Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
My printed post history, my printed rapsheet, and the book that I use to keep my table balanced.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

1. National Treasure: Book of Secrets
2. The Book of Life
3. The Secret of Kells (the hardcover novelization of the motion picture about the hardcover book)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

also star bastards, one of the best books ever written

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

also star bastards, one of the best books ever written

i'll change my rapsheet for this

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Snowcrash
Blood Meridian
Altered Carbon

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah

You actually really should be

Why don't you read Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. It's custom made to cure Fantasy / Sci-Fi readers of their illness.

I think I'll re-read "Guards! Guards!" again, instead.

There's a dragon in it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.H posted:

The "size and shape of a book" rule makes my War and Peace choice moot, but I see your point. Let's settle for stuff that have been published as single books, unless it was published by parts but intended to be a single book, like they used to do in printed magazines.

I'd counter your Hemingway with a Borges collection, probably Ficciones.

If collections count I might replace my choices with Ficciones and Nabokov's short stories.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i like of mice and men and the brothers karamazov equally but I shall choose to have of mice and men because size and complexity has no bearing on choosing three books for life

actually goon opinions itt

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Well, I'm fifteen IRL and haven't read anything outside of lovely YA series, but I have heard that Blood Meridian is a super cool in violent book, so I say its my favorite. Also the Hobbit because I've seen the movie, so I might as well have read the book.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
1. something awful front page
2. the bible
3. the current draft of my suicide note

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 10, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

weak wrists big dick posted:

Also the Hobbit because I've seen the movie, so I might as well have read the book.

This is astonishingly loving wrong

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Heath posted:

This is astonishingly loving wrong

you tell im butch

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
What about compilation sorts of books that are published? (short stories but especially poetry since I feel like its one of the most re-readable forms of writing) Because I'd go

1) Anathem (Neil Stephenson) This is the book I read slowly to ruminate over it and get a different outlook each time

2) The Robert Frost Collection for mulling over poetry

3) Gravity's Rainbow since god knows how many times i'll need to read it to really get everything in there.

(Assuming can't pick poetry collection then probably something cozy like the hobbit to idle away with)

Weird but slightly against the spirit of the thread pick:The Oxford English Etymology Dictionary since each word is its own story in a way and it'd be helpful in life more so than most books

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Candide by Voltaire

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

And probably something I can jerk it to. Delta of Venus or something similar idk

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Howl's Moving Castle, Parasite Rex, and How the Grinch stole Christmas

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Rush Limbo posted:

Candide by Voltaire

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

And probably something I can jerk it to. Delta of Venus or something similar idk

candide freaking owns bones

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Finnegans Wake, 1066 And All That, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs :unsmith:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Battle Royale (I've probably had like 6 copies of this book thru my life)
Lord of the Flies (read it like 16 times so far? I keep a tally on the cover of my softcover)
House of leaves

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
American Psycho, The Vampire Lestat, Into Thin Air

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

RideTheSpiral posted:

candide freaking owns bones

It's probably my favourite book of all time and the gold standard by which satire should be compared to.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Well, I'm fifteen IRL and haven't read anything outside of lovely YA series, but I have heard that Blood Meridian is a super cool in violent book, so I say its my favorite. Also the Hobbit because I've seen the movie, so I might as well have read the book.

Do you dislike Blood Meridian or dislike the people you imagine enjoying it? :confused:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Rush Limbo posted:

It's probably my favourite book of all time and the gold standard by which satire should be compared to.

i didnt expect to be lmao at an 18th century satire but there i was

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I am currently re-reading Theodor Mommsen's "History of Rome", so that should count. I frequently re-read passages or chapters in it, because I am utterly fascinated not only by the academic work that went into it, but also by Mommsen's mid-19th century patriotic and liberal worldview. He judges everything and everyone, but I don't think Mommsen himself would have been aware that he is merely reproducing contemporary ideology. He would simply assume that his opinions spring from common sense.

Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow", because everytime I read it, I focused on different things, so it felt like I was reading a different book. Sometimes I completely drift of when reading it, and instead of reading the actual content, I am just spellbound by the musical and lyrical qualities of his prose. In that aspect, Gravity's Rainbow is like a jazz album.

When I was a teenager, I was a huge fan of Ray Bradbury. I think "Something Wicked This Way Comes" should make the list, too, because it is probably the book I read more often than any other. (Haven't read it in a while, though, just like I haven't watched the final sequence of "Quadrophenia" over and over and over again in a while).

edit: I only now realized that I am supposed to read them for the rest of my life. I will stick to the first two, then, and remove "Something Wicked".

Does a compilation of Plato's dialogues count as one book? In that case, I would take that one, since the dialogues are a perfect blend of humor, wit and insight. To this day I wonder what the monks who transcribed the "Symposium", which is largely about physical excess and gay sex, were thinking.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 10, 2016

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ibogaine posted:

I am currently re-reading Theodor Mommsen's "History of Rome", so that should count. I frequently re-read passages or chapters in it, because I am utterly fascinated not only by the academic work that went into it, but also by Mommsen's mid-19th century patriotic and liberal worldview. He judges everything and everyone, but I don't think Mommsen himself would have been aware that he is merely reproducing contemporary ideology. He would simply assume that his opinions spring from common sense.

Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow", because everytime I read it, I focused on different things, so it felt like I was reading a different book. Sometimes I completely drift of when reading it, and instead of reading the actual content, I am just spellbound by the musical and lyrical qualities of his prose. In that aspect, Gravity's Rainbow is like a jazz album.

