Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Started playing this game a few weeks back and having fun so far. I've been eyeing the anniversary relic draws with my 74 mythril. I should be able to get up to 100 for two draws and thought I'd do double pull on phase 4 because it has the most amount of 6* overstrike weapons available. Mistake?

My team is:
Firion with Weaponsmaster burst
Terra with Blood Sword overstrike
Lightning with Lightning Strike super and Focused Bolts burst (and Smite unique I guess but it kinda blows)
Celes with Indomitable Blade
Emperor with Prison of Sorrow

I somehow pulled a lot of healing poo poo but the content I'm at doesn't seem to require that much healing. I have Word of Kindess Super for Arc, Asylum burst for Y'shtola, Intercession super for Penelo, Dreamstage super for Selphie and Sync for Porom. I don't have any of them but got a spare soul to pick up one when needed.

Other stuff I have are Lion's Roar burst for Squall, Shout super for Ramza, Knight's Honor burst for Steiner, Gilgamesh morphing time burst for Gilgamesh and Dark Knight's Charge burst for Leon. I don't have those guys either.

So, double pull on phase 4 for a heavy hitter and a good stat stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I caved in and pulled from phase 3. Two Zeromus shards. At first I was super disappointed but reading the thread gave me the impression that it's actually quite strong.

So yay instead, maybe.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I made a Memento Mori in preparation for the upcoming potential Golbez pain train and have been using it with Emperor.

Jesus Christ that ability hits like a truck, I'm getting ~7500 when no weakness is involved and the second hit with boosted mag is 9999 most of the time. Emperor's super with the boosted mag hits way, way harder too.

Interestingly the melee equivalent Death Throes seems way weaker.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Don't use Memento Mori with Golbez's BSB. The BSB already boosts magic, which makes Memento Mori redundant.

It's fantastic with other dark mages though

Will have to keep that in mind, thanks. Though still need something to use before the BSB, what would he be good with?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

When is this extreme fest coming and did it have 25 mythril pulls and how many?

I really want to pull on those as I have so tiny inventory

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks, but just to confirm: lucky means 25?

3 months is quite far, I think it's safe to blow my mythrils for 1 IX banner pull

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I turned the 9 around and pulled from 6 instead getting Kefka BSB and SSB.

Seems like a good pull considering I'm low on offensive casters and actually own Kefka + mc2 for him.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Gambling owns, 5/11.

Thunder God
Agrias OSB and BSB
Yuna Super
OK super

I really wanted that saintly excalibur and am really glad I got it

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Thinking I should back out from the realm dungeons for now and spend all of my stamina on leveling with orbfest while it's around. I need to level some people I have soul breaks for and am starting to have trouble in realms due to lack of flexibility available. The III-18 dungeon where you fight Leviathan just kicked my rear end. Leviathan took out my lower leveled shellga caster before I got a turn and then literally drowned the team.

What's the most efficient exp per stamina difficulty? Also the exp earned is shared between people who can gain experience, right? So I should use 4 capped characters to powerlevel one rookie?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Oh wow glad I asked before I executed that plan.

My people needing levels are 1-30. The second hardest should be doable with 2 veterans coming along. Thanks

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Wait, dailies are going to change? So I'll want to milk the first clear rewards feom these ASAP?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I still need a support guy and was going for Ramza since I have plat sword but now I somehow pulled a ton of stuff for OK.

I got Blowback SSB, Sword and Spell OSB and Vessel of Fate BSB.

How comparable are Shout and Vessel of Fate?

I don't have either dude but I think this might be a good spot to spend my final soul.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like OK would be worthless to me for now and will probably be free next week as well so that makes the choice clear.

As excited as I was to pull my first OSB for Terra she probably needs to make space for Ramza.

Terra (OSB) - > Ramza (Shout)
Y'shtola (Asylum, Aetherial Pulse)
Lightning (Focused Bolts, Lightning Strike, Smite)
Agrias (Divine Ruination, Holy Blade)
Celes (Indomitable Blade)

The next soul will probably be a sidegrade unlocking Orlandou who I got Thunder God for earlier. Thinking I'll swap between him and Celes depending on if Indomitable Blade would be useful instead of a shitload of damage.

