Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Pawn 17 posted:

Can we do a physics analysis of the cars jumping between skyscrapers from Furious 7 please?

k mate

The car used in this scene was the Lykan Hypersport, which is capable of 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds. I'll assume that it hit 60 by the time it blew through the side of the building. It is 176.4 inches long by 76.5 inches wide for a total underbelly surface area of approximately 1,124.55 square feet. Judging from a rough estimate on Google Maps, the distance between the Etihad Towers (the location used in the movie) is approx. 50 feet. The towers are almost 1,000 feet tall so I'll use that altitude for determining air resistance using ICAO standard atmosphere tables.

When calculating lift for aircraft, you use the formula L = (1/2) d v2 s CL. L is for the total lift obviously, d is for air density (in this case at 1,000 feet), v2 is for velocity in FPS squared (60mph is 88 feet per second), s is for wing surface (so the 1,124.55 sq ft underbelly surface area from before) and CL is a wonky value that basically means what angle you're at as you move through the air. I'll assume that angle is zero degrees for the sake of simplicity and because Dom just drove off a flat floor. Zero degrees makes for a CL value of .18 or so.

So,

L = (1/2) .002308 x 7,744 x 1,124.55 x .18

L equals 1,808.93. As a general rule of thumb to allow flight for more than a few feet, L must equal the aircraft's weight in pounds. The Hypersport weighs 3,042 lbs. Looks like Dom ends up as a smashed bug at the bottom of a 1,000 foot tower. :(

e: however, if Dom reached the maximum speed of the Hypersport at 245mph then L becomes 60,211 making a 50 foot jump potentially plausible! Hope he made a few laps around the top floor before he ploughed through the window!

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Corky Romanovsky posted:

So you are saying he falls 1,000 feet while being unable to clear a 50 foot gap traveling 88 feet per second? You are saying he hits the ground in less than 0.5682 seconds?

I don't think this checks out.

Based on the L value I got, I'm assuming the car will decelerate once it leaves the first tower, maybe it will tumble, and otherwise not remain aerodynamically stable enough to keep going in a straight line. The fall to the ground would probably take 4-5 seconds from that high up.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

tell me more about this 1,100 square foot car

that's what I get for trying to do math at 3am :(

zedprime posted:

Did you just say a car will take off and fly if it reaches 245 mph? Woah.

Nah it's just at that point it'd probably be going fast enough to cannonball between the skyscrapers after dropping however many stories. Probably not going to land upright though!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

STUNNAH STUNNAH ON NUMBER 26 BAH GAWD BAH GAWD HAVE YA NAH SAWL

• Locked thread