Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've played a whole lot of the alpha, and poo poo's pretty drat good. It can get frustrating at times, but when everything comes together and you just completely dunk some fools it's incredibly satisfying.

Also, Orochi can get hosed.

Edit:
Oh right, I think the last alpha wasn't NDA'd. Have this:

https://gfycat.com/FrighteningComplicatedBrahmancow

Double Edit: Whoops, didn't realise webms don't get resized automatically, sorry bout those tables.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Game looks dope as hell. PVK meets real time rock, paper, scissors? Hope I get into beta.

Can you mix and match factions or are the games strictly faction vs. faction?

The teams are mixed, it's perfectly possible (and has been rather common) to have all factions in each team. The maps are made up to look like faction vs. faction, but that has no bearing on player choice.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I think I wanna play this game as long as Ubisoft doesn't gently caress it with some massively gay micro transaction bullshit.

Some microtransactions are in, but they appear to be limited to cosmetic stuff like fancy executions, armour, and taunts. At least in the alpha everything was also purchasable with the in-game currency.

Phoix posted:

Yeah, they'll have to do something about the Orochi deflect before retail. There's nothing you can do vs an Orochi who just sits there waiting to deflect since even if you mess up the extremely generous timing you get a normal block.

Everything else about this game is loving incredible though.

Yeah, it's a bit lovely that a so-called Assassin has the safest and best defense in the game, and basically had the best/safest offense on top of that as well. It's still possible to wear down an average Orochi with a mix of light attacks and guardbreaks (Kenshi was great for this), but I do hope they'll address that sooner rather than later. They already removed his animation cancel in the latest beta, which was a great start and made facing him much less annoying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hey, that's great to hear. Apart from Orochi, the balance has been surprisingly good all around, and they've been pretty responsive with it. They've also managed to get Kensei from being somewhat underwhelming to completely legit in the last alpha round, and I'd say the three vanguard classes are now very evenly matched while still each still having a unique thing going for them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Turns out there's currently another stress test going alpha on, check your emails for invites.

Edit: Oh lord, it includes the new classes :fap:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 14, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

slev posted:

I'm in the pc tech test going on this week. Game owns but I think that's the only thing I'm allowed to say.

Yeah, it's NDA'd out the rear end. Which is weird, since the last one was completely open and had a whole lot of streaming going on. Still, we're probably not gonna get in trouble for general posting on here, as long as we don't post pics or videos.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So without delving into details that might get me banned, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the development process of this. From one alpha to the next there has usually been quite a bit of improvement, and the devs seemed really quite responsive when it came to adjusting the balance of things. Characters that once used to be painfully obnoxious are now in a perfectly fine place. They might just manage to get this into a really good shape come release.

Please nerf Valkyrie some more so I can play her without feeling dirty about it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

I have watched some videos and the game looks pretty interesting to me. I have signed up for the beta but I have not gotten to play yet. Is there a video somewhere detailing the mechanics of the game? Like attacks/how defense controls and such? I can infer a bit from watching random gameplay but would like to know the nitty gritty.

Alright, might as well do a bit of a breakdown. The core of the combat system is your Guard, which you can set into one of three directions: Left, Right, and Top. Any attacks you launch will come from the direction your guard is currently in, and you will also automatically block any incoming attacks from the direction of your guard. The automatic part is a fairly big deal, you'll still block a corresponding attack even when your dude is staggering, blinded, etc. The direction of your guard is usually quite obvious to your opponent from your character's stance, and vice versa.
You can switch your guard quite quickly (though not instantly, the precise time varies by character), and a big part of the combat lies in mixing up the direction of your attacks to catch your opponent off-guard. An important part is that (most) combos do not offer guaranteed hits, you can be hit by the first attack of a combo but can still block the second or third attack.

There are three primary forms of attack shared by all characters. To start out you have light attacks. These are fairly fast (often so much so that blocking them in time tends to be a bit of a challenge), but in return deal fairly little damage. More importantly, if your light attack is blocked, it immediately interrupts any combo you were in, which stops you long enough that the initiative usually switches back to your opponent. So generally these are good for poking and combo initiation, but pulling off a longer combo of lights can be difficult.

