Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

The curse of being Welsh I guess. Compared to a lot of streamers he's not too bad, and he generally respects the people he's playing and talks about what they're doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is it true that only the samurai are having connection issues lol? I could only play duel and brawl last night, anytime I tried to join a dominion or deathmatch i would get kicked out due to connection issue after the match started

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I also really like the Valk's kit but trying to use it effectively is a pain in the rear end. I can beat people but switching to my warlord or warden and suddenly I'm putting in a fraction of the effort to do basically the same thing and win.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Carmant posted:

Is it just me or do all the good players play 2v2

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. Played 1v1 today for the contract and not a single match did I come across decent players. I think people might use it as a training thing? Instead of fighting bots, they fight AI. But even then, if I were to practice a different class, I wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as 90% of 1v1 players. 2v2 is where it's at.

Also, how do I play 4v4 and make sure it's just elimination? I got one round of it today and then the game queued me up into skirmish for the next game and it was so loving boring. 15 mins of just running around it was awful. Is there a way I can remove it from my game queue?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

The curse of being Welsh I guess. Compared to a lot of streamers he's not too bad, and he generally respects the people he's playing and talks about what they're doing well.

I think he's the only one playing this game that I can stand to watch. His sub hype thing is kinda stupid but more than bearable. Especially since he's explaining game play mechanics as he plays. It helps that he's pretty drat good too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. Played 1v1 today for the contract and not a single match did I come across decent players. I think people might use it as a training thing? Instead of fighting bots, they fight AI. But even then, if I were to practice a different class, I wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as 90% of 1v1 players. 2v2 is where it's at.

Also, how do I play 4v4 and make sure it's just elimination? I got one round of it today and then the game queued me up into skirmish for the next game and it was so loving boring. 15 mins of just running around it was awful. Is there a way I can remove it from my game queue?

Check the map vote, it actually offers both gamemodes. Most people don't bother voting, so you can just pick one of those that's elimination. If you see people voting against you, just bail I guess.

On that note, Elimination tends to be kind of a clusterfuck, but it also has some great moments at times:
http://i.imgur.com/kUNd4h3.mp4

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was annoyed in open beta because the game never really explained some mechanics like the jump from the ledge attack or attacking/butt dropping on a ladder, but playing through some single player I guess that's where all the stuff gets mentioned, eventually.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Loopoo posted:

You can set Elimination as favored before you queue (x on 360controller, iirc), but that doesn't remove skirmish entirely.

It was day 1 and there was a contract for 1v1s, I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm one of the bads who never once did a Duel in open beta (tried every other game mode) who did the contract yesterday.

What do people recommend to gitgud at parrying? A custom game with 99 rounds against a bot, or something?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

2 SPOOKY posted:

You can set Elimination as favored before you queue (x on 360controller, iirc), but that doesn't remove skirmish entirely.

It was day 1 and there was a contract for 1v1s, I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm one of the bads who never once did a Duel in open beta (tried every other game mode) who did the contract yesterday.

What do people recommend to gitgud at parrying? A custom game with 99 rounds against a bot, or something?

Dunno, the way I did it was I just played 2v2 and kept forcing myself to attempt parries. I died a lot. I got called a noob a lot. My team mate flamed me a lot. But now who's laughing, I carry the poo poo out of most games with 6 kills to 1 death. Another method would be to find someone chill ingame and ask if they wanna train in 1v1 with you? If I had a friend who played this (3 of them played open beta with me and hated it cause they're impatient fuckers) I would have practiced parrying that way.

The hardest part about parrying is when you come across a class you haven't fought before and the timings on their attacks are weird. But once you've scoped em out, parrying is legitimately ez game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

2 SPOOKY posted:

In one of the tutorials (basic, I think?) You can indefinitely practice parrying against a really simple opponent. Graduate up to the bot tutorial when you're feeling confident.

I'm always eager to do some practice duels with folks; just hit me up on the discord if I'm on.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This is a dumb question, but I've only just been working on the training in the game. How do you go about buying new weapons, armor, etc?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10 Beers posted:

This is a dumb question, but I've only just been working on the training in the game. How do you go about buying new weapons, armor, etc?

Go into the customisation menu, then hit "scavenge gear". This will offer you a few options to buy a random selection of items for steel. Alternatively just play a bunch, they drop fairly regularly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm kind of "re-learning" the game. I guess.

I played with a controller for both betas and I got sick of a terrible response time for guard break. Since my finger was primarily on the stick.

For some reason guard direction isn't clicking with me that well with a mouse. I think it's because I don't really have a relative position to go from.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What is with this game and the huge attraction it has to big babies? Is it the fact they're just hella mad they dropped money on a game and suck at it? It's sad, because if they just put their frustrations to the side and realised it's just a matter of them not being practiced enough, they'd see the game for the gem it is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

10 Beers posted:

You have a random chance of getting swag after any multiplayer match, and can buy grab bags in hero customization.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Loopoo posted:

What is with this game and the huge attraction it has to big babies? Is it the fact they're just hella mad they dropped money on a game and suck at it? It's sad, because if they just put their frustrations to the side and realised it's just a matter of them not being practiced enough, they'd see the game for the gem it is.

I had some guy get pissed off because he kept dodging into my Shugoki swings 3-0 and said I had no skill :confused:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Apologies if this has been responded to recently, but I don't want to be an horrible pubbie. Is there a Goon list, a discord server, anything to play with Goons? Couldn't find anything in the OP. My current uPlay handle is Hola_Bandido.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The Gate posted:

If you get shoved at no stamina you fall down. The Lawbringer unblockable shoves a lot and drains lots of stamina.

