Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

boneration posted:

What's the most braindead, fewest buttons spec there is? I tried the dual saber Jedi a while back and god drat that was some john madden poo poo. I am not a clever or coordinated man.

My Jedi Shadow rotation is hitting Qyzen's attack button and waiting till I can go into stealth again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Both the strip and trailer wildly misrepresent the game.

Also neither are funny.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What's the point in being way ahead of the curve?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
MMOs aren't nearly complex enough to require shedloads of buttons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

This is one of the down sides of the simpler/faster leveling. You gain levels so quickly and you don't have to train most abilities that you'll miss ones that are in your class tree. I'm pretty sure the instant-cast chain lightning is from one of these:

I find it extremely educational to look at it once in a while and mouse over each ability so that I actually have more of a clue as to what's going on.

Even with slower leveling it's a really poor way of communicating to players what their stuff does.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

There are tons of in game tutorials, and the skill trees explicitly explain the perks. They even made it so if a skill is buffed it flashes and is highlighted.

What more would you like to see?

Not obfuscating that information through unsorted lists of abilities that are spread between 4 or 5 different tabs would be a start. Tooltips that show all the effects rather than a small, unmodified selection would also help.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular chapter 3 makes up for its dumb plot by having lots of cool aliens that talk funny.

Voss is a chill planet and still my favourite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuzz posted:

You're insane, because Voss is painful and terrible.

The Voss are just strange enough to appear borderline interesting, and their planet is full of savages that are actively up to no good (and monsters fitted with robot arms) so killing them more is morally palatable than it is the Empire technicians/mine workers, and "gangsters" who are minding their own business in the poor parts of town.

It also looks nice and everything feels pretty close together.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
First I find out I should be killing Esh Kha, now this...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's almost funny how low-budget the consular story is. There's all these ships and troops and stuff, always hiding conveniently off-screen. It's like a mid-season episode of Stargate Atlantis.

It's also insanely buggy. The Rift alliance members all either a) float 4 feet above their chairs b) clip through copies of themselves when they move or c) have a very small heads. Plus they all have swords except Nadia who had a lightsaber that she aimed like a gun.

They had time to model otter people for a couple of scenes on Corellia, but couldn't fix any of that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've just hit 54 on finishing the consular class story with only preferred status, not having done any flashpoints or heroics, barely touching planetary/sidequests, no fancy xp armour, and stealthing past 90% of fights.

So it probably doesn't matter which you pick.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there an essential chain leading from the end of class story chapters to KOTFE?

e.g. I remember Makeb being pointless garbage that should be skipped.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think I got halfway through it when I first played the game and it made me quit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not all of that is essential, and the parts I played were bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I find his voice unpleasant and his attitude towards Wookiee-hunting to be disgusting.

It's annoying when you can't meaningfully call out companions for their reprehensible poo poo.

I'm not one for wanton murder in videogames but Qyzen crosses my personal line. The galaxy would be better off without him.

The questline where you have to hunt down a wookiee that's hunting down trandoshans that have been hunting down wookiees is odd.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 17, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

But who doesn't want a fine, wookie-pelt rug to compliment their lounge?

I imagine the wookiee isn't all that excited about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I picked up that dread seed questline which had a lot of digging and a level with a lot of jumping on boxes. Does it not go anywhere in the end?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Proud Christian Mom posted:

everything is worth doing once, but in the case of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, only once.

If you never want to do something again it wasn't worth doing in the first place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like you, Nadia, but I don't like like you.

Please act more professional (and stop talking about your other "job" you got through nepotism).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I feel like this will make the game more open-ended, and more RPG-like as opposed to MMO-like, which we all know is this game's strength if it has one. The feeling of steady progress is kind of key to the whole RPG experience, and I like the idea that you're not stuck at a certain tier at any point, unable to progress. I like the idea that any road you take will get you to the right place, so it's just a matter of how fast you want to go.

The main reason I walked away from FFXIV when I did was that the only meaningful method of making my numbers bigger at one point was to beat a specific boss that "pubbies" just couldn't get right. After 5 failures the spell wore off and I wondered what I was doing with my time.

Gating forward progress behind accomplishing specific difficult tasks is just bad business.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You should be able to change specs by going to the class trainer on the fleet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Crit or Alacrity?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

So I've been playing a Guardian and I really want to like it because I really like T7 and really like Kira and very much enjoy being 'good' again [my past two characters were a BH and a SI] but holy poo poo, how do people play non ranged classes in this. It feels so much slower compared to my SI, who I just threw down a lightning storm up until makeb, and killed entire groups of mobs. My two AOE moves suck and barely do a third of a normal mob's hp, my leap cooldown means I basically kill one group of mob, then have to physically run up to another, then I can jump to the third...

I really like the animation for Blade Dance, but drat I think Melee just isn't for me.

No one ever said the Light would be the easy path.

It's probably never crossed your mind that you don't have to murder everyone has it, sith?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular is better than Knight because you can stealth past all the trash.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

What site are you all going to for class build guides?