Next are heavy attacks. As the name suggests, these deal more damage, but are slower. Their main advantage is that even if one of your heavy attacks is blocked, you can still continue your combo. This is useful because there's a little bit of chip damage through blocks, so you can wear down your opponent by wailing on them with heavies. However, they tend to be so slow that you're quite vulnerable to being countered, particularly if you open with them. Also, striking the killing blow with a heavy attack allows you to execute your enemy with a flashy animation, which recovers some of your health and prevents them from being reanimated. In some game modes the latter part is a pretty big deal.

Last but not least is the guardbreak. This is a shortranged shove that momentarily stuns your opponent and opens them up. It can't be blocked, though it can be dodged or teched by hitting the button right after you're hit, which will reset you back to normal. After hitting a guy with a guardbreak, you can either attack the enemy as normal (you get a guaranteed hit with a light attack, some characters even have a guaranteed heavy), or throw them into a direction of your choice. There are plenty of hazards and cliffs around that deal damage or even instantly kill if thrown into, and if you throw a guy into a wall they'll be stunned for even longer, opening them up for further attacks. The downside is that it does absolutely nothing to an enemy who is currently in the middle of a light or heavy attack, so you'll just get hit.

Defensively, you of course have simple blocking as already mentioned. You can also dodge in any direction, which can be a good way to sneak in a counterattack against a particularly slow attack. Lastly you can also Parry, which is done by putting your guard in the direction of an incoming attack and hitting the heavy attack button just as it's about to connect. If you succeed, you will drain a huge chunk of stamina from your enemy (more on that in a bit) and possibly open him up for a counterattack similar to the guardbreak. But if you mess up your timing, your block is disabled and you will eat the attack in full.

Now, of course each character has their own suite of abilities. For one, all of them have a few combos. These are chains of light and heavy attacks (generally between two and four) that follow each other much quicker than standalone attacks. Usually once an opponent is in a combo, you either need to interrupt the combo or manage a sweet dodge to get in an attack of your own without being hit. Some of these combos may also add special effects to one or several of their attacks.
Additionally, all characters have some unique special attacks and abilities as well. These may be unblockable strikes (still dodge- and parryable, though), charging shield-bashes that knock the enemy prone, special counters after a parry, being able to chain certain attacks together so that they're guaranteed to hit, etc. etc.

As mentioned before, there's also some stamina management. It's a simple bar that recharges quickly after a second or two of not attacking. Each attack drains some stamina, usually you'll run out after two or three combos in a row. Being parried also takes away half or more of your bar. If you run out, you basically get to eat poo poo for a while. You can still block and parry, but your attacks will be so slow as to be basically useless, and being guardbroken or parried will outright knock you prone.

In addition to stamina, there's also the revenge bar. This is mostly a way to even the scales when you're outnumbered. Anytime you're hit or block an attack, the bar fills up a little bit, though it also passively depletes over time. In a one-on-one fight it'll almost never fill up, but in a one-on-two (or three, or four) situation it fills up right quick. Once it's full, you can activate your revenge mode on demand. Anybody who's about to hit you when you activate it is thrown to the ground, you get some temporary additional HP, and for a short time your attacks cannot be interrupted and deal way more damage than normal. If you time it right, you can outright kill at least one of your attackers in no time at all, and then fight the remaining one on an even footing.

On the whole, much of the combat dynamic centers around developing a certain gamesense and being able to anticipate your opponent. Each possible attack has a fairly straightforward counter, though things are generally fast-paced enough that you can't always rely on just reacting in time. I've managed to win quite a few matches by always conspicuously doing the same thing in certain situations, only to mix it up and catch my opponent by surprise when it counted. :smugdog:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 15, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Reminder that the closed beta starts in two days, so if you want a chance of getting in, here's where you can register: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/register/

Also, they've put up small fluff videos for each of the hybrid classes:

Lawbringer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XqxKziXvoI

Valkyrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LogAtInaFAM

Nobushi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKI7zmNQbg

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, beta just launched, get on and play. This time around they've given us a selection of nine of the 12 total characters. Those missing are the Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and the Shugoki, also known as the coolest of the bunch.

