Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nerd Of Prey posted:

What I can't figure out in all this is why it is wrong or bad for writers to like the characters they write or try to make them interesting. Like what exactly is the alternative, everybody is bland and lovely and the player character is the only special person in the universe? Isn't that exactly what makes a lot of other video game writing bad? Am I seeing this right, that people are literally angry about a character getting a cool entrance?

Play through Makeb again and tell me how cool and engaging it was to have a bland and forgettable supporting cast.

I liked the lady on the Imperial side who was your support person. And then they killed her. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grog posted:

Oh, okay. That's good to know, then. Thanks. I just thought a bunch of them are "tactical" only and required an actual group to complete. At least, that's kind of how it seemed for the one tactical flashpoint I tried entering recently.

It is surprisingly easy to queue up for whichever non-storymode flashpoints you need to do (they don't all have solo/story modes) and complete them with a group of randoms. Sure, sometimes it will be a mess that can't get past the first set of enemies, but it's definitely better than fifty-fifty that you'll get the flashpoint done.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bagrada posted:

It looks like two of the flashpoints you have to do are for the opposite faction too, so even if you just want the gear and not the companion you will still need a DvL char on both sides.

This is true; I filed a help ticket asking about it and they said "yes you gotta do that one too".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

PvP gear and PvE gear is being merged. Expertise is removed.

All endgame gear (with set bonus) comes from Galactic Command boxes that you earn beginning at 70. You gain Galactic Command experience by doing a range of activities, PvP, operations, Heroics, dailies, etc.

Will there still be bolstering in PVP?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aleth posted:

The only thing I ever check in the guild bank is conquest encryptions when I'm turning those in - did we actually have anything of value in any of the public tabs or was it just trash like most goon banks fill with?

Sometimes it's trash arranged into letters or symbols.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dely Apple posted:

Dressup is love, dressup is life.

I guess I'll pick a random tab and screenshot and

That gun -- what is it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

The basic attack should be more powerful for every class imo. With the lightsaber classes it has some of the most varied and contextual animation in the game, but it's relatively useless as an action. Seems like a waste.

The basic attacks are so good, and usually do multiple different animations when you kill an enemy with them. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittyEmpress posted:

Non-Entity, a weird question [or at least weird in my head] - is it any harder to design armors knowing the dye system is in play? Do you play around with various colors that people may dye things when you make armor sets, or do you just throw it to the wind and let people figure it out?

Possibly related: some armors have big sections that are immune to dye. Is that an intentional thing, or just an accident of history and technology? (I'm blanking on examples, but I'll think of a few once I log in tonight. :shobon:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Isn't it the SIS that's mind-controlling me?

You don't want this answered yet. Keep playing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McSpanky posted:

Is there an armor set that's just the IA's costume from the character creator? That's pretty fly for an Imperial guy.

Yes, I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it's available in the Cartel Market.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nerd Of Prey posted:

As long as you're playing imperial-side, there are a ton of outfits using variations of the same model that are random drops, quest rewards or crafted items, maybe even vendor gear, so it's not necessary to drop hutt bux to approximate that look. There are a few little details specific to the cartel market version, and it's certainly a simple way to get it, but you will be able to slap together a good Imperial uniform without breaking the bank.

Here's the TOR Fashion page for the cartel set. Check the section at the bottom for similar items. I don't even think that's a comprehensive list, because I know there are versions with less armor plating around the collar and other differences. The dye system makes it a lot easier to get the look you want.

"Clandestine Officer" -- now I remember. Thanks. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bagrada posted:

Also chapter 13 or whichever was the heist restored my faith in this game and made me glad I came back for this event. I previously had stopped after opening up odessen. Spewy...

I don't know why the Sith Warrior would ever want to use a non-Vette companion. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dreffen posted:

Also I'd love to do some HM runs with you guys because that'd be fun!

Weird question: You can drop a crew skill after you hit 550 on it for DvL right? And it won't, like, wipe the progress for the achievement?

I am 99.44% certain that you can drop the skill safely.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Also useful to know: LS/DS points from Diplomacy will allow you to get to rank 5 for the achievement, but they don't count for the event, so you can pile up DS points with Diplomacy and hit rank 5 without feeling guilty.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dreffen posted:

Is it worth it to organize a plague circle to kill each other for DvL?

If you have the bracelet that lets you go upstairs on the fleet, you can walk along the edge up there and jump down on people who've just used their fleet passes. First time I tried it, I got all five I needed. (Haven't gotten that lucky since, though.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does the 200% XP bonus thing end on the 29th as well? If that happens then I will probably give the game up totally once again even before my sub expires because I just don't have time to grind old school MMO style, like, ever it seems.

Calm down. Even without double XP, it is incredibly easy to level quickly. You won't have to grind.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

And one absolutely has to be a sassmouth to Baras. It's like the whipped cream and cherry on the sundae of the Warrior storyline.

I always have Vette with me, and she loves it when I sass Baras. And I love it, too. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

It looks like it runs till Christmas.

I hate Sith Warrior Chapter 3. It's garbage.

Even the parts with Cool Uncle Vowrawn?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

(the closest is Vette, a space pirate/thief I spent a good portion of the game electrocuting).

:mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I'm not an MMO player. I'm a person playing a videogame for a story.

When the game wants me to do things that make its story worse (like two concurrent and unrelated race-against-time missions) that's grounds for a quick rant on my favourite troll-free forums.

