Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Uh im a PUBLISHED writer. I cant just hand my manuscripts over to anyone who asks for them. Gonna need to see some credentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

Nathilus posted:

Uh im a PUBLISHED writer. I cant just hand my manuscripts over to anyone who asks for them. Gonna need to see some credentials.

Pretty please?

Nathilus

Arkanomen posted:

Pretty please?

Aww, fine! But you better not steal my owl fanfic.

Manifisto

Arkanomen posted:

Send me your drafts and which chapter you did. I'll start mashing them together.

ArkanomenSA at Gmail

thank you for taking the initiative, I'll send mine shortly

I don't think we've quite worked out what kind of editing pass will be done and who's going to do it, but that's no reason to hold up on putting them into a single file

my vote on the editing is something extremely light, mostly spelling / punctuation / flagrant grammar violations and "wordos"

Manifisto

Arkanomen posted:

THE FIRST OFFERING HAS BEEN SENT
IT IS MARVELOUS
SEND ME YOUR TALES

out of curiosity, how many chapters have been sent? how many are we waiting for? if anyone is holding off for some reason, is it worth discussion?

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Arkanomen posted:

Send me your drafts and which chapter you did. I'll start mashing them together.

ArkanomenSA at Gmail

can i just PM it so I get some use out of plat?

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I have gotten 5 Chapters so far.
Every one is amazing in its own unique way and you all should be proud.

I'm gonna sit down tonight with "She Who is The Brains of our Operation" and we'll put together a master document with people's chapters in it and try to pick out some themes/character types that match up with what people are putting down.

Send in your chapters people!

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Arkanomen posted:

I have gotten 5 Chapters so far.
Every one is amazing in its own unique way and you all should be proud.

I'm gonna sit down tonight with "She Who is The Brains of our Operation" and we'll put together a master document with people's chapters in it and try to pick out some themes/character types that match up with what people are putting down.

Send in your chapters people!

It's sent, the name of the chapter and stuff is in the document by the way

Android Blues

sent mine in

social vegan

Arkanomen posted:

"She Who is The Brains of our Operation"

...g-god?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

misty is god? that makes a lot more sense. she's invisible, and yet always with us; she tells us what to write (like the bible or maybe stories about farts?) and also we're sacrificing small amounts of microwave burritos to her altar she set up in my basement.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

I like to think my wife is.

I m hoping to put some options together out of the general feel of the chapters and then those can find their way to Misty who can pick how they want the book to be so it will still be Misty's vision.

Nathilus

Byorabian nights thread, I summon thee back to page 1. SHAZAM!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I got a Tetanus shot and flu shot from my new doctor and it made me sick all weekend. Keep sending in those drafts. I will update Asap.

Manifisto

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

got carried away so it took a while

quotin dis here so we don't forget about it, awesome work by SIB

and thanks Arkanomen, don't be afraid to noodge people who are slow in sending you their chapters

Manifisto

Arkanomen could you maybe give a little update? like, number of people who have sent chapters and number you're waiting for?

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

Manifisto posted:

Arkanomen could you maybe give a little update? like, number of people who have sent chapters and number you're waiting for?

I will do so now. Feels like this project is cursed. My hand got infected and the wife broke her arm rollerskating this weekend.
We got it sorted out and everyone is okay, just a run of bad luck but looks like we've beaten the curse for now.

What I've read so far is really good, but I have only received the following chapters, so I'm hesitant to go with some themes.

Finished Their Chapters: The List of Heroes
Splatmaster
Arkanomen
FredFlonston
Ahundredbux
social vegan
joke_explainer
City of Glompton
Food Court Bailiff
manifisto
albany academy
misty mountaintop
Android Blues
Nathilus

Picked a Chapter

Got an extension
my wheelhouse

List of Posters Whose Soul misty now owns until the end of time (Satan get at me if you wanna talk half-price souls)
Piso Mojado
Luvcow
Mr Willsauce
Takane
i flunked out
Absolute Lithops
Doghouse
super mario batali

Chapters Underlined means I have it in my emailbox.

