Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Last played this in Open Beta. Decided to pick it back up for the free weekend. Berserker is still loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

As someone who gets incredibly giddy whenever I manage to nail a deflect, Orochi rework on the horizon has me excited. I should play this game more.

I practiced deflects on Berserker a bunch today. They're very exciting and flashy but I've still never intentionally pulled one off against strangers, and they're pretty brutally worthless unless you do it on purpose because you get nothing from them unless you immediately hit the followup button. I mostly just stick to parries unless it's a class with very telegraphed attacks, like Warden.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frozenfries posted:

Cent is [...] not broken at all, he's just boring because he excels at being an opportunistic turtle.

Can't be worse than Conquerer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A good Zerker will mix up his attacks with guardbreaks and unblockables. You can't simply block him whenever he isn't feinting, unless he's terrible, in which case he's probably not gonna be feinting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a fun game, but like any fighting game, it's significantly less fun when you have to play against people who are noticeably better than you. That's why the more the merrier when it comes to the playerbase.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Two of my friends picked this game up free so we 4-stacked into Dominion and had a blast for hours. This game is so much fun when it has a community.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No joke, I trained for 3 straight hours for this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oy1ZcG_Ljc

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Lawbringer is bad enough to really belong in that category. He's not the strongest but his parries are really good.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I dunno about the other characters but Berserker and Peacekeeper are pretty easy to parry most of the time. Orochi is an rear end in a top hat but they're pretty horribly OP right now, just an objectively better Aramusha.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yardbomb posted:

Though I always forget things are really different on console vs PC, my tips are mostly gonna come from PC outlook, where someone like Ara is crap because 60 FPS means he can't just jam on buttons and spin his guard like they can do on console and ruin people.

That's what I said. Orochi is just an objectively better Aramusha.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just loving lol if you bitch about any of Valkyrie's kit. Whine about how Raider is OP next why don't you. I literally haven't seen a single Valkyrie since I started playing again.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jeremor posted:

I've been getting back into the game recently, and picked up Berserker as a class that really clicked with me. Only problem is, when I'm playing actually good players that can parry the top unblockable attack every single time... I kind of don't know what to do to open them up reliably. I know I suck at this game still, but what are some good things to practice for opening up guards? It seems like they always counter my guard breaks too.

Hello fellow Berserker main. Berserker's basic moveset is very easily shut down by parrying. There's no real solution to it -- no matter what, you cannot play the same way you normally would if your opponent can reliably parry you. Berserker is all about three things: unblockables, hyperarmor, and trading. Parrying, which is EXTREMELY easy to master, completely negates all of them. Berserker really doesn't have any fancy tricks up their sleeve past that. All you can do is rely on the basic combat mechanics to trick your opponent.

That means feinting. There are three basic Berserker feint moves you can do:
-Feint a heavy to bait their parry, then parry the heavy. This is extremely easy to gently caress up and gets you very little since your light attacks don't do much damage.
-Feint a heavy, then heavy from a different direction. They'll go to parry and you'll interrupt the heavy you baited out with a heavy. This is much better than parrying the heavy you baited out, because that would only get you a light. You can also bait out allblocks this way from classes that have them, then guardbreak them for a free heavy (and a possible light followup).
-Feint a heavy, then zone attack instead. Does comparable damage to a heavy.

You can also try mixing up some light attacks from directions they aren't blocking. Berserker's lights are pretty fast and hard to parry, so you can usually sneak them past your opponent's guards. You can also trick them with your S + Light + Heavy move which looks like you whiffed, and then brings out an unblockable when they try to punish you.

