Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

If anyone happens to need a referral link to click, here's mine. http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

And every planet had its own unique commendation, so you started at zero every time you moved. And you didn't get sprint until like level 15 or something.

I certainly don't miss these or the having to pay for training which got expensive as gently caress as you leveled so you were often having to decide which ability was more important than the others. Or having a gear drop and having to decide on either an upgrade for you or choose between companions and hope that you planned right to cover when you get those occasional missions you have to do with a specific companion so they're not undergeared.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can also gain lots of XP and gear by grinding out heroics which are A) now soloable and B) give you handy-dandy teleporters straight to the quest location when you pick up the quest (from a terminal, which lists them all out so you don't even have to find them in the world anymore). You can bang them out real quick and save time if you just wanted to do class quests and skip the planetaries. Or at least I assume you still can.

Putting in the heroics teleporters was probably what finally got me bothering with heroics more. It's so much nicer to be able to bang out a full go of heroics back to back than have to spend all that time running your rear end around to grab the quest then running back to go turn it in.

For the most part I do the class quests with whatever XP boost rewards I get so I'm usually good levelling so if I do the planetary or exploratory quests it's because I want to rather than I need to with some heroics if I feel I need to get an XP buffer going. Add on the DvL XP armor, the XP boost reward and the double XP going on now, I'm pretty much at level 50 by the time I start Act 2.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Some datamined info about a new thing to grind post 70, Galactic Command.

Also some little tidbits in there - they're releasing a new type of Party Jawa it appears, so people who missed out on the sub reward early on can do the achievements.

KOTET chapters (and possibly KOTFE chapters) can be replayed on higher difficulties with characters.

There will be a new portable faction neutral holo-class trainer like the Hutt statue from RotHC, Senya.

I can't wait to read the SWTOR forums when the news on that new Party Jawa hits. There's been a substantial amount of threads asking for it to be made available in some way for the people who didn't get it for whatever reasons and drat if those threads aren't a magnet for the longtime subscriber crowd who takes the sub gifts as Serious Business to act like even making it available on the Cartel Market would cause massive unsubbing, the shutdown of the game and the complete collapse of the Star Wars franchise . I figure the accusations of because all those whiny entitled have nots complained about daring to want what they didn't have took away content development resources for the game so these unworthy could have a new Party Jawa should be glorious with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I swear, with how serious some of the long time subscribers take the sub gifts, I really wouldn't be surprised to see a post telling someone who's sub lapsed during a tragic death in the family or a near death hospitalization that it's all their fault they let their sub lapse because they should've put the game first.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

So I got this game when it first came out, got the pre order special edition and everything after playing the early access beta and all (it was a lot of fun at first glance) then it came out and I played a bit more with a friend, until they played more than me and leveled past me making grouping up pretty much just annoying/useless to them and we all sort of lost interested (them having I guess no EndGame stuff, and me getting busy with other stuff and having to solo grind before it looks like they made that easier to do).

If a trailer can get me interested again, and now looks like a good a time as any to get back into the game for a bit, (was going to do that Amazon starter kit), should I just delete my old chars and roll a new one or so to do the LvD stuff as well as run through the story.

And with the LvD stuff (that XP armor sounds great) do I have enough time to casually grind the requirements for that out while going through a characters story, or should I focus on getting all that done as fast as possible, then go back through the story another time only after I have said armor?

Have been hankering to get into an MMO again for reasons I cannot understand (I don't really have a lot of free time, energy, etc, but I just... Want to?) and outside of the work EVE takes to get into, TOR seems like the best bet with the expansion coming up.

For me, I did the DvL event on two servers and when all was said and done, made it to Eternal level. As I started during summer when the event started, I had a good chunk of it knocked out quick with the only part taking long was the Flashpoint Expert one because I was twomanning it with a guildie who's available time wasn't as much as mine. With the XP boost going on, and all the other XP bonuses like the DvL armor and the token rewards, I think it's still pretty doable to knock out up to Eternal level with maybe the tactical flashpoints being time consuming if you don't have others on hand to run it with you.

Not sure if this guide's still helpful but I used it when I was running the event. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=886350

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Going from Dromond Kaas chat on JC a few minutes ago, the way some are carrying on about this Command Crate thing is as if they just announced the servers are shutting down this week. Christ, for as much as I do really like the changes they've made to the game to the point I'm contentedly subbing now, I swear the community here is completely clueless to how much MMO gaming has changed over the years especially with the demographics of who's actually playing now and what they're interested in.