1. How Two Empires Divided the World Between Them - joke_explainer
2. Frog’s Complaint, and How the Two Emperors Judged It Differently - manifisto
3. Frog Destroys the Moon Palace -Doghouse
4. The Arguments of the Owls - Nathilus
5. Miriam, Daughter of the Owls -Ahundredbux
6. Why Trees Stop Growing at a Certain Point - Splatmaster
7. Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand - social vegan
8. The Very Dirty Princess - City of Glompton
9. The Cook and the Alligator’s Banquet - my wheelhouse
10. Miriam Meets Edith, Who Will Become Her Best Friend - misty mountaintop
11. What Happened to the Moon Refugees - Takane
12. The Crab and the Thornbush - i flunked out
13. Frog, at Home, with His Horrible Children - Android Blues
14. How Frog was Seduced by the Devil - Arkanomen
15. The Dream of the Wise Old Snake - FredFlonston
16. The Trials of Miriam - Absolute Lithops
17. The Three Geese, and What Became of Them albany academy
18. The Treasures of the Moon People - Mr Willsauce
19. A Mighty Battle Between Owls and Demons-----------------------
20. The Death of Edith, Which Really Wasn’t That Bad-------------------
21. The Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake - Luvcow
22. The Cat and the Octopus and Which is More Truthful -food court bailiff
23. Frog Meets a Wise Snake and Repents of His Evil-------------------
24. Frog Among the Flowers------------------------
25. The Tale of the Humble Peacock - super mario batali
26. Miriam Fights Frog, But Declines to Kill Him-------------------------
27. Miriam Defeats the Devil--------------------------------
28. The Happy End of the Two Empires------------------------

So, so far I have gotten 8 out of the 28 chapters. 7 of which are unassigned or not recorded as having an owner (I know Misty wanted to write the big chapters).
Fortunately we have consecutive chapters with responding authors so re-work and pulling common themes should work well.
By Wednesday I will send an email out to people with what I think are the common themes so people can start working on draft 2 or if anyone else wants to pick up chapters that aren't misty locked they have a style sheet as inspiration.

Sorry to keep people waiting, I appreciate you guys letting me carry the torch for misty until they're back. I will see this to the end!

Also that cover is baller Saint Isaias Boner!

Manifisto

great, thanks! really sorry to hear about the medical issues, hope you both feel better! if you ever want or need someone to step in/assist, don't hesitate to ask.

so by my count, the following folks have finished a chapter but not sent it to you:
Splatmaster
joke_explainer
Food Court Bailiff
albany academy

is that right? maybe if they don't respond in a couple of days you could send them a pm or something? I think joke_explainer said something about wanting to work on a rewrite, not sure where he stands on that.

I'll say it again, I would be really interested in reading people's draft chapters unvarnished/unreworked. are you willing to put together a version that just assembles the current drafts into a common document that could be shared with the authors?

JuulPodSaveAmerica
I'd like to recommend an epilogue covered in trigger warnings called "The Third Way", which describes the sudden reappearance of Atlantis in Lake Huron and is full of alarming fanservice.

----------------
i honestly believe you are tripping right now.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
Yowza, it really is cursed, huh?

wearing a lampshade

I'll forward mine when I get a chance

Manifisto

since a certain duck mod who shall remain nameless does not like callout threads, consider this a callout to:

Splatmaster
joke_explainer
Food Court Bailiff
albany academy

. . . and for that matter, anyone on misty's List of Posters Whose Soul misty now owns until the end of time

it's a new year, it's a new era, our book is waiting to be born. send in your chapters! haven't finished (or started) yours yet? we've got a weekend coming up, cancel your plans, they can't possibly be more important!

vanisher

If once we assemble things you feel you need more raw material I would be happy to pick up an unclaimed chapter

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
misty died on the way back to her home world, our souls are free

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

misty died on the way back to her home world, our souls are free

FREE SOULS

Slightly Used

Unsullied by concerns about punctuality

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Read through the chapters again and I think I have the theme and style down, but I want to give the stragglers one more chance to email me a draft so people aren't left out. Don't be shy!

I'll be emailing out my recommended theme lists tonight (late though) so deadline is 9pm EST. (Don't sorry if you're late, just send me a draft so I know you're okay).

After Tomorrow i'll open up the remaining chapters to first write first pick and for any new authors (along with the previous authors) you get a handy dandy writing guide!

Thanks for bearing with me!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sheesh guys someone PM a dude or something :( i almost missed the deadline here!

