Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can't Dispel Blink. You have to Reflect her before she casts it (probably using Raw Power RM to reduce the RNG).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looks like EXP dungeons are going to be twice per week in six months' time.

Several dungeons also get dual synergy, for instance, Black/Power has synergy for both IV and VIII. Basically, every realm has at least one daily per week now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hrmm, I don't think I can handle the Cid's Mission at this time. Best I got was to take out Red Soul and get the Ogres to about 30%, then they woke up and started spamming AoEs.

FFII really needs another mage or a Dancer, but we won't get the former til Emperor.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think it should be doable, I just have to retool my team again. Maria can almost do all the DPS by herself with a Meteor XVI RW and then finish it off with other spells, the team just needs to survive that long. I'll give it another go in a bit; worse case scenario I'll just wait til tomorrow when my RWs refresh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pichupal posted:

If you're going for Maria RW, wouldn't Leon make a better Mage with Memento Mori if you got a mage sword? Or is he otherwise occupied by Magic Lure or something, or you have Maria's Faithga Bow.

Haven't got around to trying it yet, so this might not be helpful.

The difference is about 10% MAG if Maria is buffing herself with Faith, which isn't enough of a difference to close the gap. Leon won't last the whole fight with Memento Mori - you definitely need more than two RW casts if you just have one Mage doing all the work. The upside of having Leon do mage duty though is that it frees Maria up for other uses, which is great because she's another source of Haste/Curaga if Gordon is preoccupied.

I think I can definitely do it, it's just a matter of praying for Sleep landing - not a great thing to do. But it's not like the fight will get any easier for me since I don't plan on drawing on II banners, so might as well stick it out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And it's finally done. Go join FFIV in the 'worst Cid's Mission realms', FFII.

Would have had everyone alive, but Red Soul hit a 40% health Firion with Blizzard V two seconds before a heal would have gone off. Ah well.

I was stuck for a while; my best attempt had the last Ogre Mage at 15% before AoEs killed everybody. Then the brainwave: why was I killing Red Soul first? Once I got that idea, there was still a lot of RNG, but it was a bit smoother sailing.

The extra synergy boost from the Ice Gloves helped to push Maria to enough MAG post-buffs to get 5 hits from Break. People who don't have that or one of her weapons will probably have to throughly dive her for it or wait for her MC3 which should be coming soon (for my part, I just did the Black Mage dive).

Maria's actions were: self-Faith, RW on Red Soul, Sunfirex2, Breakx2 on an Ogre Mage, Sunfire. Then self-Faith, RW on the Ogre Mage, Break, Sunfire to kill the Mage, then Breakx2 on Red Soul to finish it off. After that she used up the rest of her Breaks on the last Mage before finishing it off with a single Waterja.

Josef was the most fragile (he gets 2-hit by physicals), but I needed to bring him for Magic Breakdown - could have brought Leon or Maria for the extra source of Sleep, but Magic Break wasn't going to cut it here. Pound hit for about 3.3k on Red Soul. Firion had a shared heal and Desert Bloom for longer Sleeps, but the one time he got to use his heal he was killed off before he could use it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Lucky Pull got my Kagenui, Kagenui, Flexible Arm, and Traitor's Bow.

I can't say I'm sad but I really would have liked one of those Kagenui to be something else, or to have been his BSB instead since I have every SB for him now except his BSB :negative:

Speaking of BSB's though I pulled my first BSB on Firion 2 with my dollar pull. I got Minwu's and from what I recall he actually has a really good BSB right? I haven't looked at it too much because I haven't been playing as much trying to get over my ocd depression of failing two CM's and missing the Ult+/Ult++ of FF7 event lol.

Pyroclasm is actually still very solid; I still use it time to time on MT fights despite having Ark Blast. It also means Vaan can give himself a 50% boost without resorting to Steal Power or Shout, too, so you can throw him into a Mage team if you really need to.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Why can we not have sleep and slow machinist abilities :( All they have to do is make the sleep shot not wake up sleeping targets and it can work the same as all the others.