A little thing that's not immediately obvious: Make sure to finish both the basic and the advanced tutorial (found in the "How to Play" section in the menu). Not only are they pretty useful, but they also give you a few thousand silver (in-game currency) upon completion. That'll allow you to unlock the characters you want, and to pimp them out a bit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also note that by using custom match, you can play 1v1 or 2v2 against people in your party. That's a pretty good way to experiment and practice a bit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

acumen posted:

They're pretty good. I can beat the AIs in 2v2s pretty consistently now though. Started with the Nobushi but she appears to be more of a feint+deceive sorta character. Playing primarily as the Conqueror now and smashing skulls with a flail is pretty rad. Plus if you spam his taunt while moving it looks like you're pelvic thrusting.

Also note that the Bots come in difficulties between 0 and 3. 0s are easy fodder, but 3s can be a pretty serious challenge. Those fuckers will parry pretty much everything.

And yeah, nobushi is mostly about zoning, poking, and canceling. That can be pretty fun and you've got a fair amount of options, but she doesn't really have the same heavy follow-through to just keep on pushing that other characters offer and suffers in intense in-fights.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Public service announcement: As the Nobuchi, your three-light combo looks like it would be your bread and butter, but it's something of a trap. The delay between the first and second attack is so huge that everybody and their mother will easily parry it, or at least block. Instead, its real use is in combination with your Hidden Stance: That way, it will already start at the second attack, cutting much of the delay and allowing you a fairly sure double-hit and bleed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

How the gently caress do you type in all-chat? Pressing T just brings up team-chat. I had this one loving ridiculous opponent in 2v2. It was just me and him, and he refused to close the distance with me. Every time I approached, he'd run off. He was a faster character, so he'd zip in and attack me and it was just stupid. I wanted to message and say "Really, man?". He was abusing his speed the entire game, for all 3 of our rematches. He'd just run off and become uncatchable, even if it was 2v1. He'd eventually kill one of us off by doing this and then kill the other. It's hard to kill him when he just outdodges everything, it's an easy move that he never failed to spam (his dodge would immediately take him out of range of all attacks). Whereas with us, we actively had to parry / block / dodge his attacks (our dodge lengths are so much shorter). It was just bullshit.

Press T to open chat, then use tab to cycle through the channels (team, all, group).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Forer posted:

Buddy got me in and I'm having a lot of fun with mister newbie kensai samurai man, problem is this.

How the gently caress do you block shieldguy's charge? Like this is the third time I've seen one in a duel and they just charge in hit swing leave charge in swing hit leave and it's like wtf.

That one's unblockable. Your options are to either dodge sideways (though the window's fairly small), or to hit him during the fairly slow wind-up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After using a 360 controller ever since the very first technical test, I finally gave m+kb a try. And I have to say (after a painful adjustment period), I think I actually prefer that to the controller. Blocking and parrying feels a bit quicker, but more importantly I can now use dodge and guardbreak much faster, since I don't have to maneuver my thumb from the stick to the face buttons every time. Feinting especially is far more doable on the fly.

Also, on an unrelated note: gently caress the warlord's stupid headbutt.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Photux posted:

Played a bit as a Conqueror last night, and wow am I terrible at this. I do ok until I mess up once and panic and get hit another dozen times. I think I need to stick to duels for a while; even when I do badly I feel like I'm learning, unlike my chaotic flailing in 4v4. I've also never successfully guard break countered another guard break. The timing seems really tight, and having to take my thumb off the stick just takes too long.

Note that Conqueror is also one of the relatively more difficult characters. You have little range and not much in the way of openers, and are fairly reliant on being good at countering and parrying. You can put a lot of pressure on a guy when you get them into a corner and spam the attack + shield-bash combo a bunch.

