Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't quite agree; the "spend 100 hours collecting space bear asses" complaint that the cartoon is making fun of is largely gone now, with the changes to leveling. People who come in expecting KOTOR 3 are practically getting it now.

They absolutely aren't. We're getting essentially a Telltale Star Wars game with MMO bits in the middle. There are no choices of consequence anywhere. All paths lead to the same conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I'll resub for that lightsaber pike. Finally I can have a Jedi Shadow or Sith Assassin that doesn't look dumb as poo poo.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Hope you got a lot of money. It's like 200 million right now. :D

Ugh.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

I've sold things for 75 million. Rare enough, sells.

Are you the one trying to sell Senya's Lightsaber for 175 million?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

....mayyyyybe.

Let me know if it sells at that price. I got one last night. 10 million + 3000 odd cartel coins worth of crates and I get one stinkin' platinum. Kind of a slap in the face they literally included a trash can decoration in this pack.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard Shadows and Assassins are incredibly difficult to play because their buttons are all over the place. How bad is Serenity Shadow comparatively, and do I have to hurl rocks around with my mind or cloak?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone wants to trade the pike for the single blade hit me up.

:cheers:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my entry for the costume contest. Someone commented on an old outfit during a raid a couple of months back, thought I'd capitalize on it for this. Hope you guys enjoy watching as much as I enjoyed making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA9t769UoM

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Really enjoying my Serenity Shadow so far. Thanks Medulla for the recommendation. Was always really intimidated by the reputation Shadow/Assassin had for ridiculous numbers of buttons.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Also, to add to this, I spent some time organizing the vaults yesterday now that they are much emptier thanks to someone taking everything they could with three different toons (oooh and he robbed the pub side guild bank as well). There are enough items in the Oedzi Memorial tab that we have prizes for pretty much anyone that participates. We'll do first place gets first choice of item (likely Senya pike) and second second choice, and so on and so forth. :) So everyone, put at least a half rear end costume together and post it!

Edit - Well Hulk Smash!, I'm still getting a fair amount for dumping my crystals into companion gifts.

I saw that dude on a lot, was he an SA guy? How did he get through our foolproof background check and who added him?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

You do a good job!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aleth posted:

Someone should probably collate all the current entries into one handy post but :effort:.

I'm assuming any character shots posted are for the contest, let me know if I've missed anyone or you don't want it up there.

Here are the screens:

Reposting the video as well so it's all in one place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA9t769UoM

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 5, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nonentity posted:

Blademaster dual saber is one of my favorites, I forget which pack it went out in.

The thing I really like about the pike vs the regular dualsabers is that the holster point is on the back rather than the hip. Most of the dualsabers are so long that when they holster they nearly touch the ground.

I think people would dig them more in general if they holstered like the pike does or if they holstered across the small of the back like I think Maul kept his. I always like your designs, but in practice it's the one thing that's kept me from having a dualsaber char up to now. Having a character run around with a 4 foot long pole hanging from their belt nearly to the ground just looks really silly to me.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My dude is supposed to be Zapp Brannigan from Futurama in case nobody watches the video. I'd put up a picture for reference but at this point :effort:.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

:siren::siren::siren: AND THE WINNERS OF THE GOONOWEEN COSTUME CONTEST ARE :siren::siren::siren:

1st place - Sombrerotron. High effort video with a hilarious costume. Well done!

2nd place - Chickenwalker. Again, well done entry and who doesn't love Zapp Brannigan?

3rd place - Dely Apple. Just looks good!

We also decided to give a 4th place prize to Aleth since he was gung ho about the contest and posted constantly.

So - Winners may post here what item they want from the Oedzi Memorial tab in the guild bank. Assumption is that Sombrerotron wants the Pike, but there's plenty of other items to choose from for 2-4! Only off limits items are the Flagship parts, everything else is fair game. There are a few droid/beast companions, a Rakghoul weapon tuning, a few armor sets. Post which one you'd like and I'll send it to you - obviously first pick is 1st place, 2nd is 2nd place, etc.

After the 4 have made their choices I'll see what's left and randomly give away a few leftover items to the other people that participated. :)

Wow guys, thanks! I'm flattered.

