Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Yeah, I think you guys are right. I prob thought cross server since one of the new ones is only combining 3 servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

You can pick population on Harbinger or goons on Jedi Covenant, not both.

If goons are active I'll choose goons. Which side?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kimsemus posted:

If goons are active I'll choose goons. Which side?

Goons are most active on Jedi Covenant. But "most active" means 1-2 on at a time, so don't rely on us for server choice. Hop in Discord and chat us up a bit.

I'm hoping the merges will bring some people back.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I expected United Forces to be something that would remove the barriers between factions or make them more fluid. Merging servers isn't an event. It's your game dying.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Neat. If I ever play this again all of my characters will finally be on the goon server. Pot5 -> ebon hawk -> covenant I guess?

Of course I was space rich during kotfe so I'm probably space poor now after inflation.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Has anyone checked the SWTOR forums yet over possibly losing thier character names yet?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Has anyone checked the SWTOR forums yet over possibly losing thier character names yet?

There's a lot of butthurt about it. The way they're doing it this time is a bit different, since everyone is being moved off their server they are taking age of the character and amount of time played into account.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
I don't know why they just didn't add numbers like they do on Battlenet.

swtor faq posted:

If your Guild name overlaps with another Guild name; each will have the name of the original server appended to the original Guild name.
Or do this with char names too. Even just initials of old servers would work and people would be happy.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CeeCee posted:

Or do this with char names too. Even just initials of old servers would work and people would be happy.

Knowing how much the SWTOR coding's held together with spit and duct tape, it'd probably trash the game mail system.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CeeCee posted:

Planetside 1 did this, and most people wore the server initials at the end of their name like a badge of honor to show how long they've been playing. It worked out quite well.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Being an oceanic player I couldn't play on Jedi Covenant because the ping was over 300. Harbinger was a more manageable 180.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Kimsemus posted:

Planetside 1 did this, and most people wore the server initials at the end of their name like a badge of honor to show how long they've been playing. It worked out quite well.

I actually created Aleth on Emerald so when my main got transferred from Konreid I'd end up as Aleth-K. Confused people when I shouted in global or whatever as some of them thought it designated me as a dev or something.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How is anyone looking at this as a positive when it clearly means the game is getting ready to "go live on a farm?" It's old, it's tired, it's dying, nobody loves it anymore. I know some of the devs are with us here but the direction the game is going in honestly feels like they're putting a pillow on its face out of mercy.

It's definitely well past its expiry for a game that probably doesn't turn much of a profit and has a history of landing like a wet fart. Seems like an impossible situation having basically been put in wind-down mode business and resources wise yet still having to keep people entertained.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They should've gone to regional mega servers a long time ago. Like the start of f2p. It's not like FFXIV where instancing breaks everything when it's being used.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

How is anyone looking at this as a positive when it clearly means the game is getting ready to "go live on a farm?" It's old, it's tired, it's dying, nobody loves it anymore. I know some of the devs are with us here but the direction the game is going in honestly feels like they're putting a pillow on its face out of mercy.

It's definitely well past its expiry for a game that probably doesn't turn much of a profit and has a history of landing like a wet fart. Seems like an impossible situation having basically been put in wind-down mode business and resources wise yet still having to keep people entertained.

The game has been like this since 2014. Knights of the Fallen Empire drove the people who wanted a MMORPG away as it focused on story. I really wish I could see the numbers, because I have a feeling that it was way more successful than a lot of people think it was BECAUSE it was essentially a single player game.

I genuinely think their business model has been focused on short term subs - people log on, play the new story, dink around a bit and then unsubscribe. Server merges have been needed for YEARS if the game has any hope of retaining any people that do want to play the MMO content. They're taking a huge chance by not releasing an official expansion this year, especially with The Last Jedi there to boost interest in Star Wars anything. Instead the new producer is delivering some actual multiplayer content - GSF map, PvP map, a couple new Flashpoints, and slowly releasing an Operation a boss at a time (which is going much slower than it should, but at least they're doing it).

Putting everyone on mega servers will give the people asking for them a chance to vote with their wallets - if they don't see the subs come back for the new multi-player content, I suspect they'll move back to story content.

I think 3.0 was really a giant test for raiders. It was the last "traditional" expansion the game has had. Ravagers and ToS are the two hardest Operations, and I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that very few people touched the Hard Mode versions, and that the numbers showed that more people ran alts through the SoR story mode. They even gave you the option at the end of the expansion to end with a raid, or end with a solo option. If that isn't a poll of what players want to do in game than I don't know what is. :)

I don't think the game is in maintenance mode, we'll see small bits of new content for a while, but it's never going to be a major MMORPG that people grind away at two nights a week doing Nightmare raids. It's still my go to "I'm drunk and it's too early to go to bed so maybe I'll just do some PvP" game, which is easily worth the sub.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Investing in new infrastructure is pretty much the opposite of maintenance mode, if that were happening they'd just leave the servers as is to squeeze what few nickels they can out of server transfers. Meanwhile the devs would disappear from the forum as they are fired or reassigned rather than actively posting roadmaps with six months of plans.

