Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

My emblem reflects my passion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

just had a warden main complain that lawbringer needed to be nerfed lmao

Hahahaha yeah ok

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I had a match where a person I was duelling left just before I was about to kill them, was replaced by a full health bot, who then killed me.

A round passes, then I'm fighting the same bot, who gets replaced by a full health player when I was just about to kill them, who then killed me.

:suicide:

I think they stated they're going to change it so that anyone who leaves/joins in replaces the replaced with a dead body.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Last I checked vikings were dominating, but maybe that's changed?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

I only meant to describe how most things "honorable" actually had a financial motive behind them, but that's a pretty good idea. Gonna have to make sure someone hasn't already done it first though.

First things first, gotta change "retinue" to "personal gank squad of hired mercenaries".

I look forward to a better-written than I can manage treatise on how most codes of Bushido amounted to 1. Be loyal to your lord. and 2. Do whatever the gently caress it takes to win, just don't get caught. Also how the mighty Miyamoto Musashi was by many accounts one of the trolliest warriors in history, and a living antithesis to the principles of "honor" espoused in this game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Minorkos posted:

If you're having trouble with Orochi, I recommend loading into a custom duel with a level 3 Orochi bot and practicing blocking in a stressless environment. Eventually you'll start recognizing the attack animations and it'll become easy to block all his attacks and guard breaks on reaction.

Actually, I agree with you for once. Bots are not going to effectively mimic defense against a real player; not ever. However, it will provide a controlled environment for learning to watch their animations and not the red arrow, which is a big step forward.

Edit: and everyone needs to relax. I don't agree with you on a couple things, but this whole spat hasn't gone anywhere, and getting bogged down in it again won't accomplish anything but getting people riled up.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 18, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jesus Christ neither side is going to triumph over the other so just stop please.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

New ranks mean new icons.

How I Lawbringer by FunkMonkey age 5

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does anyone know what a caution sign means next to one of your characters in the hero selection screen?

It means you have new swag, go check it out.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Oh boy I just got called my first racial slur. A milestone.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I was a mulatto knight, open to all comers.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are you not allowed to change the look of purple gear?

I know blues can only change to look like other blues. Maybe it's tied to equal rarity?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I don't get salty when I get thrown to my death. I don't get salty when I'm ganged up on.

The two things that will never fail to make me rage are 1) teammates who abandon you or stand idly by when you're attacking an enemy in 4v4 (when you rush to help them) because of "muh honur" and 2) people who spam the same cheese moves over and over AKA Warden Vortex / Lawmaker Shove / Valkyrie Shield Bash into Spear Slash

I've been called every curse, insult, and slur in the book. Teammates have stood by and let me get ganged up on because I helped them last round. My utter lack of honor is completely without dispute. To this and more I say only this:

All
Hail
Da Cliff King

Never find it unfunny, lest you go mad.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So Icey Seifuku posted:

I wonder if a whole team specced for throw distance could potentially lead to a series of coordinated throws ending in a environmental kill.

I know from experience that a pair of coordinated Lawbringers can relay an opponent from clear across the map and off a cliff using their impalement charge. The nuclear meltdown in chat afterwards is a balm to my soul.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

If you mean an attack coming from someone you aren't locked on to, then yes. It's just a little awkward.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

And the dash forward headbutt is quick and hard as poo poo to parry.

Wait, you can parry this? What the heck have I even been doing.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Haroshia posted:

...I don't think you can parry it. What would the animation for that even be?

It's an orange unblockable from neutral stance so I wouldn't have figured, which is why him saying it surprised me. I like to think if you could parry it it would be a Three Stooges-esque eye poke, complete with "HONK" sound effect.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 24, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Stunning graphics. My loading screen with the characters? Blurry. Territory screen? Blurry. (a game reset fixed it) I also do love games that refuse to window from time to time when I press the window key.

This is actually a long time filming technique to make very fat people on camera look thinner on the cheap. Get edumacated.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

NO MY EASY XP/STEEL ENDGAME MIDJOINS WHY

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Whalley posted:

I'm a big loving scrub so my only real hatred is people with huge throw range increases on their gear.

What are the least used classes? I haven't played a huge amount, but it seems like Warden and Orochi are the most common, with a pretty even mix for the rest (except shugoki, but I am terrible with him).

Lawbringer, valkyrie, and berserker. They're all kind of considered the runts of the litter.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Ubisoft? Balance patches?

Haha, see you in 6 months.

I wish I could disagree. I hope we're wrong.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nothing infuriates me more in this game than losing a match because my teammate insists on following these idiotic imaginary rules and sabotages us. I've had a partner step aside and let me get ganged up on because he disapproved of my cliffing someone the previous round, or because I helped him out after I wrapped up my initial opponent.

And then of course he dies like an idiot when he's ganged up on afterward, the whole while disavowing me like I'm a leper for making the most of the game's mechanics.

There. Is. A mode for your precious 1v1 Klingon warrior wankery. It is 1v1, and I've played and enjoyed it. Get in there and stay there.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its kinda ridiculous that they have the samurai in wooden armor. :v: Because apparently metal armor is exclusive for the knights.

