Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder, is there any way to tie this contest into raid participation? Like, everyone who shows up for a preplanned raid night gets entered into a raffle for a prize(s), and the MVP (maybe that's tied to parses) gets the grand prize? And on the off chance there's more participants than room in the group (lol) then everyone who showed up on the night still gets into the raffle, even if they couldn't get into the actual raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aleth posted:

Complicated because you have tanks and healers who will parse differently from dps, and then what's a good time for everyone to raid? Difficult to arrange a time to suit everyone's timezones.

True, yeah. I'm just thinking that with the buzz around the new raid, now would be the time to bribe people into showing up with the promise of a reward. MVP wouldn't necessarily have to be tied to parses, could just be a group vote on who was the star of the day or...I dunno

I'm backseat contest adminning, and as someone who's probably not going to participate anyway I should probably stop

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It could be anyone under that mask...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I dunno, this thread moves pretty fast

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What on earth

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still don't understand why PVP has gear advantages at all. I feel like someone who invested the 200 hours or whatever of PVP grinding necessary to get the BiS gear doesn't really need any additional advantages over less experienced players...if anything, it makes a way less fun experience for both players. If you paid me to make PVP in an MMO, which I recognize nobody in their right mind would, my philosophy would be that everyone should be on an equal footing, stat-wise, forever, and only player skill and teamwork should matter. Better players shouldn't be rewarded with gear that gives them an even bigger advantage over people who have less experience.

If you want to make a loot treadmill, make it either cosmetic, or create a system where different gear sets give you different, but not necessarily better, skills to use. I mean, lol at balancing that second idea, but on paper it makes sense at least

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

Behold, the Fist of the Death Star!

I am very bad at this.

the parse says zero, but I think your abs look great

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

He's a troll, ignore him.

he literally registered an account to be mean in this thread and is almost definitely dark juno

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Should be noted my name got changed from Sun Wu Kampf to ISIS CURES TROONS :v:

That's a....fun name

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

My sorry attempt at trying to do CZ-198 via Group finder with a level 70 Merc who was set as healer but literally asked in chat if he, "heals by shooting bullets." :stonk:

(I still don't understand what a lot of poo poo on this parse tool even means)

In his defense, that used to be something healer Mercs could do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I still can't believe they got rid of HEALING LASERS, the coolest thing ever.

It was obnoxious and nonsensical and wonderful and if Dark Juno were intense about that instead of tracer missile, I'd die on that hill alongside him

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

So it looks like they're "discussing" adding weapons to outfit designer!

Wanted this more than pretty much anything so we can use Nonentity's toys and still share legacy weapons.

It's honestly crazy that we couldn't do this from the beginning.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's also good to level a character up from 1 at least once just to get a feel for how the abilities go. It's not as bad as it used to be, but trying to learn an endgame rotation all at once with no experience is rougher than it needs to be.

And as said, the class stories are probably the best thing this game has going for it compared to all the other MMOs, and you level crazy fast now even without double xp, so there's no reason to skip that stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HebrewMagic posted:

You owe it to yourself to experience the Bounty Hunter story

That's a minority opinion, I think. The question of which class has the best story is subjective of course, and it comes up often enough that some people are sick of it but the best answer is agent and everyone agrees and anyone who says otherwise is trying to trick you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Agent shouldn't be played as a first character if only because his/her storyline come chronologically at the end of all the class storylines, so it really brings all that stuff to a head along with having the most variety and choose in endings.

Playing it first will spoil all the other storylines.

I'd agree with that yeah. At least play warrior or inquisitor first so that you can appreciate the new perspective of sith politics that you get from the agent POV.

I would also say to make sure that you do sith warrior (and maybe inquisitor too) before Jedi knight because there's something in the JK story that'll make you feel real dumb in the warrior story and it helps if you don't know about it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trooper would have been cool if they did more to make you feel like you're part of this grand army/fleet that the republic apparently has. But instead, with limited exception, every mission is you and a friend taking on the empire by yourself, just like every other class.

