Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I did a spontaneous three pull on banner 2 of the VI event since it just landed and all.

Well hello there Strago. I'll take a Wall Jr. most joyfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I've had my RW set to a decked out Maria BSB but I'm thinking I may change it over to Strago's Mighty Guard VI for something with more utility that more people can use, as well as being something that'll be less common I reckon. What do you guys think?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

:toot:

Getting a holy weak Ult++ is nice when I have a pretty kickin' rad holy team setup now. Weird two white mage setup courtesy of having Selphie's BSB and making her an attacker.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh cool, nightmare is here time to do a 100 gem and get some tr--

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo my first OSB. Hell yeah!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Nightmare Atomos being a chump, completely melted him without him doing much to me in return. Now to never actually make Dervish. :toot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I cannot loving believe my luck and I expect nothing for the rest of time holy poo poo I finally got a Zidane relic I think I might cry.

This right here is why I still put my faith in the single pull lifestyle.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Attestant posted:

Grats! Haven't you been chasing a Zidane relic for ages, too?

FeralWraith posted:

Oh, right, you've been trying forever to get a Zidane relic, congrats!

Literally since his release event like a year or more ago, yes. So I'm incredibly ecstatic now! I don't care that it's not a fantastic BSB it's the thing!

Nihilarian posted:

hell yeah, grats. I've been rooting for you to get one since you got pissed at me for having two Orichalcum and an Exploda lmao

Nah friend, I wasn't seriously pissed off at anyone pulling what I want. I don't get salty at other people getting things I'm gunning for. It's all up to the fickle RNG gods after all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Koobes posted:

And the weird part of it is that it gets better with age, mostly due to theives getting that 5* 2x hit wind skill

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Time to save up orbs for Dash Bite, YoshiofYellow :v:

The extra fun part is I have Thancred's Air Knives which are the most perfect thing to use in conjunction with Dash Bite. I'm so ready!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Honestly, skills have been all over the place lately. The poison and wind thief skills with "deals more damage with daggers" could have easily been Sharpshooter instead, to actually give that skillset purpose. Instead they just added a 4* version of Sapphire Shot and called it a day with the latest X event. :psyduck:

Similarly, the upcoming Darkness skills which end up just being physical versions of the magical skills and vice versa.

More options is always cool and I won't complain but some of the design decisions are just strange.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Attestant posted:

Oh, hey dollar pull being nice:

I also did an actual whale 11-pull, because somehow FF7 has some of my worst synergies, and most outdated soul breaks. Wind stuff for my Team Gusty would be great too. 2/11: Cloud's Guise and Cid's Javelin. Not the Wind stuff I'd have hoped, but I think my FF7 stuff is sorted for the time being. :toot:

I got this too! I'm gonna combine it with Strago's Mighty Guard VI to have an off brand Actual Wall effect on my Holy team. poo poo will be awesome.

I'm obviously due for a horrible godawful slump after getting 4 5* relic pulls in a row now. Like goddamn I wish I could share this luck with other people.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

Personally I think Cid's Shout-clone is inferior to Shout.
First, Cid can only equip daggers and spears, so he can be pretty hard to equip with synergy gear. Ramza has a much broader weapon (and armor) selection.
Second, Support 5 is useful for almost every fight, while Cid's ability loadout is not. For many hard fights, Mechanist is useless. Dragoon can always do some damage if you invest in the right abilities, but its ability to hit weaknesses and such is spotty. Plus, unless you're careful, jumping is slow. Not only can this cause your buffer to miss out on buffs (potentially making them easier to kill), but dragoons tend to build SB gauge slower. You don't really want your hastega/boostga falling off for a long time because of slow jumps/not getting hit enough from jumping. Cid can lifesiphon, which helps, but that's pretty "meh" DPS on a DPS character.
Third, you'll still be bringing a support, probably, which tend not to have very damaging SBs. You're giving up a damage SB on a DPS for a support SB. Not a huge deal, especially if you have another good stacking SB on your support, but worth considering.

That said, Cid's shout is better than no shout.

See but.

gently caress Ramza. :v:

Cid is a much cooler character.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

If you've played XIV at all you wouldn't call Minfillia cool. :colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Help me I'm drowning in white mage weapons.

My lucky draw was Arc's Cura + 50% RES medica staff and my 2nd copy of Selphie's BSB rod.

I already have an 8* Physician's Staff and at least 2 or 3 other curaga medica staves. :supaburn:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Holy bananas those LMs are crazy. I guess that was expected given the investment required but still a lot of those are just so good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Game, we've had this talk. I don't need even more white mage relics.