Berserker isn't fun against good players, unfortunately. It never will be. Parrying is so much easier to do than feinting, you'll always be playing on the backfoot because parrying completely shuts down your aggression. Ultimately your best bet is to play defensively and try to get good at parrying yourself, IMO. But that's not what makes Berserker fun, so fights become pretty tedious and frustrating. Unlike most heroes, Berserker is extremely fair and predictable, so you're kinda outmatched unless your mechanical skill is top notch.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 24, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also Centurion is the worst hero in the game. I'd rather fight a sea of a thousand Orochis than one Centurion that knows his combo. It's loving absurd that they released him with a nigh-uninterruptable combo that deals 100 HP in damage and depletes your entire stamina bar afterward.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Captain Beans posted:

He’s one of the worst heroes now, but in classic ubi balance status he rolls over new players but get completely shut down by experienced players. He can only do the kick on a forward dodge and he can only do the confirmed punch into knockdown after a 2nd chain heavy. If you spend some time in the training mode with him you learn cent is very limited on offense. The main thing is to NEVER attempt to parry his heavies. He can vary the timing, and if he catches you with that you eat the heavy, confirmed punch into lockdown, eat the jumping heavy and now you lost half your hp. If you just focus on blocking and not trying to parry he can’t get into that combo.

I KNOW what Cent does, man. I KNOW how to counter him. He's still loving ANNOYING. I'm not a machine level player who never makes mistakes and the fact that he punishes a single mistake by wiping out 80% of your health bar and draining all your stamina to set himself up to finish you off is garbage dog poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sounds like he didn't try to parry you if he ignored your feints. Go for the feint switchups, not GB.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tribute is like the worst part of Dominion made into its own gamemode. No surprise no one would queue for it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can pick Dominion maps to minimize the deathtraps. Tribute is basically CTF as far as I'm aware which is just a lot of running away from people, AKA the worst part of Dominion.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alright thread sit down 'cause I'm about to try out a hot take on you:

Parrying is way too easy to do and gives you way too much for free. Literally any new player can pick parries up in less than 30 minutes of practice and become a mid-tier duelist because of how much advantage they give you. The counter to parries, feints, are much, much harder to pull off and harder to capitalize on even if you do pull them off because they are aggressive rather than reactive and require more thought than just "click appropriate attack button for free damage." Ironically, the typical use of feints is just to bait out an attack from your opponent so you can parry it.

Parries are too strong and always have been in FH. Even now that they don't give your opponent a free guard break, they still not only completely shut down your offense but punish you for aggression with a free attack from your opponent, possibly even an entire combo from some characters. The timing on them is very easy to do, especially if you go by the flashing indicators rather than instinct. They have always encouraged boring turtling and made underpowered characters even worse. I think that either parries should be harder to do (perhaps timed like deflects are), or the recovery from being parried should be drastically shortened. I think that canceling your opponent's combo chain is enough of a reward for pulling off a parry, and it shouldn't set up their own retaliatory offense -- you shouldn't get any free attacks off of a parry. You should have to play smart and open up your opponent afterwards. Maybe there could be a slight advantage in that you can't be immediately counter-parried on your next attack.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 1, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nasgate posted:

Conq is good

Opinion discarded

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Postoyevsky posted:

Shugo's not bad in duels you just have to get really good at trading hits. His moveset is just boring as gently caress, which is a shame cuz he has cool aesthetics

Except he's bad at trading hits because his hyperarmor is easy as hell to break.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do the advanced tutorials and a little bit of the singleplayer if you're a masochist. All you really need to know is your character's moveset and combos (which are listed in the options when you're playing them), parrying (start a heavy attack from your opponent's attack direction when the red indicator flashes), and feinting (press E after starting a heavy attack to instantly cancel out of it).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So Glad has a literally infinite OOS punish? He can just toestab you into knocking you down until you die and you can't do anything about it?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No you can't. You get knocked down, dumbass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Claim: Centurion is bad and inflexible, they are easy to beat, just don't get hit lol

Fact: There was literally at least one Centurion in every Brawl I played this entire evening. I guess they just love getting demolished on their easily-countered character

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mans posted:

you get a million shugokis and raiders too and they're not that special either on the average pubbie's hands

