Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Descend to slumber posted:

What is with all the love for Kafka on the Shore? I read some Murakami short stories and liked them, then I read KotS and pretty much stopped reading Murakami thereafter. What did I miss or fail to understand that made that book so good?

My 3:

The Adult short stories of Roald Dahl
These are all delightfully hosed up and weird and can be enjoyed multiple times. Even if rereading doesn't add much they remain amusing and grotesque, like the literary version of trash TV.

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski
The typesetting makes the book in a lot of ways and it takes a long time to puzzle through the complex maze created by it, which of course mirrors the labyrinth that is the focus of the story.

Nostromo - Joseph Conrad
I have struggled with this one many times and failed to finish it, but I want to so badly. If I was going to be trapped on a desert island I would bring this book just so that I could drat well finish it!

I didn't like Kafka on the Shore. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I don't re-read books very often because there are at least a hundred on my shelves I haven't gotten around to yet, but these are exceptions:

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Grimhaven (and/ or Sideswipe) - Charles Willeford

United States - Gore Vidal

Gargantua and Pantagruel - Francois Rabelais

I've also read Candide a bunch of times. It's short, hilarious, and pretty much perfect. Same with The Epic of Gilgamesh, now that I think about it. And the Book of Ecclesiastes.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is undoubtedly a great work. It's interesting to note how different the prose (?) style is from what we're used to.

Ecclesiastes is definitely in my top 3 Bible books.
Another book from that list would be Samuel. I advise everyone to read it, it's like an account of early Roman Empire intrigue, but with God as the main character.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

H.H posted:

The Epic of Gilgamesh is undoubtedly a great work. It's interesting to note how different the prose (?) style is from what we're used to.

Ecclesiastes is definitely in my top 3 Bible books.
Another book from that list would be Samuel. I advise everyone to read it, it's like an account of early Roman Empire intrigue, but with God as the main character.

samuel rules

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Windows 95 for Dummies

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Windows 95 for Dummies

Windows 98 for Moderators

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

H.H posted:

Windows 98 for Moderators

lol i bet he still keeps that book next to his bed

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Descend to slumber posted:

What is with all the love for Kafka on the Shore? I read some Murakami short stories and liked them, then I read KotS and pretty much stopped reading Murakami thereafter. What did I miss or fail to understand that made that book so good?

I don't think it's a great book or anything but I do think that

a) You can transition from a history of reading fantasy and scifi garbage directly to KotS and like it

b) Once you do that you should be cured of being able to read fantasy and scifi without seeing how it's utter poo poo with maybe just a few relapses in the ensuing years, and this is a fundamental good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

I have to admit, a lot of Stephen King's stuff, mostly before the accident, is eminently re-readable.

Stephen King is actually well respected for his short stories. All of his longer novels are real garbo though.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Stephen King is actually well respected for his short stories.

well he shouldn't be!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I would pick Infinite Jest, a printout of every thread on the SA forums in a ring binder, and a book called "how to twerk".

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
"I can't believe I'm reading this thing again!" - me, reading "how to twerk" again

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I'm changing my vote to Infinite Jest, the Ring binder full of SA threads and a book called "How to Twerk, again."

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Where's Wally in Hollywood
The Vagina Monologues

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can't imagine being stuck on a desert island or whatever with Lord of the Rings because that would mean having to spend that time with Tom Bombadil, which is unacceptable.

E: Gargantua and Pantagruel is a good choice. Props to that goon.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I am going to return from that island a twerk master.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm going to assume that you mean fiction only; if I could no longer read non-fiction books my life would be over personally and professionally so I would need to die. Anyway, so for fiction:

Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)
Inferno (Dante)
Pride & Prejudice (Austen)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Minimalist Program posted:

I'm changing my vote to Infinite Jest, the Ring binder full of SA threads and a book called "How to Twerk, again."

Same, but Infinite Jest three times

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

Same, but Infinite Jest three times

Same but I'm actually changing mine to "How to Twerk", "How to Twerk, again" and "Learn to Twerk".

khy
Aug 15, 2005

They are "Redwall", "The Color of her Panties", and "Twilight".

