Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've started playing this (yeah it was the trailer) and I'm doing Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer. I've noticed that when I smash Force Lightning, I can then instantly cast Chain Lightning, which normally has a casting time. This mechanic is not explained anywhere I can find and if the buttons weren't next to each other on my bar I wouldn't have noticed. Is there anywhere that can give me some details about this, like what other powers have this synergy? Am I supposed to be setting up combo chains or something?

Check your skill tree - as you level up you gain passive perks. I think it's... k by default? But you can also click the icon at the top of your screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hmm. Sounds fun for the most part. So the armor you just trade to each character after you get it all as you level each one? Whats the time requirement about to get the armor in the first place on the first char? And like I mentioned, is there any reason to keep my old legacy char around ( think it was at like 40 or something) for any reason?

Keep it around unless you run out of slots and want to make a new one. You might want to get whatever class it is to max level at some point and starting at 40 is easier than starting at 1. Of course, if you wanted to replay that class's story from the beginning, you might as well make another.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Tactical FPs pop so so quickly, I knocked them all out in a couple of days. You have to do a ton of them for Shadow of Revan anyway. Hard mode flashpoints on the other hand... :suicide:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

What server are you on again? You could always transfer over to JC and i could give you a hand. :)

Red Eclipse, which I assume is in a different region to you so I couldn't transfer there. I have a guild, but everyone finished DvL months ago so won't do anything with me :v:

Biggest problem so far has been pugging operations. People ragequit after one wipe, leaving me with a lockout so I'm completely unable to group again that week.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Waldorf is some sort of foreign terrist.

Absolutely. I'm on an active (ish) guild in Europe on an English server (Red Eclipse). New players more than welcome if they want to play on the EU server but I believe the US servers are far more goon-filled.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Actually they have changed them significantly, by introducing the three difficulty tiers.

There's solo mode, which you can pretty much sleepwalk through if you just want to see the stories (and it IS possible to take a group in there if you really want to laugh off the boss fights).

There's tactical mode, which can be done at any level with a partial group, a badly-geared group, an all-DPS group, or whatever sad collection of random dudes the group finder throws at you, with clickable healing nodes for when the going gets rough.

And finally there's hard mode, if you're literally a masochist and you don't value your time or sanity.

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints, if only because you'll never get a healer or tank. Almost every single tactical I've had we haven't been able to clear until someone quits and we can summon a healing companion in their place.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
As someone who raids two to three times a week and has seen no progression or loot or anything in nearly a year, and no new raids in two years, this change sounds pretty loving neat actually. Killing raid bosses will net you exp, even if you don't clear the raid. Levelling up nets you crates with gear and cosmetics and poo poo. So even if you're not killing the final boss, you're still progressing and getting something for working at it. It's good! I like it!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Asimo posted:

holy loving poo poo dude, quit and go do something else with your free time. doing things multiple times a week for no results for a year or more is insane, and it's triply so in an MMO with basically no raiding culture. this admission is sending up all sorts of addiction problem warning bells, even if you don't realize it

I took like a six month break recently and my raid group is just trying to kill Revan before 5.0. It's really not an issue to play a video game for a few hours a week, my dude.

By the way, remember when I said HM FPs were easier than tacticals? Well I'd like to go back in time and punch myself in the dick after trying to get through Lost Island HM with a group finder group.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

madstrike posted:

Noob question 2: is chat faction locked? Or can Imps and Reps use the same chat?

General chat is, but /say isn't faction locked so you can talk to the other faction if they are nearby. Even in warzones!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
One crate per hour without even poopsocking? Dang I ain't mad about that! Give me some fresh rewards once per hour! I mean compare that to once per week now if you're lucky?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So what's happening to the mounts and pets etc you can only buy with WZ comms?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

madstrike posted:

Are subs getting a 'new' lvl65 character token with the next xpac?

As in, i have a lvl60 one...should i use it before the xpac comes out so that i can get a new one?

I am 80% sure they said l60 tokens are getting upgraded to 65s.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

dreffen posted:

Yeah that's where I think I'll stop, but I figured I'd ask about the ops and world boss stuff in case I make a push for Legendary. That and... the hard mode flash point one. Those seem like the biggest potential pains.

