Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This game is fun, but not fun enough to buy at release for me. I'll probably buy it on sale, play through the campaign, and then try online only to die repeatedly to all the pros that have been playing since alpha.

I had a lot of success last night with Warden's special unblockable parry. Instead of using heavy attack to parry, use light attack. The caveat is that it only works on overhead attacks. It's fast, unblockable, and does a shitload of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

After not liking the game when I first started the closed beta, I really came around to love it after giving it a second chance. Realizing the counter to guard break spam was judicious use of light attacks and not trying to hit the narrow counter guard break window made it a lot more fun. I could finally crush those guys that just guard break, heavy attack or guard break, throw off ledge. The game really favors aggression and it really began to "click" for me when I started taking the lead and pushing the pace.

What classes are you guys going to main for the open beta? I played Warden in the closed beta and I'm tempted to just go back to it because landing a Crushing Counter feels so good and the double light attack to charge combo is one of the best in the game. I really want to get good with Berserker too. Not many people played it and i think they're sleeping on the class. The infinite combo is insane and they have great throwing ability.

I also want to try Lawbringer because Counter-strikers are really fun and he looks cool. Hopefully they allow us to use him this time.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Indecisive posted:

Berserker just doesn't have much going on I feel, like all he has that isn't basic moves is the infinite chain (which is pretty much just basic attacks) and the charging overhead strike. If you open up the movelist it's like 3 things while other classes have like a page and a half of stuff.

I can see that. They have a gnarly uncounterable mini-guardbreak on deflect and dodge cancels but lack the flashiness of the Peacekeeper's triple stab or whatever else.

I think Kensei is the worst class though. Slow as hell and his unblockable attacks are so slow that any decent player will easily parry them. It seems like you have to feint and parry a lot get to the same level the other heroes get without doing that. If you're playing the game for the first time during open beta, don't believe the little bio that says he's an "easy" character.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Perestroika posted:

The key to Kensei...
Well great, now I'm going to add Kensei to the list of characters I have to check out. Great post.

Warden, Berserker, Warlord, Kensei. Maybe conquerer too. And the new classes if we get a chance. Sheesh there's too much.

It's hard to beat loving up a Peacekeeper that keeps using the Overhead dash attack with Warden's Crushing Counter. So many people played PK that I got pretty good at sussing out their tricks.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dominion mode (the 4v4 mode) was kind of a shitshow in closed beta. A single good player will who knows how to use revenge mode well will tip the entire balance in his team's favor. It definitely had the least skilled players on average compared to 2v2 and duels. Expect a lot of people using the one combo they know is good for their class (see: Peacekeepers with the guard break into triple stab) or loitering near ledges to throw people off. Or running away unless they outnumber you. So until people get a lot more experience I doubt team comp will matter too much. Play whatever you think is fun.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The biggest cheese I see a lot of people falling for is guard break spam. You can counter this by hitting guard break yourself just as they touch you(the tutorials will help you practice) but the window for landing the counter is very narrow. In an actual battle, unless you've got a ton of practice or are already great at fighting games, you'll usually miss it.

Luckily there's an easier way to fight a guard break spammer: judicious use of light attacks and aggression. If you're in the light attack animation, or partly into a heavy attack animation, the guard break does nothing and they can't block the attack. For new players I highly recommend just loving attacking them constantly instead of trying to hit the CGB. New players in general either abuse whatever move they think is OP or play too defensively. When I started pushing the action I did much, much better.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Nechronic posted:

BOW B4 DUEL

For actual content: there are situations when it is safer to let your teammate finish their 1v1 rather than risk filling up the enemy's revenge meter, right?

Personally I like to spectate my teammate if I beat my opponent first. It's just fun to see if they can handle it on their own and cheer for them if they do. I also get somewhat annoyed when people jump in to help me out when I'm already winning. I can handle it just fine on my own guyz! Jeeze.

But to answer your question I think the best tactic for 2v1ing someone is to have one person attack while the other just keeps pressing guard break. If you're playing with randoms this usually means you're the one GBing. That keeps their revenge from getting too high and maybe get you some free hits.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 8, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

panda clue posted:

Lots of conquerer's love to spam this; I eventually learned you can easily sidestep it to the right if you catch onto them. The viking headbutt, however, I could never figure out. Attack, block, backstep, sidestep - nothing seemed to work against that bullshit if they abused the hell out of it.