You can build?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Playing as a consular you forget how tedious combat is in this game until you get to ilum and trash imperials get their magic stealth detectors.

A simple 30 second infiltration becomes a 5 minute slog.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Whoever was in charge of making Ilum must've thought he was working on a brawler.

Is Revan better?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
KOTFE is weird. Structurally it's just very strange.

Like the one small public map in the eternal swamp. Everything else is private and then for two minutes you see a couple of other players around stealing nodes... Why there? Why then? Strange.

i don't know if I don't like it yet, but all this trash isn't a point in its favour. Let me stealth ffs, you put this feature in the game in the first place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I also missed the first twelve dialogue options asking Lana and pilot about their relationship.

They'll give me another chance to ask, right? I'd hate to miss out on that vital information.

I don't know or care who these companions are, which at least puts them a little ahead of the consular's old ones (rip).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
She's apparently sith so can't be trusted and I'll have to off her at some point.

But for now she'll capably fulfil a Qyzen-like meatshield role (alongside the painfully unfunny droid).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Well no but it's 20 seconds I haven't had to put in for the vast majority of the game.

M_Sinistrari posted:

According to the SWTOR forums rumor mill, Lana is the dev favorite just like Liara and Leliana were.

I am shocked at this revelation.

Although saying that Senya adheres closer to the traditional pet-character writing style so far ("badass" entrance, other characters telling you how special they are etc.)

KittyEmpress posted:

Jesus Christ Sass you literally have all the worst opinions.

Correction: no u, meatbag lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Arcann doesn't look like a clown to me (yet), but neither does he look particularly effective, as the game is very quick to establish that his achievements are due to a magical fleet of super ships, and they all happen off-screen.

I'm not sure what's so bad about his rule to be honest, as Lana spends more time talking about how the remnants of the Republic and Sith Empire are infighting and loving up than she does explaining Arcann's actual crimes (the Emperor the same). He is an oppressive totalitarian ruler who leaves everyone do their own thing as long as they pay their taxes. The reason to fight him currently seems to be some nebulous concept of "Freedom" (which hasn't existed for my character at any point), and personal vendetta for freezing me.

Vaylinn at least gets a couple of moments establishing power and threat on a personal level (sensing the ghost-player, ripping off a door that Lana struggled to open a few feet).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To me, Koth is a defector who constantly whines about accepting a defector onto the team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did the Knight story ages ago so I'm down with killing that Emperor. Funny thing is the current story seems pretty fine with his agenda in my head.

Just finished my "trials" on asylum (where everyone wants to die for no logical reason) and congratulations, Koth, I now hate you the least. My formerly pure and noble Jedi is now consistently picking the dialogue option that gives people the most poo poo.

I think that's character development.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh good now there's an "information broker".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lana thinks she's the boss of me.

And I guess she is because videogame but they shouldn't bash me over the head with it or let her give me a row for keeping secrets and not get a chance to argue back. Practically animated a tail tucking between my legs.

She's also a sith who doesn't do anything sith-like at all. Which would be fine but it's not been brought up in the narrative so it feels like lazy superficial "coolness" inserted because the author has a hard-on for glowing eyes. I give this a pass though because I didn't play her real introduction story so what do I know?

Senya's definitely the author pet at this point. Who else could lead the player into a deadly trap, give a doe-eyed half-apology then reveal who she is and join the crew because???

edit: Stop singing you keep putting me in needless danger.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 2, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Well that was an hour spent playing as pointless hired muscle I'm never getting back.

Why give me the option to tell Senya to stop torturing a man if she just says "But I should" and keeps on going? When I said I didn't want to play as the once-in-a-generation chosen one I didn't mean the player should have zero agency whatsoever as an alternative.

They have the ship and a bunch of special annoying snowflakes, I'm leaving them to it for a few days at least.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chickenwalker posted:

Really enjoying my Serenity Shadow so far. Thanks Medulla for the recommendation. Was always really intimidated by the reputation Shadow/Assassin had for ridiculous numbers of buttons.

Stealth and Blackout is only two buttons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did you enjoy that part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think any reasonable fan of this game would recognize that it has its pros and cons, but it's generally agreed that the story aspect is the one big selling point. It seems like every character and situation is pissing you off in some way. If you're not enjoying the story, you really would be better off just playing something else, because SWTOR is going to keep on being the same game no matter how much you play it.

At the very least, you could maybe keep this continuous stream of negativity to yourself, or find another outlet for it, cause you're fuckin' bumming people out, man.

I am not enjoying the specific part of the game I am posting about, while I am playing it. In this thread for discussion of the game. Senya sucks.

Lighten up. Criticism of parts doesn't mean the entire experience is bad. It's okay to like things, and not like things, and for these to be parts of the same things.

Having an emotional reaction to a narrative is good, and far preferable to apathy. As you say, if the story doesn't matter what's the point of playing SWTOR?

• Locked thread