On counter-guardbreaks, the timing really is a tad ounterintuuitive. You need to hit the button as or right after the opponent connects his. There's a section in the Advanced tutorial where you can practise it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaodai posted:

How are the net code and ubi servers holding up so far? The game looks pretty cool (much like Siege), but I worry that Uplay being the retarded monkeys they are that it will be hampered by their trademark terrible servers and netcode (also like Siege).

Also, on PC how does gamepad compare to mouse and keyboard? Seems like a dual stick setup would probably work really well, having not played it.

Quite well, for a beta. Rarely you end up in a bugged lobby that never starts, but so far I'd say 9/10 times it starts up fine. Connectivity during matches is generally fine, even if the host drops it reconnects and resumes just fine. The only thing that's a little iffy at times is the party system, every so often the party seems to corrupt and you'll have to recreate it from scratch for it to work.

As for controller vs. m+kb, both are perfectly viable. I've played all of the previous alphas/betas with controller and switched over to m+kb for this one, and find myself liking the latter just a tad more. It's probably just a matter of which you're generally more used to on the whole.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

People must not like the Kensai very much, I'm like the only person playing him.

Yeah, his real strength is a bit hidden away. On their face, none of his abilities appear to be particularly powerful. But he opens up when you realise that pretty much every single attack can combo into his heavy overhead finisher. That on his own is only so-so, but the key there is that you can also cancel that overhead into a heavy uninterruptable side-attack. That means that all but the fastest enemies need to guess ahead of time what direction you'll end up choosing, or eat that powerful heavy attack. He's a bit of a one-trick pony that way, but it's a really good trick.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok I gotta figure out the attack canceling and stuff. I don't really know how to chain yet other than just doing 3x overhead attack.

Somehow still winning most duels but gotta take it to the next level!

I'm pretty sure for that attack in particular all you need to do is switch to a side guard and hit heavy attack again before the overhead finishes, no additional inputs required. It's a really nasty mixup that people usually have trouble finding a way to counter for on short notice.

In case anybody has trouble against this move, for most characters, that counter is just double-dodge rolling straight backwards out of range the moment that unblockable starts up. Orochi, and perhaps the other assassins as well, can also dodge sideways far enough to be on the safe side.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Injuryprone posted:

Anyone play shogoki? Haven't seen anyone play them on twitch yet.

He's unfortunately not in this beta. He, Lawbringer, and Valkyrie were all in various stages of bad balance (the former two kind of bad, the latter one somewhat OP), so chances are they're overhauling them at the moment.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

This is the part that worries me. I don't mind microtransactions, honestly, but I do mind if they allow you to purchase actual, tangible in-game benefits. The way this is worded makes it seems like that you can earn "items that have a gameplay importance" by playing the game -- or just straight up buying them. That's not really a TF2 hat situation.

The barrier there is that the rank of usable items is linked to your character's level. At levels 1 to 20 you can only uses items up to rank 6, after prestiging once you can use up to rank 12, and so on. So basically when you're at the point where you can actually use the high-ranked items, you have played the character so much that you should have gotten a decent selection through ingame drops and currency already anyhow. Plus about half the game modes just outright disable the mechanical effects of items to begin with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Draxion posted:

I think it's just the three free classes that you can choose the gender for, but since every other class does have the menu option for I have a feeling those might come post-launch.

Not quite. The ones that are gender-locked are Valkyrie, Nobuchi, Shugoki, Warlord, and I think Lawbringer. The other two thirds of the cast can switch as they like.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Draxion posted:

Ah, okay. I just happened to only unlock the locked ones then. Valkyrie makes sense, at the very least.

Same for nobushi, since she's also patterned after an actual historical archetype.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Scoss posted:

I've been really confused by the gear in this game. The fact that each gear piece comes with tradeoffs seems to suggest a TF2 style side-grade where the gear just represents specialization, but then they also have an actual gearscore number and rarity. Is there straight up vertical progression?

Regarding game value -- we all know the campaign is gonna be a series of botmatches with some voice acting and cheap cutscenes. I will be absolutely shocked if it's anything more than that.