But then what do I know as I'm one of those feeelthy casuals who enjoys having the option to solo stuff instead of hoping to get a group that's not full of smacktards and doesn't think all the game's ills started with the introduction of f2p/preferred and the cartel market.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Y'know, I was a bit miffed at the gearing changes, but now I love it. The salty goodness on Reddit and the official forums is just delicious.

I have yet to get over to the whining on Reddit, but the treating the gearing changes like it's a sign of the Apocalypse is priceless. I've already seen the arguments go from 'how dare those have-nots that I refuse to explain boss fights to have the chance to get raid gear that isn't from a raid' to 'removing expertise from PvP gear will kill PvP' to 'what do you mean that gear mods will cost credits instead of crystals' and my all time favorite 'you're punishing the veteran players to cater to the casuals'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Since we're talking old MMOs, what was the allure around Star Wars Galaxies? I didn't start playing MMOs until DDO and my frame of reference has been WoW, LOTRO, Secret World and SWTOR. From how people in SWTOR wax nostalgic about SWG, it sounds as if it was more like Secret Life with a Star Wars skin. What was the big deal with SWG? Was it just that point in time of something Star Wars combined with MMO or something more?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

I hope they don't delete the flag. I need it as a badge of shame for my "It's too loving hot out I'm staying inside all summer" disaster of a year. :D

For me it'll be "Here's the reminder of all you did that summer because you tripped over and landed like a spastic water ox and took months to heal right to be able to not Torgo walk anymore".

Though now I wonder if they'll do other similarly special iconned events and drat if I'll get it into my head about collecting event markers on toons.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aleth posted:

The only reason he does the OP is so he can get his referral code in it.

And I probably clicked it at some point too.

The SWTOR forums are still bewailing the upcoming changes like it's a sign of the Apocalypse. I'm finding it amusing that for how the forums there have considered the f2p/preferred crowd as a worthless bunch of entitled freeloaders who are the reason the credit sellers have a market in game, now they're all whining about these changes will effect the f2p/preferreds from being able to raid. My favorite complaint so far is still the "But...but....end game gear has to come from downing a raid boss or it has no meaning" one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Trast posted:

Agent is the best story. Light Side Sith Warrior is the best Star Wars story. Then the Dark Side Inquisitor is also extremely enjoyable due to the voice actress killing it.

While the voice actress does amazing for a DS Inquisitor, there is something to be said for doing a LS Inquisitor. Each time you're called out on a light side choice, you get to fling up the Sith code's points about victory and freedom.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been watching playthroughs of Knights of the Fallen Empire and I'm loving the ones with a non-force user for the fact that in the not!Dagobah chapter, the masters of the Light and Dark Side of the Force help you build a loving gun, which you use to pistol whip and shoot Arcann to near death in the final battle.

When my Trooper went through that part, I kept imagining her humming the "I'm gonna whip somebody's rear end" song while working.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

It's really just SCORPIO. Kaliyo is just along for the ride and has no personal quarrel with you. Lokin may have an exit strategy and a plan for the eventuality that you betray him, but other than that he's always chummy. Temple is completely loyal.

Going from some of the recent posts in the "When are the rest of the companions returning?" threads, there's a growing sentiment that they probably aren't so whoever's come back already, that's it. Only evidence to back this is Bioware's not saying anything when asked, even a vague "you'll see some familiar faces returning", that KotFT credits aren't listed in the assorted voice actors IMDB pages, apparently nothing's shown up on any of the datamining done and the nine chapters coming out are all that's left of the storyline, and anything said before about companions returning in general could be pointed at that terminal on Odessen with that technically counting.

I can't see it happening if only with how what happened with SCORPIO went over like a lead balloon, I can only imagine the forums rioting if it happened again with several companions all at once.

Granted that the SWTOR forums do tend to the "we're all doooOOOooooomed" sentiment and when nothing official's said everyone starts assuming the worst, but if it is the case, it's pretty sucky.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

This is a very confusing post and I don't see what it has to do with the general attitude of the regular companions toward the Agent. I mean I suppose SCORPIO betrays the Outlander, who might happen to be an Agent, but she doesn't specifically set out to murder them in KOtFE - they're just in her way, as it were.

More in like it kinda makes it moot for some if they're not coming back.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

dreffen posted:

Here's a dumb question: Can you stack that DvL XP bonus armor, and an XP boost with the 2x XP bonus?

Yes and it's glorious.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

For how much Legacy gear I have, I wish they'd have a special storage for it or be able to toss it all into Collections just to let us free up more storage space.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, its not even really a close call.

