Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Citadel Gate, Overwatch, River Fort. Those are the maps right?

There's also Forest, Canyon, and Cathedral for the non-dominion gamemodes. Previous tests had two further full-sized dominion maps not in this beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there any footage out there of the Lawbringer and the Valkyrie? There's some out there for the Shugoki but for the other 2 a cursory google isn't showing much other than the official class trailers.

Probably not. Those three have only really been available during the heavily NDA's technical test, so any non-official footage would be risking a banning. The Valkyrie played a bit like a mix between nobushi and warlord. Lots of hopping around and poking, interspersed with knockdowns and staggers. Lawbringer was fairly defensively oriented, with several moves that follow off of a successful parry and a bunch of ways to render the opponent prone or push him around raider-style.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I gotta get better at dodging. I've met characters who enter the matrix every time I try to hit them and literally all my attacks miss constantly. It's so frustrating and I want to be able to do it

It's not immediately obvious, but guardbreaking is actually a decent counter against frequent dodges. It tracks like a motherfucker and will basically always connect unless the target dodged far backwards out of range. It also helps that the attacks following dodges are directly linked to the direction of a dodge. For Kensei and the Assassins it always comes from the direction they're dodging towards, for Nobuchi it's the opposite one. Parry their poo poo, guardbreak, and then just go ham :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Innerguard posted:

Stupid questions from a non-beta haver.

How many characters are male vs how many are female?
Are only certain characters available from the beginning, or can you pick one to unlock for free and then grind for others?

I know there are a few different customisation choices mentioned but how indepth are they? Do any go the overwatch style of changing voices/etc?

Out of the 12 characters, 3 each are locked to male (Lawbringer, Warlord, Shugoki) and female (Peacekeeper, Valkyrie, Nobushi). All the rest can be played as either gender as a customisation option.

The three characters of the vanguard type for each faction (Warden, Raider, and Kensei) are completely unlocked from the beginning. Recruiting a new character actually only unlocks their customisation options, you can play any of them whenever, so you can try before you buy. For reference, recruiting a new character costs 500 steel (the ingame currency), while fulfilling a single daily quest gives you 300 steel, on top of regular rewards from finishing games. So you can unlock the entire roster in rather short order if you want to.

In terms of customisation, all characters have slots for chest armour, arms, helmets, and three slots for their weaponry. Over time, you find new items with different visuals for each of these slots, which also carry a small mechanical boost/tradeoff (e.g. you can take a different sword blade that improves your damage but also increases your stamina costs). Note that the mechanical effects of gear only apply in certain gamemodes, they're disabled in the dueling modes. You can also melt down unwanted items and use them as resources to improve the mechanical effects of others. The visuals can also transferred from one item to another for a small steel fee.
On top of that you also have a bunch of purely visual stuff. You can set skin colour, gender, and an overall colour scheme for your character as a whole. You can then further adjust each significant part of your armour (helmet, shoulders, tabards, chest, shield, etc.) and give them different colour patterns, symbols, tattoos, or engravings. Finally you can also buy fancy emotes, helmet ornaments, and executions for big chunks of steel. So there's a decent amount of freedom for playing murderbarbie dressup.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

2) The pricing doesn't add up. Heroes in the beta were either 100 or 500 steel. But costumes range between 1500 and 3000 steel. Taunts and executions are more like 5000 steel. This doesn't jive to me. If you take a look at MOBAs for example, they usually have hefty price tags in to unlock heroes, with skins and other customization options being the lesser cost. I suspect that in this beta the cost of costumes/taunts/executions were unchanged from what release will be, but that the heroes themselves were heavily discounted because otherwise people wouldn't unlock them during the limited time frame of the beta. And yes, you could play them anyway but if we are being realistic people just don't want to play a character as much is they can't customize them.

Additionally, the very numbers of 100 or 500 steel are suspect because they are too small. So small that they are pointless. If it is that easy to unlock them then everyone will have every character unlocked within a week. You might as well not require them to be unlocked at all. The barrier is so small that it will be pointless, which makes me believe it is not the real barrier.

I don't think MOBAs are a very apt comparison. They're generally f2p, and selling characters is one of their major monetisation schemes. For Honor on the other hand doesn't need that, and with a relatively smaller roster they'll want to have a decent variety of heroes populating the playerbase ASAP so people don't feel like they're arbitrarily denied integral parts of the game they paid for.

