Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

From the moment Twinkie is introduced, everything in the Fast and Furious franchise is imaginary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

tie-dye my titties posted:

Yeah but was he circumcised? What does the wiki say about that?

I can personally confirm that none of the main characters in Fast and Furious are circumcised except for Letty

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Can we do a physics analysis of the cars jumping between skyscrapers from Furious 7 please?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

DeusExMachinima posted:

So,

L = (1/2) .002308 x 7,744 x 1,124.55 x .18

L equals 1,808.93. As a general rule of thumb to allow flight for more than a few feet, L must equal the aircraft's weight in pounds. The Hypersport weighs 3,042 lbs. Looks like Dom ends up as a smashed bug at the bottom of a 1,000 foot tower. :(

I appreciate this, however in the movie the car doesn't really lift off like a plane or anything, it just jumps between two buildings, falling a few floors on the way.

I think this will help you guys understand the problem better:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I'm going to try to think back to HS physics class.

Distance between towers: 50m (we need to jump this far)
Drop in floors between towers: 5? (we drop ~15m)

Car jump info!!
initial horizontal velocity: 26.822 meters/second
horizontal velocity: 0 m/s
initial vertical velocity: 0 m/s
vertical velocity -9.8 m/s/s
height y: 15m (drop from 1 tower to the next)
distance traveled for the jump x: ????

using the kinematic equations we should first determine the time of flight

-15m = (0 m/s) * t + 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = -4.9 m/s/s * t^2
3.06122 s^2 = t^2
total flight time t = 1.75 seconds

Now we can determine the distance traveled x

x = 26.822 m/s * 1.75 s + 0.5*(0 m/s/s) * 1.75 s ^2
total distanct traveled x = 48.47 m

SO, even if you don't account for the loss of speed breaking through the window and air resistance, the car would fall just short of the other tower and Dom would fall to a fiery death. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Viruswithshoes posted:

What speed in MPH would the car have to be going to make the jump? Assuming the smashing glass doesn't significantly decelerate the car?

About 64mph, which I guess is doable. However, if we were to say the drop is less than 5 floors, then the car would have to be going much faster.

• Locked thread