Thankfully the head butt has been significantly nerfed for open beta.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there notes somewhere? This is all news to me.

code:
Orochi changes:
Fixed Storm Rush stamina penalty on Parry
Attack indicator is now visible during the run part of Storm Rush

Peacekeeper changes:
Zone Attack range reduced from 4,3m to 3,5m
Bleed damage on stabs decreased.

Warlord changes:
Headsplitter Leap (forward dash heavy attack) range reduced from 4m to 3,5m
Headsplitter Leap (forward dash heavy attack) stamina damage reduced from 40 to 20
Headbutt can no longer be canceled into guardbreak
Full Block Stance entry stamina cost increased from 5 to 15
Dash forward range reduced
Headbutt costs more stamina
Headbutt removes less stamina on hit and can't be cancelled into gb

Kensei Changes:
Increased HP from 120 to 125
Light attack damage increased to 20 from 15
Helmsplitter (forward dash attack) damage increased to 20 from 15

Swift strike (side dash attacks) damage increased to 20 from 15
Fixed bug on side dash where you could go into the top heavy after dash.

I think they're all good changes. I think the Warlord will still be really good even though he got nerfed so much. He was nutso in CB.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Leonard Leroy posted:

Is the open beta available on the PSN store for preloading? I can't find it listed there. Every article says the PS4 beta is up for download as a preload.
Here you go friend:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ver=4.20.9:home

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Hypha posted:

Guess I know now what my first few hours will also look like.

Do the tutorial, then the advanced tutorial, then the bots. The game is pretty good about teaching you everything you need to know and explaining how to do it. Thankfully it's a lot more comprehensive than "here's your move set and a training dummy that doesn't move. Good luck!"

The level 2 bots basically mimic a moderately skilled player that knows their fighter's moves, strengths, and weaknesses. I'm a fighting game novice and barely played multiplayer until I could win most of my bot 2 games. I was surprised at how much easier the other players were after that. Especially in dominion.

The nice thing about For Honor is that if there's an easy to execute cheese move that keeps beating you, there's probably an equally easy and simple way to counter it. So if anyone in this thread is having trouble with guard break spam or some other one note strategy, please, please, please ask here and we can point you in the right direction. It's a fun game but until it "clicks" it can be extremely frustrating with lots of cheap feeling deaths.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Kiffetastic posted:

Also this game is hard.

What are you having trouble with? I'm pretty good at the game and stuck at work without much to do so I'd be happy to help.

That goes for anyone else just starting the game too. Tell us what character you're playing or what is killing you a lot and I'm sure myself or others can help you out.

If you're just starting for the first time, do the basic tutorial, the advanced tutorial, and then training against the level 1 bot. When you beat it consistently, hop online. If you're like me and want more practice and experience before playing online start a custom match with 99 rounds and a level 2 bot. The level 2 bot is seriously tough (especially the berserker I found) and once you get the hang of beating it you'll find other human players comparatively easy.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You'll learn more, quicker, from level 2 bots than you will from new players, but I understand most people will probably want to just hop in and chop some heads online because it's more fun. Just depends on what kind of person you are I guess.

If you want to smoke weed, play Dominion, and throw people off ledges all match while pelvic thrusting then by god you should do it. Because it's hilarious and fun.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hm apparently there never was any peacekeeper bleed nerf in the first place? I know I read patch notes saying it was down by like 75% but no :shrug:

I'm hearing it was a bug for the live stream yesterday. Which is a loving bummer and I know if I get matches against a Ubisoft person I'm picking PK and spamming that move while taunting them.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5t18mv/qa_on_for_honors_online_system/?st=IYYRZDH0&sh=145f5409

Here's a pretty good read on how the Online System works. Of particular note, they have a system designed to eliminate host advantage by making everyone run a synchronized simulation. This is used in most fighting games nowadays.

