Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Refia's Rising Sun and a (third) Blazefire Saber. So that's physical synergy for FF3, which was something I needed, a damage-dealing SSB for a Monk, which I didn't have, and a 7* sword I can reforge further for 13.

Not the world's most exciting pull, but definitely worth 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, I forgot to touch the VII ultimates.

My poor MC3 lode...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It seems weird that we're up to two 6* White Mage skills and there's still no multi-target Cure, even one that spits out really crappy healing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
am I crazy or are we supposed to be getting 25 free mithril before the XII event's out

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

You'll have the mythril to pull on it before the event ends though. Which is more than I can say.

Sup, fellow player being hosed out of an 11-pull on Larsa

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kemix posted:

I honestly worry for us if they decide to make Yizamat a boss.

oh god

break out those 10-honed darkness skills and hang on boys

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, scrapped up enough for another 11-pull on Larsa 1 and got Vaan's BSB, Ashe's SSB, and Fran's SSB. I now have everything on this banner except Ashe's BSB and Balthier's SSB.

I am never getting a Balthier relic, but it's pretty hard to be angry with that pull anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thaddius the Large posted:

Another newbie question, I picked up a Soul of the Hero during this event, should I use that or stockpile? If I do use it, should it be for any particular character, like one of those for whom I've already received a 5* item with a Soul Break attached? I got Tifa's Power Soul with BSB Meteor Crush and Lenna's USB with Princess's Favor in my first 11 pull, so I'd assume one of those two is a priority?

Yes, new players will want to use their Hero Souls and whatever the selectable memory crystal unlocks are on the characters for whom they pull good relics. Get Lenna right now if you don't have another medica (the term the community uses for AE/multitarget heal soul breaks), and Tifa if you do. You'll want to grab both characters ASAP.

Also, the current Keeper's Choice banner 2 (with Ramza's Platinum Sword and Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire) is something you should be rolling on if you don't have Shout or a wall (SG or Yshtola's Stoneskin) already. A white mage with a medica, either of those two effects (wall or haste+boost, with the other provided by your RW), and a few damage-dealers with good SSBs or BSBs is basically the setup you're trying to get rolling for endgame content.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So here's my situation: I'm spoiled for choice.

On a lark pull of the Keeper 2 banner, I finally got the Platinum Sword I spent 300 mithril chasing back in the day. Now I've got wall (SG), Shout (Ramza), and a magic blink medica (Selphie).

For offensive BSBs, I've got -
Physical: Cloud, Bartz, Fang, Sephiroth
Support: Faris, Vaan
Magic: Terra

For other stuff that matters... Lightning, Agrias, Laguna, and Fran SSBs, medicas on Penelo, Yuna, Lenna, Ramza, and Yuffie, Apocalypse Shield on Basch, off the top of my head.

Basically, I think I'm finally at the point where I no longer have a "best party" and instead have the luxury to mix and match a team depending on the specific encounter and what skills are called for. A few teambuilding advice questions...

1) Should I be running native Shout and SG most of the time? If I'm not using Tyro for healing (Selphie) or support (Ramza), what should I be using him for? Should I be RWing content-relevant SSB/BSB/OSBs, should I drop Tyro and be RWing wall, or should I drop Ramza, run Faris, and RW Shout?

2) Do I have the team-comp where it's actually worth honing Tornado Strike? Wind seems to be the best synergy I've got going, with Fang's imperil BSB and Bartz having a wind renzo, so is that the way to go? Should I grab the Oath Veil for this from the Keeper 2 list, or will the defense on that suck too bad to make it useful? Is there any wind synergy gear - either boosting equipment or good SBs - I should be keeping an eye out for in the future?

3) Basically, is there anything else that pops out to you guys that I should be trying to exploit or take advantage of?

I guess I'm looking for guidance on what to hone, and general strategies, noting that I already have the "basics" especially among sub-5* poo poo (3/4* spellblades, Full Break, Saint Cross, Lifesiphons, etc)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SuperHappy posted:

I got Stellar Circle on my Zidane, which seems to be by far the MVP for these fights so far, though I'm looking forward to coordinating parties a little more easily so I can be on a team full of Spellbladers & people with wind SBs. Stellar Circle followed by 3-4 Tornado Strikes, man... :black101:

You and me should be best friends when the real poo poo hits. I've been running a Fang BSB and Bartz (bow) BSB windmurder duet to compensate for all the redundant healing and boosts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well these are extremely inaccurate to the game, his attack is supposed to hit everywhere except where the enemies are standing. :v:

It would've been pretty funny if they'd deliberately made his SSB hit the party with every other hit or something, until I pulled one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

widespread posted:

Or are there useful things in the current banners.