Early on Dark Side was ahead which was probably everyone knocking out the DS5 part of the Legendary level of the event, but after that Light Side's been steadily ahead. SWTOR forums were funny with those who kept choosing DS for all thier toons getting mad at the likelihood no matter how many DS choices they took, they'd still be getting the Chiss Jedi.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

I'm curious, after all the fuss, how many people were actually using those? Not that I'm saying it's good for them to go away, just I've always been subbed when I've been playing the game so I don't really have a frame of reference of what its like trying to do endgame stuff while preferred or hell, even f2p (seems like more trouble than worth for just $15/mo.)

I've wondered that myself. I've never seen them on the GTN at a price someone f2p or preferred could afford with the credit caps they have, and going from how some on the SWTOR forums are talking, the subs buy the pass tokens and throw them in their guild banks for the f2p/preferreds to use. But considering the other restrictions they have with gear, I've wondered if it was even worth it to attempt endgame stuff when f2p/preferred.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Max of 2 million credits per character though, so look at that. My Sorc is WAY over due to WZ comms.

Reading the SWTOR forums thread about the conversion, there's some that have enough WZ comms that with the conversion cap, they're looking at losing at least 10 million credits easy.

I wish we knew what the Odessen gifts vendor's prices are going to be in credits to help figure out if it'd be worth it to sit on what I've got or blow it all on gifts since I'm not at the max crystal cap on any of my characters.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

:siren: LET'S DO A CONTEST!!!! :siren:

In honor of Halloween, let's do a costume contest! Between now and say, next Sunday 11/6, post a picture of you in your best costume! It can be scary! It can be creepy! It can be sexy! Bonus points for environmental costumes!

We'll either judge them or do random drawings depending on the number of entries. First prize will be a Senya's Lightsaber Pike donated by Non-Entity, and there are a bunch of other nice things in the guild bank to give away.

Do I have to be in the goon guild to participate or no?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Well it would be preferred. Why AREN'T you in the goon guild???

In all honesty, depending on when I first learned there was a steady goon guild on JC, I either had lovely luck getting in touch with someone for an invite or because I'm one of *those* types who while I might not raid, do like to actually be a contributing member to the guild to the best of my ability and felt that I'd drop the ball on that part at the time for whatever reason and be doing the guild a disservice. My track record with the STO goon guild goes from contributing like a madwoman to not logging in for ages with I think my current record being 10 months absent.

I am in the Retsupurae guild the Let's Play group set up on Harbinger, and I did set up a more of a shared personal bank type guild with my fiance on JC. I do have unguilded characters on both factions on JC to join either or both goon guilds.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Dude, That's No Goon and Goon Squad are 100% a social guild (and not even that social). If you're unguilded, definitely ask one of us to invite you up. We don't do anything even remotely challenging like hard mode raiding or ranked PvP or conquest - it's laid back and essentially just an IRC channel for goons playing Star Wars.

Okay. I'll start getting characters in the guilds. Talking it over with my fiance, we really don't use our private guild bank anymore since we have Legacy storage now.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Hope you got a lot of money. It's like 200 million right now. :D

The question is will it sell at that price. It does make me wonder what's the most anything's ever sold for on the GTN.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Doubt it will, but so far it's the only one on the GTN. Crazy.

I'm not sure on the drop odds for it, but going from the posts on the official forums, there's people buying 3-4 hypercrates at a go and not seeing a single pike. Lot of people are clamoring for it or a version of it to be cartel market only.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I couldn't decide which one looked better so here's a couple of my Sorcerer trying to do the Hellraiser Cenobite look.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

You're tempting my inner addiction of playing pretty princess dress up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

It's occurred to me that the video I made is cheating a bit, given that it shows multiple outfits, so in the name of fairness I've decided to choose just one costume as my entry. After some hmm-ing and ahh-ing, giving due consideration to my Brogent and Happy He-Man outfits, I've decided to settle on this one instead:

It's admittedly a little less creative than the other two, but I'm just PRETTY AS A PONY.

I have to ask, but what outfit is that and where did you get it. I think I want one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

You can't. Lana is by all appearances and quest dialogue the one actually running the alliance. :v:

According to the SWTOR forums rumor mill, Lana is the dev favorite just like Liara and Leliana were.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure I buy that. If I had to point to anyone as a dev favorite it would be some combination of Senya, Valkorion, Arcann, or Vaylin.

Lana to me reads more like Hackett, Anderson, or Solas - she's the one giving orders and coming up with ideas while the PC is increasingly relegated to "hey, go do this totally badass thing" rather than being a driving force in the plot in their own right or otherwise taking the initiative themselves, a tendency of Bioware's that's been growing in their last several outings between ME3, DA2/I, and the TOR expansions.