Also I think people who see ToR as barely profitable are really underestimating the Cartel Market and how much disposable income thirty-something Star Wars nerds have.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

They even gave you the option at the end of the expansion to end with a raid, or end with a solo option. If that isn't a poll of what players want to do in game than I don't know what is. :)

I feel like that's not necessarily indicative of "do you like raiding?". The choice is basically "in order to progress the story past this point, do you want to A: wrangle 8 role-appropriate friends together and bang your head against the wall figuring out a new raid or B: do a thing by yourself real quick"

I wanted to see the raid, but that was not a hard choice lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The game has been like this since 2014. Knights of the Fallen Empire drove the people who wanted a MMORPG away as it focused on story. I really wish I could see the numbers, because I have a feeling that it was way more successful than a lot of people think it was BECAUSE it was essentially a single player game.

Not everyone. I felt the story took a nosedive with Knights of the Fallen Empire, which is what's keeping me away and from reading the official forums I get the feeling I'm not alone. I got into TOR because of the places and ways it departed from traditional Star Wars ideas and storytelling - the light side Sith Warrior, the dark side Smuggler, the Imperial Agent in general.

I think it's a shame what became of the game.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Not everyone. I felt the story took a nosedive with Knights of the Fallen Empire, which is what's keeping me away and from reading the official forums I get the feeling I'm not alone. I got into TOR because of the places and ways it departed from traditional Star Wars ideas and storytelling - the light side Sith Warrior, the dark side Smuggler, the Imperial Agent in general.

How could you be disappointed by running down a hallway with no doors and fighting random packs of unavoidable trash mobs and then watching a cutscene?!

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

New teaser for Copero FP in which Theron gets a new dumb haircut (contains spoilers for Umbara if you haven't done it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAI-yGmHM5M

I guess Timothy Zahn helped write the story for it if anyone really likes the Chiss.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Yeah I liked it but didn't love it. Definitely didn't enjoy it enough to do it more than once. But I suspect that the majority of players liked it, and the numbers more than likely support it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Investing in new infrastructure is pretty much the opposite of maintenance mode, if that were happening they'd just leave the servers as is to squeeze what few nickels they can out of server transfers. Meanwhile the devs would disappear from the forum as they are fired or reassigned rather than actively posting roadmaps with six months of plans.

Also I think people who see ToR as barely profitable are really underestimating the Cartel Market and how much disposable income thirty-something Star Wars nerds have.

I don't need to be right here so don't take this as argument, but how is a server merge an infrastructure spend? They don't have the numbers anymore so they are downsizing the infrastructure by putting everyone on fewer servers in fewer regions.

What it says to me is that they know that the numbers are so bad that even with all the players of a region combined they would never come anywhere near taxing a single server in the same region at the game's peak. It's a cost savings measure if anything papered over as a new exciting quality of life improvement. It's smart, but it's not a good sign for the health of the game if the numbers are so low that you'll be able to count the number of servers worldwide on one hand.

I'll concede maybe changes in provisioning cloud servers means that player counts don't strictly equate to distinct server counts and they can expand and contract at will (don't know if that's true of databases since performance and storage scale with spindles, but maybe not as true anymore with virtualization, dedupe and the ubiquity of all-flash storage) and this is just common sense to make it easier to find groups and play together. But why is merging servers to improve group finder queues a quality of life improvement unless the quality of life was bad to begin with and there consistently weren't enough people to fill parties?

The messaging to me says death is right around the corner and that we'll wake up someday soon to find SWTOR is being sunsetted in favor of a Star Wars Overwatch clone or something along those lines. The fact as Medullah said that there is no major promotional tie-in or expansion release to coincide with the new movie says a lot about where SWTOR fits into EA/Bioware and Disney/Lucasfilm's plans.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Turbl posted:

New teaser for Copero FP in which Theron gets a new dumb haircut (contains spoilers for Umbara if you haven't done it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAI-yGmHM5M

I guess Timothy Zahn helped write the story for it if anyone really likes the Chiss.

That really is a dumb haircut worthy of being sentenced to death if I hadn't already done so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't need to be right here so don't take this as argument, but how is a server merge an infrastructure spend? They don't have the numbers anymore so they are downsizing the infrastructure by putting everyone on fewer servers in fewer regions.