PMed you Ark

wearing a lampshade

Oh whoops I'm sorry!
Sent it now to Arkanomen

JuulPodSaveAmerica

albany academy posted:

Oh whoops I'm sorry!
Sent it now to Arkanomen

Sorry, I bound one soul to my scarf and the other soul to a jack in my computer.

----------------

Nathilus

So glad this cursed train back on track. Choo choo!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

food court bailiff posted:

sheesh guys someone PM a dude or something :( i almost missed the deadline here!

PMed you Ark

albany academy posted:

Oh whoops I'm sorry!
Sent it now to Arkanomen

Got them!

Thank you! Sorry FCB!! You are right, should PM people. I am putting the stories into the grand scheme!

Nathilus posted:

So glad this cursed train back on track. Choo choo!

I ain't afraid of no curse! (Please no more mr.curse, thank you)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

since a certain duck mod who shall remain nameless does not like callout threads, consider this a callout to:

Splatmaster
joke_explainer
Food Court Bailiff
albany academy

. . . and for that matter, anyone on misty's List of Posters Whose Soul misty now owns until the end of time

it's a new year, it's a new era, our book is waiting to be born. send in your chapters! haven't finished (or started) yours yet? we've got a weekend coming up, cancel your plans, they can't possibly be more important!

Check your PMs please!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

cool, I think that's nearly everyone who wrote a chapter! arkanomen, if you haven't heard from joke_explainer, do you maybe want to drop him a pm?

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
:siren: UPDATE:siren:

Hear Ye, Hear Ye
I have put together the first drafts!
You are all amazing and should be proud. Most of this works together and we shouldn't need any massive overhauling!

SOME STATS
The book is currently 57 pages long!
The book is currently 1631 sentences long!
The book is currently 488 paragraphs long!
The book is currently 27,000 words!
The book is currently made of 122468 letters!
Readability stats show an average of 3.7 sentences per paragraph, 16 words per sentences with a readability level of 7.0
There are swears!

Chapters remaining

So, with the draft finished I'm gonna open the following chapters up to whoever wants them. Post and claim a story and I will feed you some info to get you started so your new chapter fits in! If you're one of the people listed and have written your chapter or still are writing or even have a little bit written PM me or email me at arkanomenSA at gmail with you got. No soul stealing or shame! I wanna keep this train movin!

9. The Cook and the Alligator’s Banquet - my wheelhouse
11. What Happened to the Moon Refugees - Takane
12. The Crab and the Thornbush - i flunked out
16. The Trials of Miriam - Absolute Lithops
18. The Treasures of the Moon People - Mr Willsauce
21. The Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake - Luvcow
25. The Tale of the Humble Peacock - super mario batali

:siren:joke_explainer Send me your draft!!! :siren:

I am still reading and formatting so style guides are pending but thank you all who contributed a chapter! You rock!

If you really want to cheat and want an advance reader copy, hit me up on PM and I will send you the ULTRA TOP SECRET DROP BOX LINK

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 28, 2017

vanisher

3. Frog Destroys the Moon Palace

I'll write this

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

vanisher posted:

3. Frog Destroys the Moon Palace

I'll write this

YES! Okay, PM'ing you with some deets.

joke_explainer

I'm doing some rewriting as I fear the low quality of my chapter is what chased misty away but I'll probably send tomorrow.

JuulPodSaveAmerica

Blanketspace posted:

I'd like to recommend an epilogue covered in trigger warnings called "The Third Way", which describes the sudden reappearance of Atlantis in Lake Huron and is full of alarming fanservice.

I found Atlantis (or the Library of Alexandria), but it's not in Lake Huron... It's in the Bermuda Triangle. My trap senses are tingling.

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Arkanomen posted:

There are swears!
:eyepop:

I'll have to check with an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

joke_explainer posted:

I'm doing some rewriting as I fear the low quality of my chapter is what chased misty away but I'll probably send tomorrow.

Hey man, no worries or judgements! Get it how you like it even close to where you like and I'll be thrilled to get it into the draft! Like I said before we are still in the early stages.

I'm making a dramaturgical sheet catching all the characters and settings and notes people made and trying to get everything consistent so there is tons of leeway.

The point being, have fun with it and don't stress!

• Locked thread