Actually gently caress it, it's time for the White Mage Meta. Get in for Ms. Selphie's Wild Ride. :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

considering i'm whole hogging on orlandeau coming up this makes me a hypocrite but i think that if you consider every banner "burnt" after you do a 50 pull on it you'll get a lot more mileage out of your chips

I've just gotten into the single pull lifestyle, I don't really save up mythril other than when half-price lucky draws are coming up. Otherwise I just throw down 5 mythil on banners I have interest in. I know it's not efficient at all but I've gotten a ton of cool stuff in the past month or so.

List Includes: Dorgann's SSB, Lenna's BSB, Galuf's SSB, Angeal's SSB (2 Copies), Cid's SSB (Shout Clone), Tidus' OSB, Zidane's BSB, Leo's SSB

I realize this is completely just personal bias with really good RNG but I'm happy not worrying about saving up mythril all the time. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Am I too late for the Quistis BSB talk? Because I just pulled it and am incredibly happy because Quistis is a favorite. :kimchi:

Her and Maria are gonna be BFF destruction goddesses in my mage team.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Beasteh posted:

Never too late for Trepie chat, Quistis is good and cool

:hfive:

She was always my fave from VIII. I'm very happy to have something cool for her after all this time.

Now if only any real +Poison gear existed...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So I'm rearranging my Mage Team with the recent acquisition of Quistis' BSB and I'm having a bit of a dilemma on how to fill this party.

Scenario #1:

Maria: Stoneja/Chain Stonega, Ace Striker RM
Quistis: ???/Wrath, Devotion RM
Yuffie: Ninja Magic/Dances, Battleforged RM
Krile: Firaja/Chain Firaga, Mako Might RM
Selphie: Curaja/Proshellga, Dr. Mog's RM

This is the setup that lets Maria get 6 hits from Break without a MAG RM. Yuffie bring her medica to free up Selphie for using BSB instead of her medica SSB. This setup has the maximum damage potential thanks to Strange Vision and Sheepsong stacking. Maria and Quistis spam bursts, Yuffie builds gauge through ninja magic weakness to fuel medicas as well as supports with a relevant dance, Krile provides sheepsong and more magic damage, Selphie provides Strange Vision and healing/mitigation.

Scenario #2:

Maria: Weakness Exploiting, Defiant Archer RM
Quistis: ???/Wrath, Devotion RM
Strago: Magic/Summons, Mako Might RM
Krile: Firaja/Chain Firaga, Dr. Mog's RM
Vanille/Minwu/Yuna/Ovelia/Selphie: Curaja/Proshellga, Battleforged RM

Maria has to use a MAG RM to get 6 hits of Break, and thus will build gauge pretty slowly when there's no weaknesses to exploit. This setup also gives up a bit of support access for Strago's Mighty Guard VI which provides a huge amount of magical mitigation that will stack with a Wall RW. I have a billion options for a healer with a good medica on hand in the last slot.

Both setups are appealing but I'm not sure which one will perform better. My main worry is how slow Maria will build her SB up without lifesiphon or wrath access.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Pulled a thyrus and two wizard's gloves from XIV. Having a native wall feels so strange after all this time. I'm also hyped for the new ninja spell for Yuffie to have fun with.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

My 100 gem on the last fest banner got me a dupe Gabranth's Hauberk. :v:

Oh well, contemplating if I'll combine it or not. Dark Resist gear isn't exactly common but eh...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

YOLO :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's not quite Refia BSB levels of murder but this is gonna be fun. :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The JP daily has been a 3x for a very long time, much longer than the timeframe of when it would've come to us if it was planned to. If anything I think the odds are slightly worse to compensate for getting 3 per day.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

superloosegoose posted:

I got Yda's unique bracer (in a single pull of course) it's pretty bizarre, which is a party wide moderate MND up, and "greatly increases" crit chance.

I wonder how much of a boost that is? Too bad I'll prob never use him.

:catstare:

Yda is a lovely lady how dare you.

Anyways, Internal Release is a flat 50% crit chance to the entire party. It works incredibly well on abilities that hit a large number of times. The MND boost alongside is nice for your healer as well as making sure status ailments don't stick around quite as long on your party. It's a very good SB if you can fit Yda into your party for it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Pulled Fang's Punisher from this new banner. I was looking for a new wind toy for my wind team. :getin:

Now here's the question, are jumps still good DPS and worth using without Blood of the Wyvern? Because I'm considering taking Wind Jump & Sky High on her since even though I haven't gotten to hone the former, it'll still be some really nice damage with an imperil up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

pichupal posted:

Not bad in single player at Speed 1, please don't in multiplayer.

Only benefit is the extra Air Time on Sky High makes scripted attacks really easy to dodge at quicker speeds.

Wind Jump will probably hit 9999 really easily too with Enwind since it's already stronger then Aerora Strike. Might go with Wind Slash for the quicker cast time, SB generation with the Imperil up, and it's still ranged if you want to keep Fang in the backrow.