There are a few places where you'll get two "hurry up and do this" missions at about the same time. I think they usually involve companion quests.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The worst part is how much of this poo poo you can't actually stealth by

That really bugged me with my Agent. It was me and Kaliyo, back together again, sneaking around bad guys and -- wait, why am I in combat? I'm invisible! :qq:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Sages are invincible now in pvp this is the best update ever, I am unkillable. My outgoing heals suck though

What, just now?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:ssh: I was just pointing out that they were invulnerable before.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aleth posted:

Standard sub access to KotET starts in an hour or so, no downtime supposedly. Also Saturday maintenance tomorrow!

I kind of wish early access included at least one weekend day. But I'm not so greedy that I would demand it. Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow. :neckbeard:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Sheesh you should have subscribed earlier, you pauper. Why don't you go down to the homeless shelter and get some breakfast.

I was subscribed and qualified for early access; I just didn't have the spare time before tomorrow. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Things I did not enjoy: walker combat. I'm just not good at that kind of thing, and always end up getting shot way more than I should. Also, I'm practically unable to move anywhere without some amount of "strafing", and the walkers couldn't do that. :saddowns:

Things I loved way out of proportion: the bonus-quest binoculars in the temple on DK, and the adventure game that happened while you were sneaking around during Vaylin's party. And I could have spent a lot more time clicking on corrupted memories and that kind of thing when you're pretending to be Valkorion towards the end. It felt kinda like the story quests in The Secret World. Particularly "The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn".

Things I was not expecting: I knew they would try to make me feel sympathetic towards Arcann and even Vaylin, but I didn't think they'd actually do a good job of it. And I liked Scorpio's robo-homeworld. Hope we get to return at some point. (What is the connection between the organic thing in the Dark Sanctuary and the similarly-shaped technoliths on Iokath?) And I had not realized just how much I relied on Master Strike/Blade Dance -- now that it's gone, I didn't have any button I could push to get a couple seconds' worth of breathing room. And I felt bad about Torian, which is a victory for the writers, because I never liked him before.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Did you not see the KOTFE cinematic trailer with Arcann & his brother in it?

Yeah, but that didn't make me like Arcann. He seemed distinctly villainous.

sassassin posted:

Inquisitor

Wow that was quite the non-ending to chapter two.

It gets better.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

You have to embrace your destiny.

Thou must.

Have you embraced it yet?

I was working on embracing it, but now the servers are going down for maintenance.

TIL that the voice actress for Vaylin is also the voice actress for the advisor in Civilization VI. :monocle:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Luckily since 4.0 Heroic Moment has a super short cooldown and a long duration (assuming you've done all 8 stories) that you can use it all the time. :)

I think it's a three-minute cooldown and a two-minute duration.

I really ought to have it on all the time (it heals you and your companion), but usually forget. I did use it on Vaylin, though. And some space robots.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Why do I have three Juggernauts and no Marauders? What is wrong with my thinking? I just found a red-black crystal, so I need to create a new character with one red-black and one black-red. :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

The actual dailies are pretty easy, but the currency you use to get the Gree items only drops from the Heroic mission and killing the Ops boss, Xenoanalyst. So if you need reputation, do all the dailies. But really you should focus on killing Xeno with as many toons as possible - the bad news for him is you technically need (I believe) Newcomer reputation to get into the area he's located. This can be bypassed if a member of the ops group can flagship summon you to him.

You can also get the Gree currency by doing the (once per character) mission where you go to a half-dozen different planets to kill Gree droids and talk to other Gree droids.

edit: "Ancient Gree Relays", it's called.

http://dulfy.net/2013/02/12/swtor-relics-of-the-gree-event-guide/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Still more efficient to get as many Xeno kills in on as many toons as you can in a week. :)

The offhands are either 8 or 6 of the tokens, the Gree main hands are 24 tokens I believe. I actually really like the Gree lightsabers, have special techno effects which is neato.

Greesabers are awesome, and they also have slightly longer blades than other lightsabers. If they could go in collections, I'd use them everywhere.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Hmm it was max level only normally, I suspect 65 still for this round.

In other news, there's a big that allows you to repeat Heroics daily right now. Bioware says it will be fixed next week, but they're not going to consider it an exploit so have fun repeating!

Do they still have the old-style conquest things where you get points for running heroics?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I still regret the choice my IA made at the end of chapter 2. I let anger get the best of me. :sigh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Strudel Man posted:

Uh. Imperial Agent chapter 2: Am I supposed to understand anything about how I just got mind-controlled? Like, there were no visible devices, no apparent interval of hypnosis or whatever, he just said a few generic words and suddenly a person he just met is under total control? Is that how that works? Did I miss something?

I mean I picked "that's impossible" and said something about how this technology doesn't exist, but I didn't even see any technology.

It will be explained to you, and I think they do a pretty good job of it, even linking it to other missions you've done.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Strudel Man posted:

Okay. I mean I guess I figured they'd have to do something more of an explanation when it's inevitably eventually broken, but it sure was skimmed over right there at the beginning...thought I might have accidentally skipped past a line or something.

Nope, it's supposed to feel like it came out of nowhere. You haven't missed anything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah it was very well done, left me feeling legitimately pissed and ready to murder those involved.

No kidding. It caused me to give in to the dark side. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trast posted:

Haven't played in awhile but now that the new expansion is out I have a single important question. Does Elara Dorne come back in any fashion? I need my fix of prim and proper British Space Medic.

No old companions return in the expansion. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The squatting animation should conclude with the character firing themselves into the side of Jabba's barge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Thanaton isn't fit to polish the inside of Baras' mask and good lord did he take an age to die... and I didn't even get to kill him. Thanks Darth Mortis.

I laughed out loud when that happened and someone else (Marr?) was all "was that really necessary?"

• Locked thread