I really like the synergy building up here. Lighting's burst imperils to lightning, Divine Ruination imperils to holy and then Thunder God should probably hurt.

My characters are in the 50s to 60s levelwise and there's way more content I can beat than I have the stamina for. Game's great, this planning feels great and everything's great.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is why I've been focusing a lot of my effort on the realm dungeons while half-stamina lasts, I'm up to 127 stamina cap. Maybe I'm making a mistake not grinding orb fest or whatever, but I figure a higher stamina cap lets me do more stuff in the future. Plus its nice to have the option to do a few dungeons and then be able to set the game aside for several hours to recharge instead of only a couple hours.

It seemed like the best play and I did the same thing, I'm up to 152 myself. However now that the orbfest reappeared and the dailies are going to rotate out I switched my priority to getting the mastery reward from each of them.

It's actually a pretty fun way to see how the team has gotten stronger, here's my orbfest clears before I grab the missing rewards:

Black: hardest difficulty cleared Normal (23)
Power: hardest difficulty cleared Hard (50)
Holy: hardest difficulty cleared Heroic (80)
Fire: all clear
Weapons: all clear

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

The trash waves get a lot more manageable with shell and protect. I have Memory of a Prayer on top for a regen as well.

The boss can usually just be nuked by a strong RW OSB x2 if you can just live long enough to get there.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I got Balthier's Gatling Gun burst and Fran Pinpoint super.

Pinpoint sounds terrible but Gatling Gun might be okay? Not terribly upset with this result as they are my first ranged 5* weapons and the "melee attacks won't reach" clause is pretty lovely for my teams.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I want my mythril back! Oh the joys of gambling.

In other news I'm done clearing the orbfests and only 150 stamina off from having the final two daily dungeon fights mastered.

After that I was thinking it would be a good time to try some harder content. Which of the nightmare dungeons are a good starting point?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I beat my first nightmare dungeon and grabbed the Crushdown record. Pretty fun fights, my only complaint is the lack of mythril rewards.

Then I farmed Mako Might, Dr Mog's Teachings and Ace Pilot RMs for future use.

Ultimate dungeons soon, maybe!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Gotta admit I thought you guys were exaggarating OKs weakness early but...

A scarecrow would make for a more convincing unit than this 50 OK. Sub 1000 HP at 50, with realm synergy.

Really looking forward to growing him though, with the staff, gloves and armor he seems super flexible being able to nuke, heal or buff.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

This WoFF Ultimate Behemoth seems like the worst possible fight to start attempting ultimate clears.

Meteor OHKOs the entire party so I am too scared to attack except right when the counterstance ends. The jerk eventually manages to take someone out and then everything crashes down the slippery slope.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Cador_2004 posted:

He doesn't counter retaliated attacks, even if the strategy is more or less pure cheese. I will freely admit that I have no hesitation whatsoever in using it, especially for an Ultimate like this one.

Thanks for the tip, I downed him now. The fight took like 15 minutes as my only reasonable reta user is weakish 65 Firion, but we got there in the end.

I ran out of protect uses so he got one of my healers near the end but somehow still got the champion rewards too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

For future reference, the other major classes of uncounterable attacks besides counters are Soul Breaks (such as OSBs) and SUM-typed abilities. So in my case I just brought along Garnet/Alphinaud/Ashe as my damage dealers, using various summons (including Garnet's/Alphinaud's BSB commands) and SBs (like Ashe's OSB) to not care about the gimmick. Still, good job using Drawtaliate there!

Thanks, the pointers are always appreciated. I could've used Golbez's BSB had I known that but really low on summons otherwise. The only summon abilities I've got are the free ones from 2nd anniversary.

Blinded by hubris after defeating an ultimate fight I tried the Mote dungeons. Got absolutely spanked four times but somehow managed to beat the XIII one, I'm not sure what happened there. Asylum probably was the biggest contributor, what a crazy soul break.

That Ifrit one in particular seemed impressively difficult. By the time I got an action off he had already clobbered 1-2 people to death.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I decided to go all in for Ahriman kill and shoved my eggs down OK's throat. Though more than eggs the MC3 was the risk as they seem super rare.