It's a bit of both. All gear has some inherent trade-off, e.g. trading defense for attack. However, by upgrading your gear you an improve the bonus to a greater degree than the malus. So for example with a low-level blade you might have +5% attack and -5% defense, but a high-rank one may well have +15% attack but only -10% defense. So yeah, there is a bit of vertical progression there, though honestly I haven't really felt much difference. A friend of mine has like 50+ gearscore, but even when I'm playing him with a blank slate 0 gearscore character it doesn't feel like a really noticeable difference. It seems to skew more towards fine-tuning and less towards powering up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SweetBro posted:

How the poo poo do I get the game to stop replacing my colors with my team colors?

You can set your preferred colours for each team, that's the only way I guess. Your "neutral" colours only show up in 1v1, I think.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

Nobushi is by far the strongest class in the game. Bleed needs to not kill, just bring people down to 1 hp. It's far too viable to just do a quick attack to bleed, then back off, rinse and repeat. Nobushi is at 0 risk when fighting characters without a quick dashing attack, which is most of them.

The important part to keep in mind is that only some of her attacks can inflict bleed. The major one is the top poke/retreat, Viper's Retreat. Basically default your guard to the top and you'll be reasonably safe from that.

The next one in line comes as a followup after a kick or guardbreak. The important part about the kick is that it can only come after a non-blocked attack or out of the hidden stance, so you can get into the rhythm of getting ready to dodge after either of those.

Finally there's the third attack of her light combo. That should rarely be an issue, since the second attack of the combo comes out very slowly and is easily blocked.

The thing about nobushi is that she's great at punishing and baiting, but actually not all that great at initiating. The dodge pokes and viper's retreat are easy to prepare for, and she's got no real follow through on a regular light attack since the followups are so slow. Your best bet is to approach her fairly conservatively like you would an assassin, focusing on light attacks and guardbreaks. Bait her into having to attack you, and you'll have some great opportunities on parries on the second attack of any combo.

And if you think she's the strongest, you haven't seen a capable warlord in action. So. Many. Blocks. :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

An important part about Dominion is that when you're actively squatting on a CP your team owns, you get twice the points per second for it than when you leave it alone. So when your opponent runs off, you just go back to one of your CPs and chill on it (or cap the one they were defending). Any second they're not actively fighting you means you're getting that much closer to overall victory in a hurry.

Fake edit: Oh, almost forgot, just sitting on the CP only works for A and C. For central the B CP, you can get additional points by slaughtering the AI soldiers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't let the equipment get to you, its really pretty minor. The game just has pretty deep, complicated combat. Its very close to a fighting game in that regard. Move cancels, combo strings, mixups, etc. If you're not really trying to learn all that, you're going to get rocked regardless of gear level.

Try fighting a level 1, level 2 or level 3 AI. Those shouldn't have any gear whatsoever beyond the defaults, so then you can tell if its just skill or not. Level 3 bots are pretty competent.

Level 11 is nothing dude. You go up to like level 60 and then you prestige and do it 10 times. Level 11 is like, an hour of play.

Prestiging actually occurs every 20 levels. :ssh:

But yeah, you can get to 11 within just a few hours of playing, particularly with missions.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

I see people saying there are heroes not in the beta, is that so? Do we know how many are in the full game? This game is neat but echoing the "not $60 neat" sentiment. I might pick this up on GMG or something for cheaper.

The three missing are the Shugoki, Lawbringer, and Valkyrie.

Shugoki is the Samurai heavy. His deal is that he's got a passive super-armour, so he can absorb a single hit every few seconds without being interrupted. He has very powerful but slow attacks, so most of his gameplay was focused on baiting the enemy into attacks and then trading favourably. Pretty funny to play, but a tad one-note since you can't initiate at all.

Lawbringer is the Knight Hybrid, more specifically a Heavy/Vanguard hybrid. He's all about throwing the enemy around a lot, and punishing on Parries. He's got lots of health and powerful attacks, but is on the slow side with only middling range. Useful in group battles, but kind of poop in 1v1.

