Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

There was a video outlining duels that they posted. I'm not sure how detailed it was.

I'm sad because I can tell just by looking that Lawbringer is my poo poo, but there's no dedicated info on them yet. Hopefully I'll get beta access and can see for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zernach posted:

Pretty bummed out that Lawbringer isn't in, polearms+heavy armor is an aesthetic I really like.

Same here, at least it won't be a long wait until release.

Does this faction war nonsense affect who you can team up with? I know the classes themselves are independent from it (thank God), but I want to make sure this doesn't get in the way of my brother and I playing together.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the info on faction war. I normally find this kind of declared competition inane, but it sounds like it doesn't actually get in the way of things at all.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Continuing the fighting game comparisons: high rank/renown players dropping out of the match just before it ends in a victory for my rank 6 butt. I have to believe it still counts as a loss on your precious record, you babies.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Played a 1v1 against a Warden who must have been a big deal, because he had fancy engraved armor and a laurel next to his rank. Blocked enough of his attacks to trigger revenge, whereupon the warden sheathed his weapon and tried to cheese it. Cue about 8 seconds of me sprinting after him keystone cops style before I used the conqueror's running shield slam to sack him like a football player. It was completely absurd and a hilariously undignified way to end the match. I love this game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are there gonna be any penalties at all for leavers in this game? Just played my second match in a row where the entire enemy team was bots before the first round was over. In the beta there's nothing at least, just leave the instant you see that a player has a skewed nosehair or whatever and LULULUL NEXT MATCH INSTANTLY.

I speak from frustrated experience that during that five-second 'victory music' delay before the match finalizes, people can leave and be replaced by bots. Really hope a punitive measure is implemented for this.

Edit: I only care about this nonsense because there's an xp bonus if you play against someone of a dramatically higher rank than you, which is lost if the player drops like a bitch before the match is over.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 12, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Edit: nm, they count the drop as a loss on their record, problem solved.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm personally sold on it as a fun thing to do on the side. Really looking forward to getting my hands on Lawbringer.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

UberJew posted:

As were the primary weapons of the samurai most of the time because, as intelligent people, they realized that the absolute best way to fight is to be on a horse with a bow

Samurai trained with the horse and bow long before they even picked up a sword, is my understanding. They also appreciated that the most effective means for samurai to fight was to get the peasants to fight for them. This would be why most period artwork of samurai in battlefield conditions I've seen consist of them either aiming a bow or pointing at the enemy and yelling.

Really, swords in general as an actual battlefield weapon were virtually unseen outside of the nobility in many cultures, simply because only they had the time and money to train with them to a practical level. It didn't make sense to base an army around a weapon that took years of intensive training to master, when any dipshit conscript could pick up a mace and flatten someone's skull in.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Also they save their otherwise dumb masks by sticking mustaches on them.

Fixed that for you.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Dusting off the ol DDR pad for this.

You beat me to it, I'm never going to be able to use that drat thing again.

Edit: x-box one players need to play using an adapted Steel Battalion controller. Anyone who plays a Lawbringer or Shugoki needs to go through the full startup sequence before they can move.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I got to play about two minutes of Lawbringer against a bot this morning before I had to go to work. His top heavy is a stun, he has a Kensei style dodge-grab that acts as a chain starter, and he has various options and mix-ups to respond to successful parries.

Plus he had a giant loving polearm and his executions are amazing. Can't wait to play more of him.

I can't stress enough how excited I am to play Lawbringer. Unless it absolutely turns me off for some reason, I foresee it being my main from the outset. I loved the gameplay footage posted earlier.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

That shugoki thing better be easy as poo poo to avoid, all the same. Like a "congrats, you're dumb" punishment attack.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wake me up when Shugoki's jump down attack is a belly flop onto the victim. I'll switch my main to it immediately.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

HA. Haha, yeah never doing that.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

My two cents on Lawbringer, based on watching some streamers play it: it's not bad, and as Haroshia said people are trying to play it aggressively when it is very obviously a defensive, counter punishing-oriented class. That said, it will take a LOT of practice to get skilled at, as it is so slow and cumbersome that incompetence is very harshly punished.

Still playing the hell out of it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

What would you expect. Looks like nice environments, a bit of objectives mixed in, and fighting against a range of mooks, mid range fighters that can block and take a few hits, and a stronger one v one duels. Has a story and good mocap cutscenes.

This is all it needs to be for me. I plan on doing it co-op with my much more casual brother for sibling time funsies and then diving into multiplayer forever.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Buy it you pussy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I dunno I'm scared by the alarming displays of anti-weeabo sentiment seen recently itt.

