Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Someone earlier said they were amazed to see a team lose in Dominion without getting even 100 points. I can do you one better. Less than 50.

:yikes:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

I got a daily that requires me to play SKIRMISH against the loving AI :barf:

Everyone gets the same dailies so you will have partners in misery.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm complaining about both. That last guy not readying up makes me (being optimistic) want to stick around so I can get to play another loving game. Instead it encourages people to leave immediately because it's just faster. Sticking to your game should be faster than jumping back into matchmaking. It's pretty simple I am in favor of systems that streamline getting me into a game as opposed to ones that heap as much poo poo in the way. I'll let you figure out which one For Honor has.

I auto quit after every 4v4 match even if I still want to play the mode and am fine with the players. It is humorous that the lobby system is so poo poo that is an optimal decision.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Whenever someone says "free X from guardbreak" I'm immediately reminded of advertisements claiming"Get a FREE doohicky when you spend X dollars!!!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

Definitely throw distance. I've got that on my Shugoki, and together with the relevant trait I can bowl people down ledges from half a mile away.

The Shugoki "homerun" move is independent of your throw distance stat. It's that long by default.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Now change it from 2 minutes to 0 minutes, allow people to join during post-game lobby, and eliminate the auto-launch timer (just make it launch when everyone hits READY) and you'll have a system that isn't a loving joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

And while we are at it remove gear.

I would actually be ok with this. The ideal scenario is that they make gear stats Cool and Good but that's lottery odds right there so just scraping it is much safer.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

Why remove gear?

Like I said the idea situation is not to remove gear. It is to make gear stats cool and good. However this will never happen. I guess removing them will never happen either so who cares.

There are two really lovely things about gear stats currently. The first is that it absolutely shits all over new players and that can only harm the game's population, and it can do it a big way. The second is that it discourages experienced players from diversifying into new classes. If you have grinded out to Orange and come across another Orange player then you are on a level (albeit retarded) playing field. But if you are playing on a new class and come across that same player you will just get poo poo on unless you outplay him HARD. It turns the prospect of leveling new classes into an asinine gaming version of the Prisoner's Dilemma where "try new characters" is "don't push the button".

The system just sucks all around.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao what

That makes no sense. That just throws a fundamental gameplay mechanic out the window.

Throwing fundamental gameplay out the window seems to be Gear Stat's specialty.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Evil Canadian posted:

I am beginning to think rage quitting out also preserves your win/loss stats(as in you don't take the L). I get enough people doing it in duels against me when at that point they should just stay for their xp/item cause its already over to make me consider it. I don't know for sure but after so long in sf5 with that same poo poo I know the dark heart of man :(

Well allowing someone to quit at the very last second in match (using in-game methods even) to avoid a loss would be extremely incompetent programming.

What I'm saying is that you are almost certainly correct.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jade Mage posted:

As I understand it, gear only counts in Dominion. So long as you avoid that, you should be golden

It's in every 4v4 mode.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xeremides posted:

I love this game.

:agreed:

Haroshia posted:

This game is loving poo poo with gear.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should just do it like Destiny or something where normally gear has no stats in any mode but once in a while they do a Retard Rodeo Event where the stats are enabled for a few days so people can get it out of their system before returning to sanity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cams posted:

yes. it is not fun enough for me to spend $60 on it. i played for one day and i'm already losing my interest. it has more depth than most games but i no longer have faith in it as a legit competitive game.

you act like you caught me in some kind of logical fallacy when what i said is fairly straightforward.

What you said makes perfects sense idk why fadam is being an rear end about it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seeing the first batch buff Peacekeepers is about the biggest "RIP game" I can think of. Even if it's "fixing" something it's still retarded because it's a buff in practice. Go ahead and fix whatever but they would need an accompanying nerf for it to be sane.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Views patch notes*

*Throws hands up in air*

Welp that's it! I'm declaring this a Titanfall! This is a Titanfall, folks!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only thing I learned this page is that you don't have to be very smart to study engineering.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They having another 1v1 tourny right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/dmbrandon

I only saw one match so far and it was terrible boring trash. Conq vs Warlord and it was literally four rounds of shield bash/headbutt spam with no variation.. Hopefully the next one is better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Captain Oblivious is indeed kind of a douche but he's a douche who happens to be 100% correct in this instance.

e: actually I might be thinking of Invictus idk I can never remember which Captain is which. He's definitely correct though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

Now that I can agree on is bullshit. The debuff resistance at max lets you tech a guardbreak no matter what.