The Onion Knight gloves on the current FF3 banner are meta-defining good if you're willing to get OK to level 99, a lot of people were saving mithril for it, especially people who have poo poo other options for boosts/magic boosts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

I already had Tiny Bee

:munch:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So you had.... 600 mithril?

How the hell do you guys save so much between major banners

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lucky Draw: Lightning, Locke, and a duplicate Cloud sword.

Nothing lifechanging for me since I already have like four physical attacker BSBs, but I like Lightning and Locke and I now have a mean beatstick for a realm with a lot of content (which I'm fine combining bc I also have Hardedge and Organics; the game loves giving me Cloud weapons).

Also, I gotta say, FFRK has been very good about giving freebies, bonus draws, etc. Moreso than any other gacha game I've ever played in the US.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Dragoon skills are fine, though with that team comp you may as well just spam Lifesiphon on her to keep Imperil Wind up 100% of the time and keep cranking out wind renzos, which she's as good at as anyone else.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tifa... I can't figure out. Like literally no skills other than combat and Monk. I guess monks are getting better skills now at least. Her burst is a standard 4hit/2hit aoe... Of earth damage? And she boosts earth? That new monk skill that does earth doesn't stack with shout either.

I mean, there's not a lot of science to how you use someone with Combat 4+ and a BSB that imperils its own element: charge your SB by Lifesiphon or by crook and spam spam spam

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll probably have enough mythril for another 11 pull on Onion Knight, but I'm debating whether to pull on 1 or 2. I already got the Onion Sword from banner 1, and I don't feel like I'm lucky enough to get the Gauntlets. Plus, it'd be neat to have the Eternal Staff too so OK could fill a magic role too, and apparently Refia's BSB is really good. On the other hand, everyone is saying that there's a lot of bad relics on 2? I'd hate to get stuck with something lousy.

How big of a boon would OK BSB be (i.e. do you already have both a physical and magic boostga of some kind) and what's your III synergy like? If the answer is "nice but not vital" and "I'm okay with it", at least, I'd just save the mithril for future banners, especially OSBfest.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Setzer is also broken af, combining the Offering with Dice/Fixed Dice and also Slot once you understand how it works and how to rig it

FF6 rules

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SageAcrin posted:

So I make a joking crack about how this EXP sack dragon had a dark aura around it and seemed kinda weird.

Then Red Dragon Ultimate dropped an Onion Mote for me.

Dang, wonder what the drop rate on him is like; I may farm the rest of my Onion Motes there if it's really high, bc I absolutely trashed him harder than I have an Ultimate in a long time (I blame the abundance of Moderate+ fire resist accessories and my luck with non-elemental SBs I guess)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I would be alright with Cagnazzo if he didn't have stupid aoe sleep and slow along with all his other bullshit. This fight is terrible and would totally pass as a U++ these days.

It's making me realize just how bad my FF4 synergy is, with the caveat that I totally cleared the FF4 event that just ended. I don't have a single native 5* melee weapon for FF4, only Rosa's Medica bow and Tellah's first staff.

I should go ham on the next 4 banner if I don't pull a Cecil sword or something during the OSBfest.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are there any BSBs I can lean on besides Sephiroth? Here are all the characters I have that are 80+:

In general, you have a really good set of wind-elemental BSBs. Fang and Zidane both deal a ton of wind damage and Imperil Wind, and Fang and Butts both have wind renzos as burst commands.

Also re: Cagnazzo yeah fuuuuck the RNG of 3/4 fiends, these are some of my least favorite bosses in the game because their gimmicks are so utterly unpredictable

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was considering rolling on the Lucky Draw bc my FF4 synergy, especially physical, is so lean... but drat, that really is kind of a poo poo banner. I already have Lightning's BSB and a 6* Fusion Sword, too. And an Odin whip.

Second time I've ever passed on a Lucky Draw. I'd really love a Cecil sword, if RNJesus is taking notes for the festival.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Munoma posted:

Yuna is so mediocre though I don't have a relic for her..... :eng99:

I'm bummed by Yuna because Hymn of the Fayth is really showing its age but she's my favorite white mage character in the series. :(

Goddamn the Tiny Bee for being what it is instead of a proper healer BSB I can fish for.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Do you ever start accumulating MC3s faster/more easily? I missed the first few because I was too scared/lazy to finish the Ultimates and whereas I have 100% of every MC1 and MC2 they're releasing 3s faster than I'm getting them by far.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ifrit really is still an unholy motherfucker, especially with mediocre 8 synergy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I'm down for Chrono Trigger just bc it'd be a pretty easy realm to create at least seven useful characters for, some of whom could be pretty interesting or unique.

It beats the poo poo out of watching them try to come up with a niche for FF6 Cid or good SBs for Dr. Tot.