Valkyrie is the Viking Hybrid, combining Assassin and Heavy. She's got long range, good mobility, lots of knockback and knockdown, and has both the deflect defense of the assassins as well as the block stance of the heavies. Very fun and disgustingly OP.

So yeah, I suspect the main reason why these three in particular have been held back for the beta is because they're being adjusted and overhauled to fit in better with overall balance. There have also been rumours about even more characters to be added down the line, but I don't think there've been any official statements on that. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

If you don't like it you don't like it :shrug:

Not every game is for everyone. So far I dig it mostly because it scratches the fighting game itch because the combat is much more in depth than I ever gave it credit for.

Yeah, that's basically what draws me in as well. It's got similar general dynamics that I also enjoy about fighters Mortal Kombat et al., but at the same time it's quite a bit more approachable. No need to learn a full page of moves, combos, and frame data just to start being competitive, but it still retains enough depth to stay interesting. Plus the graphics and general styling makes it way more viscerally satisfying than 2D games ever were for me.

Speaking of modes, one of the ideas that had been floated was also a hardcore mode that disables all UI elements. I figure that would be a pretty fun change of pace to keep things mixed up in the long term.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

This game has

+ good combat
+ nice graphics
+ cool aesthetics

- Lack of maps
- Lots of disconnects
- Lack of gamemodes
- Doesn't feel fleshed out fully

Do note that the beta is not content-complete. There are at least two further Dominion maps that have been in previous tests but not in this beta, as well as an additional set of game modes (4v4 elimination, deathmatch). Forest and Cathedral are also quite a bit larger than they look at first, and might end up being ported to Dominion as well.

Dosvidanya posted:

My only concern is that the game doesn't punish people for running out of stamina besides taking away their ability to attack as fast. They can still parry, dodge, guard break resist just as effectively as someone with stamina. The only thing you really gain versus someone with no stamina is that they fall down when you parry them but they aren't going to attack and now get to dedicate 100% of their mental resources to defending.

They also fall down when you throw them! If you manage to land a guardbreak, that usually means at least two free heavy hits for most classes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

some things I've missed:

How do some people go super saiyan? They start glowing and anyone near them gets flung back. Is it the revenge meter thing? Why do I never get to go supersaiyan :(

How do you block from behind? I've backstabbed people who blocked me while facing the opposite way :stare:

You've got a revenge meter in the bottom left, it builds up a little every time you're hit or block an attack. Against a single opponent it usually won't fill up, but if you're up against two or more enemies at the same time it'll fill in a hurry. Basically commit to a 2v1 fight and focus on just blocking for a few seconds, and you'll get there.
Once the bar is full, press R (on kb) or Y (on 360 controller) to activate it. While you're in revenge mode, you do far more damage, get a bunch of additional temporary HP, your attacks become uninterruptible, and every time you parry your enemy is thrown to the ground. The trick is that at the moment you trigger it, all incoming attacks are auto-parried, throwing the attackers to the ground. That means if you time it right, you can throw down at least one attacker and go ham on them with increased damage while his friends' attacks just bounce off of you.

Blocking attacks from the sides or behind is simply a matter of putting your guard in the direction of the attacker. E.g. if he's attacking you from the rear right, just put your guard to the right and you'll block all of his attacks, no matter what attack direction he's using. Additionally, if you're blocking an attack from your locked-on target and another enemy is about to hit you at exactly the same time, the second attack is blocked automatically as well.

Generally, if you're ganging up with a teammate on a single guy, the best idea is for the one at his back to use guardbreaks and unblockable staggers (shield bash, shoulder charge, kicks, etc.) while the other attacks as normal. Regular attacks coming from the side are incredibly easy to block, and do nothing but fill up his revenge meter.

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't know how much use it is, but the Raider can guard-break toss someone infront of them other than just using the running charge, Hold down(as opposed to tap, which will put them behind you) and square, and you will basically do a big spinning irish whip throwing them infront of you. Once again not really sure of the validity of it right now as the running charge is great and already moves them forward if you want that, but its something.