"This thing I just spent two pages defending is actually bullshit!"

lol good lord you are an idiot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

I'm out, this thread becomes toxic as gently caress when arguments happen. I just wanna laugh at gifs of people getting cliffed and lawmakers dancing together. I don't read this thread to have my blood pressure raised.

Well you've done an incredibly piss poor job of following your own advice so that's probably a good idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

This game has Soul Calibur levels of balance is what I'm sayin

Also Soul Calibur levels of Zone Out Rage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

They having another 1v1 tourny right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/dmbrandon

I only saw one match so far and it was terrible boring trash. Conq vs Warlord and it was literally four rounds of shield bash/headbutt spam with no variation.. Hopefully the next one is better.

Update: The next one was better.

It also featured one of the top competitors raging about one of the maps to the point that he deliberately ran in circles avoiding combat. The organizers awarded that round to his opponent lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Matchmaking stuff, including failures:

Groups are causing some issues because they have bugs, and also because there are legit issues.

Some people group with people on different continents and it fucks poo poo up. Dev basically asks people to please stop doing this unless they have monster connections. Group leader should be the guy with the best connection.

NAT types also interact with groups badly. Red NATs can't play with Red NATs so when they group up they completely ruin the matchmaking. ("fails 100% of the time") but that's not clear.

They're going to release a document on this and try to do better.

The reason that they group level 1 with Prestige 3 players is that they hosed up the Gear stats, they are re-balancing it. The Gear system was supposed to be a lateral upgrade, not a power increase. A level 1 player is supposed to be able to fight a Prestige 3 player with zero problems. "The status shouldn't matter as much" and "Revenge is bugged". They took a week to analyze it and now they are making changes.

They are trying to account for Gear in your matchmaking, but in the interim they want to keep matchmaking based on skill.

Skill-based matchmaking works with groups by averaging everyone in the group's skill, then adding a small bonus to account for communication/coordination.

Connectivity/stability talk:

The game runs p2p with a simulation. The simulation is getting desynced and dropping. They are trying to work out why. They acknowledge there are bugs.

The simulation destabilizes the more players drop and join. This is why players are not allowed to join after the early part of the match. They removed all Orders that involve winning because they made people disconnect and destabilize. These lovely Orders will be back when the sessions have stabilized.

AFK people also make people quit and this further destabilizes sessions. There will be an AFK sanction this week that is going to be a 1st offense warning -> 2nd offense ban.

The two Viking maps they removed have desync problems. They will bring them back when they are fixed.

They will fix everything 'as fast as they can' and that dedicated servers 'are not the solution'. They know it's a problem, and it's their "top priority".

RIP

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SquirrelGrip posted:

games dead on xbox. low activity in duel/brawl, wont find me a match. 4 player modes are trash as people wont engage 1v1 or even 1v2 the moment their move of choice cant be spammed, so gank squads are the norm. even then you arent guaranteed finishing a match, people quit and the game falls apart. all of this really sucks because when you do actually get a good fight going, the gameplay is rad. best example of a good game being ruined by a lovely community who have forgotten the title of the game

Great gameplay, lovely game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Javes posted:

I remember one of the devs saying something to the effect of "our design goal with gear was for it to be sidegrades, not obvious upgrades, and someone with a GS of 1 should be able to compete with a fully geared 108 player." Did they not playtest their game? Was gear introduced late in the development cycle by the suits at Ubisoft, screaming at the devs that their 'player investment' metrics weren't up to par?

Yeah this is the kind of statement that is so asinine and just so ignorant of reality that it ruins your faith in the person making it. Even the most cursory testing would immediately reveal that high level gear is an upgrade, not a side grade. I can't imagine what possessed him to say something so stupid on stream.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

THE MATCHMAKING SAYS: "gently caress you, suck my cock"

Thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My personal opinion is that this game sucks and always has.

If you disagree that's ok.