For my one wish I'd like Donald Trump not to actually be President. It was a funny joke, we all had a good time, let's get serious now.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you see one up for something stupid you can sometimes message the seller and make a best offer. I got mine for 105 million using that strategy when the guy had it listed for 200 million.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When are we gonna do stuff together as a family again?

I wish they'd implement cross-faction raids because I like several of my Republic characters better than their Imp equivalents now.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dalris Othaine posted:

You really don't have to do Flashpoints to get to 65 :)

You have to do them to get the full set of exp armor though if you're running DvL.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

"Prepare to claim the throne and seize your destiny"

These people really don't want to be writing an MMO do they.

Everything in that sentence runs counter to how these games work.

Sounds a lot like double entendre if you stretch just a liiiiiiiitle bit.

Edit: also I love my Smuggler and I love kicking dudes balls with my Smuggler.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Like most game writers they'd probably much rather be writing films or failing that bad tie-in novels for films (does Drew Karpyshynn still work on this game?).

edit: I had no idea how fast Troopers murder their way through levels.

Karpyshynn unfortunately came back for these expansions if I'm not mistaken. There was a lot of nice subtlety in KOTOR.

I'm sure I'm in the minority saying this but KOTOR II suffered in part from being a Chris Avellone joint. It felt like a copy paste job from Planescape Torment. And I'm saying that as a huge Obsidian fan. I think I like Josh Sawyer's work on New Vegas more than most of Avellone's stuff. Had a nice human element to it.

Anyway the SWTOR lore is kind of crap as a result of having been written by Karpyshynn. There were so many more imaginative ways to have taken the story based on what they were laying down in the first two. Instead it got reduced to a giant Revan fanfic.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

Help me I'm playing this stupid game again

Hahaha this is me.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do Serenity Shadows need to use backstabbing?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

More like, "the original VAs wanted too much money."

I feel like they lowballed a lot of the big name VAs the first outing and got really lovely performances as a result. The second stringers put in much better performances across the board I think. The weakest VAs are both Jedi, then BH, then Trooper, then (admittedly, even though a War is my main and original char) Warrior and then everyone else is pretty good. Smuggler and Agent are downright awesome. Inquisitor has some really good/funny deliveries.

David Hayter and Nolan North both sound like they straight-up don't want to be there. I've heard people say "Jedi are supposed to be emotionless!" That's not really borne out by any of the VA work for any of the other Jedi in the game. Every one of the masters is more animated and interesting than the PC, even if they are all voiced by Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum. And Jedi in the movies aren't portrayed as emotionless and wooden, except for Anakin, and that's for entirely different reasons.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Medulla, I never picked my thing for the Halloween contest. Can I have the lightning tuning that's in there?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Non-entity donated that for a new contest, but if the bulk of the guild doesn't care you can. What do you guys think? Let him have it or too sad too late? :D

Oh if it's for a new thing don't worry about it.

Just finished KOTET. I feel like they went in the right direction making choices matter more and making the game play a little more dynamic with a mix of different objectives and pacing. Still tons of annoying Skytrooper corridors. I wouldn't mind the waves of enemies as much if there was more variety in the kinds of enemies. Really shocked at how big of a difference in substance and quality there is between this set of chapters and the episodic stuff we got before. And anyone who didn't like the giant robot combat hates fun. The walkers I agree mostly sucked.

Double secret edit: I mean this is a definite improvement over the crappy storytelling of the past two installments, but it still left a ton of threads hanging. It was satisfying for the original Sith backstory of Valkorion to be acknowledged. A little perplexing as a SW to be going "DUR WHAT'S NATHEEMA." And if I remember rightly, don't they say at some point that the Emperor's original body is still alive (because they move it for protection at the end of the Jedi Knight story) and he just uses the Voices as kind of a shell game? And yeah I wanted to know what the hell was going on with the big turd in the middle of the Dark Sanctuary. The idea that a ship that came from the droid planet just happened to have a big ominous black turd floating in the middle of it that whispers when you get close doesn't seem to line up. I guess I was just hoping they'd build a better conclusion out of the pieces they'd laid down in the opening acts. The idea that the holocron just becomes a thing to use in a Freddy Kreuger dream rather than a means to trap Valkorion the same way he trapped his pops is just really perplexing and disappointing too. Can they not maintain consistency of how a piece of fictional technology works across like four chapters?