More the to point, the characters are actually all already unlocked by default. Everybody can just pick up and play them from day 1 at no cost at all. What you do unlock by recruiting them is just the ability to customise them. And since that customisation is a really big part of their whole MP system, it's really in their interest to keep the entry barrier to that system fairly low. In that context, it also makes sense to keep the prices for the gameplay-relevant stuff low to encourage people to keep playing, by offering short- and medium-term gratification. Ornaments, emotes, and executions on the other hand are purely visual vanity purchases, so nobody will be much bothered if those are locked away behind a rather high price tag.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Keegers posted:

They keep adding gamemodes but not addressing other concerns. And 4v4 TDM doesn't sound that fun to me. Maybe playing with 3 other goons might be fun tho.

Hard posted:

To be fair the Open Beta version was probably ready even before the last closed beta ever happened. While i'm sure players' concerns are heard and taken into consideration, any major change takes time.

Yeah, these gamemodes are not new developments, they've been around for a few test cycles now. They're just being re-included after being left out of the closed beta.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PureRok posted:

Video not available in my country, the United States.

Okay.

Colonials can have no true appreciation of glory of historical european (and japanese I guess) mortal combat. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Khagan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Bg8TXtm6Q

They're using the same post-launch approach as R6:Siege

So, just looking at the silhouettes of that promo image, apparently one of the new heroes will be some kind of ninja-person with sickles, and some sort of roman centurion guy. I'm down with that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

lohli posted:

Game needs a guy who runs around hitting people with just the head of an axe.

And a guy who runs around with fists on sticks.

Boy, do I have the weapon for you:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

Even at the risk of cheerleading a bit, I have been pretty impressed with the overall development process of this game. There have been steady improvements from one alpha to another, and they've generally been very responsive in addressing balance concerns. Ask me about loudly bitching about the reflect mechanic on their forums until they've nerfed it to its current iteration.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Oh, is there another currency I'm not aware of? I remember buying an experience boost emblem thing and a new execute with it, so it gives whatever those require.

It's barely a currency, since it's only really used for one thing. The actual currency is called "steel", and you use it to buy almost everything, including equipment, executions, experience boosts, visuals, etc. etc.. You get it from just playing normally, and of course from the daily orders and contracts.

The second one is salvage. This is used only for upgrading any of your items. There's one type of salvage per faction, and you can only get by melting down items of the appropriate faction. It's really not so much a currency as just kind of a soft limiter to how quickly you can upgrade your stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonna roll with black lady characters on every class just to gently caress with this guy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's true, when you go to Denmark you can't look anybody in the eye because everybody and their mother is 2+ metres in height.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Chinese warriors have the most representation in vidya games anyway, a whole dynasty of em.

It seems Valkyries have an execution where they just headbutt the other guy to death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU6BDKHWL4&t=71s

:swoon:

Valkyrie's all about those headbutts all the time. She's got those ram's horns for a reason.

Similarly, Shugoki got one where he executes a guy by hip-thrusting his belly right into the other guy's face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've barely played any Berserker so far, so I'll definitely be giving him a whirl. He seems a tad one-note, but the ability to really mix it up letting the infinite combo go on for a variable amount of hits seems like it could be pretty fun. I also haven't played Orochi at all since the second alpha, so I guess I'll see how he plays now that he's not obnoxiously OP anymore.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trillhouse posted:

I can see that. They have a gnarly uncounterable mini-guardbreak on deflect and dodge cancels but lack the flashiness of the Peacekeeper's triple stab or whatever else.

I think Kensei is the worst class though. Slow as hell and his unblockable attacks are so slow that any decent player will easily parry them. It seems like you have to feint and parry a lot get to the same level the other heroes get without doing that. If you're playing the game for the first time during open beta, don't believe the little bio that says he's an "easy" character.

The key to Kensei is that you can easily cancel the unblockable overhead into a side-heavy attack with armour, without needing any additional complex input. That offers him a fairly powerful yet also easy mixup. The counters to the overhead are either a parry, a dodge, or a fast counterattack (on certain characters), all of which will lead to getting hit if Kensei cancels into the sideways attack. Meanwhile if you try to block or parry a sideways attack, the overhead can go through easily. Basically the target will need to guess ahead of time what Kensei's gonna do (or react during a very short window) or they'll eat a heavy.