If you want to do the HM flashpoint one, the best advice I can give is queue to go as a tank or healer. The queue times as a dps are going to make it impossible to complete before December. That, or take a premade group of four, if you have an active guild or some friends.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

teacup posted:

1. I figured being made by bioware this game will avoid the usual jank I've seen in a lot of other f2p mmos? IS THIS TRUE

2. How difficult is it playing a healer while levelling? Is there any companion class?

3. I'm seeing a lot of "sub with something to get some benefits", how much do they turn on or off? I'm happy to get that Amazon one for 90 days time but after that will it be like suddenly my inventory turns to poo poo and I'm only able to hold 3 items and 2 dollars?

1) The game is more than playable in F2P, especially if you want to see the vanilla content 1-50.

2) It's a bit slower than levelling as a dps, for obvious reasons, but people will love you in group content. Companions join you at a steady pace and can take on any role

3) Subbing will unlock ALL of the expansions up to and including the latest one. Being unsubbed sticks some restrictions on endgame content, and gives you a money cap (you still HAVE your money, but can't spend in excess of 350,000 at once. You won't need to spend anything like that amount of money on anything except cosmetics). I'd say the game is more than playable as free/preferred at least up until the point where you're locked out of expansions, and especially so if it's your first time through as you'll be getting more exp than you need just from exploring different questlines that paid up players can afford to miss.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Crystal/Comm conversion rates!

1 Warzone Commendation = 50 Credits
1 Common Crystal = 500 credits
1 Glowing Crystal = 1,000 credits
1 Radiant Crystal = 1,500 credits

So wait, a character capped on crystals is going to be getting over a million free credits? God drat that is WAY more than I thought we'd be getting.

E: 1.75m if I've done my maths right!

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 28, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

howe_sam posted:

Is there any reason to do Ziost on a DvL character?

Yeah Ziost is one of the higher tier achievements, and the world boss on Ziost is one of the ones required for the world boss achievement.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Fifteen of Many posted:

I started a bounty hunter this morning and hit 25 on Dromund Kaas. Good heavens.

My characters have been hitting 50 before they get their ship :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

McSpanky posted:

I just resubbed, have a referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/Ms34PX

SCORPIO, M1-4X, T7, HK-51, why are so many of the best companions droids?

You forgot Z0-0M :colbert:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

phosdex posted:

One thing to consider is if you decide to try for legendary level you'll need to do ziost which kotfe will lock you out of.

Yeah do Ziost when you finish Shadow of Revan and it points you in that direction. It's quick and good if you're doing it for the first time for the story. There's a few bonus missions with achievements etc attached to them but you can always do those later on another character if you're in a rush.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So if I've finished DvL, what's a good way to kill time in SWTOR until the expansion? I have a few alliance companions left to unlock/kill but that's about it for major story stuff.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

Imperial Agent

This mind-control thing feels like it's going to do nothing but make the whole double/triple-agent story less interesting/complex than it could have been.

Well the mind control is kind of the only reason why you would turn triple agent against the Empire, surely? You're an Empire loyalist, spying on the Republic, but then the Empire does some skeevy poo poo to you and you want out.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

Isn't it the SIS that's mind-controlling me?

Yes, but I think it was the Empire that put the mind control poo poo in your brain in the first place? I am not sure, I can't remember!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

An irrelevant amount. Rushing through the story without a subscription still leaves you well ahead of the curve.

It's not irrelevant if you're trying to level 8 classes for DvL though. Can hit 50 without even getting your ship.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Comic posted:

Thanks, I think I'll mainline my way through the story then to be done particularly quickly before starting KOTFE. I was taking my time, admiring the sights, getting all the lore bits and achievements.

Almost all of the lore bits and achievements can be gotten if you go back later - it's only the class stories and the previous expansion stories that you get locked out of.
The only lore items I know that are permanently missable are some lovely ones inside of class story instances. There's a Consular one on Corellia I'm missing.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

teacup posted:

So I've been playing my sith sorcerer and am now level 31 but I feel like I've barely touched the game. I only have one companion, the angry alien dude who threatens me all the time. A few qs-

I like crafting, I've gone synthweaving, archeology and underworld trading, is it pointless to keep this up? I feel like I'm very behind the curve here

Does your "legacy" let you do empire and republic classes?

The dark v light event, I got some random award at maybe level 20 or 25, when do I get more quests or do anything for this? What is the current level cap? And when does the event finish?