No they are not.

Its weird how arrogant and stubborn you are about this and the only reason you have to think that is because you misread a line of text.

Even in real life only their helmets were mainly mettalic in samurai armor. Most of it was leather and lacquered wood, I believe.

Edit: my mistake, then.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Help I can't stop playing Lawbringer (he's poo) :(

It's a very fun, stylish class in spite of its obvious flaws, which will hopefully be ironed out in the foreseeable future. I like that there seems to be this friendly sort of comeraderie between Lawbringers that I've encountered while playing, even between those on opposing sides.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Campbell posted:

I'm almost rep 2 on Lawbringer and still really enjoy it even though you can really get beat down. It just seems like the correct movesets vary wildly based on who you're up against. Newbie? Poke them off a thing.
Super fast attacker? Light top head poke interrupt and try to stagger them on a wall.
Big guy? Maybe parry but it seems like dodging around works so much better since on a party you'll never have time to get a heavy off.

I played against someone yesterday evening who complained, with complete sincerity, that throwing people into walls was dishonorable bullshit and should be removed from the game.

The next round I proceeded to do nothing but throw him into a wall and light poke him until he dropped.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The whole "honor" thing is just a series of presumed handicaps to compensate for an inability to do something. 2v1 is dishonorable because they can't handle multitargeting and using the environment. Wall staggering is dishonorable because that fool could not counter guard breaks to save his life. Same thing for cliffing.

I always sneer at people who patronizingly switch to "dishonorable" tactics after I use them, as if it's punishment for me rather than something I take for granted.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dishonorable act: playing For Honor.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Just gotta point out how sickeningly dishonorable a way this was for Ubisoft to defeat so many players. No honor whatsoever. Hopefully this cancerous tactic will be removed from the game so the real players can play unmolested.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Doltos posted:

Let me guess, you got to the final boss in the Viking campaign?

That guy was a grade A rear end in a top hat and made me hate single player so much that I haven't gone back after beating him.

I died to him several times doing it by myself. When I redid it with my brother so he could clear, my brother unwittingly cliffed him and I jump killed him at the very beginning of the fight. My brother didn't understand why I was laughing so hard.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

In 2v2 Brawl vs the AI

These idiots never seem to realise that all players who collaborate on a kill get the point. Like a single heavy on the target is enough to qualify.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kainser posted:

No throw distance :getout:

e; oh you mentioned that.

I'll take my ability to fling people clear across the map right now, thanks. The better to cliff you with, my dear.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fadam posted:

I feel like every time I've wanted to throw someone into/off of something I've been able to. How much of a benefit does throw distance actually give?

I mean I'm obviously exaggerating, but if you really stack it you can throw them pretty drat far. I main Lawbringer, so being able to reliably cliff and wall stagger folks is pretty intrinsic to my play.

Plus I am the Cliff King after all. Got a rep to maintain.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gunder posted:

Throw gear appears to confer no benefit to Warlords, as they have that shield charge instead, and the stat doesn't seem to limit the distance of the charge at all.

A fair point, it's probably the same for raiders, then.

Count Bleck posted:

Ah, a fellow Patron of the tears of whiny Orochi and Wardens because they don't know how to guardbreak, hail!

May your enemies move as vertically as their tears, noble one.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV: Whatever

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I can believe that on the "drag" style moves like warlord/raider carry and the LB spit the difference is at most negligible, but for the traditional grab'n'toss the difference is very significant and noticeable.

Edit: also remember that in 1v1 and 2v2 modes gear stats are turned off, though you may have tested it in a 4v4 setting.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ankle posted:

The Lawbringer's combo is the easiest thing in the world to stop, just break out of his GB and he can pretty much never touch you

Sad but true, just be attentive and stay away from walls and most of our repertoire is made unavailable to us. Fortunately a lot of players can't/won't do this so HAW HAW.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fadam posted:

Please stand near a hole.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hypha posted:

Lawbringer is good guys.

Maybe not the greatest or maybe even great but he is good.

Like maybe he will not need a patch...

As someone who has played nothing but, with my fair share of triumph in all modes, I agree with everything but your last point.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The point of LB is to bully opponents into situations where they can't defend themselves, which is when you really lay the pain. Open attacking is not their strong suit, and I doubt it ever will be. I'll personally say that as an LB I tend to find peacekeepers easy prey simply because their patterns seem extremely predictable and easy to arrest. I do understand your idea, though.

Edit: I'm just going to clarify that a big reason I love LB is because I love playing the long game; beating an opponent through determined patience rather than aggressive panache. Many times I've won duels against experienced opponents within seconds of time up just because I waited, focused, and whittled them down.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 27, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ok friend, just telling you my experience. It works for me. Maybe I just have better reactions than average? I don't want to get into an argument over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeahhh well me and Hypha disagree with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEWRPzbdjo

Its tricky, but this is a gamechanger for the Lawbringer.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.