This would be more relevant if Lawbringer's unblockable shoves weren't piss easy to dodge due to their short range. Sure you can get an easy parry but they won't be attacking until their stamina has returned.

I'm not saying Lawbringer sucks or whatever. I think he's cool, but the same people saying "don't jump the gun and say he sucks!" are jumping the gun and acting like what he's good at (draining stamina) actually makes a difference.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Apologies if this has been responded to recently, but I don't want to be an horrible pubbie. Is there a Goon list, a discord server, anything to play with Goons? Couldn't find anything in the OP. My current uPlay handle is Hola_Bandido.

Afaik theres no discord you should make one

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Afaik theres no discord you should make one

Come on, don't be like that.

There's a sub channel for the game in the SA discord channel.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Wow this playerbase is getting toxic fast. Is this normal for fightin games?I've been called every racial slur ever in several languages.

You either die a fag noob or live long enough to become jew hacker

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Wow this playerbase is getting toxic fast. Is this normal for fightin games?I've been called every racial slur ever in several languages.

It's actually pretty disappointing. On the plus side I've had some nice matches with nice people who were friendly and all. But those are few and far between.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone is a temporarily disgraced master swordsman.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

It's probably due to the overlap appeal to fighting game players.

The fighting game community is full of mongoloid idiot assholes.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Reminder don't be a dick and play on wifi. Just had a 1v1 where the dude was host on wifi and would be super laggy every 30 seconds or so.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What? Everyone is on wifi. Do you live in 2002?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's probably due to the overlap appeal to fighting game players.

The fighting game community is full of mongoloid idiot assholes.

:ironicat:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
who the gently caress uses wifi on desktops or consoles? wire your poo poo you dolts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Exmond posted:

Yes. If you have no stamina if someone parries you you will be knocked down.

Being exhausted doesn't change the way you can defend though, which I think is the problem.

One thing it does change is that you can't feint anymore. If I'm fighting a good player on my raider, what I like to do is start up an unblockable attack and then cancel it. A lot of the time they'll have already started up their heavy attack to parry it but they can't take it back and the animation is super slow and I can counter parry it to knock em on their rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Promontory posted:

Didn't say I mastered it, I just parry a lot. My main complaint is that the game modes are dull and not very exciting to play. Why not have a castle assault/defense or something, instead of battling over zones or just deathmatching?

Battling over the zones IS a loving castle assault. Were you paying attention?

"why not have an X" isn't game design. How would you implement this "castle assault" ?? What would the rules be? Maybe the attackers have to capture key regions and help their soldiers kill the enemy soldiers? LIKE DOMINION?

An attempt at making something more about "assault/defense" would either be contrived and scripted and boring to play, or would be exactly what we already have.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

This would be more relevant if stamina actually mattered. Running out really isn't even an inconvenience because it doesn't stop you from doing anything important.

So much 100% false information in this thread. Jesus.

Running out of stamina really really matters, every one of your animations is massively slowed down until you fill it back up again.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

So much 100% false information in this thread. Jesus.

Running out of stamina really really matters, every one of your animations is massively slowed down until you fill it back up again.

except the only one that's really affected is just regular attacking

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, guard break cancelling etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

it's ironic that you'd complain about false information when you're basically handing out some yourself in the same post

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

There's no downside to being forced on the defensive for a period?

Oh wait I forgot, you think everybody in this game can perfect block every single attack always no matter what.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no downside to being forced on the defensive for a period?

Oh wait I forgot, you think everybody in this game can perfect block every single attack always no matter what.

not everyone, just the people who are decently good at the game. you do not need to include yourself in this hypothetical group if you don't want to.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, guard break cancelling etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

it's ironic that you'd complain about false information when you're basically handing out some yourself in the same post

Why are you even still posting here? You've already solved the game. Go back to becoming the World's #1 For Honor player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

not everyone, just the people who are decently good at the game. you do not need to include yourself in this hypothetical group if you don't want to.

Please post some streams of you going 10 minutes with neither player taking any damage. Should be easy for you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

Why are you even still posting here?

correcting misinformative posts

feel free to report my illegal activities to a moderator if you think they're actively detrimental to the thread

Zaphod42 posted:

Please post some streams of you going 10 minutes with neither player taking any damage. Should be easy for you.

i did that earlier and it didn't seem to budge anyone's views at all. also you're misinterpreting the point i made about defense

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Loopoo posted:

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

That syllable spew of his when he gets a sub is my number 1 reason for watching him. Doesn't hurt that he's nice to people and doesn't have any obnoxious habits like so many other streamers.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

feel free to report my illegal activities to a moderator if you think they're actively detrimental to the thread

unfortunately, incessantly spewing bullshit straight from your rear end isn't against the rules. go hog wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

i did that earlier and it didn't seem to budge anyone's views at all. also you're misinterpreting the point i made about defense

Horseshit you did

Hurr durr guys I'm the bestest ever I can block every single attack. Whats that? You wanna see me do it? uhhhh here's some streamer I found leave me alone! :cry:

That's a video of two guys loving around in practice. Show me an actual duel between people trying to win who aren't friends. And do it yourself since you claim you can so easily.

But you're not going to because you loving can't. You're full of poo poo.