Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Recently I noticed a funny thing about books, which is that they're usually written by one person. Sometimes they're written by two people. After that, though, relatively few, if any, books are written by 3-10 people. Then there are books called "anthologies" that are written by lots of people, but those don't count because the people didn't write them for the book, they wrote them and then one person, or maybe two, put things they wrote together to make a new book, which is CHEATING.

What I want to do is not CHEATING. It is an exciting new innovation in books, which is to write a book with the people who post in this forum. If we each write a piece of the book, it will go faster, and we will have a complete book sooner than you think. This is not CHEATING it is GENIUS.

I am thinking that we will fill the book with words, which is usually what books are full of. If it goes well, maybe we will fill some pages with pictures. It is not CHEATING if you only put pictures on some of the pages, as long as it is not too many of them.

If you would like to write part of the book, let me know here, by posting in this thread. The number of people who write the book will determine how the book will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I should clarify that I will be in charge of the book. I will guide the overall structure of the book, and I will edit the book. These are the boring parts of writing, so you are glad that I am doing them. You rejoice.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i would like to participate in this book writing but i am worried that we may end up copying some other books storyline, theme or tone which i believe is a form of cheating. is there any way to guarantee that we will not write a book that could be compared to any existing books and/or copyrighted material?

City of Glompton

I will write whatever you want, I don't care if it's cheating because I'm not getting graded on this (am I? )

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
p sure everything everywhere gets graded these days

Android Blues

if we each write 5,000 words the BYOBook can be a novella with only 12 posters. i'm pleased to announce that my chapter will be about Death

MrWillsauce

can I do a sex scene

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

i would like to participate in this book writing but i am worried that we may end up copying some other books storyline, theme or tone which i believe is a form of cheating. is there any way to guarantee that we will not write a book that could be compared to any existing books and/or copyrighted material?

You have to write the words yourself. They can't be the words other people have written. Other than that, I assure you, I will make sure the book is incomparable.

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

misty mountaintop posted:

I should clarify that I will be in charge of the book. I will guide the overall structure of the book, and I will edit the book. These are the boring parts of writing, so you are glad that I am doing them. You rejoice.

I rejoice! I also wish to participate.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I would like to participate, I have a lot of unique ideas about someone who works with computers who everyone thinks is a dork but is actually super smart and cool inside and none of them should have ever underestimated me!!!!!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

MrWillsauce posted:

can I do a sex scene

You can do whatever you want, but I might edit it out. Or save it for later :wink:

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
People who have currently said they will write the book.

Luvcow
City of Glompton
Android Blues
Mr Willsauce
Splatmaster
Food Court Bailiff
misty mountaintop

We will each have to write about 10,000 words (around 20 pages typed), with this many people, to produce a book.

----------------

City of Glompton

i really hope more people participate, I haven't written 20 pages on one topic for many years and I don't think you'll appreciate me using size 20 Courier to meet my quota...

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Manifisto

"I will write a Piece," he said, "though I do not know the way."

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

I will join as long as I get to watch the fistfight over who writes the ending

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm assuming we just submit our parts and the OP edits and puts them all together

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

I'm assuming we just submit our parts and the OP edits and puts them all together

This is correct. I call this method AUTH-O-VENTION.

----------------

the unabonger
I am in

Fredflonston

I am willing. While ejected from the GBS diaspora of 2016 I have sought and found my place among you all as a lost cub finds it's way to a group of v chill campers from the university.

joke_explainer

I'll write some words for you misty!

joke_explainer

will you be detailing the outline and the characters beforehand? any brainstorming on the characters? have you decided on the genre, bookmaster mountaintop?

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
Can I write like one page ?

----------------

joke_explainer

Takane posted:

Can I write like one page ?

i guess that'd be doable on misty's target if we had like 140 signups!

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I totally wanna write the middle, can I do that??

social vegan

i am byob poster rl stine childbook man and I would like to bein the book as a writer of word and

MrWillsauce

can I go ahead and start writing about whatever?

Doghouse

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'm in. I can finally put my English degree to good use!!

Piso Mojado

ill write a book

Rockman Reserve

i wrote a book, it wasn't good but i sold enough copies on amazon to buy a pizza, which was my end goal all along

MrWillsauce

food court bailiff posted:

i wrote a book, it wasn't good but i sold enough copies on amazon to buy a pizza, which was my end goal all along

how was the pizza

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I'm in - also now we have a book to read for the book club

Rockman Reserve

MrWillsauce posted:

how was the pizza

the pizza was good but not like write-for-days-and-actually-navigate-amazon-publishing good

would not recommend

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Luvcow
City of Glompton
Android Blues
Mr Willsauce
Splatmaster
Food Court Bailiff
misty mountaintop
super mario batali
Piso Mojado
Doghouse
social vegan
Ahundredbux
Takane
joke_explainer
FredFlonston
i flunked out

Ok! That's good, that seems like enough people.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

will you be detailing the outline and the characters beforehand? any brainstorming on the characters? have you decided on the genre, bookmaster mountaintop?

Yes, more details to follow, in a different thread. I'm locking this one now, with all of your souls trapped in it. I will never release them until you write your portion of the book!

----------------

• Locked thread