was in serious trouble.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The problem with Curaise is if you have to revive someone, you have to re-add buffs. Most fights where someone died, I just don't have time to get those buffs back up before someone else is dead. So it's almost always better to bring Curaja and just not let people die as much as possible.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Faris is nice and I've found she dishes out a decent amount of damage, but if you put fullbreak on Ramza her BSB becomes kind of obsolete. I'd replace her with another character for DPS.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got Yshtola's medica II and two copies of her proshellga rod out of two 11 pulls. Really wish I had saved it for Tactics. Or gotten any other relic! Even wall! Come on, man!
I'm glad banner pills are the only real Gacha in the game, losing out like this makes me really sore.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I gave up on Mastery for Gilgamesh, every time I'd beat him, we'd miss out on a medal condition, and if I switched my load out to cover it, we'd miss the other one. One time it was because the one person with a wind skill never used it on Enkidu.

I just blew all of my summon orbs and half of my gil from Orbfest on hones, I've finally got R5 Shiva, Ifrit , Ramuh, and Maduin. Hopefully this will help my incredibly weak magic /AOE options! I want to pull in the 2nd 13 banner to help put together a mage team, but I love 9 and Tactics and I'm probably going to pull on those instead because they're my favorites. After dumping 100 mythril on 14 and getting junk on a character I don't care about, it just doesn't seem worth it to pull on a banner on a game I never touched.
How does the IX banner coming up look?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Finally took out Garuda! Turns out the feathers are red herrings. Every time I fought her I wasted time killing the first round of feathers to try and stem the incoming damage, then I realized they barely make a dent with mitigation up and the damage increase in her ultimate is negligible, and suddenly I had enough DPS to crush her before she could out damage my healer. I think this is the first u ++ I've beaten!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If I'm just looking for relics for a mage team, is the 2nd 13 banner or the upcoming Summoner nightmare banner better?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

So there are more 'wins' on the summon banner but there are also proportionally more losses. If you do the math, honestly, it comes out that you have a roughly equal chance to pulls raines BSB as you do to pull one of the top tier items off of the summon banner.

So, if you have fifty mythril to make one pull? It's pretty drat close. I'd almost say the Raines banner might win. But it's close. Where the summon banner pulls way out in front is that with each subsequent pull as the number of duplicates increases, the summon banner pulls further and further ahead.

TL;Dr: if you have 100 mythril pull once on each. If you have 150 + mythril, pull once on each and if you still want to pull more, the summon banner is a better idea and becomes a better and better idea (in relative terms. After a point, the real answer is stop pulling and save for TG Cid/Golbez/Anniversary banners) with every subsequent 50 mythril.

I'm probably just going to pull once. I've got mythril earmarked for TG Cid and the first FF9 banner, because those are my two favorite games, but I have terrible Magic options right now. I've got a few single target SSBs with no side effects, just straight damage, an EnDark AOE SSB on Kuja that's been handy if I want to bring Dark Zone (I need more DMOs!)and Quists' Hastega+Quick Cast. My best Medica is Arc's, which is really great for physical-heavy bosses, but just isn't enough on anything else.
So I guess I'll wait for the Summon banner, it sounds like more stuff fits into what I need. Thanks for the feedback!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I liked it better when a flamboyant monkey wanted to destroy the world. Actually, the concept of the 'Gate' and the passage of souls is a bit like the plot in 9, where Garland was trying to basically steal all of the souljuice from Gaia to rejuvenate Terra. Except hideously more complicated and dumb.

Varance posted:

FF13 in a brief, oversimplified and probably wrong in key areas summary:
:words:
Yep, that ought to do it.
I just want to chime in and say that, as far as I know, if you play the games, almost none of this junk about Bunnyhellraiser and Mwynn and so on seems to come up until the sequels, and even then it is clear as mud. It's all in the datalogs!
Is there some sort of video game post-mortem analysis of the 13 series? I find it fascinating how so much effort clearly went into it and it ended up so janky.

Also MP Bart is kicking my butt in the last 25% of his health, and I can't even begin to keep up with Ult+ Lightning's damage output. I don't have any healer BSBs, any tips on shutting down Lighting's DPS?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I've got native shout and I RWed wall, and she's still just smashing my face in. I don't get it- I had no problem handling Bart from the FFV event, but Lightning is just putting out damage too quickly for me to cope.
I forgot about the instant death=health% thing! I'll try that. Thanks!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Have someone equip lightning resistance and use Gaia Cross/Draw Fire and Magic Lure. Ideally you would want this person to have a good SB and the Knight's Charge RM so that they can contribute more to dealing damage. This should take care of her single target attacks. The rest of your party should equip ice resistance.