There is only one truly safe way out of it, double-dodge rolling backwards out of range the moment you see it winding up. But even that can be somewhat curtailed by forcing your opponent back against a wall or into a corner.

Also, the forwards dodge into a guardbreak is really useful, and is something I find myself sorely wishing I had on other characters. Much like with the overhead, you can keep your enemy guessing whether you'll follow up that forwards dodge with either the rather fast light attack, or the guardbreak, once again making for a decent mixup.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm going to be giving this a go on the open beta, tell me if I'm far off from my assumptions without having ever played.

Warden is the sort of character that is the jack of all trades tutorial type, not bad at anything and probably good for starting out.
Pretty much, yeah. Her toolkit is fairly limited, but all the moves she does have are simple, quick, and effective.

quote:

Kensei is going to be regarded as a bad character because it has the katana and that attracts a lot of people who will tend to suck and make it look bad.
Barely anybody ever seems to play Kensei. Instead, the worst of the weeaboos are drawn to Orochi due to that whole ninja-flair. Also, Kensei is actually using a nodachi, not a katana :spergin:

quote:

Conqueror and Raider being beefy and high potential damage, but are too slow to reliably get off more then light attacks that barely do any damage compared to fast attacks from a light class and probably suffer at higher skill levels because of the slow attacks being easily avoided.
At higher levels, almost no character can reliably get heavy attacks through without some sort of setup or trickery. The Raider actually has pretty good setups for that, being able to easily stun and throw enemies into walls. Conqueror does struggle a bit there, mostly because he cannot feint and is more reliant on luring his opponents into mistakes.

quote:

Nobushi and Peacekeeper being on the strong end because of bleeds while still having good fast damage even without the bleed.

Kinda, yeah. Much of the combat revolves around creating and seizing momentary opportunities and then cramming as much damage in there as possible before the enemy can get out of it. So the ability to cause pretty severe damage with just a single move (that's also relatively easy to land) makes them very potent.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So with the open beta coming up there'll probably a whole lot of first-time players, so I figured I'd do a little write-up about things that aren't immediately obvious from the tutorials. On that note, the tutorials are good and useful and you should definitely play them, particularly the advanced one found in the “How to Play” section. Not only are there important game concepts in there, they'll also give you a bunch of ingame currency to get you started.

General tips:

• If you're on PC, consider trying out both a controller as well as m+kb. The former's a bit more intuitive and relaxed, but the latter tends to make it easier to pull off certain moves like feints or defensive stances.

• Watch the advanced tutorial videos for whatever characters you're interested in playing. There are usually some very useful things in there.

• Be wary of overusing heavy attacks. Yes, they do a whole lot of damage, but even a fairly mediocre player will usually be able to easily block or even parry them. Avoid opening with a heavy, instead use them primarily to exploit an opportunity when your opponent is stunned, staggered, or otherwise indisposed.

• A flaming effect on an attack combined with a lightning bolt symbol indicates that it is unblockable. A violet tint means it inflicts a bleeding damage over time effect. A white flash across the entire character means it's uninterruptable.

• Unblockable attacks that deal damage can be parried (but not blocked, obviously) like a regular attack. This applies primarily to the Kensei's overhead and the Raider's horizontal swing. This does not work for unblockables that just stagger (e.g. Warden's shoulderbash, Conq's shieldbash) or that are part of a counterattack (e.g. Orochi's deflect, Warden's top counter).

• The precise speed and damage of attacks does vary a bit depending on their direction. As a rule of thumb, attacks from the top (particularly heavy ones) tend to be somewhat slower but also more damaging than those from the sides.

• When you're trying to gang up on an enemy in a group fight and you're at their back, avoid just throwing regular attacks at them. Attacks coming from the outside are incredibly easy to block, and will only fill up their revenge meter. Instead, focus on guardbreaks and whatever unblockable attacks you have, and leave the actual killing to their primary target.

• When you yourself are ganged up upon, focus primarily on your defense to fill up your revenge gauge. Stay mobile to avoid being guardbroken. Note that you can actually parry attacks coming from the outside just like you would those of your targeted enemy.

• The best time to activate revenge is when you're just about to be hit. This will automatically parry that attack and throw your enemy to the ground, opening them up to several very powerful hits while you do extra damage and cannot be interrupted. Try to save it until you're in a good position to outright kill one of your enemies while they're down.