Bikke and Matoya would've both been cool for FF1, and filled niches (Thief/Support 5 and Black magic) for that game that are empty if you pretend Wol and Echo don't exist, as I have.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly dual-techs would be cool but I sincerely doubt they'd make them worth the trouble/opportunity cost of losing realm synergy to (for ex) always run Frog and Crono because you got a specific relic. And if they were, the entire meta would start revolving around Chrono Trigger.

I'm fine with them just being among the unique SB animations for characters. Like Volt Bite for Ayla or the elemental sword techs for Crono would be really logical BSBs.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a single SSB, BSB, or physical sword/dagger for IX or XIV and 2 BSBs apiece and an 8* sword in both VI and XIII

I know what I'm pullin!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

So uh, I know that generally all bursts are good but how good are these two?

Fang's is great if you have any other wind synergy, multihit SBs or skills that deal wind damage or gear that boosts wind damage, since it's a wind imperil with two wind damage commands (4x st and 2x mt). Since it deals AE damage and has an AE command, it'll eat multi-target bosses alive combined with Tornado Strike on a spellsword.

Locke's is peculiar, but it seems really nice to be able to synergize with either fire or holy teams, since both are solid types to build a party around/have a lot of viable relics.

EDIT: Ahahaha I was loving right, 2x 5* and neither of them was IX or XIV, realms I literally have no physical synergy 5* for. Still, a Shadow SSB and a Serah BSB for 25 mithril's hard to get upset about.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 6, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I didn't realize Shadow's SSB knife had so much Mag on it. And it's a dagger. That's a pretty neat stat stick for anybody who can use Ninja.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

People are really bad at multiplayer and I'm really glad I have a decked out level 99 Onion Knight, because Ramza and OK are basically dealing out steady DPS, healing, Full Break, AND running Protect since none of the 2 healers brought any mitigation.

I have no idea how and why this happens but if I don't bring Shellga or Protega nobody else ever does, even if all of them bring a white mage.

Like, I almost never run a white mage with anything BUT Curaja and one of the two. Why the hell wouldn't you? They massively reduce the damage your whole party takes, last longest from someone with high MND, and have the least opportunity cost on your healer because one heal will last through an entire fight and anything else they can do another character is better at.

The only other thing I've ever brought on a healer was Carbuncle, which if you think about it is really just a third different version for very specific encounters.

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pichupal posted:

I was even considering FFXV but when your name is Ignis you're not getting Water as your element.

Lunafreya, if she's not the 15 healer or maybe even if she is?

15 spoilers: A Leviathan SSB/BSB would kinda make sense for her

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pichupal posted:

It makes me wonder whether FFXV will launch with just the main four, or whether they'll stick Luna with them too. I sort of want Iris to show up eventually too, if only so they can make a character who can borrow Lulu's Dolls.

There's honestly a huge pool of characters for it. The Four Bros, Luna, Iris, Aranea, Ravus, Ardyn, Cor...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

On the other hand, there's the times when I get my head kicked in by something supposedly easy and then finding out it just wanted to give me a hard time.

[ASK] me about Ultimate Rufus's Mako Cannon

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man what is the deal with endgame battles where you have to S/L five times to get through the first round without somebody being instantly gibbed by multiple attacks that do 90% of their max HP at level 80-99 with synergy armor

Why do they keep doing this and why do I keep playing it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

wizard on a water slide posted:

Why do they keep doing this and why do I keep playing it

This was about the Ultimate and now that I've had a run where I actually get to set up without someone dying on phase 1 I hate it even more

Final Fantasy RNG Keeper FTW

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Man, everyone seems to be pulling raw octane from this banner. I'm getting more tempted by the minute...

I got Rikku's SSB and Zack's SSB and feel a little remorse, but it's probably only because I don't give a poo poo about Zack and already have like four FF7 swords.

It's probably close to the worst 5* I could've possibly pulled.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beasteh posted:

How the gently caress does everyone 100 gem 5* all the time, my overall rate is like 4.5% and I do it on every banner :argh:

They're stealin your luck, the drop rate is supposed to be 12.5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Atomos is honestly the easiest Nightmare by far. The only celling is a DPS check - you just have to burn down about 280k+ health in the time for a 50 SPD boss (who can be Slowed) to take nine turns.

The bosses in the run up to him are surprisingly no joke if you lack synergies, though. Nightmare run-up bosses have gotten significantly tougher since the first set.

And yeah don't be shy about stacking more lightning damage than that for Guardian. Having three people with skills means you can drop his barrier in one round instead of two, and it's a great source of damage anyway. If you're running a mage, definitely bring the "spells have a chance to fire twice" RMs; procs count as two hits unlike stuff like multi-hit SBs.

Baku fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 13, 2016

• Locked thread