Confuse Shell exists and can snap the opponent out of it if you repeat it.

Also I'm assuming Slow Shell doesn't exist because of the existence of Slowga and Mug Time. And Sleep does have Phantasm.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Isn't it dependent on mind? I had Tyro equipped for mind in that fight and once I hit one with sleep he stayed that way for a good long while.

Every 50 MND gets you an extra second of Sleep time on battle speed 3. Enough that gearing significantly for MND will make a difference, but not enough for RMs like Desert Bloom to have a drastic effect.

Sleep's base duration is already 30s.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

widespread posted:

I like how Thancred overwrites Vaan's(?) fuckin' BURST SOUL BREAK.

Lucky draws are done with earlier realms shown first. Notice how it goes X > XII > XIV.

Attestant posted:

Took my magical A-Team for the mote dungeon, and yeah, ain't gonna take the FF2 crew to this fight. It was easy enough with access to Phantasm and dances, but the FF2 cast is so ill-suited for this fight.

It could be worse. Tactics would actually do pretty badly in this fight without relics if Ramza didn't have Phantasm/Lullaby - he's the source of Sleep for that realm. And if he's on Sleep duty he's not Breaking, so you'd have to have Mustadio do it.

III also has it pretty bad. Your only Summoner is also your healer, you have one source of Sleep (Desch) unless you Dive Refia, and you have no Full Break and only one Breakdown user (Ingus), so to meet the conditions Luneth and Refia have to bring the 3* Breaks as well.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 27, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pichupal posted:

Depends. I'd personally combine them after the event is over, since Gabranth and Basch can borrow them for the CM (It's Holy Weak) and Gabranth can carry ProShellga for you. U++ is also Holy weak, so if you have good SBs for Katana users, it's worth considering keeping them separate for that too (Firion's BSB, Shout for Ramza as examples).

edit: looking ahead to the Vayne event, the U+ is the loving Mandragora Squad and you need to hit a Holy and Dark weakness for Mastery, and the U++ is Holy/Fire weak.

The Mandragora squad is also pretty hard, too. There's a CM associated with it, but that's not actually too bad since XII's cast is pretty good. Issue is that unless you pull Larsa's Cloud Staff you'll have to RW your Hastega for it (or have Penelo/Larsa manually cast it, but the former will probably be busy Dancing).

The Holy weakness won't be too bad to hit, but the Dark weakness is a bit of a fumble since we don't have Unholy Blitz; without Gabranth/Basch's SBs, you have to use Gabranth or Vayne to hit it, unless you craft Ultima Weapon for Ashe or Dive Basch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NaanViolence posted:

Ashe's Stoneblade is amazing because it's a medica on a mage. If you want to go mage meta with a non-healer medica then it's either her or OK. There's nobody else.

Surprised to see people here are disappointed to draw it. I already have Faris's BSB so I would have preferred to pull Stoneblade for my dollar draw instead of the Orichalcum Dirk I pulled.

Yuffie also exists.

Stoneblade is basically the consolation prize for those hunting for Ashe's Defiance; it's a good enough stat stick but compared to the grand prize it's nothing special.

Ark Blast is different from Beryl Serpent and actually synergizes well enough with it; it's excellent DPS because it's instant cast, its debuff (MAG/DEF) is unique to this day even in JP, and the commands are fast-cast, too. There's a reason it's considered one of the best BSBs around despite not having an element.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NaanViolence posted:

Thanks for the lengthy reply! Gotta quibble a bit, though: Global FFRK is a single player non-competitive nostalgia game. It's impossible to be a scrub. I use ninja magic for those rare times it really shines, but otherwise I want mages in my mage party. I love ninjas, just not for magical purposes.

I also have a number of fine magical mage SBs, but no magic SBs for ninjas so...

