Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

Did someone end up writing the story about the girl born with her heart on the outside? Ive been looking fwd to reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Piso Mojado posted:

Did someone end up writing the story about the girl born with her heart on the outside? Ive been looking fwd to reading that.

yee, social vegan, I've read it and as I said it's excellent

social vegan

Piso Mojado posted:

I don't have PMs but I can send my rough draft somewhere if you get what I mean *notions to the garbage can*

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You cant see mine till it gets editted. Im shy :blush:

wearing a lampshade

So what's the last resort? Everyone just posts their chapter here, one at a time, in sequential order?

Manifisto

albany academy posted:

So what's the last resort? Everyone just posts their chapter here, one at a time, in sequential order?

I am not 100% sure about this (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I think there may be specific reasons people do not post their work directly on SA. My guess is it relates to copyright law: people don't necessarily want to have "published" their work on SA first, nor do they want to support any claim that by posting their work on SA that SA somehow owns or partially owns the work. Basically this leaves more flexibility for those who might want to actually publish their work elsewhere, especially for pay where it can be important to figure out whether the work has been previously published.and who has the rights.

So I'd say that as a last resort, we might be better off establishing someone as a clearinghouse, having everybody email their chapters to them (as with misty), and having that person assemble all the drafts and email an integrated draft to all the authors.

ty nesamdoom!

social vegan

Manifisto posted:

I am not 100% sure about this (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I think there may be specific reasons people do not post their work directly on SA. My guess is it relates to copyright law: people don't necessarily want to have "published" their work on SA first, nor do they want to support any claim that by posting their work on SA that SA somehow owns or partially owns the work. Basically this leaves more flexibility for those who might want to actually publish their work elsewhere, especially for pay where it can be important to figure out whether the work has been previously published.and who has the rights.

So I'd say that as a last resort, we might be better off establishing someone as a clearinghouse, having everybody email their chapters to them (as with misty), and having that person assemble all the drafts and email an integrated draft to all the authors.

MM also wanted to stave off people reading other unfinished chapters to allow everyone who wrote to be surprised by the finished product. She wanted to act as an intermediary so, even where your story required convening with the author of another story, you'd have minimal involvement in other parts of the book.

If we reach a point where we must go on, I'm happy to collate, edit, and try to sort out mediation between authors with potential links in their stories. Remember, there are still some final chapters that need to be written once the first chapters are integrated!

Captain Splashback

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
i hope misty is okay :ohdear:

looking forward to it, friends.

Piso Mojado

I also will volunteer to help. I have some editing experience and I also didn't write anything. Misty is cool and if I'd be glad to help her out if I can.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Same here. I can also do cover work and editing.

Nathilus

Nooooope nope nope. Back to page one with ye.

Fredflonston

I've been kicking it old school in the physical world post-ban for about 2 months. Did this project deflate wholesale? I'll be super sad if so. I was excited. :(

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Fredflonston posted:

I've been kicking it old school in the physical world post-ban for about 2 months. Did this project deflate wholesale? I'll be super sad if so. I was excited. :(

nah, i think misty's just taking a forum break due to life happenings. it'll be resurrected another time.

Fredflonston

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

nah, i think misty's just taking a forum break due to life happenings. it'll be resurrected another time.

Completely understand. I'll work some good thoughts for Misty into my winter solstice ritual later.

social vegan

whenever misty sees this we miss ya

vanisher

social vegan posted:

whenever misty sees this we miss ya

The very first thread I made in BYOB Misty sent me the nicest message about how it was a good idea and how she liked my post. We miss ya Misty!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

City of Glompton

I think we should move forward if we don't hear from Misty in January...I want to read more stories!

also Misty if you're reading this, we miss you!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

joke_explainer

misty's the best and I look forward to her coming back sometime! board isn't the same without her posts.

Piso Mojado

I think we should just keep it bumped until she is back.

Piso Mojado

Bump

vanisher

I'll just sticky it forever upon my exit as IK

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Android Blues

the misty mountaintop candlelight vigil

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

City of Glompton posted:

I think we should move forward if we don't hear from Misty in January...I want to read more stories!

also Misty if you're reading this, we miss you!

joke_explainer posted:

misty's the best and I look forward to her coming back sometime! board isn't the same without her posts.

Android Blues posted:

vanisher posted:

I'll just sticky it forever upon my exit as IK

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Android Blues posted:

City of Glompton

Manifisto

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/xhpA14d.gif&v=2cOYzDtpEmI

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 22, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Piso Mojado

Fredflonston

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

(also me in the garage with my step-dad)

Manifisto

happy new year byorabian nights thread! we have hopes and dreams for u in 2017

ty nesamdoom!

Nathilus

I demand satisfaction.

Manifisto

hey folks! I have actually heard from misty, and the good news is she's alive and kicking. the less good news is she's otherwise occupied for a while. she'll rejoin us when she can, but for now if we'd like to take some steps on our own with this project, it's okay with her.

personally I view this as very much her ship and hope she'll be able to step back in and take the helm when she's ready. but I'd also like to maintain interest and enthusiasm in the project, which is less likely if people aren't working on it/thinking about it.

at the moment, I'm pretty interested in reading more of what other people have written. I'd be in favor of having someone combine all the draft chapters that have been submitted and distribute the resulting frankenstein's monster to the authors, maybe with a light editing pass. people may get ideas about revising their own sections, or have suggestions for other authors, or have ideas they want to share about how to reconcile/combine all the varying approaches we've taken. I don't think any of that would interfere with misty stepping back in with a more structured approach.

social vegan, piso, and arkanomen offered to help with this, and I'm also happy to be involved or fully responsible if necessary/desired. I do suggest that if anyone makes edits to writing that is not their own, they use some sort of track changes/comparison/redlining feature to indicate what has been changed. even thoughtful and well-intentioned edits can sometimes miss the mark.

also, for people who are still working on their draft chapters: this is the kick in the pants you need to get it done, busters.

other views, input, ideas?

ty nesamdoom!

social vegan

if people are cool with a small pool of editors we should have a group chat or even just email feed for easy back and forth. editing is a pain with pretty much more than one person unless there's easy back and forth!

if people want more editors involved we could chunk up chapters for pairs of editors to get things moving too!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
So the way i think Misty was going to do it was to look at all the stories and then hack together a new plot outline and character list from everyone's stories.

Then that outline would go back out to the chapter authors for a rewrite but now that everyone has direction they rewrite their stories to fit.

I think that's the big, beating heart of this group writing thing and I don't want to take that away from Misty, but if they're busy maybe we can help out and do this instead.

One of use editors can get all the drafts together into one big document and then maybe three of four of us look at it or maybe we all do and we work out the general points of the story together into a few options and we vote on which one we all like?

wearing a lampshade

I would be useless as an editor (I've never done that for fiction, just essays) but if I can help at all I am willing.

Piso Mojado

Let's do this!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Send me your drafts and which chapter you did. I'll start mashing them together.

ArkanomenSA at Gmail

Captain Splashback

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
i've been waiting with bated breath for this 🤓

City of Glompton

Piso Mojado posted:

Let's do this!

Adbot