Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I just watched this film for the first time and it was clear to me about halfway through that Twinkie doesn’t actually exist.

My first clue is how out of place he is: an inner-city style thuggish stereotype who hustles goods, wears braids/do rags, and American sports attire, attending a Tokyo highschool. It immediately raised a lot of questions; how did he get there? Why is he like this? Who are his parents? Where is all his money coming from?? How long has he been in Japan? He obviously wasn’t an exchange student, he’s far too well established among the racing crowd and as a mechanic to have only been there for a few months. And he couldn’t have gotten there on his own, he’s a minor. The rest of the movie I waited for some back story or explanation of who Twink was, after all it came for all the other characters (including Neela who was an even less important character) so why not him?

In addition, I noticed that none of the information Twink gives Sean is anything he necessarily wouldn’t have heard elsewhere, and none of the actions Twink takes couldn’t have been done by Sean and simply imagined to have come from another person.

When that never came, I assumed I had just missed something, so I went to check out the Fast and Furious wiki page only to find this:

Nothing. His life begins when he meets Sean.

After seeing this I thought back to the movie I had just watched; did he ever really interact with anyone other than Sean? No, in fact hardly anyone (other than Sean) acknowledges anything he does or says, and the few times he has physical interaction with other characters its either them brushing past him without reacting or him in the same place doing the same thing as Sean. Furthermore the way he has his hair and the do rag he wears would not be allowed by their school dress code; which we see enforced on Sean by a teacher but never on Twinkie.

Twinkie being imaginary has fewer holes in it than Tyler Durden being imaginary.

My theory is that Twinkie is an imaginary friend created by Sean to help him cope with the culture shock of moving to Japan. He’s an out of place stereotype, a set of familiar essentially American features/clichés Sean dreamed up so he could have a piece of his own life to keep him comfortable. Not only does he fit all of the gangster clichés, he’s also non-threatening and very loyal, as well as occupies a support role rather than a rival role (by not being a driver) so he can be cool and pleasing to Sean without being “scary” or complex like a real human being. Twinkie is idealized.
The name “Twinkie” obviously is not a real name, and the nickname “Twink” reveals something about his character. Twink is gay slang for a young submissive guy, Twinkie is not only Sean’s idealized best friend and anchor to American culture, but his idealized lover. His homosexuality is so repressed his only safe outlet is his imagination.

Update: Foreign military members and their families in Japan are required to have plates with the letter Y, Twinkie's plates dont! Not a military brat! This is because Sean doesn't know about Y plates and so it cant be part of his fantasy!

Explanation for the rooftop fight:

SPACE HOMOS posted:

That is a fantasy developed by the main character as he gives up his ipod. Instead of admitting he is a pushover he dreams of being a hero who intervenes with a fight to become the moral superior by giving his ipod away. In reality he was knocked down like a weak gaijin.

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pawn 17 posted:

From the moment Twinkie is introduced, everything in the Fast and Furious franchise is imaginary.

But whose imagination is it? I would assume Sean, given the ending of Fast and Furious

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Sjs00 posted:

netflix stoned

Im sober thanks

u wan gently caress posted:

Update the wiki man, you're onto something.

I dont know how to edit wikis and I'm too lazy to figure it out, someone else should do it

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

bossy lady posted:

Tokyo drift is actually an allegory for circumcision. Twinkie is supposed to represent sean's missing foreskin.

Why...why is he black..

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

:eyepop:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

paul walker is imaginary because he burned to death in a car

Please, this isnt about him, he wasnt even in this movie

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i know he was imaginary

Just because someones in hell doesn't mean they're not real

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

gary oldmans diary posted:

i believe the whole movie is fiction

So is gary oldman's diary

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

je1 healthcare posted:

Hey OP not to take the wind out of your sales but I'm pretty sure Bow-wow's character mentioned being an army brat. His dad is stationed in Japan along with the main character's

but I havent seen this movie in 8 years or whenever it first came out

the sexual Shiite posted:

Didn't he specifically say that his dad was a marine, and he was selling American poo poo from the PX?

I dont remember this part, but since it was said to Sean specifically its probably a reflection of Sean's father also being military and him imprinting something familiar on his fantasy-BFF

SPACE HOMOS posted:

That is a fantasy developed by the main character as he gives up his ipod. Instead of admitting he is a pushover he dreams of being a hero who intervenes with a fight to become the moral superior by giving his ipod away. In reality he was knocked down like a weak gaijin.

Exactly!

Seriously this theory is way more air-tight than Fight Club

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Chill la Chill posted:

That's better and more fun than assuming a shallow movie really is shallow.

This is mostly why I came up with this theory, it was a defense mechanism to survive watching Tokyo Drift

3rded

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Has anyone updated the wiki yet?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I've discovered information that debunks the idea that Twinkie is a military brat:

US military and their families stationed in Japan have the letter Y on their license plates, you can clearly see here:

the Hulk car does NOT have the Y. The reason: Sean doesnt know about this yet, and so it cant be part of his fantasy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Early 2000s era Lil Bow wow a "thuggish stereotype"?

Are you from montana or something OP? Nigga had a bugs bunny pool table.

Not bow wow, hes a puppy, but thats obviously how the character was written/directed/designed

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Infyrno posted:

Tokyo Drift takes places after Fast and Furious 5 chronologically. Maybe that answers some questions?

Does it? You tell me, I havent seen the other ones.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I'd gently caress that car

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Smythe posted:

Twink poo poo. Post some American Muscle (Protagonist car)

Maybe I like black twinks, dont kink shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You can see twinkie in the background during the intro scenes as an apparition. This further solidifies that Twinkie is the main characters personified desire to be masculine and in the know.

Its strange that hes standing near the evil jocks instead of closer to Sean, maybe that represents some fantasy of 'winning' the affection of his enemies.

• Locked thread