Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bizarre deformity posted:

I have the Full Metal Rod & Kuja is lv 80

What's the strat?

Kuja carries that rod, casts Memento Mori, then summons Hope's BSB. Command 1 proceeds to do 20-30k damage per cast depending on debuffs and such.

For the rest of your party, you want: someone that can cast Protectga, at least one Dancer 5 carrying Multi Break and Magic Breakdown Dance, and then at least one Dancer 4+ with Mental Breakdown dance.

Yuffie is particularly good for that last role, especially if you have a thrown or fist or dagger or Bow with Mag (even off realm) that she can use; I had her doing 6500 damage with an FF2 bow w/110 Mag, Fire Veil, and appropriate + element materia. Swift Bolt would be equivalent.

After that, fill up the rest of the group with whatever (magical) Holy, fire and Lightning damage you can scrounge up (Ninjas, as mentioned are great. So would a spare white mage with an extra medica and Diaga). Maybe toss in Power Breakdance for some extra mitigation if you have the slot free.

Honestly, the BSB will do most of the work. If you can get Kuja to 400 Mag unbuffed, throw in Memento Mori and Mental Breakdown and he can literally solo the thing in terms of outgoing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cleretic posted:

Trash mobs shouldn't have Roulette.

No, bosses shouldn't have roulette.

Trash mobs can be killed before they cast it.

(I also just brought my R2 Curaise instead of Curaja which solved all my other problems. It's not like any of the pre-bonus stages required much healing.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Extremely late to the party, but I finally beat that loving zombie dragon and nabbed my MC III lode. Reviving bosses are the death of me, not totally sure why. Here's my party breakdown in case anyone else is struggling:

SBs:
Cloud: Climhazzard/Finishing Touch
Aeris: White Materia
Faris: Sea Lord's Broadside, never used (she was only there so I could buff my defenses enough to stop dying)
Ramza: Shout
Zack: Apocalypse

I wound up doing some orb management and honing up a firaga strike so I'd have the DPS. Aeris' BSB was a lifesaver since it let me carry both shellga and protectga while still having a curaga (-ja?) command available.

Reviving bosses might be the death of you because your breakdowns only look to be R2; remember, every time the boss 'dies' all it's debuffs get cleared and have to be reapplied.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Not only is Beatrix's BSB AoE Holy, it also applies an effect known as Imperil Holy; what that doesnis makes bosses vulnerable to attacks that do holy damage (such as, for example, Beatrix's burst commands, and many of the Knight skills she can use.)

The bonus damage isn't massive (+20% - it adds up once/if you get some other holy damage dealers in your party, but for just Beatrix, it's weaker than the 'enelement' category of effects that competes with imperils for space), but the great thing is that when you hit an enemy with an element that they're vulnerable to, you get more SB gauge from that hit.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh wow, that's pretty thorough!

Thanks everyone, definitely gonna keep saving up Mythril now that I have a few things to look forward to.

Also I just realized I have Hope's SSB, and I meant to ask: does it scale off of his Magic of Mind stat? I'm not really sure how holy stuff works with that, since it's typically associated with white magic.

In addition to those listed:

We can expect White Mage and Summon focused nightmare draws in the next few months as well, which will each offer exclusively mage relics for the most part (Beatrix sneaks in on the WhM draw), at the cost of having some dated items in the pool. Still, if your issue is not even having a baseline floornof good stat sticks to work with, it's almost certainly your best bet for a diverse pull.

(Also, Garnet's BSB, Vincent's Shotgun and Edea with Sorceress Crown, plus a support and a healer, is absolutely a solid mage A team. Ideally you replace Vincent with somebody you can draw an en-element B/SSB for, but Edea is a Faithga + Hastega on a mage that can MM+DZ, and the Garnet Burst is perfectly strong enough on a very decent summoner.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

victrix posted:

I'm sitting on a small pile of MC1 lodes and hero souls, what would be a good collection of 65 RWs to gather?

I have Dr Mog/Mako, Battleforged/Ace Striker, so something strong to fill the fifth slot with would be nice, or other good utility RWs that I should be picking up regardless.

I've been using Flower of Trabia for farming which is nice, the double Celerity chance buff on Faris occasionally, and otherwise usually Lionheart for tougher bosses or some random 'significantly increases damage' buff, I think I have one for Fists and one for Bows.

You'll want to start targeting the +20% damage materia.

First off, Ricard's +20% attack (Dragoon's Determination) and Vivi's +20% Mag (Devotion) are uniquely overpowered and haven't been repeated. Both are must grabs, but I'm pretty sure you can get both from realm rewards and then farming for a drop, no lodes needed.