I've read each of them once a day, every single day, since 2006.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pick posted:

I'm going to assume that you mean fiction only; if I could no longer read non-fiction books my life would be over personally and professionally so I would need to die. Anyway, so for fiction:

Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)
Inferno (Dante)

Pick, you're kind of annoying a lot of the time, but these are Good Books. :cheers:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't like to reread big thick books but I like to reread shorter action packed books sometimes

The Hunter by Richard Stark
The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
1 - The Complete Sherlock Holmes vol. 1. - The most satisfying collection of novellas & stories ever, Ever

2 - Blood Meridian - hard to get through the first time, multiple reads reveal substantial new & horrific perspectives

3 - Storm of Swords - the best high fantasy novel ever written, Tolkien wept

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Pick posted:

Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)
Inferno (Dante)

I actually meant non-fiction as well, so go ahead.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Supreme Allah posted:

2 - Blood Meridian - hard to get through the first time, multiple reads reveal substantial new & horrific perspectives

The only reason I haven't read this several times is because I lent it to a friend in college and he still has it as far as I know.

quote:

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Journey to the End of the Night
Borges' Collected Fictions (or just Ficciones if that doesn't count)
Book of the New Sun

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Sex Falcon posted:

Book of the New Sun

Botns deserves all the credit it gets. They are basically written to be read at the very least 3 times.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The idiot, Johnathan strange and Mr norrell, book of the new sun if I'm allowed to count that since I own it as one compiled book

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The koran, the koran, and python for dummies

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jimlit posted:

Botns deserves all the credit it gets. They are basically written to be read at the very least 3 times.

It's quite excellent, but do you include the 5th book as well? I just have them all in random editions--is there an omnibus with all 5?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's quite excellent, but do you include the 5th book as well? I just have them all in random editions--is there an omnibus with all 5?

You mean Urth of the new sun? I personally see that as more of its own thing. The first four books are the ones I read over and over.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Sex Falcon posted:

Book of the New Sun

I tried reading the first one and I just didn't get it. It meandered around showing me a world that wasn't too interesting and then some dudes hit each other with flowers. What was I missing?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jimlit posted:

You mean Urth of the new sun? I personally see that as more of its own thing. The first four books are the ones I read over and over.

Interesting, I thought Urth--especially the last 2/3rds or so--threw the other books into perspective. I should reread the whole series again.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Dregs posted:

I tried reading the first one and I just didn't get it. It meandered around showing me a world that wasn't too interesting and then some dudes hit each other with flowers. What was I missing?

I fell in love with the writing style:

"I have found always that the pattern of our guild is repeated [...] in the societies of every trade, so that they are all of them torturers, just as we. His quarry stands to the hunter as our clients to us; those who buy to the tradesman; the enemies of the Commonwealth to the soldier; the governed to the governors; men to women. All love what they destroy."

"There is no category of human activity in which the dead do not outnumber the living many times over. Most beautiful children are dead. Most soldiers, most cowards. The fairest women and the most learned men—all are dead. Their bodies repose in caskets, in sarcophagi, beneath arches of rude stone, everywhere under the earth. Their spirits haunt our minds, ears pressed to the bones of our foreheads. Who can say how intently they listen as we speak, or for what word?"

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2016

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The Dregs posted:

The writing style as mentioned is beautiful but also a lot isn't quite as it seems at face value when reading for the first time/not paying enough attention and trying to figure out the reality along with what you misunderstood vs what was misrepresented intentionally by the narrator vs what was misrepresented due to the narrator's lack of understanding is fun and rewarding.
The world is also pretty interesting, to me anyways.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'd pick 3 RL Stein choose your own adventure goosebumps books cause you can do all the permutations of the adventures and it's like having more than 3 :downs:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

weak wrists big dick posted:

Well, I'm fifteen IRL and haven't read anything outside of lovely YA series, but I have heard that Blood Meridian is a super cool in violent book, so I say its my favorite. Also the Hobbit because I've seen the movie, so I might as well have read the book.

good username haha apparently 15 yo humor is right up my alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

thathonkey posted:

i'd pick 3 RL Stein choose your own adventure goosebumps books cause you can do all the permutations of the adventures and it's like having more than 3 :downs:

If you pet the dog, turn to page 62... ok, yes...

... No! turn back, turn back!

• Locked thread