Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
joke_explainer and manifisto, that sounds wonderful to me so manifisto, I'm going give you chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

this is my favorite title

Of course, one loves all one's children, but yes, that's my favorite title, too.

Fredflonston

Ill take the Dream of the Wise Old Snake. I can feel it.

Piso Mojado

can someone pick one for me?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

MrWillsauce posted:

I don't really want to talk about my story until it's written, because it's easy for me to talk stuff up and then never get around to actually doing it. But on the other hand my moon story will probably clash with the other moon stories and be weird... I'm just gonna get started and roll with it. I dunno.

This is very wise. Don't worry about continuity. There will eventually, once things are written, be a process of revision to reconcile anything that really clashes. Not that you can't take cues from what other people are saying, but you also don't have to and it's way, way more important to write something than to make the pieces fit together perfectly at this point.

Manifisto

Piso Mojado posted:

can someone pick one for me?

do you want framing story or self-contained?

if you want framing story, do

4. The Arguments of the Owls

if you want self-contained, I ache to hear about

17. The Three Geese, and What Became of Them

ty nesamdoom!

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
What moon are the moon people from? Or can I pick any moon for my chapter

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Takane posted:

What moon are the moon people from? Or can I pick any moon for my chapter

you are free to write whatever moon you want, but i like the idea of one moon and one planet, because any other moons would probably end the story very quickly and spectacularly in my chapter where they orbit around a common, external-to-both barycenter and they're close enough to chuck things at each other, but I think writing anything is more important than staying consistent so if you need more moons we get more moons!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The trees are concerned right now about all the celestial goings-on what with the moon and all and are in recess to decide if reaching to the sky is a viable option or if they'll just collectively stop growing and become bushes instead. At least (for now) I can see the forest for the trees...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

social vegan

for Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand, it'll be a kind of origin story, but I was thinking the focus of the story is about how Edith cannot hide when she is nervous or scared or excited because everyone can see her heart beating in her hand. I want one part of the story to be her defining moment (which I think would be one great place to interweave someone else's story), where she helps find/guide someone through a storm/forest/other using only the sound of her heartbeat. I was also thinking of ending her chapter with her ascending to oracle status but instead of just seeing the future she can answer any question with complete honesty.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

social vegan posted:

for Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand, it'll be a kind of origin story, but I was thinking the focus of the story is about how Edith cannot hide when she is nervous or scared or excited because everyone can see her heart beating in her hand. I want one part of the story to be her defining moment (which I think would be one great place to interweave someone else's story), where she helps find/guide someone through a storm/forest/other using only the sound of her heartbeat. I was also thinking of ending her chapter with her ascending to oracle status but instead of just seeing the future she can answer any question with complete honesty.

That's fantastic. Love it.

----------------

my wheelhouse

by FactsAreUseless
If it's not too late (looks like it is) and you assign me a chapter, then I'll participate :ohdear:

----------------

Piso Mojado

I'll do the three geese :)

the unabonger
Takane and android blues, could i have a general idea of what youre planning to write about? I know my story will be self contained but i still want it to be related to whats going to happen or what has just happened thematically...

Fredflonston

Fredflonston posted:

Ill take the Dream of the Wise Old Snake. I can feel it.

Still feelin the snake :wave:

Takane

by FactsAreUseless

i flunked out posted:

Takane and android blues, could i have a general idea of what youre planning to write about? I know my story will be self contained but i still want it to be related to whats going to happen or what has just happened thematically...

The op says that your chapter isnt directly connected to the frame story so i think you should be ok to go anyway you want with it. I've been busy so i haven't had time to start mine yet.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Fredflonston posted:

Still feelin the snake :wave:

Gotcha, thanks for reminding me.

City of Glompton

my wheelhouse posted:

If it's not too late (looks like it is) and you assign me a chapter, then I'll participate :ohdear:

i vouch for this guy btw, in case that matters misty

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

my wheelhouse posted:

I'd be down to write up a story, if there's still room? Just let me know how I can help.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

my wheelhouse posted:

Sounds good, but do you really want me to assign you one or do you want to pick?