Also closed beta had a matchmaking bug where it was matching people from different continents together. They've fixed it for PC but the XB1 and PS4 patches won't be active until release.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lalaland posted:

This is a fun game. I took berserker because she had that unwashed barbarian woman appeal and I have no idea what I am doing but flailing wildly and screaming seems to be good enough to take down these bots :v:

Berserker is a great class! And you're playing her exactly how she should be played. I mean...why play a Berserker if not to go berserk?

Here's a great guide on them if you want more info: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1551940-Hall-of-Heroes-Berserker-Guide

The main mechanics of Berserkers are the infinite combo and deflect guard break. The infinite combo is started by alternating light and heavy attacks. After 4 attacks you gain dauntless status, which means you lose less stamina, take less damage, and can't be interrupted. New players get loving wrecked by this. You have to parry out of it basically and newbs can't parry, or just don't know how to defend. You can end the combo at any time by using a top heavy attack. This does extra damage.

The deflect guard break is fun too. If you dodge in the same direction someone attacks, you get a short window of time where they can't guard. You can hit them with a light attack, or better yet, throw them off a ledge. Or into a wall for a free heavy attack. Or into spikes. You get the idea.

A good base plan as you get started (this worked extremely well for me) is Spin Chop to close distance, then try to get your combo going. If they attack try to get a deflect into throw but honestly, if you've got dauntless status you can just trade with them and come out on top.

Edit:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone rebind any keys for mouse and keyboard? clicking middle house for guard break is a no go for me and at the moment rebound it to mouse wheel scrolling until I find a better button.

Some crazies bind guard break to left mouse button. It has the most narrow timing and you should always, always be prepared for a guard break so you can counter. I think it's actually not a bad idea.

Seriously. If someone is doing anything at all other than attacking, be ready to CGB. Hell against Peacekeepers just assume their whole strategy is landing as may guard breaks as possible. It probably is.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Faction wars is noninteresting poo poo. Sword and axe fightin is great.

I like the game a lot but yeah, I don't understand the point of faction wars at all. It boils down to "guess a faction. You have a 1/3 chance of getting extra goodies at the end of a season."

If it had sub-clans and you could make an SA clan and battle other clans in nearby areas, then maybe it would be more interesting. With so many players why should I even bother distributing war assets? It's not fun and probably won't make a difference.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Finally got home and got some Warden 1v1 in before matchmaking started stalling out.

1st guy: His whole strategy was using the Raider charge to knock you off ledges. He takes the first match 2-3 because I'm rusty and forgot what happens when two people charge into eachother. I play another set of games and 3-0 him. He quits.

2nd guy: First match he plays Warden too. It's pretty even and he lands some nice parries but I edge him out 3-2. Next match he switches to Raider and goes into beast mode, parrying seemingly at will, landing counter guard breaks, feinting, etc I take a single win when i spawn with my back to the ledge and wait for him to charge. He does and I dodge and toss him over. He's a good sport about it. Next match he plays Raider again and I lose again, 2-3.

3rd guy: He plays Warlord and has a bunch of great parries and stuns. We go 3-2 and 2-3.

4th guy: Another good Warden. I forget who won

Wtf? I didn't expect people to know what they're doing, let alone execute feints and poo poo. Are all the new bad players doing dominion or something?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is reputation and how do you gain it?

Basically prestige. You can start leveling another character again after you finish level 20.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Welp after a few matches I can safely say move over Warden because I'm a Warlord main now. Something about that class just clicks. It's supposed to be a defensive counter hitter but I've been having a lot of success with sheer aggression. The uninterruptible heavy attacks are great against assassin characters. I just get a few hits in and trade shot for shot until they're dead.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I broke his streak. Never felt more satisfied in a game in a long rear end time.
What strategy did he use? What strategy did you use?

Round 5 must have been loving intense!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Songbearer posted:

Christ I just don't loving recognise guard breaks. I can parry consistently and I'm okay during fights but I'll never counter a guard break because it just doesn't register with me until after they've done it and I'm falling off a cliff or getting a free sword hit to my face over and over until I'm dead.

That little red shield icon doesn't help me at all. I must be missing something but it's my main source of frustration currently

Guard breaks are probably the hardest thing to get a handle on when you're starting. You need to anticipate them anytime you're in range unless they're mid attack. "Guard break beats guard, guard beats attack, attack beats guard break" is a good maxim to remember.