Magic SBs for Ninjas won't exist anyway until we get Fujin in about 4 months, who more or less ties with Edge for best Ninja and is probably top 10 in Mages.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

(edit) Big con for Clear Tranquil of course is that I don't think it is available outside lucky draw banners anymore. I don't think it repeats on any banner anytime soon.

In fact, unless there's a VII realm lucky draw, it won't appear period; Yuffie doesn't have any 5* abilities for Nightmare access.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Right, Desch's imperil is coming with the Onion Knight banners; it's a SSB, Lightning/NE with a +30% selfish faith and imperil, six random hits.

So, you know. Traditional Desch Quality. (aka it's bad)

It's better than Fran's version, who is also random as well, since it actually has an additional effect with the self-Faith. It synergizes better with Ashe too since they're both mages.

Barret's is the best in a vacuum since it's AoE, but I'm not sure I'd bring a Support just for Imperil unless I was really building a strong Lightning team.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

Well 2nd pull netted me two holy rods and another stone blade.

No bursts this time, but my XII synergy is now pretty good!

The Holy Rod is also one of the better rods, thanks to its +Holy attribute. If your healer is actually doing any damage, go ahead and whack it on.

It's also a good enough weapon in-realm for any mage using Alexander (hi Ashe).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Question is, as someone who has Meltdown and Terra's Fire Beam, but also only has Celes's BSB as a faithga, is it worth it to hone up Chain Firaga if I can't get it to R4 or R5? It seems like there'd be too much downtime without the Enfire to really capitalize on both with reduced hones compared to plain Firaja.

I imagine most people won't be able to hone it past R3 unless they want to ditch the other Chain spells, so you'd be fine.

One option is to give Terra Wrath so she can spam Fire Beam. It works better if you pull her OSB down the road though, since she can go Fire Beam > Wrathx2 > Meltdown/Chain Firaga > OSB.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, what? So even F2Ps who haven't been particularly "lucky" with dupes will get to kiss their wallets goodbye with some actual +++ 8*s?

I mean, I'm glad we get Galuf and Lenna, especially since I've been demanding it for months, but having an essentially free +++ throwing weapon/hat with FFXIII synergy for anyone who's been here a year or longer is huge.

The throwing weapon isn't that useful for Cid's Missions, sadly, since the only character that can use it in-realm is Hope, and he'd really like magic instead.

I'd probably consider making two 6* hats instead of a 8* hat with a leftover. Mage armour is pretty rare in XIII.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
11-pull:

Man, this was pretty much everything I wanted from the banner, too. Would have loved the Defender, but it'll reappear on Vayne 1 (which I'm planning on going hard on), so I'm overall extremely pleased.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to pull on the nightmare lucky draw and the debuff banner, it's 50 mythril for 22 items, one of which will likely be a medica soul break, and another which will be a decent support item. If you get lucky, you might get 4-5 5* items, but remember that 4* items are good in the early game too!

Nightmare lucky draws are 50 Mythril now, not 25.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KnoxZone posted:

You absolutely need a dark res acc on your squishy healers for the U+ CM. I forgot to equip my party with them and the scripted Maser Eye hit Penelo for 5500 damage through protect/breaks. I still managed to win, but it ended up being with Ashe as the sole survivor.

For the U++, Daedalus has a stop that will last for almost 20 seconds. It can absolutely wreck your party, but there is one thing that can be done about it: If you stop your own stopped party member, it overwrites. So that 110 mind Celes stop will overwrite that 900 mind stop and lasts a couple seconds at most.

Alternatively, I believe physical Blink can dodge it, so those with Basch/Sabin's SSBs can time it to dodge the scripted move.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All bonus battles down, had the chance to pull out my new toys (Zeus Mace and Cloud Staff) for the U+ and U++s too. Had to gamble on Daedalus not using Piercing Darkra, since my only magical mitigation was Ark Blast/Mist Overload and it hits for over 7k. Got very lucky and he never Stopped my party, too. Penelo did about 26k with her commands after the first use, which was pretty nice for a character without EnHoly.