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the verdict on the new Uprisings thing? Any good?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

M_Sinistrari posted:

I agree with a lot of this. As much as they did cough up on the promise of tying up a load of threads, there's still some loose ones hanging. But for all we know those'll get taken care of in whatever they've got planned next. And I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it, but it felt that there were plenty of opportunities that they could've brought back some of the missing companions. Granted I know the actual reason's the VA strike that's still ongoing and probably budgeting issues on top of that, but drat if near the end it really felt off with Lord Scourge, Kira and Jaesa missing.

It's not just on the tauntaun mount. I'm seeing it happen on my savanna kybuck too.

Omitting Scourge and Kira was for sure a major missed opportunity. What happens if you keep Valk's Ghost Dad in the box? I have a feeling there aren't any other major revelations aside from "Valkorion's even more of a dick than you think! No, really!" Maybe he shows up in the final fight?

Still disappointed they couldn't keep to the obvious function of the Holocron as soul/mind trap and resorted to the tired trope of "battle inside the mind, and I only remember after like three 15 minute boss fights that I control reality here because it's my mind."

Thinking about it, because you only kill him in your mind rather than verifiably trapping him in a prison he can't escape, it's entirely possible that his essence just hosed off to another host in some far removed corner of the galaxy, maybe even his original host body. Just not really a satisfying ending when the only confirmation you get that the big bad's dead is from the single most fallible character in the entire expansion.

Another thing that went nowhere and ends up being retconned as a ruse: Marr and Satele's whole "new force paradigm of balance."

Is it possible to save Vaylin rather than running her through?

Really wish I had chosen Emperor rather than Peacekeeper. I figured the Emperor choice would have zero nuance and be all about kicking puppies so I went with Peacekeeper, but what I really wanted was for my SW to be a sane and benevolent dictator.

If you replay a chapter do your new choices stick?

If you think about it, it's really interesting how SoR directly mirrors and foreshadows KOTFE by having Revan create this coalition where Repubs and Imps are working in harmony to defeat the Emperor, and your dudes are like "no that's just what he wants thousands of lives!" And then you go through the trouble to defeat Revan to prevent the resurrection of the Emperor only to find out he was never dead anyway and end up making your own Repub/Imp coalition that kills millions of dudes.

:words:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't do anything with the cocoon thing in the Gravestone Dark Sanctuary. They didn't even hand wave it away...just nothing. When you go to the Dark Sanctuary to disarm the bomb I just knew it was about to go down but nope. Like Vitiate's real body is in there and you manage to pull him out of your mind and make him mortal again.

Yeah I'm almost tempted to tweet to the writers and ask if it's something that had to be cut for time, because the momentum of the chapter definitely made it feel like it was going to be addressed.

Now that I've completed probably the only big content release for 6 months or more, what's there to do? Are they saying they're going to be dripping out little bits of multiplayer stuff throughout the year or what?

And I can definitely see how they would progress the single player stuff from here, but I feel like it's going to require an approach like Mass Effect: Andromeda where it's a departure from the established myth that puts us in conflict with never-before-seen enemies. Or if we're unlucky, the loving Vong.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got to GC rank 8 tonight, nearly 9, on the strength of thinking that there were only like 15 ranks. There are 300 ranks. And what am I going to use this high-end gear for exactly once I grind out getting it? There's no more single player content and nobody wants to do anything in groups anymore.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Same. I'm dying and this idiot who I saved earlier is making jokes (or being serious, which is even worse)?

Now I have access to legacy force choke I'm going to have a hard time not using it constantly on every character.

Legacy Force Choke doesn't work like that. You don't get access to it for story stuff unless you're a SW. Same way only Inquisitor only gets [shock].

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It wouldn't be so bad if there was absolutely anything new or worthwhile to apply that gear to. What am I spending hours gearing up for? That and Jesus there are 300 levels. After a night of grinding at PvP I had hardly made it to 9.