Shugoki don't count, you're safe.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Haroshia posted:

I'll keep maining him until I hate myself

Hang in there baby, we'll be Lawbros together. The problems it has will just make it that much more satisfying when we take people down.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Except the telegraph and timing for his poo poo in that is so obvious you can still parry it all. He can't do an unblockable side attack combo while the stun is up, and his overhead makes Kensai's overhead look positively speedy. You can still parry unblockables while stunned.

The best I can say is that Lawbringer embodies "slow and steady wins the race." It is not an aggressive attacker, and playing it that way is problematic. I've already won a few matches just by countering and slowly chipping away with quick burst combos punctuated by shoves to maintain distance/control. I know that's not exciting for most people, but it's been working decently for me so far. It'll take a lot of practice to really get into a good groove for it, though.

I can only imagine two Lawbringers dueling each other. It'll probably end up being glacial to watch.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

So lawbringer is Zangief/Hugo. Slow pace with a lot of bullying people around.

Ironically, it's probably even more of a defensive class than the heavies. Fights have basically been "no, gently caress you, and you're getting punished for trying" until they go down and stop moving. I eat that poo poo up, but I know it's definitely not for everyone.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

He seems really good and I don't get the complaints? He can combo off a loving block. Everybody was just talking about how the optimal playstyle is to go completely perfect block turtle; the guy can combo off block. How is that not good?

It's superb in my opinion. As I said, the primary reason for the grief behind it is that a lot of people want it to be something it's not. It's an extremely niche playstyle.

Edit: You will NEED to become extremely skilled at counter-breaking, as that is going to be the primary method by which people are going to break you out of your groove.

Double super special edit: Also look at it this way: if you master this defensive style, you are going to drive opponents batshit insane with salty rage.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What does this fantasy effect mythic armor look like, I thought they were going for a sort of realistic aesthetic, not flaming wings and crackling electricity armor.

I tried googling, but all it returned was world of warcraft.

You can actually model your character in all the outfits in the customization menu, even if you don't have them unlocked. Just click on them in the appropriate tab.

But the short answer would be "not great" in my opinion. They're your typical over-elaborate dlc suits that people buy to look big and tough right out of the gate.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 14, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

For what it's worth, I found it mildly entertaining when I peeked in this morning before work and saw the knight border take a massive leap forward.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like how everyone shouts things in their native language with some good voice lines.

Then you revive a teammate and you hear Steve the intern say in english "Thanks for that"

You're welcome, Steve.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

"I suppose it could make a decent defense/counter class, but that can't be right. I was a Warden - being an aggressive attacker is clearly the way the game is meant to be played."

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

But what do you think about Lawbringer?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

What do people recommend to gitgud at parrying? A custom game with 99 rounds against a bot, or something?

In one of the tutorials (basic, I think?) You can indefinitely practice parrying against a really simple opponent. Graduate up to the bot tutorial when you're feeling confident.

I'm always eager to do some practice duels with folks; just hit me up on the discord if I'm on.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

10 Beers posted:

This is a dumb question, but I've only just been working on the training in the game. How do you go about buying new weapons, armor, etc?

You have a random chance of getting swag after any multiplayer match, and can buy grab bags in hero customization.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Afaik theres no discord you should make one

Come on, don't be like that.

There's a sub channel for the game in the SA discord channel.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So you hate the game and its mechanics, but plan on buying it anyway? Why? Just to spite the people disagreeing with you?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

For Honor: whatever, you're still going to buy it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: WHY DOES THIS GAME HAVE SO MANY NARROW BRIDGE MAPS JESUS :byodood:

Roobanguy posted:

lawbringer is king of knocking you off ledges.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Buddy I fantasize about doing that good.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

What you can't hear is me (the guy being revived) laughing like a donkey the whole time.

Also, might want to resize that.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I always kind of thought that the whole notion of "honorable" behavior in this game was more of a snide joke than a real issue, but I spent most of yesterday evening doing 4v4 with some people on the Discord and holy loving moley I guess a lot of people take it really seriously? The mind boggles.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

From watching the pros I don't think lawbringer is particularly bad? IS it possible people are just bad with it..

A little of both. The class has real problems in need of addressing, but it also has a very distinct playstyle that I think a lot of people have trouble coming to grips with.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Y'all need to stop being anything but amused at the whole e-honor thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I don't even have any strong opinion for or against you on this matter. I'm mainly just amused that you dropped serious money on this game purely so you could have a "you see? YOU SEE?!" moment against your Internet detractors.