• Guardbreaks cannot be dodged, except by pre-emptively rolling backwards out of range. Make use of this when you're up against one of those annoying assassins who just keep dodging circles around you.

• Speaking of guardbreaks, the window for countering them is a little counterintuitive. It actually starts just before you're hit, and lasts until a few fractions of a second after it connects. There's a section in the advanced tutorial where you can practice this.

• When an opponent is out of stamina, guardbreaking and throwing them will knock them prone. Use this to get in a guaranteed heavy attack or two.

• It varies a bit from character to character exactly what kind of attack you're guaranteed to get through after certain setups. As a rule of thumb: A regular guardbreak can be followed by a single light attack, a heavy one will only connect for some certain characters. Throwing somebody into a wall or obstacle guarantees a single heavy. A successful parry usually only allows for a light attack, but often also for a guaranteed guardbreak.
On to the (likely to be playable) characters:

Warden
The Warden is kind of the “default” class, and falls squarely into the “easy to learn; hard to master” niche. She's got a very basic moveset, but at the same time the moves she does have are very useful and efficient. A variety of fast and powerful light attacks allow you to keep harrying and wearing down your opponents very quickly. Note that to do the quick two-hit sideways light combo, you may not switch directions between the first and the second attack. Your area attack (pressing both attack buttons at the same time) comes out incredibly fast and is near guaranteed to catch your enemy by surprise, but at a significant stamina cost. The charging shoulder bash can be canceled into a regular guardbreak, offering a decent mixup. If you've got an enemy in a corner, you can actually get sort of an infinite combo going alternating the bash and heavy attack, at least while your stamina lasts. Last but not least, your top light attack is both very fast and has an automatic counterattack property, so definitely feel free to make heavy use of it.

Raider
Compared to the Warden, the Raider trends somewhat towards the slightly slower but more powerful style. The ability to cancel heavy attacks into the leaping pommel-strike is incredibly useful and should be part of your bread-and-butter repertoire. Your unblockable attack looks cool and does huge damage, but it's very obvious and easy to counter. Your best hope of getting it through is by surprising your opponent with it after stunning them through either the pommel-strike or by charging them into a wall. Either of those will screw up their vision for a moment, making the attack more difficult to see coming. Note that if you use your running charge to merely throw an enemy to the ground you are actually not guaranteed to hit them with a heavy attack, so stick with just a light one in that case.

Kensei
Among vanguards, Kensei trends more towards more mobile side of things. His forward dodge followed by a guardbreak is a great way of catching opponents off guard at range, and allows you to get in easy guaranteed heavy attacks. If you do a top light attack as the second one of your combo, it turns into a very quick and difficult-to-anticipate stab. Kensei is something of a one-trick pony, but with a very good trick: All of his moveset works towards comboing into his unblockable heavy overhead. They key there is that this overhead can also be canceled into a heavy uninterruptable sideways attack making. This is very difficult for your enemy to anticipate, and there's no safe way out it outside of dodge-rolling backwards out of range entirely.

Conqueror
Conqueror's defensively oriented, and relies heavily on being good with your timing. Your main gameplan is to bait your enemy into attacks, and then punish those with your superior block property during a heavy attack. The windup for your heavy attack is particularly useful for that, as it tend to lure opponents in while also increasing your damage. On open ground your shield-bash is only so-so in terms of utility, since it can only be followed by a light attack. But when your opponent has their back towards a wall or corner you can get a semi-infinite combo going by alternating it with heavy attacks, just like the Warden.

Warlord
Warlord is a little like the Conqueror, but more geared towards putting constant heavy pressure on your enemy in exchange for a relatively lower damage output. His headbutt after a forwards-dodge is one of the fastest unblockables in the game, and can be followed up by an unavoidable light attack. Even better, just like the Warden's shoulderbash it can be canceled into a regular guardbreak. One often overlooked ability is that when you throw a guy, you can hold the button to significantly increase the range of the throw. Together with the headbutt and your quick combos, you can force an enemy against a wall and just keep on pummeling them until you run out of stamina or they run out of blood.