The nice thing about that move is that your target actively collides with all other enemies and mooks in the area. The bystanders will be staggered by the collision, and the guy you're throwing around will lose some additional stamina with each guy hit. It's a nice way to completely drain somebody of stamina when fighting in a group of mooks, or to give yourself some space in a 2v1.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 29, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

work the balls Sally posted:

Anyone playing with the conqueror? I'm wondering what tricks you guys are using in your duels. I'm fairly successful with the heavy or two swings followed by the shield bash and another heavy swing. Also the Dodge shield bash and a light attack follow up. But what else are people using to get the job done?

The wind-up for your heavy attack can be more useful than it appears at first. It'll usually bait the enemy into attacking, so you can combine it with your superior block attack (i.e. where you attack just before their attack lands, blocking theirs and allowing yours to go through). The timing's a bit tricky, but if it lands that's some hefty guaranteed damage. If the enemy wises up and goes in for a guardbreak just let it fly immediately, usually it'll go through while the guardbreak whiffs.

Conq also really benefits from landing guardbreaks. Hit them with one and throw them into a wall for a free heavy attack. You can then either follow up with a shield bash or another heavy, putting your opponent into a soft mixup. Shield bashing somebody into a wall should also give you enough time for a heavy. If you've got the enemy in a corner you can get a near-infinite combo going with alternating heavy attacks and shield bashes, but that's kind of a dickish thing to do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

work the balls Sally posted:

Nice tips, thank you. What all can be canceled? What I'm running into now is people dodging the shield charge, which almost guarantees I'll eat the following hit.

Conq in particular can't feint, so there's not much in the way of cancels for him. However, some of the other character's unblockable staggers (Warden's shoulder bash, Warlord's headbutt) can be cancelled into a regular guardbreak by hitting the button again. That creates another mixup since the guardbreak can not be dodged, while the bash itself can only be dodged. I dunno if that applies to Conq's shieldbash as well and I can't check right now, but it's worth trying. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Players getting staggered when other players are thrown into them is a fairly new addition, and I love everything about it. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Streaming more 1v1 Peacekeeper for a while today, wrecking fools who don't know how to block:

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

Dangit man, learn how to pull off the proper three stabs after a guardbreak. :v:

Also, Peacekeeper gets a guaranteed guardbreak after a parry, which I think is currently her only safe followup punish in that situation. It's bordering on being a bit broken, but feel free to make use of it while it lasts.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hard posted:

Teammates included.

Holy poo poo you attacked my target, he revenged and killed me all because of you.

:raise:

To be fair, there are times when it's legitimately easier to dispose of a guy one on one instead of having the "help" of a somewhat overeager teammate. Raiders in particular seem very fond of just swinging for the bleachers with wild abandon, hitting their teammates more often than their enemy :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Dude no poo poo, this is definitely my weakest point - how the gently caress do I do this?

It's basically a matter of hitting light attack twice more with just the right timing. Hitting it too early or spamming it will abort the whole thing entirely. I haven't played her too much yet, but I'd say it's perhaps slightly less than half a second between each stab.

If you want to practice, check the "How to play" section then bot match. Selecting bot level 0 will present you with a training dummy that does nothing and has infinite life. That should make it pretty easy to nail down in just a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Megaflare posted:

Does she really? I've been playing her a little today and quickly realized that yeah she can't get much off a parry but this isn't something I tried. I assume by guaranteed you just mean it connecting, not that they can't break though, right? Another option is the forward dash strike which probably isn't a true combo but it is fast and you do get the guaranteed dagger follow up.

I've tried it a bunch of times with a friend and it seems wholly guaranteed, with no way out for the victim. The slightly counterintuitive trick to it is to not try and dodge in to close the distance beforehand, just hit guardbreak right away and it'll connect. And as far as we could tell, the victim can neither tech out of it, nor dodge away, nor interrupt it with an attack. It's basically a guaranteed 20-40% damage on a parry, which is why it might just be a tad silly.

The only other thing we've found that is guaranteed to connect is her area attack. But that's really just a light attack that costs a huge chunk of your stamina, so it doesn't really compare with the guardbreak.