After that, focus on +20%'s for weapon types and schools you use a lot. Decil and Beatrix for swords. Cyan and Sephiroth for Katana. Edgar for Spears. Irvine for Guns. Leila and Locke for daggers. Agrias for Knight. Paine and Celes for Spellblades. Shadow for Ninja. You get the idea. There are more.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

"Significantly increases damage" is +20% on weapons and +30% on skill sets, mostly to balance out that the weapon damage boost happens with everything the character does, including basic attacks and SBs. Some SBs are coded right for the +damage (and/or doublecast) procs to kick in, particularly burst commands, but it's pretty rare, most SBs are NAT or PHY.

Yeah, this is correct. Black/Summon/Spellblade bursts in particular tend to be well behaved in this regard. For others it's often a crapshoot.

Anyway, here's a pretty good list rather than my scattershot off the top of my head list.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4ept28/musthave_record_materia/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Are generic MC3 crystals going to start showing up in most events from now on? I'd really like to get at least one for Luneth's douple XP record, but there's no way in hell I'm beating this U+ undead dragon with level 60-70 characters, no Full Break, bad synergy, and low hones.

Also, is there like a spreadsheet with friend codes or anything? I'd like to clear up my list of people I followed early on and make sure some of the SBs I use most often have more slots.

We'all be getting one per event, so, more or less weekly MC3s.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prav posted:

the catch is that we won't be getting nearly enough eggs to keep up with the crystals.

i got luneth's RM3 but i'm not sure that it was the right decision, it's gonna take an eternity for it to hit breakeven. at the same time, more total exp is more total exp.

The breakeven point at luneths RM is six months of only sundaily. Three months of all dailies.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

This depends on whether you are using it on a solo character or in a group of several others using the 20% chance of double xp RMs.

The assumption is based on full parties. Literally the least friendly circumstance possible.

Zurai posted:

There are also orbfests and event XP dungeons to consider, so it's actually much shorter than that.

Exactly. If you want the RM, just bite the bullet and feed him the eggs ASAP because it's a cost that will eventually earn itself back.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
By the way, folks pulling Vivi's Staff in this draw - gear him out and put it up as your roaming warrior. It's the ideal choice for blasting Meltgemini.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

U and U+ down, those weren't bad at all. Kraken scared me a bit with Ultimate Freeze but after I had magic blink going he went down easily.

Little scared of U++ at the moment, debating who to bring on my team.

Must haves: Vivi (kitted out in full synergy gear that boosts fire, and with an astronomical mag stat for RWing his BSB)
Vaan (BSB to break their mag/def)
Ramza (Full break, medica)
Some kind of wall (I have both)

I'm debating what to do for wall and who to bring for the fifth.

I could bring Y'shtola for Stoneskin II, and then Tyro for Keeper's Tome for additional breaks and magic blink, but that lacks a hastega (since I'm RWing Proof of Existence) so that will result in me going splat.
I could bring Garnet as a second healer with Divine Guardian, which provides a res boost and hastega, but then I lack Keeper's Tome so I have to manually bring shellga and don't have that magic blink safety net.

The best thing I can think of is bringing Garnet as a main healer, then having Tyro spam lifesiphon with Battleforged so he can use wall at the end of the twins phase, then Keeper's Tome on his first turn after they combine??

Also I'm lacking a medica other than Ramza's, which seems...ill advised, but then I'd have to bring Aeris or Relm or something, and I'm already at healer saturation.

Given the tools you have, consider tilting more towards offense, skipping the magic blink, and bringing Y'shtola as healer and Garnet as summoner. If you pour on the damage, Meltgemini is going to waste four turns on scripted attacks, two of which will do zero damage (especially if you time a Garnet SSB properly) before ever doing something truly dangerous.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know how these things work, but does a higher mind make burst mode last longer? Because considering most people are RW-ing BSBs for the attack/defend commands, getting enough mind to do get an extra turn or two out of burst mode may be worth losing a little damage on entry.

No. the only effects that get prolonged by MND are the 'standard' status effects - protect, shell, haste, regen, and debuffs like poison, sleep, sap, silence, etc.

Stat modifiers like burst mode and breakdowns and boostga are unaffected by mind.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lechtansi posted:

ok, i finally picked up 50 mythril and i'm trying to decide if i wanna pull on Elko 1 or not.

I already have Lightbringer and Steiners Sword Break, so those two are going to be dupes for me. I'm pretty set for weapon synergy for FFIX, i just have no armor. Since the only armor on Elko 1 is Kuja's gloves, i shouldn't pull, right? I know Elko's BSSB is hot poo poo but its going to be pretty hot poo poo in order to supplant Y'shtola w/ SSII.