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

I'd be down to write up a story, if there's still room? Just let me know how I can help.

You're on the list. What chapter do you want?

----------------

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I'll take "14. How Frog was Seduced by the Devil"
If that's okay. I like the title, it sounds fun.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

I'll take "14. How Frog was Seduced by the Devil"
If that's okay. I like the title, it sounds fun.

It's yours.

----------------

my wheelhouse

by FactsAreUseless

misty mountaintop posted:

Sounds good, but do you really want me to assign you one or do you want to pick?

Upon reading the chapter titles #9 sticks out to me. I'll do that one, thanks.

----------------

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
so do we get right to writing and let the pieces fall where they may? I have an interconnected part of the story so I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

joke_explainer

Arkanomen posted:

so do we get right to writing and let the pieces fall where they may? I have an interconnected part of the story so I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

just go for it. I've written many things that will probably get changed. the Bookmaster will look it all over and pick out the best pieces, and either get back to us with revisions or just edit it all to work out.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

so far the two empires are connected by atmosphere as a tidally locked, geostationary moon in the sky, and frog the guy in charge of the trebuchets that ship goods up to the moon and receive packages from the moon (there's another system for shipping people in place, run by the owls at the moon palace). the gravitational constant in this universe is 0.2G and objects can be much more dense than they would by in this universe (newtonian universe, speed of light is infinite). the moon is covered in mushrooms for some reason and they release spores during the summer week every four weeks that act like smog. everything is very low technology, but the super unusual orbital configuration means people can almost freakin jump to the other planet if they're close enough. if this sucks I'll rewrite it, misty will be the arbiter. got like 4 pages down but currently loving around with spreadsheets to work out the exact math and seasons and stuff...

:love:

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

Go for it. Feel free to talk and figure things out if you want - I think it was helpful for joke_explainer and manifisto to give an overview of their chapters so maybe you want to do that, but the main point is to have fun and not to worry so if you're feeling inspired just write and it'll all work out in the end.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
That's cool. The only thing I really need defined is the Frog character, his personality and motivations so I know how to play him.

social vegan

he likes to get wet

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Got it. Going hog wild. Thank you.

joke_explainer

social vegan posted:

he likes to get wet

this is actually true.

so after my first revision here, I realized two big problems with my original idea: one, if there was water on either planet, it would end up pooled around the two center cities... and two, what is 'straight up' is not as obvious as it seems, since the ground is in a teardrop shape at about a 60 degree angle compared to the rest of it.

so that resolved by having a shared body of water between them. i experimented with more complex orbits, but for purposes of this story, I'm going with nearly perfect circular orbits. big props to robert jordan's story 'rocheworld', which I didn't know about until after I started researching this, but it maps a similar system with more realistic design.

You can use or ignore this as you want, it's just what I'm working off of.

City of Glompton

joke_explainer posted:

this is actually true.

so after my first revision here, I realized two big problems with my original idea: one, if there was water on either planet, it would end up pooled around the two center cities... and two, what is 'straight up' is not as obvious as it seems, since the ground is in a teardrop shape at about a 60 degree angle compared to the rest of it.

so that resolved by having a shared body of water between them. i experimented with more complex orbits, but for purposes of this story, I'm going with nearly perfect circular orbits. big props to robert jordan's story 'rocheworld', which I didn't know about until after I started researching this, but it maps a similar system with more realistic design.

that is very cool

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

joke_explainer

City of Glompton posted:

that is very cool

thanks! it took a lot of tweaking... I think the ocean size is good, it's huge, but the nautical speed of ships sailing with the tide is very high, you can cross the distance in 24 hours before the tides start going out again... of course, there'd be all kinds of complex flows and weather and stuff...