Nobushi
Nobushi's all about poking, baiting, and punishing. The first thing to note is that your regular combos are kind of a trap: Their second attacks come out so slowly that they'll almost always be blocked unless your enemy seriously messes up. Fortunately, there's a way around that: Your Hidden Stance allows you to initiate a combo starting with the second attack, turning your mediocre 3x light attack combo into a very quick and potent 2x one. This combination is usually one of your best initiators, since it does decent damage and leaves the enemy little time to react and block. In fact, your Hidden Stance is one of your greatest assets, use it liberally in place of a regular dodge whenever possible for an easy but powerful punish. It's also a shortcut to get out a quick kick, which will often catch an opponent by surprise.

Peacekeeper
Peacekeeper's core move is the triple stab after a guardbreak, which causes severe bleeding damage. The number of stabs you can get in (between one and three) depends entirely on your own timing, so make sure to get that down. You can also stop after the second stab and finish it with a throw, which can be a good way to keep up pressure if there's a wall to throw your enemy into. Another big advantage is that you get a guaranteed guardbreak after successfully parrying an attack, which of course gives you another opportunity to get your stab on.

Berserker and Orochi
I haven't played as these very much yet, so I can't really comment on them in depth. All I can really say from playing against them is not to rely on your dodge-attacks too much, as they give away your direction of attack. And as Orochi, make sure you only do your backwards-dodge Storm Rush (where you put the sword down to your side) as a punish against a whiffed enemy atttack. If you just try it openly against a ready opponent you're almost guaranteed to get parried and everyone will laugh at you. If you charge it up and realise you don't have a window, remember that you can just cancel out of it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Will all of the classes be playable in the open beta?

Most of them. From the current look of things, three will likely be absent: Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and Shugoki. They've had pretty wonky balance the last time they were in, so they're probably being overhauled at the moment. Who knows, perhaps they'll get re-added before the beta ends. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

Which classes have cool skull cosmetics?? This is very important for my decision on a main. I'm leaning conqueror/kensei right now.

Raider has a cool helmet that's basically a skull covering your upper face. I don't think anybody else has particularly skull-y items, but then again Kensei does have helmets that incorporate a sweet moustache. Plus of course you can customise your personal emblem to show a skull and have it displayed on your armour or shield with pretty much any character. :skeltal:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trillhouse posted:

I think they're all good changes. I think the Warlord will still be really good even though he got nerfed so much. He was nutso in CB.

Yeah, his headbutt is arguably the best unblockable in the game, and likely will continue to be so even without the cancelability into a regular guardbreak. It's also nice they did something about the full block stance. You didn't see it quite as often in regular play, but if you were quick on the draw you could basically just use the stance in place of regular blocks and answer every attack with an instant counter.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is u-play down or is it just for me.

Yeah, it seems to have exploded under the strain. If you're still in game, I suggest not quitting out of it, you probably won't get back in for a while. On the plus side, shortly before the whole thing buckled there were close to 150,000 players online. :toot:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dosvidanya posted:

this but also every time you do a match you can place reinforcements on a site or attack in the area you did the match in

So if you're a Knight and you do a Dominion match and win, you can place a knight icon on a tile and that bolsters the defense. But if you do a 2v2 brawl and that's currently on the Viking/Samurai border, you can't place anything at all. You've essentially wasted your time if you care about the faction war.

Whereas in closed beta Vikings could queue for anything and get faction points leading to them stomping over everything lol

You totally can place faction war points even to fronts you're not actively fighting at, just at a somewhat reduced rate. Besides, if you don't place your assets into a particular area, the points are just spread around all the territories.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

None of the video tutorials show how to perform the "grab guy and toss him" move with the warden as seen in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubN8qYjXZ2s

how :(

That's the throw, you get it in the first tutorial. Guardbreak once to stun them, them immediately guardbreak them again to throw them. Press your movement key into whatever direction you want to throw them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone rebind any keys for mouse and keyboard? clicking middle house for guard break is a no go for me and at the moment rebound it to mouse wheel scrolling until I find a better button.

I put guard break on a thumb button, and defensive stance (relevant for Warlord, Conqueror, and Nobushi) on another thumb button. If you don't have those, e is also a decent place for guardbreak.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fadam posted:

Game is DoA on PC. Queues for 1v1 are taking forever.

That seems to be just a matter of the matchmaking algorithm being unusually picky and/or finicky. Back in the alphas with just ~5,000 players you could usually find a match within about 20 seconds. Taking that much longer with a playercount of about 150,000 means it can only really be a bug or badly set parameters. Not to mention that 2v2 and 4v4 modes find games right quick.