Sadly the Zeus Mace is pretty much doomed to become a Rosetta Stone; the Cloud Staff is better all around (except that it's a Staff rather than a Rod), and the Holy Rod trumps it all around as it just trades 7 MND for a +20% Holy damage boost.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What the poo poo is up with this Ultimate fight, it is hard as hell! Those things are just making GBS threads AoE that is doing over 1k with Protectga / Shellga up, and the single target magic is hitting for almost 3k.

This is harder than last week's U+ and U++ fights.

Paralyze/Sleep takes them out of the fight. Quezacotl is your best option for Paralyze if you don't want to bring Lullaby or use a Reno RW.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I don't have a mage team so that's out the window :/

Basically I have to figure out a way to do it with an all physical team (with one mage that can bring Ramuh and Thundaja) and that's it.

Try a Ninja then - they don't need a lot of MAG, and RES isn't a concern with them. Ramza's a solid option since he can also carry Lullaby to Sleep them, and then Bolt Veil once they're out of the fight. Alternatively, any of the Ninjas can carry Phantasm if you don't mind Sleeping them one by one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Banner 1 has two phenomenal bursts, an Imperil SSB that works with one of said bursts, and an Imperil SSB that instead works with possibly the most common element in the game. It also has a Curaga medica with a Diaga-style kicker. It is a Fantastic Banner.

Banner 2 has FF12's only native Hastega (also on a Curaga medica) along with two questionable bursts, an AoE Full Breakdown SSB, an AoE auto-stun SSB, and Basch's Platinum Shield (aka the Hand of the Emperor Clone on a +Holy armor). It is slightly less fantastic but Still Very Good.

Gabranth's Hauberk (on banner 1) and Defender (on banner 2) are kind of :geno:, though.

Intercession is actually straight up Holy, just split into three hits. The item itself is more splashable than the Zeus Mace due to the +Holy boost.

Mist Overload is single-target, not AoE. And Defender has its uses, physical Blink isn't as common so having some source of it can be nice.

Evanescence isn't game-changing like Hamelin was, but it's still a mix of decent effects on a fairly versatile healer. It would be a lot better if either the buff or the Medica entries was stronger, but eh. Makes Penelo very splashable in most teams, although if you need pure healing for a non-mage team there are better BSBs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you can find one, a well-geared Lightning Crushing Blow RW will kill the Azers after two summons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

What am I looking for here, because I have a level 99 one and it's doing 2.5-3k damage per hit, so it would need 4 casts for me.

Synergy is more important than levels.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ETB posted:

Anything we should do to prepare for that battle, relic- or ability-wise?

There is a lot that's basically down to RNG and status effects. That said, pulling Larsa's Cloud Staff will help, as it's the only XII Hastega, allowing you to RW Wall. You definitely want to bring a Dancer (so Penelo for CM). While AoE does help, bursting them down too quickly just leads to all of them spamming AoE Headbutt in return. If you're going for Mastery, you need both Holy and Dark attacks; if you have Gabranth's SSB that's an easy way to fill that element, but otherwise your only Dark options for the CM are Gabranth/Vayne using Darkness abilities, or Ashe using Ultima Weapon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hmm, I think that Halloween 25 Mythril is gonna go straight to the Buff Lucky Draw. Another chance at Protector's Roar would be great, plus also a chance at Strange Vision and Sheepsong. In fact, if it comes after OK his BSB will be in there, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also for those who missed it, they swapped the next Dungeon Lucky Draw from XI/V/VIII to VII/V/VIII instead. Last chance for Clear Tranquil!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

I do have to wonder what's going to happen with XI relics, though. I don't doubt we'll eventually get Ayame and Curila, but without the Grandmasters event, there's no real good, solid place to get their relics even if they're released later.

Best compromise I could think of would be to fold them into the Gold Fest banners and release the characters at the same time, or put them into the WoFF banner in place of the non-Lann/Reynn relics. Otherwise they're kind of stuck until the next Fest at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I feel like the Omega fight is going to end up being stupidly hard in comparison to these other coliseum fights, unless this was just the easy one and they start ramping up from here.