Don't get too hung up on Counter Guard Breaking. I know it makes logical sense that the counter to GB is CGB, but light attacks are a better counter against players spamming GB. The CGB is hard to hit unless you have a ton of fighting game experience, and even the top For Honor players miss them often.

A good basic strategy against this type of player is to use an opener that closes distances and attack, then start stringing light attacks together (heavy too if you're character has faster heavies). Don't even worry about guarding. Keep attacking (be very aggressive) and none of his guard breaks will work and, because he's not blocking, all your shots will land clean. If he starts blocking, throw or a guard break instantly, throw him off a ledge or into a wall. When you run out of stamina, retreat.

The key is aggression. Dont worry about CGB for now. Just go all out on GB spammers.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

GUIDE TO DOMINION (because lots of people aren't getting it)

(A lot of good stuff)

Thank you for this post. I've only really done 1v1 so this was illuminating to me. All add this graphic too. It helps you understand how renown works and what gets you renown points for your character.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nKH4x

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You can create a custom game with a bot class of your choice and set the number of rounds to 99.

You can chose from level:
  • 0 (doesn't attack or block),
  • 1(new player that knows the basic moves of their class)
  • 2 (experienced player that knows all the moves of their class and how to play it. hits counter guard breaks often and parries)
  • 3 (god level).

If you need a comprehensive guide to all elements of your class, chose one below:

Guide to the Warden + Advanced Mechanics

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

These guides helped me a ton.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 11, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This is more for the lower to midlevel skill level. Higher level players are obviously trickier but less likely to just spam guard break. If you're up against them then you're probably pretty good yourself and don't need my help.

If you're on a bridge or near a ledge. Here's my gameplan.
  1. Get close enough so that you can land a leaping or charging attack (most characters have them). While you're doing this be certain to cover the guard break button in case he charges so you can land a counter guard break. You want to act fast though because you don't want to give him a chance to try and throw if you can. The CGB window is pretty small and hard to hit.
  2. After you leap or charge, start light attacking without any hesitation (this is important). Turn it into a chain or use an unblockable or uninterruptable.
  3. If they're trying to guard break, all of your attacks will go through and his guard breaks will all fail. Keep attacking. Don't give them room to breathe. If you run low on stamina, dodge back a few times quickly, catch your breath, and start again.
  4. What's more likely to happen is he'll try to guard break but start eating shots, so he'll start blocking because if he doesn't, he dies. The millisecond you see him block a shot or try to block, hit guard break. It will probably go through. Hit guard break again and toss him.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

For whatever reason, Warlord and Berserker are easily my least favorite opponents. Good players of both of those are just scary.

But it doesn't seem to translate to Conquerors, who I'm not as afraid of. Good Peackeepers and Orochi are pretty nasty too though. (But there's lots of bad Orochi lol)

I've been playing mostly Warlord this beta. It's such a weird class. On paper he seems kinda poo poo. Low range. Kinda fast but not really.. Gasses quickly.

But his skills are so strong. The headbutt is fast and unblockable/unparryable. It closes distance and drains stamina so it helps mitigate his low stamina. Every Heavy Attack is uninterruptable and they have decent speed. In a brawl when both people are attacking he has the advantage. The leaping attack is parryable but it's good for closing distance and helps mix up your headbutts. Block and counter is very fast. Shield bash is basically a better parry. His zone attack covers a lot of distance and is fast. And a lot of these moves can come out of perfect defense so he can be unpredictable.

Oh and you have shield charge for environmental kills over distance if you land a guard break.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Guard break is directionless. As a new player if you get in the habit of attacking until they block, and then guard breaking as soon as they do, you'll win a lot of fights.

After you guard break however, if you press guard break again, you perform a throw and THAT has a direction. You want to either throw them off a ledge (obviously) or into a wall or other solid object.

If you throw them into a wall, they're stunned longer and you can usually land a heavy attack before they get a chance to block. This depends on your character though and it can be weird. Warden, for example, can land side heavies but not top heavies unless he's already in the top stance when he throws.

If they're out of stamina when you throw (their bar is grey) then they fall supine on the ground. You can get a ton of damage in this way. I always try to get a throw in when they're fatigued.