Luckily the OK bank pays heavy dividends. 99 synergy boosted OK was the difference maker but the guy still wasn't a pushover taking a dozen tries with ability and RW trials.

Where the hell do I get 3* motes? I can't even use these rewarded 4*

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

After gambling on leveling OK for that Ahriman kill OK's strong back also carried me to kill all of the mote dungeons except Ifrit. Then he killed WoFF Odin, III U and Xande U+ and took Garuda to half health with a setup consisting of "gently caress reading all this text let's wing it and see how it goes".

What a monster. He gave the team a lot of clearing power and credibility all himself. And to think I doubted the little benchwarmer.

But what the christ is up with that Ifrit? Garuda seems way easier, is Ifrit supposed to be D200 or something? What kind of a party is supposed to beat that rear end in a top hat

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

This Garuda fight made me realize I have no wind elemental SBs or any wind element abilities that are 4* or higher. Fly away bird, you win for now.

Interesting that wind is a no show for both 4* black magic and 4* spellblades.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

This banner is surprisingly tempting. The Shantotto relics would ease the lack of magic SBs, Prishe burst would be a first Monk SB and Lion burst would be the first Thief SB.

And of course no dupes as usual. But mythril doesn't grow on trees either. Will have to think this through.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Think I talked myself out of pulling. Definitely decent relics available but with Squall and Cloud banners coming and Extreme Fest en route...

Honestly I'd rather not have any thieves or monks after giving it some thought. It's kind of a blessing not needing to craft the abilities for them.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I noticed I could augment something with the five Rosetta Stones I've got. What gains the most benefit from this, weapons? Just put them on the biggest beatstick like Saintly Excalibur or Agrias' Ragnarok? On the caster front Zeromus Shard is getting heavy use. For armors it'd have to be Onion Armor.

I wish I could uncombine the 6* Zeromus Shard. Did not understand the value of +dark damage earlier.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

You should basically never use Rosetta stones on armor.

Best use is on weapons with +element that you'd use without synergy. (I.e. +++ reforges or OSB weapons).

So, basically, yeah, Saintly Excalibur and Zeromus Shard.

Also, go all or nothing with your Rosetta stones. Don't spread them around. +20 is a lot more noticeable than +2 on ten weapons.

And finally when addin Rosetta stones, in the UI, do it one at a time. Each time you put a Rosetta Stone on a weapon, there's a very small chance of a 'Major Augment' that adds +2 instead of +1. This roll only happens once even if you try to put on multiple Rosetta's though. So do one at a time.

Thanks for the quality info, I made TG sword a bit stronger. Didn't get major augments but it's good to know such a things even exist

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Thanks! The dailies are really tempting at the moment because my team are just powerful enough to roll through hard, but they take up all of my stamina. I might do the occasional one to get myself a set of aja spells then put them to bed for a bit.

I also just realised that my habit of going to any realm that has New! on it means I've got a bunch of easy elite dungeons available. Is there any resource that sorts them by difficulty or stamina cost across all realms?

One "trick" I've used is setting up a party and entering a dungeon with not enough stamina to fight before going to sleep. Then once I wake up I just hit up the first fight. Then I pause the game and drive to work or make breakfast or whatever and play it out when I can. Since the stamina cost was already paid the stamina regen is going on again. Helps with the low stamina cap.

I should hit the realms again myself but I want that final OK mote from Enigma++. These dragons don't seem to understand that I'll hunt them extinct unless they feel like sharing one.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Beat the mandragoras D160 with OK+Y'shtola. Not that the fight is hard but Y solo healing it felt great. Asylum is ridiculous.

OK's Fire Veil spam was pretty strong too considering it's a 3* skill

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

With both of the 200 fights done I'm tempted by the 240 ones too, starting with Ultros.

99 OK (+55 sphere lvls) / R2 Full Break + R3 Power Break / Vessel of Fate / Mako Might
91 Y'sh (+18 sphere lvls) / R1 Ultra Cure + R2 Wrath / Asylum / Dr. Mog's Teachings

Think this will be enough contribution to the fight? I can easily egg Y to 99 if it makes any difference.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

That might just do it, maybe up your Ultra cure one or two Rs, these can be really long battles. Maybe even R3 Wrath just in case.