Anyhow, jump attacks are without fail the best thing:
http://i.imgur.com/S9koRj0.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

How exactly are you supposed to play the moba mode?

I love the duel/brawl modes, but elimination or domination or whatever it's called invariably boils down to a one-vs-everyone slaughter or a button mashing clusterfuck of people. I've been known to enjoy a moba or two in the past, so I think I could like it if I knew how to play it. Maybe I just need to get better at the game in general?

The thing is that it's really not all that moba-ish aside from the presence of some AI-controlled dudes for you to slaughter when you're not busy doing something else. It plays more like a battlefield-style conquest mode.

Basically, you've got three control points that you want to conquer. For the A and C points you conquer them simply by standing on them, for the central B point to kill enough AI-dudes for your own side to push forwards. While you've got control of a CP, it will passively give your team 1 point per second, and also give you a flat 100 "temporary" points that will be lost again the moment you lose the CP. The goal is to get beyond 1000 points, which disables respawn for enemy players, and then kill all the enemy players. Note that if the enemy team manages to take enough CPs from you to push your points total back below 1000, respawn is re-enabled for them. It's also possible for both teams to get 1000+ points at the same time, which means the whole thing basically turns into a sudden death where the last team standing wins.

Now, a key dynamic here is that you can increase the amount of points a CP gives you. For A and C, you merely need to to stand on an owned CP to "boost" it, which will give you 2 points per second instead of the regular 1 per second. For the central one, you can wade in and slaughter the minions at 1 point per kill. Conversely, while you contest an enemy point by standing on it (A or C only), it will not yield any points at all.

So what does this mean for the individual player? Basically it's fine to be opportunistic. Just killing enemy players does not do much by itself, though it is of course advantageous since it gives you an advantage in numbers to capture further points. When you see a larger group of enemies coming your way, don't be afraid to just turn tail and avoid them, or lure them towards your own allies. Capturing and holding a point even just for a few seconds is usually worth more than getting a kill. Similarly, occupying two or more enemy players for a prolonged time can be worth it as long as the rest of your team manages to capture their CPs in the meantime. On the whole, think more in terms of securing points for your team than getting kills.

Generally what we've found to be a good meta is to have one player squat semi-permanently on the point nearest to your spawn, defending and boosting it. Two players hang around near B, fending off enemies and making extra points by killing minions. The fourth one runs interference, either reinforcing one of those CPs when they're outnumbered, or rushing past and contesting the CP near the enemy spawn when there's an opportunity.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mercedes posted:

I feel the spear ninja's little back dodge with the I frame is a little op. How do you counter it?

Like all dodges, it does nothing against guardbreaks, so that's a feasible counter if you can land it. Additionally, I'm reasonably sure that the i-frames only apply if the Nobushi is close to the edge of a given attack. So if she's significantly within your reach, she should still get hit. Last but not least, with sufficiently fast attacks there's a chance to hit her with a followup before her own counterattack comes out.

Basically, the best general tactic against Nobushi seems to get in really close, and keep strong constant pressure on her with various light attacks and guardbreaks. She actually has a small but not insignificant delay when switching from one guard to another, so rapid switches in attack directions can lead to attacks slipping through that would be easily blocked by other characters.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I got a double attack sword blade and a double throw range sword guard on kensei and it's ridiculous. I hope that random drops don't decide who gets the best gear, because this poo poo is insane.

Remember that you can just upgrade any piece of gear for salvage and steel. You get swamped in so many rank 1 items that you can just pick out whichever one has the stat you like and boost it up to a rank in line with the rest of your equipment.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

The mode is fine but the powerups and ease of revive are doing their absolute best to ruin it.

Yeah, the powerups are basically a snowballing mechanic that mostly just make it easier for the winning team to win even harder. Whoever manages to get the first kill can rush to a powerup, approach the next fight with a significant advantage, get more powerups, and at that point it's almost over. Together with the reviving I've rarely seen a team make a comeback after being put on the backfoot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carmant posted:

The fact that it's P2P is really bad though

P2P really isn't all that bad anymore. Average connection speed has drastically improved, as have various interpolation and compensation technologies. P2P's the standard in 2D fighting games, where fine precise timing is even more important than here. Back in 200x it was a huge deal to have it in something like a shooter, but at this point the difference to a dedicated server is not nearly as severe as it used to be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornbuckle and Blaze from mk2 RETURN

Owns. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Is there any point to the Berserkers "dodge into attack" skill really at this stage? I find it easier to pull off parries (cause i learnt that first i guess) and you can guardbreak people for free after a parry anyway.