There's been a bunch of server crashes over the last 6 months. In the road map discussion they brought up that they invested a fair amount of money on beefier machines. It stands to reason that if they were truly going into maintenance mode, they wouldn't upgrade their hardware.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I do wonder how Disney feels about this considering it's basically the only active vestige left of the pre-Disney "canon".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'll hop on and give this another whirl once the servers merge.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OhFunny posted:

I'll hop on and give this another whirl once the servers merge.

Should be nice. They're giving rewards for playing between 11/8 and 11/28, including Darth Hexid, the Dark Side companion that lost the DvL event last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So...something for the few goons that still play to think about for the next month or so -

That's No Goon has been effectively a dead guild for the last few years. With the server merges coming, I'm wondering if we should -

a) Try and recruit non-goons to our guild and build it up.
b) Find another better established guild to merge with
c) Leave it as is, knowing it's primarily just a place to park your characters.

The primary reason for TNG over the last few years has been to have a place to chat with Goons while you're playing - but lately there hasn't even been that much chat. And with Discord going, we'll always have a place to talk.

Any goons in active guilds on Ebon Hawk or Shadowlands?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I re-upped to see if I could protect my character names for the upcoming server merges. I'm encountering tons of skipping around as I move my character or rotate the view. The graphics setting doesn't appear to affect it, nor server, nor ping. It's jumping around like mad, something I've never seen before in this game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Medullah posted:

So...something for the few goons that still play to think about for the next month or so -

That's No Goon has been effectively a dead guild for the last few years. With the server merges coming, I'm wondering if we should -

The primary reason for TNG over the last few years has been to have a place to chat with Goons while you're playing - but lately there hasn't even been that much chat. And with Discord going, we'll always have a place to talk.

I'm on Ebon Hawk, but always played solo.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Dick Trauma posted:

I re-upped to see if I could protect my character names for the upcoming server merges. I'm encountering tons of skipping around as I move my character or rotate the view. The graphics setting doesn't appear to affect it, nor server, nor ping. It's jumping around like mad, something I've never seen before in this game.

I was having this problem too and apparently its a known issue but fixing it seems to a black magic mix of different bullshit. In my case going into the video options and turning off vsync and loving around with the fps limiter settings seemed to mostly make it go away.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

I'm on Ebon Hawk, but "active" would be an overstatement.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Codex Occultus posted:

I was having this problem too and apparently its a known issue but fixing it seems to a black magic mix of different bullshit. In my case going into the video options and turning off vsync and loving around with the fps limiter settings seemed to mostly make it go away.

I saw a thing on the board about setting pre rendered frames to 1 and enabling triple buffering and that seems to have made things tolerable. I didn't get the chance to go questing or anything but it definitely was less horrible.

Speaking of horrible, looks like I have to re-do my whole HUD and review all my skills. Since I was crafting I also have loads of ingredients on all my characters and probably should jettison everything. Crafting was always a pain in the rear end in this game.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

I've made a habit since launch of infrequently subbing for a month or two and then leaving the game alone for several more months after that, so my input should probably be disregarded, but I don't really see the point of merging with another guild (might as well just straight up join whatever guild you like if the goon squad formula doesn't really matter). Attracting non-goons might be okay, though I'm interested in hearing what sort of selection process would be involved. Just letting any interested players in seems like a poor idea. All things considered, it'd be fine with me if TNG just remained a strictly casual goons-only guild.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I confess, I'll probably only grind out the stories. Hopefully, I'll finish before the game dies. I like barbie dressup, but it's only so fun on 2012 graphics.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

And here was I thinking TNG membership was solely for access to the tastefully decorated ship and, more recently, underwater karaoke bar.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

And here was I thinking TNG membership was solely for access to the tastefully decorated ship and, more recently, underwater karaoke bar.

Which sadly our members RARELY take advantage of.

And don't forget our suicidal Bantha on Manaan.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been seeing a lot of bizarre graphics glitches lately too, way more than Hoth sky goes black or standing corpses. I figure it'll be fixed or somewhat fixed after the merge.

As far as the TNG guild goes, only reason I bother with guilds anymore is for the goons since there just doesn't seem to be the usual drama and bs I've had to deal with in other guilds. Granted we don't talk so much in guild chat or do a lot of the traditional guild event stuff, I'd still rather have that then deal with some of the poo poo I've seen happen in other guilds in the MMOs I've played. If we do go the route of letting non-goons in, I'd be curious as to the selection process.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

If we do go the route of letting non-goons in, I'd be curious as to the selection process.

"You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of the sudden you look down and see a tortoise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

If we do go the route of letting non-goons in, I'd be curious as to the selection process.

We show them pictures of sexy Skadge having a good time with the dancers on the ship and see if they still want in.

• Locked thread