I almost wish they'd regularly release small new story packs on the scale of some of the planetary missions or something.

I think I might finish playing the Smuggler and Consular stories and then take a break again unless they announce something new soon. Or if someone wants to start doing group PvP or raids.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

The good news is at least making a new character and running through the story again isn't that huge a time commitment. :)

Hell, if you want, you probably have at least 1 token to make a level 60 character that can immediately begin KOTFE with.

KOTFE/KOTET is one of the few games that I can say I genuinely do not want to play through ever again.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

You've hated 95% of the game thus far...what made you think it would take a total turn and become something different?

Didn't you see his name is SASSassin? He's a rude dude with tons of 'tude.

or another lovely gimmick account

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Speaking of little things you never notice, I had forgotten about this one and I bet half the people never even notice. When you are recruiting Blizz, if you give the right Jawa the welding torch he gets a buff, and when you hover over the description it's

That quest made me want to play BH just so I could have Blizz as a companion full-time. Shame you only get him relatively late in the game.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Asimo posted:

It's more that it takes a giant smug deconstructive poo poo all over the concepts and themes of the setting, better written or not.

Avellone's crap is always "look how clever I am I don't have to play by the rules of your setting." People always make a big deal about his writing but it kinda sucks.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I vastly prefer arenas to warzones because pubbies suck at objectives. I've been trying to get some dudes together on Discord to run ranked groups, anyone interested? Maybe we can do a regular time? I'd be down to Tank with my Jugg.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Yes and no. Your rotation is still pretty much the same as it always was, but they removed a bunch of abilities that you weren't supposed to be using anyway. Which sucks because I enjoyed rocket punching people with my Merc and stabbing people with my sniper every once in a while, but people though it was too complex.

I was just talking about this last night on Discord. My Gunslinger Smuggler can't kick people in the nuts anymore and it has kinda killed the enjoyment I was getting out of the Smug story. Like, they replaced it with Below The Belt, which is ranged, but it's such a short range attack it practically might as well be melee. And I'd rather kick a dude in the nuts than shoot his dick any day of the week.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

insideoutside posted:

Sorry for the double post but I have a technical question. Last night when I was playing I was getting some weird stuttering when walking - my fps stays right up around 60 the vast majority of the time, only dropping a couple fps here and there, but I still get this weird, small choppiness with the landscape when moving. After googling I see that some people are calling this "micro stutter" when there is stuttering without fps loss. My system should be just fine to run this game (6th gen i7, 16gb ddr4 ram, gtx970, ssd) and even when lowering settings from ultra down to lower settings the stutter is present. The only thing that helps a bit is to turn off shadows but I am not about to play a game with no shadows when I know my computer is able to and it looks like rear end without them. I need to run through some of the suggestions I read about (run windows xp sp3 compatibility mode, change farclip setting in the settings file, run a memory cleaner...) tonight after my kid goes to sleep, but does anyone here have any advice?

Would be interested to know this as well. It doesn't affect me terribly but it'd be great to get rid of it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

inflatable fish posted:

windowed fullscreen is the only proper way to play SWTOR anyway, as it gets rid of that annoying loading screen when alt-tabbing.

e: my framerate goes up by ca 20 fps in windowed fullscreen too, for some reason...

I've noticed textures load slower for me in windowed fullscreen though, seemingly. It's particularly evident in the containers in the Cartel Bazaar Hangar right in front of the quick-travel load point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

Hi, I'm here. No, I hadn't been tracking anything because, as you've since discovered, it's a matter of a few seconds to run around and see what's still locked.

See??? I've complained about that every time I had to give someone a key. It's not that I didn't want to, it's just that I knew it would waste about thirty minutes of my time for no reason. If it helps any (IT DOESN'T), the order seems to be the order in which the character joined the guild. Hence why no one will recognize any of the names on that first page you posted. I mean, I guess you could cross-reference with your spreadsheet of guild members sorted by tenure. You've got one of those, right?

This post has too much sodium and may negatively impact your blood pressure.

• Locked thread