When I was a teenager, I was a huge fan of Ray Bradbury. I think "Something Wicked This Way Comes" should make the list, too, because it is probably the book I read more often than any other. (Haven't read it in a while, though, just like I haven't watched the final sequence of "Quadrophenia" over and over and over again in a while).

I'm 60 pages into Fahrenheit 451 and it so far it is quite dull and derivative. Also there is so little descriptive prose that I have no idea what this world is supposed to look like

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
When I was a teenager, Bradbury struck a note with me. And personally, I don't think that Fahrenheit 451 is his best book. But when you are an isolated teen nerd who loves books and who's growing up around people who never read anything but TV guides and who watch stupid poo poo on TV all the time, it reads like a revelation, believe me you!

I think "Something Wicked" is much more imaginative and especially his short stories, like those in the illustrated man or the Martian chronicles, are often unique and quite spellbinding, I think.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

I'm 60 pages into Fahrenheit 451 and it so far it is quite dull and derivative. Also there is so little descriptive prose that I have no idea what this world is supposed to look like

Yeah I didn't enjoy that book at all. It was dull and the main idea really doesn't encourage you to muddle through.

People talk about like it's got something important to say about censorship, but it really doesn't. Mostly because it was never meant to be about censorship. He didn't write it for that, and it shows. It's some kind of big slam on "vapid" new forms of media coupled with some gushing nonsense about the Magic Of Reading that sounds pretty weird when it's not coming from the Reading Rainbow guy.

Also, as a devoted sci-fi/fantasy fan I'll be the first to say that a sci-fi/fantasy author has exactly no business trying to call out other forms of entertainment as vapid and shallow.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ibogaine posted:

When I was a teenager, Bradbury struck a note with me. And personally, I don't think that Fahrenheit 451 is his best book. But when you are an isolated teen nerd who loves books and who's growing up around people who never read anything but TV guides and who watch stupid poo poo on TV all the time, it reads like a revelation, believe me you!

I think "Something Wicked" is much more imaginative and especially his short stories, like those in the illustrated man or the Martian chronicles, are often unique and quite spellbinding, I think.

I don't dislike it. it's quite pleasant to read but what's the point. i will try those others if I see them around. i have a very love hate relationship with american literature and this is very american.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
The fountainhead
Anthem
Atlas shrugged

*tips fedora*

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Tarnsman of Gor - good for beating off

The Return of the King - lets you skip all the boring travel stuff and just get down to the good guys winning

Mein Kampf - self-explanatory

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
Didn't like Something Wicked This Way Comes. It leans hard on the magic of childhood friendship, and how these kids appreciate its timeless wonders. To me, that rings false in terms of how much wizened introspection children really have, and how kids make friendships, and also it's really sappy and sentimental.

Meanwhile, the fantasy/horror aspect is surprisingly thin. For a book all about a magic carnival, there isn't actually that much development of the carnival itself. Various attractions pop up and then kinda float away without really affecting the story.

Fahrenheit 451 was good, though. Beatty was a good character, and even if Bradbury's social criticism is a little off target, he still has a clear enough message to use as the spine of his book. Someone immersing themselves in voyeuristic media, using pills to cope, sliding toward suicide while in denial about how unfulfilling their life has become — that's solid.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Moby-Dick

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson

Malcolm C. Lyons's translations of the One Thousand and One Nights

would probably hold me over for all time

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Zorodius posted:

Do you dislike Blood Meridian or dislike the people you imagine enjoying it? :confused:

I read it in a "higher level"/"accelerated" high school class in Texas, but everyone (including me, at the time) was more interested in reading about the tree of dead babies over and over again.

In all honesty, the books I reread the most are Ender's Game (I have an older copy that I reread once about every 3 years, I refuse to read any of the guys other stuff after reading the rest of the Enders Game books, which I hated.), Prometheus Rising, and Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah.

Also, I may not reread it that much, but the Hitchhikers Guide series is a definite must read.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

shove me like you do posted:

Weird but slightly against the spirit of the thread pick:The Oxford English Etymology Dictionary since each word is its own story in a way and it'd be helpful in life more so than most books

The OED is precisely like Wikipedia and therefore against the rules. For the record, if I could I'd have picked it, too.

I like the Brother's Karamazov as a book-for-life. It really gives you something new to think about with every re-read.

Also, I may not reread it that much, but the Hitchhikers Guide series is a definite must read.

My Douglas Adams phase is long gone, but I think the Dirk Gently series is better.

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

1. Catch-22, for something a bit fluffier.
2. Remembrance of Things Past, because at 30 I might actually get something out of it this time.
3. Reamde, because it's huge and awesome.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Catch-22 is actually a very profound novel, much more so than similar anti-war books like "All Quiet on the Western Front" or "Slaughterhouse V".

The last one will probably get me a lot of flak from goons, but it's true. Vonnegut is the type of writer that is a must read before you're 20, and becomes exponentially less so the later in life you read your first book of his.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Incidentally, I also agree with anyone naming Dostoyesvky, Tolstoi or Chekhov. (Though with Chekhov, you would have to go for a compilation of short prose, I guess).

I just wondered: Is there any specific reason that in the 19th century, Russian literature reached such an incredible high? Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I don't know any Russian literature before the above mentioned, so for me it is as if all of a sudden, this great literature suddenly sprang into existence out of nothing.

I find that quite remarkable, yet I can not come up with an explanation. It`s even weirder when you consider that intellectuals made up a significantly smaller part of the population than they did in other European countries at the time. If anyone could point me to an explanation or a book on the subject, I would be genuinely grateful.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Slaughterhouse 5 is merely decent as an anti-war book, but it's quite good as a dealing-with-PTSD story.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Cat's Cradle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Must've read mother night half a dozen times

• Locked thread