It combos directly into a guaranteed guardbreak, which in turn can be used to either start a chain with a light or hit them with the heavy 4-hit twirl attack. Or to just knock them down somewhere.

Evil Canadian posted:

Also hot reminder: Remember to turn on toggle lock so you don't constantly have to hold on to your lockon while fighting. It should be that way by default but it isn't so :shrug:

Toggle lock was hella unreliable in one of the earlier alphas, so I guess that's why hold to lock is still the default. It can also come in handy in group fight, since it's a very quick way to disengage and re-engage, and to cancel out of executions.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You gotta love it when people run and very conspicuously stand next to a cliff, because they can't hack it in a regular fight. Just makes it even more satisfying when they get their comeuppance:
http://i.imgur.com/TZz3OKU.mp4

Also, I'll never get tired of this bug:
http://i.imgur.com/lLxMDlf.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

he is the only class i have issues with as a nobushi

gently caress his blocking and stunning and unblocksble bullsit fuckery

Yeah, the headbutt remains amazingly powerful even without the mixup. Very short windup, knocks back, can't be dodged backwards, window for sideways dodging is very narrow, and worst of all it's almost entirely safe. So even when you do manage to anticipate it (because good luck dodging it on reaction alone) and dodge it, chances are you you don't even get to punish it. Some characters have a decent chance at interrupting it with a light attack, but the slower ones are kind of boned.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hypha posted:

So, like new Lawbringer looks sweet. I am now hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0avrEUx21bg

Oh hey, I think that unblockable swing is new. But really, the main issue with Lawbringer was that a great many of his moves required a significant setup but didn't lead into anything. For example, that one slow and obvious unblockable where he picks up the opponent and throws them over his back didn't actually guarantee to land any followup attack that couldn't just be blocked. Similarly, he had three moves that required a successful parry to pull off, but two of them were slow as hell and could be blocked. And the one that was guaranteed to hit was a regular old light attack that didn't even chain into anything. So here's hoping they did something about that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Are there more than 3 different looking items per armour slot? Weapons seem to get 5 or 6.

I want a chestpiece for my conq that doesn't block the emblem, but all three I've found so far have chest straps.

Every time you reach a new level of reputation (i.e. every 20 levels) with a character, you unlock a new set of items with new visuals for them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I don't ever imagine that I'm going to get good enough at this game to utilize feints effectively. I can barely cancel a peacemaker heavy into a dagger jab correctly

If you want a bit of practice with the general application of feints, try the Berserker. He can cancel any heavy into a dodge, which in turn leads into a fairly quick light attack that can be chained off of. That way you can get a good feel for when and where feinting effective while being able to use simpler inputs than what regular feints require.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fadam posted:

The Steam version of this still runs through Uplay, right? I'm trying to become less depressed about buying a Uplay copy

Yeah, the whole thing goes through Uplay. Which, while I still wouldn't call it good by any measure, has at least become reasonably usable at this point.

Garrand posted:

It's fast but it's kinda short ranged. I main Berserker and don't get hit by it very often. Frankly the Warden and the Warlord have more annoying guardbreaks. Of course, I haven't figured out the timing on any of the guard-break breaks so take that as you will.

That's a big part of what fucks me up. I've gotten used to the parry and deflect timings but I always guard break too early.

The additional issue is that she also gets a non-counterable guardbreak on a Parry. Most characters only get a single light or heavy guaranteed after a Parry, which usually translates to about 1 bar of health. Peacekeeper takes approximately 30-40% of the total lifebar of most characters instead, which is somewhat out of line compared to the rest of the cast. Especially considering she's still got a very decent moveset even without the stab.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Technically only the berserker gets an uncounterable guardbreak on a deflect, peacemaker gets an uncounterable shank on a deflect. I could be wrong.

edit: by shank i mean a single jab, not the triple stab

I'm talking about the parry (i.e. hit heavy attack as you block), not the deflect. As it stands, parrying is actually more beneficial for her than going for a deflect.