There's also Quina's hairpin.

That said, I probably wouldn't pull on this one if I were you. The only way it's a maybe is if you have Tidus's BSB and intend to go deep for his OSB. If you're not riding that very specific plan, don't chase on this banner.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Armitage posted:

that's the first time that's happened in a long time around here. Play the lottery!

People get 5*'s from the dollar pull here all the time? :confused:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
At a first glance, consider using both wizard rods and Vivi burst RW's. Quina's with needle fork, Beatrix spamming Lifesiphon in P1-> SB/Saints Cross in P2, with Quina doing support things and one slot left for a healer.

In general, Meltman is going to benefit from an overwhelming offense strategy. You want to nuke one of the twins within 5 rounds to prevent their meteors, then kill the second while a Magic Breakdown is casting along with all the holy and fire damage you can muster. If you can get him below 50% HP before his third turn, his script resets. Kill him before his 5th turn, and you'll literally never see his Bio.

It goes like this:

T0: Kill Clowns
T1: AoE Poison (no damage)
T2: Meteor (ignores Res. Hits for ~1500 with proper breakdowns)
At this point, Bio becomes availiable to cast. When his HP goes below 50% though, the following script starts:
T3: AoE Sap (no damage)
T4: Meteor (same as before)

That means if you can unload with SBs/BSBs that hit him as weakness, his feeble HP will melt away and the scripted attacks are v manageable. Especially with a well timed DG refresh.

(Zorn and Thorn are similarly super scripted. They'll hit fairly hard with fire and ice AoE on turn one but then will spend the next few rounds doing weak phys attacks to the party member with the highest HP, giving you plenty of time to top off.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

They didn't, if I'm reading right - they're taking a 3 billion yen loss in damages by closing down these offices. Which is technically worse since they decided this was the more reasonable option.

I mean, that's, what, 30 million dollars?

Severance and continuation of benefits and whatever other obligations they might have to some 300 US employees can easily eat up a significant chunk of that right off the front.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

Do dual-element SB's count towards both Mastery Conditions?

Example:

This Event's Ultimate, Taharka, has two mastery conditions for use Fire and use Wind. If I were to use Fang's SSB which is Fire and Wind damage, would that count as fulfilling both conditions or would I need an alternate source of one of them to cover it? And if so, which one?

No. the one that is listed first counts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

If I can barely squeak by in regular Ultimate fights, should I even attempt any of the Nightmare dungeon stuff? Pretty tempted by all the major orbs and neat accessories, but that's a lot of stamina to spend if I'm just gonna get stomped.

A lot of the nightmare trash fights are much easier than actual ultimates.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AweStriker posted:

Skytank seems to be worse; I am having an awful time trying to get all my mitigation up before it murders someone with Turret Fire.

Equip KO resist accessories and skytank becomes a chump.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
One big caveat about Thief's Revenge: it only really comes into its own for thieves around level ~70-75. (Subtract ten with realm synergy). Prior to that, it's basically a good drain strike and doesn't justify its orbs, so hold off unless you're ready levelwise.

In general, a good 5* priority order is:

1) Hone Full Break to R2
2) Hone Multi-hit elemental skills that you can boost. That means Chain *-ga if you have a Mage with an En-Element B/SSB, Saints Cross if you have any Excalibur/Lightbringer but especially one of the newer ones with Enholy/Imperil like Cecil, Celes, Beatrix, etc.
3) Strong skill combinations that lean into your relics. PC/FC if you have tools for Lightning/Zell/Tidus/Gau/Zack, Dragoon Jump (or wait for Thunder Jump) if you have stuff for Kain/Freya/Fang/etc., Dark Zone for an Edea or Golbez or Kuja or you get the idea.

After that, you get into niche stuff like multibreak, or 'I need a strong skill that lots of mans can use for CMs' reasons to Hone full charge or TR or chaingas, and so on.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shoenin posted:

Hey guys

Guy speak beaver.

That's what she said?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Got Leon's axe and 2 of Maria's bow. That axe Burst seems pretty good against any boss weak to darkness (especially with a built-in drain attack), but the bows are kinda meh at this point I think, unless I'm missing something about it. Is there a reason to keep both of them or should I combine em? I don't think I've used a bow even once so far so I dunno if even a combined one will ever see much use. The magic boost is nice, but I've already got Vincent's shotgun and Edea's crown for that, and they don't stack, right? I'm guessing both of them are better mages than Maria, too, since I never hear anything about her.