Yesh, beat Orthos240. I did R3 Wrath by cracking a major orb for the missing greaters but couldn't upgrade Ultra Cure.

Randabis posted:

Yes definitely egg her to 99 and work on getting any other characters you have good SBs on to 80/99 if possible. The levels make a big difference in a lot of current content even taking synergy bonuses into account.

Since they've been handing out mc3s and eggs like candy lately if you completed things like the nemesis battles I have all of my most used people to 99 and its made a big difference especially in battles when my synergy isn't very good. I think I have like 12 or 13 characters maxed out now besides record dives, but I have made a lot of progress on that front too.

Egged Y to 99 before the fight as well. I wasn't strong enough to fight Nemesis when it was available but I've not been using eggs at all for some reason. Don't like the "missed experience" when doing fights with the main assets level capped but it's honestly super minor, I should just get over it.

Thanks for the help!

What about the 240Mandragoras? Y should still be fine but OK probably needs to go as he has no AoE, unless Fire Veil spam is still fine.

65 Ingus with BSB is probably my strongest option and I could soul and egg him to 99. Skills would have to be R3 Lifesiphon and R2 Banishing Strike. I have no motes to give him any sphere skills though so I'm not sure about his survivability while drawing fire. Alternatively 78 Agrias with BSB with the exact same skills.

Finally there's the 91 Lightning with BSB2. The command 2 is a decent AoE but the initial imperil might not tag all of them. R4 Thundara Strike, R3 Thundaga Strike.

I have exactly one MC3 which is why planning is needed before going for attempts here

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Ok, went pretty loving far in the 240 ultros mp dungeon. I had to switch out kain for tyro to have wall, but I don't think I'll do that again. I need to bring kain with his infinite thunder dive, or whatever group I get will never clear the dungeon. Other than that it would havr gone great, except a pubbie brought cloud with osb and an OK with loving renewing cure, really?

Probably was lacking OK motes to unlock five star skills.

Am I blind or are there no MC1, MC2 or MC3 available for the Emperor?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It is done yeah, a few hours ago or so. Works on iPhone at least

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I killed the Shadow Lord yesterday. This should graduate me from the "newbie squad" to "slightly less newbie". Also managed the 240 mandragoras with pubbies, decided to go with Blind and Wrath for OK. Blinding one of the screaming jerks helped a lot and it's an easily accessible spells for people with poo poo hones like myself.

Also there's that Emperor MC2 I wanted literally like yesterday. They seemed to have also released more MCs for the core characters but why the hell would anyone want to MC them unless they have a decent RM?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Argh I need to crank out my last 2 unfinished nightmares before the Legend Materia stuff hits. Ugh. Reraise and Valigarmanda :negative:

Are the nightmare dungeons leaving with that update?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Orlandou has five ability types at the 5* availability. Someone on the dev team really likes this guy.

Checked some others and Agrias has two and Ramza has one 5* availability.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

What other offensive mage burst besides Cid Raines thing are considered game breakingly powerful? I don't think this Golbez Twin Moon as the sole mage BSB is going to work forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

iPodschun posted:

Golbez will do a lot of good work because of the utility but yeah it's not the best for damage.
Edea is in the Maria+Papalymo mold as well, though she's stuck at 80 still. Ashe's BSB with en-Lightning is pretty strong as well.

On top of what's been mentioned, if you're not stacking MAG boosts then BSBs with a +MAG command like Quistis and Desch become more valuable.

Golbez burst is definitely fine, though absolutely looking for a pure shitwrecker currently.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Rapha's BSB on the current banner; the better enelement BSB's like Alphinaud, Maria, Papalymo...

Also some of the higher utility Mage Burst pieces like Fuujin and OK

Rapha, eh? Well let's give it a shot. 2/11 Genji Gloves and Grand Armor. Huh? Critical hit damage increase? That sounds useless as all hell.

Oh well, will have to keep an eye out for those others.

• Locked thread