Edit: whoops, I'm thinking of the wrong Fang SSB.

So I could perhaps opt for Wind Blade + Sky High essentially? I'd be in no danger of running out of hones despite only R1 Sky High since Wind Blade is cheap as all hell to hone. I'm okay with this idea.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Decided to give the Cid's Missions a crack since they were interesting and I have massively kitted out Vanille. Bart was an rear end in a top hat and proved to be pretty tricky to take down with how much only having 3 characters limits your capacity for stuff. Ended up using a Vessel of Fate RW for the haste and added stacking ATK buff along with Sazh's boostga. Vanille used Mako Might Oerba's Boon for Protect and then brough Curaja and Shellga. Fang was DPS/Medal Earner with Temp Flurry and Dismissal, also using the OK burst commands and Pulsar Burst SB because the jackass resists elements making Highwind less damage.

Take that rear end in a top hat space pope! :argh:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Also Gaffgarion is released alongside Cid but he's so thoroughly outclassed straight on his debut that nobody remember him. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Decided to do 1 last pull on the ff14 banner. One relic, hoping for another burst. What do I get?

Red XIII's Diamond Pin

gently caress you too DeNA

I want a Diamond Pin. I'm only missing that, his Trine relic, and the Crystal Comb to have a complete dog companion. :v:

Reminds me of the time I pulled on one of the first SB festivals and got an off banner Gold Barrette.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The Summoner Nightmare looks to be estimated for the 24th and Platinum Sword makes an appearance on TGCid Banner 2 alongside his new SSB Chant as well as his BSB.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I spontaneously whaled a couple of 3 pulls on banner 1 because while the hot new thing is Cid's BSB I like the stuff on the first banner more and want Snow's BSB.

Came out with Noel's SSB instead. I'm okay with this, instant damage with auto-stun and two turns of powerchain is hot stuff.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oof, Ult+ Lightning hurts. I thought I'd have more than enough stuff to do the CM but that damage is hard to keep up with. Curses!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Pulled off the U+ CM! I switched out Fang for Snow who Magic Lured away most of Lightning's dangerous magic stuff in her Ravager form. He still ended up dying I was able to pull off the win thanks to his sacrifice. :911:

Other MVP ended up being Noel. His SSB is so amazingly good. Being able to auto-stun a boss with a billion speed is a godsend and the damage from it was respectable to boot. Plus those two turns of instant Full Charges. You did me a proud my XIII squad.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Single pull lifestyle still going strong. :aaaaa:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I made a thread over on the subreddit giving a bunch of good SB options for MP Barthandelus that aren't Indomitable Blade or Wall if anyone here would find that useful. I was seeing everyone talk about the main hyped relics but there's actually a bunch of lesser talked about things that are incredibly nice for this fight.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

pichupal posted:

I'd imagine Tellah's SSB (ATK/MAG +30%, Party Powerchain, and self-doom but that doesn't matter here) would be a good one too if you can throw it out right after the Dispel. Letting everyone else put up their buffs quickly with the instant cast should hopefully make recovering easier to deal with.

Huh... I swear I remember that being only a self powerchain effect but I guess I was wrong. :derp: I'll add that to the list, that's definitely useful.

Also!

That U++ fight was rude and I ended up resorting to a mage team with an Ashe BSB RW to melt through it as fast as I could. Faris still died on me midway through but the combo of Maria BSB and Papalymo using the Ashe RW got me through in the end. Even squeaked out mastery somehow! :toot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh I guess Lightning is now upgraded to Storm Goddess of Destruction given that I now have her EnLightning + OSB combo. :getin:

Man I'm gonna have one hell of a slump after my ride of glory on relic pulls lately.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh thank god they buffed Yda's BSB with name changes.

Command 1: Bootshine -> Snap Punch
Command 2: Rockbreaker -> Fists of Earth

The world makes sense again! :yayclod:

In other news DeNA decided to just put the VI banners on their wiki so we have details on the new stuff from banner 2 now. The notable ones being Leo and Strago's BSBs.

Leo BSB - 8xST Holy/Earth physical dmg, party ATK/RES +30%
Attack-> 2xST Holy/Earth physical dmg, self Quickcast Knight 2
Defend-> 2xAoE Holy/Earth physical dmg, self Sentinel

Strago BSB - 7xAoE Water/Wind/Earth magic dmg, EnWater
Attack-> 4xST Water/Earth magic dmg, ally Magic Blink
Defend-> 2xST Water/Wind piercing magic dmg

I want that Strago BSB, it looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Did a 3-pull and got a dupe Wizard's Rod. It's a nice 6* Stat Stick now.

Also yay we finally get that Dash & Slash skill so I can shove rosetta stones into my Air Knives (XIV) for Zidane to abuse. :toot:

• Locked thread