Aside from this use the standard procedure for high level bosses (medica SBs, Boostgas/Faithgas, Breakdowns, etc.). She's still got insane dps though

This and giving Arc Mako Might instead of Knights charge carried me through the initial beat down and from there it was smooth sailing. Thanks!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got Deployment Tactics off of the lucky pull, and then pulled in FF9-2. I already got Tin Armor on a dollar pull, so Steiner BSB would be a nice catch.
Guess what I got two dupes of instead?
:argh:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Shelke as a new FF7 character? Really? I'd rather have Genesis if we're going to start including spin-off characters from FF7. Or Hojo! Why can't I play as Hojo!?
EDIT: In no way am I saying Genesis is a good character. He's just not creepy the way an adult-trapped-in-a-kids-body+romantic sublpot is. Boy, I'd rather just forget Dirge of Cerberus ever happened.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

3 5* relics and a 6* relic!?
Tyro's OSB, his Earth elemental SSB, Krile's damage+quick cast SSB (it'd be more exciting if I didn't already have Quistis' haste+quick cast). Pretty disappointing.
On the other hand, I got Garnet's BSB! It's my first BSB with a medica, but since it doesn't heal on entry...it's kind of an odd hybrid. Oh well, it'll really help out with my Mage team damage and survivability.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I am stuck on this stupid SinSpawn fight in the FFX event. I tried running a mage team and couldn't do enough damage, went with a stronger physical team and made it all the way to the last Sin dude but ate it thanks to insufficient mitigation/healing. I've got Orlandeau drawtaliating, which has been great for the physical attacks, but these guys casting Bio does a crapload of damage through Shell+Wall, even after using Breakdowns/Dances. I'm using Yuna's Miracle Veil as my medica, I don't have a medica burst and the synergy+HP-stock seemed like a good idea. My team is:
Orlandeau drawtaliating and using his BSB
Tidus with his OSB
Ramza shouting at people to KILL FAST
Yuna healing
Faris dancing/using her Fullbreak BSB
RW Wall

I don't have any really strong sources of AOE damage. I've got Maduin and the 3 star summons, Garnet's milquetoast BSB, some SSB options that do AOE damage and/or mitigation, but on a bunch of characters I'm afraid are too squishy to take the spells that keep kicking my butt.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Finally got that Sin Spawn fight. It was mostly a matter of timing my wall recast and swapping Faris for Onion Knight, and then using the first two rounds to build up SB charges to shove through the last one.
Took out the Ult+ on my second try! I'll probably give Tidus a pass, he used Ultimate Spiral Cut twice and that just doesn't look like fun right now.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

My last 50 mythril. I think I have a mage team now! Holy moly.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Got Squall's OSB! it doesn't pair at all with his BSB, but having both does make him a handy Swiss-army knife of elements. This is my first ice SB. There's not a lot of then, is there?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

^^^I pulled on the FF8 Banner 2 and got Rinoa's dress. I feel your pain.

Mystic Quest is like Baby's First RPG. It holds your hand every step of the way, it's easy as dirt, the plot is really generic and simple, and I love it, because it's cheesy in a fun way. The battle system is turn-based, you get a limited number of spell casts instead of MP (but getting the game's versions of ethers is easy, at least by the end game), you only have two characters at a time and only your main character gets upgrades and a variety of tools, everyone else has a set selection of spells and one or two weapons.
The dungeons are a little bit like Zelda, you solve puzzles and use your weapons to bomb walls/push switches/move platforms. You even get an off-brand hookshot!
The best part is the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UNwLHA6x1Y
I would loooove to have Mystic Quest as a realm! You've got 5 playable characters, plus the villain and the weird old dude NPC, so you could do CM missions.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Status effects seem like a major gap in the way DENA had set up the game. If you need elemental buffs or debuffs, there's a lot of SB gear, equipment in the Keepers Choice banners and the elemental resistance accessories in the Nightmare dungeons with that's available.
If you want status resistance, good luck! Hopefully an event will drop something. I can give everyone stuff against blind, silence, and I've got one accessory with slow and confuse resist. The only form of broader mitigation at the moment is affliction break.
I don't get it, would having one major resist accessory for each status be that game changing? It's silly that I can have everyone resist KO but I am completely helpless against Petrify.

Edit:The lucky dice would've been way better if they gave minor resistance to all statuses.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Grabbed Zack's BSB off a dollar pull! I've got Clouds enwind SSB, Cid's wind SSB, and Bartz and Squall's BSBs, so while it'd be nice to get one of the other BSBS on this banner, I think I've got a pretty solid wind team already.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

How many stupid forms does that fight go through? Evrae Altana dumped four photon bursts in a row on me while I had a medica about to go off and wiped two people and then went into yet another form, and I gave up. Thanks for the heads up, Dr. Mog!

Bet he's not even a real doctor.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 4, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I currently am trying to work out the best way to tackle Rufus.

Taunt+retaliate neuters a good amount of Rufus' attacks. Dark Nation seems to ignore it, but by himself he's not much of a threat. Biggest deal he brings is Haste, which I only saw him cast once. A record-dived Cloud can take care of that, although you still have to solve bringing a source of dispel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

That's an alright pull! Not sure when I'll use Ingus outside of 3 content and earth weak bosses, but Ashe is now going on my mage team.

• Locked thread