Fredflonston

reminds me of this. dope.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Okay so I have started writing my piece.
e: I'm not sure how much were supposed to post/coordinate.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 13, 2016

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
I'd like to do 16, the trials of Miriam. I think her trials should provide her with something that will prove vital to her defeat of Frog, but whose importance may not be apparent in my chapter. I think other people need to figure out who Miriam is before I can choose some trials for her.

e: Her trials will be based on traditional fairytale/mythological trials, which can be pretty strange

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 13, 2016

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
e: Nvm. It's supposed to be secret. NO PEEKING.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 13, 2016

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

this is actually true.

I love this, both the precision and weirdness/implausibility of it. It reminds me of something out of early fantasy/sci-fi before tropes were really set and people were just writing whatever seemed interesting.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

Okay so I have started writing my piece.
e: I'm not sure how much were supposed to post/coordinate.

Post/coordinate as much as is helpful to you without impeding the writing. I know people have very different creative processes. Some people just need to get to work. Some need to have some direction and grounding first. I just also know that it's very common to get so hung up on details and getting it "right" that the fun process of imagining and writing becomes an anxious one instead.

The one thing I'm asking is that nobody post the actual text which they have written. This is partly because it's nicer when things are a surprise, but mostly because there's nothing that activates feelings of anxiety and inferiority and "wrongness" like reading someone else's work when you're in the middle of writing your own.

What I envision we'll end up with after "phase I" is a patchwork of stories where the patches will need to be tailored a bit. If this will help, here's what it will look like from a production perspective.

Phase I:

Writing the initial chapters. We're doing that now! Yay!
At the end of this phase I'll read through what we've got and produce short summaries of each of the "frame" chapters. No actual revision will go on here, but the summaries will be relatively "smoothed" so that they represent a coherent narrative. This will allow us to move on to the next part.

Assuming we get enough participation and followthrough at this phase, I am committing to dragging this sucker all the way across the finish line (up through Phase IV) even if I have to do it by my lonesome, but hopefully I won't have to do it alone.

Phase II:
Anyone who still wants to be involved in this little project will get assigned one of the currently "bolded" chapters. If there are more people who still want to be involved than there are chapters, we'll break those chapters down into further sections and team-write them. The reason that they are "locked" right now is that I think it would be hard to write them in a properly climactic/conclusive way without knowing a bit more about the narrative.

At the end of this phase, we will have a complete story.

Phase III:
I will post (or probably put in pastebin or somewhere like that), the complete, unedited text that we have created. At this point, we will have a discussion to decide any overarching issues in tone, scope, narrative, characterization that will need to be addressed before editing can begin.

At the end of this phase, editors will have the guidance they need to revise responsibly.

Phase IV:
I, and up to two or three other people who somehow still want to be involved in this project will actually edit the document. My hope is that the document we edit will be viewable in real time so everyone can see what the editors are doing and give guidance and encouragement. The "editing rules" will look something like this.

• Preserve as much of the original text as possible.
  • Where possible, reconcile problems by adding, rather than cutting things. (Where possible, if the original writer of the chapter is interested in adding stuff, they get first dibs).
  • Where it is not possible to reconcile problems by adding, reconcile problems by rearranging (Some chapters will probably end up out of the original order, or with bits of other chapters moved into them)
  • If cutting is necessary, 1) Respect the contributions of the writers 2) Create an index of "textual variants" where the cut material will live on forever in a textual Valhalla
  • Improve the story.

At the end of this phase, we will have a complete story! But:

Phase V:
Starting concurrently with Phase IV, but perhaps extending beyond it, we will put on the finishing touches, which might include:

• Proofreading
  • Art stuff: charts, maps, illustrations! etc.
  • Book stuff: table of contents, credits, introduction, foreword etc.
  • Design stuff: font, layout, etc.

Phase VI:

?? What will happen to our masterpiece then? I don't know. But we will feel really good about what we have accomplished and maybe we can get a gang tag or some other sign of participation.

misty mountaintop fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 13, 2016

----------------

• Locked thread