The crafting curve is tough to keep up with on double exp season, but it's a lot easier when you have more companions as you can send them on jobs simultaneously.
Legacy contains certain unlocks that affect all your characters on that server, including Republic and Empire. Certain items can also be sent between characters in your legacy even if you wouldn't be able to trade them to another player.
DvL achievements are in the "event" section of the achievements list - you can see everything you can do in there. Current level cap is 65. Event ends Nov 29th.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

dreffen posted:

So pugging hms is just a abject loving nightmare isn't it?

It's not as bad as pugging tacticals, to be fair.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

dreffen posted:

Well I'm hitting a wall on Czerka corporate on the first boss, as a tank. I'm a good tank, gently caress I'm an experienced tank and I feel like I'm getting hosed sideways here.

Is that the droid in the water? Yeah, that boss is a total bastard. Adds have to die quick and people can't stand in the water when it's electrified. Nightmare to heal.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Catsworth posted:

Valiant gives the speeder, yeah? Hit Valiant about a week ago and forgot that was when I should get it, and looking for it now I can't find it anywhere. No new mail, not in collected Vehicles, nada. Definitely collected the DvL Crate.

The two speeders and the highest tier gear set will be delivered after the event, along with the companion. I'm not really sure why. Though in the case of the armour set I'm assuming it's because they hadn't actually designed one when the event went live, seeing as we still don't know what it looks like :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

McSpanky posted:

Can you solo them for achievement credit, or are these hard mode runs for swag?

Any story mode flashpoint that has a solo version can be done in solo OR tactical for achievement credit. The hard mode achievement, obviously, has to be done in hard mode (no solo version).

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Yeah you can even delete whole characters if you want as far as I'm aware.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

prefect posted:

If you have the bracelet that lets you go upstairs on the fleet, you can walk along the edge up there and jump down on people who've just used their fleet passes. First time I tried it, I got all five I needed. (Haven't gotten that lucky since, though.)

To be specific, wait until you infection is in phase 2, and your death from falling will cause you to explode. On Republic fleet (and Imperial to an extent) it is very easy to drop down from the VIP area and kill yourself with falling damage on top of where people spawn in to fleet and idle. If you have the digital special edition you can get the VIP bracelet in the mail on any character, or you can spend 1,000,000 credits to get it on one character.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

I can't wait until my character sits on the Eternal Throne and can...

...tell Scorpio to loving do one, after I gave her all those loving companion gifts and everything.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

MadDogMike posted:

I did appreciate the end of his recruitment giving you the option to shoot his clone full of holes with a "We'll say you went out in a blaze of glory!", was very cathartic.

Wait are you definitely talking about Gault here? When did that happen? :psyduck:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So apparently Polygon has gotten their hands on the expansion and has done a 'first hour of' video. I haven't watched this (yet?) but I'm guessing it's going to have hella spoilers for the first chapter or two of KOTET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLd8lTNZ7s

Non spoilery stuff - they've redone the menu bar (like skills, character, quest log etc) to be less cluttered.
There's some new AoE tell markers - they seem to pop from the ground now. Same shape, but they're in 3D.
Command crates drop several things at a time.
Capes seem to have improved physics, like the Vaylin set does.
An enemy bugs out through the floor and becomes impossible to target within the first 20 minutes, preventing the completion of a bonus objective.
Quest objectives marked with huge green markers.
BRAND NEW SMIRKING TECHNOLOGY

Companion combat voice lines are way, way more common than they used to be. But there aren't more of them.
Vehicle gameplay!
Characters have had their faces changed again Senya in particular is channeling Kratos quite a lot

All in all, it looks good!

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Hey Nerd of Prey, Waldorf Sixpence, and DrunkenGarbageCan - what servers do you guys play on again? I'm pretty sure Drunken is on Harbinger.

90cc and you can come visit the true goon guild!

Red Eclipse, the European PvE server. I don't think I can even transfer one character across continents.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Just one day until early access! I have the 30th booked off work so I can come home tomorrow and play until I loving pass out like the huge goon that I am.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

sassassin posted:

I haven't been doing flashpoints. The ones I've tried are too long and repetetive with all the combat, I get bored and quit.

I've got bad news for you pal if you want to reach the expansion content without missing a massive chunk of the plot.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Roughly what time does the expansion drop? I've set up remote desktop so that I can install it while I'm at work :v:

E: welp answered my own question. 4pm GMT maintenance is due to end https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/803406325501849601

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
FYI it looks like people are able to download the patch now, though servers aren't due to open for another 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Swear to loving god if they run that event again and make us redo it I will do a murder.
Also does this mean I'm going to have a big ugly 0% in my achievement panel?! aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Locked thread