Raiders have pretty decent mixups after the rework and they're actually quite difficult to fight against, especially if they know how to parry. Not one tenth as frustrating as Centurion, though. Also Shugoki sucks, just guardbreak the fat man and cut him if he tries to do anything. He doesn't even have any followups for his own goddamn headbutt stun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's good and people never seem to expect it, but he needs either more ability to chase or the ability to punish you more for being close, yeah.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Did they buff Highlander recently? He's amazing now and everyone is playing him. Can't go a game without seeing him; he's completely replaced Centurion as the toxic ez win cancer pick. It's mostly the double unblockable grab, if I'm being honest.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All of them I played against were pure garbage and never used any of these amazing mixups. Why is he suddenly god tier and there's one in every match?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yardbomb posted:

There's always gonna be more random mashy dummies than good players

Not my experience. Isn't For Honor a notoriously turtley game?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

Worth mentioning that you can dodge the kick, and if you see the grab coming afterwards you can unlock and convert your dodge into a roll to get out of it. Highlander absolutely devastated me with that mixup until I got the muscle memory to roll away ingrained, but now most of them are no problem. There are a shocking number of people who don't know how to do anything with the character beyond "kickgrab mixup" and "that one top attack that feints into the side dodge attack".

I hadn't figured out the roll thing; my solution to the kickgrab mixup was to just ignore the kick and then roll away from the grab when he cancelled into it. Your way is probably better because you can dodge both of them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

The other thing I hear about a lot is that, if you see the kick coming in, you can do a backstep light (no dodge involved, just move backwards and light) to completely stuff the whole thing. Apparently the backwards motion moves you out of kick range, and the attack interrupts the grab. I haven't had the guts to try it yet though, and it's still a load of guff if you run out of stamina. When that happens, the Highlander just ends you.

Yeah, it's a near-guaranteed OOS punish. The only way to avoid it when OOS is to predict they're going to use the grab and save your dodge for it instead of dodging the kick.

The number of characters that have unparryable unblockables now is annoying. Especially since I play Berserker who doesn't get any of that poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Iron Rose posted:

The whole highlander grab/kick combo gets rendered almost completely useless against anyone with a dodge attack.

Except Valkyrie :lol:

It's not a good opener against assassins, no, but if they're out of stamina they can't use their dodge attack.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Roobanguy posted:

just played my first duel after not playing since like 2 months after release, and got stomped the first round, but was able to eke out the next 3 fights for a win and the dude rage quit at the end. :allears:

Yeah my first duel in a while was against a Highlander, who said "Good fight" when he stomped me the first 2 rounds, and then he mysteriously grew quiet when I brought it back for the reverse sweep.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Okay, what the absolute gently caress is with some moves where I get hit by a normal attack and my character stumbles like they just took a glass bottle to the face, and I get stunlocked into the next attack in their chain? It happens really rarely, but when it does, it's super frustrating because it comes out of nowhere and usually gets me killed.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 1, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The trick to beating Centurion is:
- Block normal attacks
- Parry unblockables
- Dodge the grabs

Then exploit the fact that he can't do anything else and his defense sucks. That's it. Just don't gently caress up or you're toast. You have to be pretty defensive and wait for him to do something predictable that you can counter.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exodee posted:

Did you (accidentally) unlock from your opponent? For some reason if you're hit while not being locked on to a target you get staggered, which often guarantees an extra hit.

Nope!

Exodee posted:

Berserkers don't need to be even stronger than they already are, tyvm

Berserker's a good character but they don't get anything particularly tricky or gimmicky. They're extremely fair. I don't think they really need a buff, the other heroes just need to be designed more in line with them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Played around with Warden's rework. It feels good. I'm glad he finally, finally has an unblockable.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Meanwhile Warden gets a Free Execution Button now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exodee posted:

Hopefully they'll tweak both reworks a bit more instead of just calling it a day.

lol when have they ever done this. they're gonna call it a month, or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New ranked mode is cool. I love playing exclusively against people ten times my rep level. I see Ubisoft is still top notch at ranking algorithms.

e; I'm silver 3 after losing 13 matches, whatever the gently caress that means. This gamemode is trash.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 4, 2018