Also I've done almost 20 dollar pulls and I've never gotten a 5-star of any kind, so it's probably time I stop doing them before I hit the point where I would have been better off whaling on a banner.

All the fights are multi-target, so you can just quash them with sufficient AoE (although you might want to use ST stuff for Biran/Yenke since it's only two targets).

Omega itself is basically encouraging Stop-lock (and it's a medal condition anyway). He starts with Flash and then Reflect, so if you're using physical teams you'll either have to bring Blind resist accessories, Blindna/Esuna, or just Lifesiphon/Pound and SBs. If you're using a mage team, bring Dispel to handle Reflect in case you don't Stop him in time. He absorbs all elements except Lightning (which he's weak to).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

Speaking of which, what happens if someone under burst gets confused or berserk? Do they uncontrollably spam the BSB command or is it just normal attack?

Normal attack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFXII isn't nearly as bad as III. :colbert: Not looking forward to whatever shenanigans Garuda is going to have in the Cloud of Darkness event.

I mean Mandragoras are a pain, but some of XII's fights like Dr. Cid are pathetically easy. Also just about all of the worst fights (except again, Mandragoras) are weak to Holy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I'm not sure how right this is, but in general, if Y'shtola is hasted and doing SOMETHING (even just a staff whack) every turn she gets, Stoneskin II will be up on exactly the turn it wears off, so while she's casting we'll be unprotected but otherwise it doesn't fall off.

With RW Shout, I just recast it when the boss is at half health, and if the Ramza I RWed has good MND it works fine.

A rough expectation is about ~6 turns under Haste for 25s, so that's about 70% of a SB bar. So you do need a bit of RNG.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I feel like the only thing unfair about Daedalus is the Stop, and even then it is possible to work around it. He's bulky, but he's got a very exploitable weakness.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Adel posted:

Thanks for the reply. Is the initial debuff the same ID as full breakdown/multi break or do they stack? I wonder if his BSB could replace the need to bring defensive breaks.

I don't want to be ungrateful about getting a BSB but yeah, I'd much rather have Faris' for pretty much that reason. Finding a way to slot in Wakka is gonna be a challenge, especially since I don't have any ranged X weapons for him to use.

Same ID as Full Break, just 10% stronger all around. If you can't depend on the Boss to hit Wakka that often, you might want to bring a Breakdown just in case - not like Wakka has many other options anyway.

So how is sapphire shot without a ranged weapon? Apocalypse has so much more atk than my best thrower even WITHOUT synergy that it's really no contest what to put on Tidus.

Good enough really. You could even have Rikku take over debuffing duty for the bonus battles for this event and just have Wakka using Sapphire Shot if you have one of his Blitzballs.

Only real reason Saint Cross is better is because Water is much harder to buff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I do not have any blitzballs (thank god), my only X synergy weapons are chaos rod, 2x apocalypse, and a 4+ sword. Pretty much the only realm I'm CM-ready in is V. :v:

I assume the water boosts from apocalypse and golden hairpin stack?

They do, yes. Essentially, your Tidus is pretty much set for life for any boss except those that resist/absorb Water.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Forgot to lower Ba'Gamnan's attack on the final round, still mastered it anyway. :v:

I'm still a little sore about skipping my 11 pull on this banner, but I need to save the mythril for Onion Knight.

They all died before I got Halting Rumba off, still an easy Master.

I'd post my spreadsheet, but my XII synegy is embarassingly large and dwarfs a lot of my other realms (except maybe VIII). I usually just stick to a SB spreadsheet instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You have the bare bones, but hones are definitely going to be an issue. It should be no problem getting another hone out of Swift Bolt, for instance.

How's your defense without Wall? If you can handle the Short Fuse section, Maria's Song will bolster your mixed party (and you already have Ramza for Haste).

But yeah, swap Swift Bolt and Magic Breakdown on their characters.

• Locked thread