Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

What is this game?

Aragami is a new action/stealth Indie game from Lince Works. It was clearly heavily inspired by the Tenchu series, so if stealthing all over the place and feeling like a supernatural ninja is your thing, then you've come to the right place. It has a gorgeous cel-shaded look, plenty of different ways to complete each mission, and online co-op, which is exactly why we're playing. The story seems a bit shallow for now, but we just started, so it can potentially get a lot better.

I personally don't have a lot of experience with Tenchu, although I've heard almost universally good thing about the series. I'm hoping this gives me as much joy as other stealth games have in the past, like Dishonored and Thief. If there's a way to stealth a game, then that's how I like to do it.

Who's playing?

Peter here again! This time around, I'm going to be playing co-op through the entire campaign with my good friend Mark. Amy will be around every once in a while, but this really isn't her type of game, and she was excited to get Mark in on this, so we decided to give it a go and see if people like it. Don't worry, though, she'll be back with a new game that we already have planned soon.

Spoiler policy

Since Aragami does have a story, we're asking that you please either refrain from talking about it, or hide everything behind spoiler tags. Everything else is out in the open, though, so have at it!

Episode list

Part 1: Phantom poops
Part 2: Cat removal service
Part 3: Standard issue
Part 4: I'm on a log
Part 5: FETCH, DUDE
Part 6: I've got one thumbs, and my name's Mark
Part 7: Payment in cream puffs
Part 8: We just had to go OVER the door!
Part 9: It's in the gag reel
Part 10: Killings guys makes noise
Part 11: I'm going to make a prediction...
[url=https://youtu.be/eeMAgm4t86Y?list=PL_1b2gVsAdQp5rRpAXrGjPY4gaA_UQM8R[Part 12 (FINALE!): Yeah, whatever.[/url]

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pretty sure that snake altar was for Yamata no Orochi, not the Hydra.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This is a surprise! Figured you do another obscure awful horror game.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pretty sure that snake altar was for Yamata no Orochi, not the Hydra.

Oh, yeah, you're probably right. I'm getting Okami flashbacks now, too.

D_W posted:

This is a surprise! Figured you do another obscure awful horror game.

Oh, it's coming, don't you worry. We're aiming for sometime closer to Halloween; it'll happen after Aragami's done.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It... really just seems like Dishonored at this point. Maybe there'll be some more unique ninja tricks later on?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

It... really just seems like Dishonored at this point. Maybe there'll be some more unique ninja tricks later on?

Yeah, there are some more diverse powers that happen. I hope it does get really interesting, though; reviews are a bit mixed, but I'm having fun for now, at least.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 2 is up now! Let me know what you think of the game so far. Is there a particular play style you'd like to see us do?

Also, thanks to Amy for editing this one. :D

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Light bad guys definitely introduce a new element, though I had to laugh at your co-op mate running right into a battle, flailing around, and dropping in the water.

It... doesn't look that deep, but I guess it's got light in it?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Glazius posted:

The Light bad guys definitely introduce a new element, though I had to laugh at your co-op mate running right into a battle, flailing around, and dropping in the water.

Seems like water is an instant kill, period.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the depth of the game is unfortunately not as... deep... as I think Mark and I expected it to be. We may end up just doing a couple of three-chapter cuts into one video, I'm not sure yet.

And yes, water is most definitely an instant kill, which is kind of hilarious to me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! I've noticed something endlessly frustrating to me: Even if you're in the shadows, it seems like enemies can see you plain as day half the time. I've never played another stealth game that works that way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can I just say I love the cognitive dissonance of looking out on a sun-dappled forest grove with a babbling brook and going "oh my god this place is a loving deathtrap".

It's kind of like how Bee Mario and Boo Mario make you a lot more aware of water and light in Mario Galaxy.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, it's time for part 4! Mark is out of town right now, so there won't be another episode until later next week. Sorry for the delay!

Glazius posted:

Can I just say I love the cognitive dissonance of looking out on a sun-dappled forest grove with a babbling brook and going "oh my god this place is a loving deathtrap".

It's kind of like how Bee Mario and Boo Mario make you a lot more aware of water and light in Mario Galaxy.

I remember those suits in Galaxy, and yeah, they really do make you notice things that you didn't think about before. God, I love the Galaxy games. Here's to hoping for a new one on the Switch.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This game actually pretty cool for a budget stealth game. I'm surprised.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

This game actually pretty cool for a budget stealth game. I'm surprised.

It isn't bad at all. It's starting to get a bit repetitive, so I may edit a bit more in future episodes, but for an Indie team, it really is worth a play through.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord these levels are getting to be full of dudes.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Good lord these levels are getting to be full of dudes.

I KNOW. Mark and I try to do the no kill, no sightings runs after we record, and we just couldn't do this last stage. They're insane.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now! Sorry for the delay; Mark had kind of a rough week. But we're good now, so it's time for some more stealth, and a whole ton of enemies in this stage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the game spawn more monsters because of the potential for simultaneous kills in team-up mode? Or is this what a solo player would see, and the lost potential is offset by not having some random person raise an alert on the other end of the map that would screw you up too?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Does the game spawn more monsters because of the potential for simultaneous kills in team-up mode? Or is this what a solo player would see, and the lost potential is offset by not having some random person raise an alert on the other end of the map that would screw you up too?

That's actually a really good question; I've done co-op exclusively up to this point. I'll start it up and check in single player.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you able to buy all the skills if you find all the scrolls?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are you able to buy all the skills if you find all the scrolls?

I think I remember reading that you can, yeah.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 11, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! This stage (and the next one) was significantly shorter than the previous marathon of a level.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked that mix of terrain in the level - big open plains with little cover giving over to shadow-laden cityscapes.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I liked that mix of terrain in the level - big open plains with little cover giving over to shadow-laden cityscapes.

I genuinely loved this level and the next one. They both felt completely different from some of the huge stages; more personal, I guess, and it felt great.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! This was another nice, short one, and Mark was the star for most of it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Glazius posted:

Kinda like in VtM: Redemption (or, The One That Isn't Bloodlines"), where you enter a castle during the day, and you have to carefully make your way through.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Kinda like in VtM: Redemption (or, The One That Isn't Bloodlines"), where you enter a castle during the day, and you have to carefully make your way through.

I keep hearing that that series is good. I haven't tried any of them yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, hey, now you're getting hit by exploding fireballs. Those could probably kill a regular ol' person!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! This is probably the most fun that Mark and I have had playing this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's actually a pretty good stealth boss fight. Kind of like the Mr. Freeze fight from Arkham City, but not quite as involved.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel that fight might have gone a little more smoothly if you remembered that new power you bought just before the fight.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I feel that fight might have gone a little more smoothly if you remembered that new power you bought just before the fight.

I actually use that power in the next episode, and it's not nearly as cool as I thought it would be.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! I think both Mark and I got really full of ourselves in the beginning of this level, because we died about two dozen times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw man. Dawn is near, you guys better hurry. I hear tell where the sun has an infinite supply of bullets.

Though having like a sunrise level would be kind of interesting.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! I'm actually starting to get invested in the story now.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 11 is up now! Only one more episode after this one. We're close, guys!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They're just kind of throwing dudes at you. It hardly seems fair.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

They're just kind of throwing dudes at you. It hardly seems fair.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it. It's just group after group, and everything is a one-hit kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
It feels like they ran out of ideas for how to escalate encounters besides adding more of everything. We're pretty much in the endgame and there's like two kinds of enemies? I guess three if you count the fireballs? I haven't watched this update yet but I'm willing to bet that hasn't changed.

• Locked thread