They don't stack, but the bow is equivalent to a rod, just has fewer users. Specifically, in terms of black mages or summoners, Echo, Maria, Arc, Ashe and Serah can use it. Yuffie and Thancred can also use it as a top tier ninja magic weapon.

Maria is fine. She has among the highest Mag stats in the game, and her burst is one of the best. But this SB is Just Another second-rate Faithga, so, yeah, mainly useful for Cids Missions and such.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

At the moment your only other options are on Desch or Barret, but Lightning's future BSB2 has an imperil lightning baked in, if memory serves.

Desch is enthunder not imperil. (Unless he has both? Anyway that SB is bad.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

*meteor*
*meteor*
*dead*

Nah he said he has Dreamstage, so it's more like

*meteor*
*dreamstage*
*meteor - miss*
*meteor*
*the boss should be dead by now, honestly*

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My Debuff Lucky Draw gave me Agrias' Kaiser shield. So the SB itself seems pretty decent (Having a Knight with a debuff can be pretty good), but after actually checking the equipment it actually boosts Lightning damage (the element) and can be used by Lightning (the character). I have her SSB and a Lightning boosting sword so that's pretty exciting, unfortunately the only debuff I have for elements is Balthier's Fire SSB so there's not much overlap there.

For element stacking stuff are you eventually looking at:

An elemental Debuff
Elemental buff equipment
Elemental Buff SBs?

Because I have all 3 of those but not for the same element.

Sort of.

The big two are element buff equipment (armor and weapon), and En-element buff SB's, along with multi hit skills that can take advantage of them, all on one character. Lightning with Lightning and her SSB isn't quite there, but her second BSB adds the enlightning to put it over the top. Tidus can do similar things with Water and his BSB and OSB once that comes out. And at this point everyone knows about the sort of hilarity Cecil or Celes can put together.

The elemental debuffs are less important - it's only 20% damage (versus 50-80% for the enelement buff), and of course if the boss is already vulnerable, it's not giving you anything, and if the boss is resistant/immune it's probably not giving you enough damage to justify ignoring that resistance. The big advantage is that attacks against an elemental weakness generate SB gauge faster. That adds up fast. So, for example, that Balthier SSB means that after the first SB cast, Firaga Strike is a better attack than Lifesiphon on an otherwise neutral target. And it means that any mages you have should grab a fire spell rather than an ice spell when choosing arbitrarily for a boss with no weakness or immunity. But if the boss is weak to Thunder, you should probably just load up on that element and ignore the SSB imperil effect. It'll be nice for boosting the damage of chaining the SSB, but won't be as good as just hitting a real weakness.

But in general Imperils are your lowest priority until you start looking at shenanigans like an all Paladin team carrying excaliburs with multiple honed copies of Saint's Cross or whatever. They're nice to have, but don't chase them.

(Of course, some imperil SB's are very very good, independent of being imperil effects. Beatrix comes to mind.)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, what? So even F2Ps who haven't been particularly "lucky" with dupes will get to kiss their wallets goodbye with some actual +++ 8*s?

I mean, I'm glad we get Galuf and Lenna, especially since I've been demanding it for months, but having an essentially free +++ throwing weapon/hat with FFXIII synergy for anyone who's been here a year or longer is huge.

No, everyone who has been playing for a year gets the +++ and two Rosetta Stones.

Literally everybody gets the +++.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

Does combining the pumpkin increase the evasion on it?

We won't know until it drops, but probably not. (The Japanese pumpkin wasn't bugged, so we don't have a comparison.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AstraSage posted:

Draw Report for Larsa 2: (2/11) Platinum Shield and a Off-banner XIV Sword with Shared Self-Boost.

It's the second time I only get Defensive Gear as Something of Note from a XII Banner, and I'm glad I've managed to Reforge both a Hammerhead and a Empyrean Rod or otherwise the Loxley Bow from the Support Lucky Draw would be the only thing I have for Weapon Synergy in that Realm. Now I'll have to save for Vayne and pray this doesn't become a running gag (Both Future Banners have a good amount of armors).

On related news, I managed to beat my First Ultimate without any bullshit tactics (like RW Finishing Touch on Midgar Zolom) aside for an RW'd Dusk's Decree for a score of no medals lost despite a dead Tyro.

Plat Shield is the best offensive item on the whole banner. Combine it with a no-synergy Excalibur and Saints Cross and that's one less slot in your CM party that needs synergy gear for literally every realm except 7/11/13/14 (and most of those will be solved in time).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Bartz can use throwing weapons too, and he's my go-to spellblade, so I actually get a decent amount of use out of synergy throwers for realms where I don't have tons of synergy. :v: I'm nowhere near CM-ready in any realm that isn't V.