I write it off as "It's the SWTOR forums". A Special Place where one can read things like:

1) When the Stivsen fight bug cropped up in Depths of Manaan, there were people seriously insisting the fight wasn't bugged, it was just bad players who only spam their basic attack not getting the achievement ding for killing him.
2) All the games woes like credit sellers started with introducing f2p. Before then it was a happy Golden Age where everything was perfect with the game.
3) The game would completely collapse if they dared even look at revising the restrictions for preferred/f2p and subs would all quit if any of their sub bonuses that most don't even bother with anymore were made available in any form to anyone who didn't qualify for them the first time because the exclusivity is apparently the only thing keeping subs.

I swear at times it feels a bit like the old Bioware forums and I half expect someone to do a post explaining what DS Jaesa's sweat tastes like.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gasoline posted:

Eh, Koth magically returns with no explanation whatsoever just to poo poo all over the player, like a 'gently caress you' to everyone that didn't like him.

As for Arcann, it seems you'll be able to redeem him and make him a companion, an admittedly cool choice that you apparently only get with him, because I guess we're supposed to enjoy whiny incompetent dudes. This is obviously from datamining posts on reddit, so maybe it'll be different.

From what I've skimmed on the datamining sites I've been reading, that'll only be possible if you didn't take one or both options to kill him already. Granted, things can change or the datamining's off, but who knows.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

This is the first I've heard of anyone really not liking Lana so I guess Bioware must be doing something right.

The SWTOR forums so far has been the only place I've seen any dislike of Lana in. Everywhere else, the closest I've seen is a 'meh'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Grog posted:

Oh, okay. That's good to know, then. Thanks. I just thought a bunch of them are "tactical" only and required an actual group to complete. At least, that's kind of how it seemed for the one tactical flashpoint I tried entering recently.

For the tacticals I needed, my fiance and I just two-manned them. Other than the occasional tough spot it was doable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

New trailer from KOTET. Valykorian gets me wet, not gonna lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHg7rqwKFw

I still miss Doug Bradley voicing the Emperor.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

The thing I really like about the pike vs the regular dualsabers is that the holster point is on the back rather than the hip. Most of the dualsabers are so long that when they holster they nearly touch the ground.

I found it really noticeable with the taller body types. One of my favorites is the Descendant's Heirloom saber/dualsaber and with the gold ornamentation on the ends, it practically goes to the ground.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Dely Apple posted:

Dressup is love, dressup is life.

Also GEISHABOT, my idea for a cybernetic evil tea-server murder stealthbot. Worth the millions of credits of design, unappreciated by the locals who had to die.

Dressup is the endgame that never ends!

So I ask, what cybernetic set is that? I think it might look good with a few things I have.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

araeris posted:

I found that the most reliable way to stay alive as a healer in PvP, beyond skill (which is not something I possess much of), is to make myself look like some kind of nihilistic murder bot:

What armor is that?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Dely Apple posted:

Beaten to the draw, but yeah. Kingpin's Blaster is love, Kingpin's Blaster is life. The color crystal changes the drum mag's swirling light too!

That blaster's the only reason I hope they someday bring back the nightlife event just so I can try for it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

:siren::siren::siren: AND THE WINNERS OF THE GOONOWEEN COSTUME CONTEST ARE :siren::siren::siren:

1st place - Sombrerotron. High effort video with a hilarious costume. Well done!

2nd place - Chickenwalker. Again, well done entry and who doesn't love Zapp Brannigan?

3rd place - Dely Apple. Just looks good!

We also decided to give a 4th place prize to Aleth since he was gung ho about the contest and posted constantly.

So - Winners may post here what item they want from the Oedzi Memorial tab in the guild bank. Assumption is that Sombrerotron wants the Pike, but there's plenty of other items to choose from for 2-4! Only off limits items are the Flagship parts, everything else is fair game. There are a few droid/beast companions, a Rakghoul weapon tuning, a few armor sets. Post which one you'd like and I'll send it to you - obviously first pick is 1st place, 2nd is 2nd place, etc.

After the 4 have made their choices I'll see what's left and randomly give away a few leftover items to the other people that participated. :)

Congratulations to those who placed. Those were some great costumes to go up against. :)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

edit: I can't figure Kaliyo out. One minute she disapproves of me flirting with another woman, the next she disapproves of me turning down a chance to jump the bones of a married cougar.

Simply stated, she's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

nonentity posted:

Also, these are my gifts to you...

I hope you enjoy that walker though, I worked hard on that one.

And I'm looking very forward to that walker when it comes. But then, most if not all the stuff you've made I end up going for because it's awesome.

• Locked thread