It'd have been better if they had more set piece missions like the finale, where other forces are doing things alongside you, but I guess that's hard or whatever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Somebody here said the voice actor was recovering from some kind of dental surgery and bioware made him record a bunch of stuff anyway.

Did any of that stuff get re-recorded later? I haven't played my male bounty hunter in a while.

Dunno if it got re-recorded, but he's back to his usual voice in the KOTFE/KOTET content. It's mostly in the dread master content where he's inexplicably got a lisp IIRC.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Counterpoint: vengeance's unique smash animation is cool as hell

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my one big "complaint" about vengeance is that one of its key mechanics (applying all 3 dots and then spreading them with smash) is almost impossible to practice on most Solo content because most mobs die before you can get the third dot up. So it's just something to keep in mind for when you fight groups of enemies in group content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mean it's not a huge deal; the "problem" is that you're so big and strong you kill stuff too quickly to do your full rotation, it's just that it'll be a little trickier to build your muscle memory.

But really just play whatever's fun

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Immortal is viable DPS past 26 as well.

Backhanding chumps never gets old.

Backhanding owns and is almost worth the dps loss to solo as immortal

Fortunately every spec gets force choke, the other best move.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah Crushing Blow will one-shot Standard enemies. I Tank SM Ops and Master FP's in my skank tank gear (War Leader armorings and shield, everything else DPS), it's just faster and I don't have to respec.

Force Push is my second favorite move but that's because it's so much fun in PvP. Pushing fools off edges in Voidstar and Oddessen, off cliffs in Novare, into traps in Huttball, and luring node guards out in Civil War while my people come from behind. When they realize what's going on and try to make it back to the node it's the Backhand/Force Push combo.

Push is fun in PVE* too because you can do the push > throw > leap again combo and feel like a badass. Dammit. Talking about juggernauts is making me want to resub again, they're really fun.

*solo PVE. Don't do this in groups or people will yell at you probably

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No.

Only if you plan to play seriously at endgame and want to make your own stims, augments, mods, etc. Crafting is more about saving creds than making creds. Taking Arch/Scav/Slicing will give you the most FP shortcuts.

Crew skills are also good for farming up low-effort money, if you're in need/want of that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Roadmap for 2017 posted

New stronghold "With a great ocean view"

Hm, weird to put a stronghold in a PVP map, but alright

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

"Oh, it can't be that bad, I'll go look." :stonk:

I haven't logged on since the end of KOTET but I just might to spite these people.

I have a series of screeds prepared in the event that I encounter a non cishet white male in any of the games I play. I am NOT a bigot

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nonentity please don't fix that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

saw one guy gkick a guildie for "ganking my machines",

Medullah how could you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There's an xp bonus and stuff too isn't there?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Benthalus posted:

Basically people seem to play this game until they've played through all the class storylines, maybe repeat one or two if they're really into it, then move along.

Don't you get legacy orbital strike for beating the agent story? Space lasers 4 all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

skadge

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dmboogie posted:

kinda hilarious that kaliyo ends up being one of the healthier relationships in the game, esp. since you only nominally have authority over her

She's more of an independent contractor really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Indiana Jawa and the Jawa of Doom

can't we talk about class stories instead

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Make a new raid

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We already have a raid with a coin inserting mechanic

There's no new ideas these days, i tells ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

They even gave you the option at the end of the expansion to end with a raid, or end with a solo option. If that isn't a poll of what players want to do in game than I don't know what is. :)

I feel like that's not necessarily indicative of "do you like raiding?". The choice is basically "in order to progress the story past this point, do you want to A: wrangle 8 role-appropriate friends together and bang your head against the wall figuring out a new raid or B: do a thing by yourself real quick"

I wanted to see the raid, but that was not a hard choice lol

• Locked thread