I mean, definitely combine it up to 7*/++. But burning the resources to reforge it is... questionable at best.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
:siren: Reminder: Overnight server maintenance starts in an hour. Don't hoard stamina for Tuesdaily, spend it all now. :siren:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm sorry in advance for spamming you with this in multiplayer:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

1st AD posted:

I've been MIA from the game for a couple weeks since I was overseas and couldn't successfully connect to the servers to save my life. Anything on the current banners worth pulling on, or should I wait?

If you have Tidus's Burst (Rasmatazz/Abe's All Star) and especially if you have hat and Quina's golden hairpin, the first FFX banner is really really good. Tidus OSB and BSB and that weapon and the new skills in this event all synergizes magnificently for one of the most potent "everything on one character in a neat little bow" package this side of paladin Cecil Excalibur Funtimes.

Otherwise, there's a lucky draw tonight, then save for Onion Kid or Orlandu

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ashe's BSB commands count as BLK, right? Does that mean they have a chance of triggering twice with Blood of Espers, or should I stick to Devotion instead?

If the command isn't drat close to capping out at 40k damage, devotion is probably better anyway.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SageAcrin posted:

Thing about Sheepsong(as a beginner thing); Hastega+Heavy Regen alone is a pretty solid Soul Break.

So you don't necessarily haaaave to heavily leverage the magic thing(though, it does make going heavily magic early much more attractive), because it's just plain good no matter what.

One thing about Mage teams and beginner hones is that the standard advice in that regard is a bit outdated. You need a bit more of a baseline (you can't cover your lack of protect/shell/breaks with wall, for DU, you still need some way to cover trash), but in the era of VERY GOOD Mage burst RW's, having two mages with synergy weapons and sheepsong means you don't actually need many honed spells of your own for most content.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NGDBSS posted:

If I've managed to collect all extant characters thus far, do I need to care about keeping any more Souls of a Hero? Similarly, do I need to care about keeping any generic MCs when I collect all of the personalized ones?

Only if you foresee yourself taking several weeks off for some reason and missing new intros. And even then, you'll get enough souls to catch up super quickly on returning.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elewem posted:

Pulled Abel's Lance, and was disappointed due to it not being a Sleip Tail and the fact that I left kain in the 30's level wise. Then I read what all it did. I still want a Sleip Tail, but this is a pretty good consolation prize. I read someone mentioning an upcoming new skill called Lightning Drive, though I feel like I'm far from being able to get it, something to look forward too though.

The Rydia whip is mediocre long term. That kain spear is one of the best BSB items in the game. You did good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Necrophobe is a butt.

That said, the solution, as with several of the last few nightmares, was to slow down in P1 to allow the person with the good SB to spam Wrath a few more times.

(In the past that was usually a magic blink on Rosa. In this case it was Wakka for his BSB).

Once I was actually pushing into P2 with a one two punch of Wakka BSB (the full breakdown carries into P2 for some extra damage early on) -> Celes Runic SSB RW, with my buffs up, and had Wakka's gauge charged enough to cast his BSB pretty much every time my rooms were fading (either as an all-clear or to put up 3-4 of them at once, either way worked) and Ramza lifesiphoning up Tailwinds as needed it became very manageable.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I understand wanting to control 6* abilities but goddamn they're just not worth how long it takes to forge one let alone hone it.

I mean, the "how long it takes" is entirely a matter of waiting, and not frustrating repetitive farming, so while they're arguably a let down after the wait, infail to see how "clearing all the content and getting a sometimes very useful skill" isn't really worth it.

I mean, I play the game to play the game and beat as much of it as possible. In doing that, I'm going to get Meltdown and Curada and Snowspell Strike and Northern Cross and I'm gonna use them because they are in fact good and useful skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

Protectga literally is a status effect and will absolutely stack with pure +Def buffs. It even ignores the buff-stacking caps. Or to get technical, pure DEF buffs like from Bartz' Trueblade of Legend is status ID 604, while Protect is the unique ID 207.

Also, Protect is a 100% def buff, so it doubles your defense.

The same is also true of Shell, (and, though it doesn't actually matter Haste).

If it can be cleared by a normal dispel, it will stack with the effects that can't, is an okay way to think of it if you have trouble keeping track. Alternately, just remember that Protect Shell and Haste stack with everything that isn't a second casting of protect shell and haste, and that they "don't count" when determining what the other stat buffs on an effect (the attack on shout, or the +res that is on Echo's SSB along with shell) will stack with.

• Locked thread