------

I'm probably going to buy this. My only reservation is the balance. Some classes have much better movesets than others and right now the difference in health between a heavy class and an assassin class is less than 1 light attack worth of HP. Peacekeepers are ubiquitous and by far the best class, followed by Warden and Warlord. The rest just aren't quite up to snuff which sucks. I really hope the devs are active when balancing the game.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Can everyone choose a throw direction or is it just the assassin classes?

Everyone. The shield classes can push people pretty far too.

Some classes have better guard break abilities. Kensei can dash guardbreak which is useful. Raiders can carry. Berserkers get a short auto guardbreak off deflections.

Cowcaster posted:

The parry timing is hitting heavy attack right when the red direction mark of an attack flashes and gets huge, don't pay any attention to character animations. This is also the same timing for assassin class deflects, so basically assassins have deflects as a more effective parry.

The Warden has a special Parry against Top Attacks and it's one of the best moves in the game. All you do is use light attack instead of heavy attack with the same timing. It's called Crushing Counter. It parries, drains stamina and automatically sends out a super-fast unblockable light attack with the damage of a heavy attack.

Don't top attack Wardens.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Good information to know!

High level Warden duals can get...silly.

(What's happening here is Player 2 throws out a top heavy and in response Player 1 throws a top heavy to parry but P2 then feints his top heavy and so in response P1 feints his but P2 didn't catch P1's feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Crushing counter and instead P2 gets caught in P1s Crushing Counter.)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Psycho Society posted:

imo the best ability is definitely peacemaker's rushing guard break which leads to her body stab thing and welp there goes half your HP in one uncounterable combo

Yeah it's absolutely bonkers. The triple stab really needs a heavy nerf. The risk to reward for PK right now is way off.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The cool thing about Peacekeepr being so ridiculous is that it lets Warlord fly under the radar. He's all I've played open beta and all of his abilities are great. Compared to like, Kensei, it's night-and-day. Kensei gets like, a good guard break. And an uninterruptible that's so easy to parry it's mostly just used to feint. Warlord on the other hand has a ton of useful skills that you can mix up and be unpredictable with. Fast light attacks and EVERY heavy attack is uninterruptible and comes with hyper armor. If we trade shots, I always win playing Warlord because I take less damage and interrupt the other guys attacks. His don't interrupt mine though!

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I don't get the game until tomorrow. What are you doing to make these people upset?

I can't wait to practice with Suge Knight.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Opening as Warden with top stance and zone attacking if they match your stance, while top lighting if they guard right, is pretty crazy. I opened every duel tonight like that and...I don't want to use the word broken... but it feels pretty broken. Both moves are too fast to react to so they're forced to guess.

Other than that every person I played tonight either had a closed beta border or gold edition. One dude had the mythic armor for Lawbringer. Game is tough but all of my games (my first with retail edition) went 5 rounds so I guess matchmaking knows what it's doing.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Atoramos posted:

Are there any other gotcha's like this? Or any way to get a feel for these kind of tips?

I'll just post these links again for you or anyone else that just got the game. They're a series of guides for every character and explain their unique mechanics and all their moves, as well as strategy. They even have nice little .gifs that show everything. They helped me a ton.

Guide to the Warden + Advanced Mechanics

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Darth Windu posted:

Thank you for these! Should probably be in the op. I'm excited to get home and try the warlord, been a bit bored with the warden since all I've played are the campaign stuff.

Warlord is my favorite class. He's super fun and maybe the second best class in the game behind Warden.

I can give a basic gameplan for a starting player. I'd recommend closing distance with the leaping heavy, the headbutt, or his zone attack. Mix it up so you're not predictable. Then try to land a light>heavy chain and go from there. Use the headbutt a lot, it helps keep their stamina down and has a guaranteed light attack after you land it. If they keep attacking a lot, remember you're heavy attacks are uninterruptable so Warlord comes out on top in a trading situation. Perfect defense (block down) is good against fast assassin classes that spam light attacks and dodge around. Then pop a headbutt out of nowhere.

If they're playing very defensively, headbutt into guardbreak into top heavy is very nice. Warlord can't land a side heavy after a guard break though. He has great parries too. Parry into guardbreak (timing here is very tight) throws out a shield bash move that usually saps all their stamina and gives you an opening for a guaranteed heavy attack. If they're out of stamina you can try throwing them again and they'll fall on their rear end on the ground. You can then land another heavy attack.

Warlord is strong because of all the options he has. Mix it up against good players.

d3lness posted:

Anybody have any info on Peacekeeper not working as intended? I've already searched on the first page/guide and google-fu'd a bit, but all I'm finding are glorious "nerf X" threads. For some reason, I've only heard the comment pop up on a few Twitch streams from both the streamers and viewers. Is this an actual problem or are people just making excuses for poor gameplay and losing?

I've heard the second and third attacks of the infamous triple stab don't do any damage anymore. I can't confirm though.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Every single person I've played since open beta has tried for the ledge kill when it's possible. Usually it's the first thing they do, to the point where now I always charge with a fast attack or uninterruptable when we're in ledge kill range. These are almost never blocked because they're halfway through the guard break animation when I attack.

I don't know where these "honorable" people are but I want to find them. And toss them off a cliff.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Razzled posted:

What exactly am I supposed to do when it goes into slow mo and there's like a orange icon after they hit me? Is that guard break or something else?

Orange attacks come in a few varieties:
  • Unblockable attacks like Shugoki's charge heavy. These are usually slow and, as you might guess, can't be blocked. You can interrupt them with a fast attack before their attack finishes. You can dodge the attack. Or you can parry the attack
  • Unblockable grabs like Raider has. These can't be parried (duh, because it's not an attack) but can be dodges or interrupted with an attack.
  • other poo poo like Warden's charge. Same rules as above. Special note while I'm on the subject: if a Warden is charging you, dodge/roll BACKWARDS always. Good Wardens can cancel the charge into a guard break against side dodges and it will land every time.

Similar to unblockable attacks, some characters have super-armor attacks. All of Warlord's heavy attacks gain this halfway through the animation, for example. If a character flashes WHITE that means they have super armor. These attacks CAN be blocked but CAN'T be interrupted. Heroes also take less damage in this state.

Shugoki features this uninterruptable super armor as his main mechanic. He has uninterruptable status for EVERYTHING until he takes damage. So his slow heavy attacks will always go through if you trade. After he takes damage he loses this status and it takes like 5-10 seconds to regain it. Also he takes more damage than other heroes without his super armor, so land consecutive shots on him and be aggressive. The warden's double light attack (she gets a guaranteed side light attack in if her first side light connects) is a great way to negate his advantage too.

If you're just getting started and you character has an unblockable attack, you can abuse it a lot against other newbies. Most can't parry or even don't know that you have to, so it's a lot of free damage.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 16, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The "15 seconds of unblockable attacks" skill in single player made it easy mode on realistic. I just spammed Heavy attacks and smashed everyone.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not what they're doing. They're not adjusting the window or letting you spam it. They're making it so if you throw guard break and somebody lands a guard break on you first, you can still get a chance to counter it.

Its purely for a situation where both players throw guardbreaks simultaneously.

There was also this weird issue where faster heroes could land an uncounterable guardbreak on slower heroes, even if they hit the guardbreak button second.

Ex: Lawbringer presses guardbreak. A split second later (almost simultaneously) Orachi presses guardbreak. Orachi's guardbreak touches Lawbringer first so his guardbreak is the one that "counts", even though he pressed the button second. Lawbringer doesn't get a counter guardbreak window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep if you attempt the parry then feint, if they feinted you will instead feint your attempted parry and not throw out your attack. Its not all gold and sunshine however as not all attacks connect at the same time/have the same animation length and you can absolutely miss a window start your heavy attack for parry feint it, then get smacked. For example a friend of mine in the beta was really big on going for it and got bopped pretty bad by the raiders heavy feint into axe pommel move.

Here's an example of parry/feint game taken to it's logical conclusion.

Trillhouse posted:

(What's happening here is Player 2 throws out a top heavy and in response Player 1 throws a top heavy to parry but P2 then feints his top heavy and so in response P1 feints his but P2 didn't catch P1's feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Crushing counter and instead P2 gets caught in P1s Crushing Counter.)