Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So is there any word on them actually planning to do anything about the connection issues? This game looks cool but I don't want to spend 60 bucks on something that's crippled by its use of 10-years-outdated networking schemes. I remember when Overwatch launched people bitched about dumb and cheapass networking decisions like having the servers run at 20 ticks/second but Blizzard actually acknowledged and fixed most of what people were complaining about. That'd be nice here, but Ubisoft is never one to inspire confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh hey I finally found the thread for this game.

Shaman is overpowered as hell. Her biggest offenders are her tackle, the jumping attack which I think is the only jumping attack that can attack in all three directions and has such a short reaction window and is also feintable (wtf?) and the unblockable heavy finsher that can be feinted into another direction OR into a guardbreak.

I also am having a ton of trouble with reacting to Aramusha canceling his unblockable into an attack from another direction as well as his infinite combo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I feel like far too often when I try to just keep my guard up while Aramausha is doing the infinite lights, my character still hasn't recovered from the getting hit animation from the last side hit by the time the top hit comes so I just can't block it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

They still haven't changed the 60 item limit... I don't understand why.

If there's one thing that gamers love to do it's go into their inventory every hour or so and break down items into omni-gel

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The lawbringer spearing-and-pushing that you can do after a parry is blockable.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I generally have had bad luck with both of the after-parry attacks getting blocked or parried so I just always do a guard break after parrying.

except sometimes I do the easily-parryable unblockable because the ADMORTEM INIMICUS rules

Once in a blue moon doing that actually works out if the enemy gets tunnel vision in parrying and countering it then burns all their stamina with the followup

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

People say the base characters aren't fun or viable but Lawbringer is in the base set so I dunno what they're talking about.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trogdor_666 posted:

What faction should I be picking on PC?[

It doesn't make any difference besides what shape your icon is (knights get a shield shape, vikings get a circle, samurais get a rectangle) and you get more bonus microtransaction currency based on what rank your faction is in territories owned at the end of each round of the Risk game but that's totally random and unpredictable. There's no bonus to lcharacter level progression for the knight characters if you pick the knight faction or anything like that.

That said the knights have a volcano in one of their Risk territories so they're the best.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 15, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh yeah the game is fun and I fire it up for a couple rounds every few days but prepare to lose a lot until you develop the muscle memory to mash the guard break button as soon as your opponent does so that you can escape the guard break.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the dedicated servers are apparently releasing literally tomorrow. No guess on my part whether they will work out the gate though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Did they make any changes to Zerker? She was my favorite but very difficult to win with as soon as that horrible dumbfucker Centurion was put into the game.

Yeah the patch they put out last week totally changed berserker along with conquerer and kensei to make them all a lot better, and smaller changes to nobushi and highlander.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I suck rear end at fighting games that aren't smash bros and I find this game not impossible because the moves don't really require complicated inputs.

I don't think that playing the AI translates terribly well to playing against people beyond learbibg movesets because the AI has cheater good reactions against some things like basic quick attacks but is really bad at things that most human opponents can do like parrying the big slow unblockable attacks that in online are most useful as misdirection.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Test Your Metal is pretty bullshit unless you abuse the bots' strange inability to parry the big slow unblockable attacks like I mentioned a few posts ago.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah parrying the charge stab pretty much determines whether you get steamrolled or can hold your own. Luckily most centurion players will just charge it every time and not try to vary it to trick you up.

I get hosed every time by Wardens that spam shoulder charge and react to a dodge with a cancel into guard break. The only thing I can find that reliably works is to unlock and roll away (so they get a knockback animation when they hit my character mid-roll) but that eats up a ton of stamina and ends up with them getting me out of stamina which always ends in pain. Is there a trick or are characters without Peacekeeper or Orochi-fast light attacks just hosed?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I read on Reddit that you can sacrifice defense and try to get it to be +0% because everyone piles on defense penetration which only works against the bonus gear defense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spb posted:

Thinking of checking this out, is starter edition ok?

There's apparently a free weekend literally this coming weekend so do that instead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah mixing up directions is a good idea.

Kensei's gimmick is you can cancel all the top heavy attacks in the combo into something else like a heavy from another direction or a light attack or a dodge or the super-abusable hilt strike (only on the first hit for the hilt strike).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ulio posted:

So when it is doing the top heavy animation you just press another action/button?

Yeah. Your guy will transition into the animation for the other attack. To your opponent it shows the top attack indicator (but not flashing) then it switches to whatever you cancel into.

Everyone (except conqueror) can also "feint" a heavy by pressing the feint button (B on Xbox controller) which is different because you go into default stance instead of an attack and also it does a "woosh" animation effect so you can tell when people are doing that. The special kensei canceling is different and tricky because it doesn't have the woosh.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Can't be worse than Conquerer.

I've tried New Conqueror a few times and timing the super block to do the super retaliation uppercut attack seems frustratingly impossible and I get a lot more mileage just wailing on people (I'm guessing people see so few conquerors they don't have the parry timings down as well).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It'll be good when they make Lawbringer good again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is the new mode good? Is it worth digging the invite to the beta teat out of my inbox and signing an NDA (wtf?) over it?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I play a lot of lawbringer and I often get dumpstered by wardens who just spam the shoulder bash. Classes who have a dodge-attack move like all the assassins and kensei can escape from the second or third bash-slash-slash but those without them just get to wait until the warden runs out of stamina. Or roll away to escape and eat the rest of their own stamina so the warden can just walk up to you and resume shoulder-bash spamming but now you have no way to escape.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Started playing this again a couple days ago and the breach mode is super fun. Whenever I play against someone using the new characters, especially the shaolin and jiang jun, I get my poo poo wrecked.

Buff lawbringer plz

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they probably have stats that say lawbringer has a high win rate which if is true is a function that the only people still playing him are freaks of nature who can parry absolutely everything (and also me)

they also nerfed the hell out of him in a recent patch because the AD MORTEM INIMICUS no longer plays when you do the top parry counter

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the aesthetic of grimdark edgelord cutscenes and character designs combined with the goofy dance animations that this game hae going on really works tho

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

only a handful of characters whose default helm covers their face get a helmet option that shows it. peacekeeper and nobushi do, and then some of the knights have helmets that reveal their eyes. i haven't seen any kenseis with open helmets.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tiandi and shaolin have unmatched yelling games

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i cant tell you how many times i see the charged unblockable heavy coming a mile away but gently caress up the insanely easy parry and take like a billion damage

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Man, I kinda want to like Breach, but the way they implemented minions in there is just impressively terrible. Yes, let's take the already awkward unlocked combat and spice it up with a bunch of enemies who take several hits do kill, do fairly chunky damage, will block your movement and dodges, and can interrupt your executions and revives. There's nothing remotely interesting about fighting them or near them. They're just 100% a pointless pain in the rear end.

i like nuxia in breach because her caltrops just melt the pikemen minions. theyre set and forget, dump them in a crowd of minions like flypaper then theyll all die and you dont even have to worry

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i just hope it's lawbringers turn to be buffed soon :smith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah, this game's microtransactions are pretty heavy handed and it's egregious how much development effort is spent on the stuff theyre selling for either money or ingame currency (new characters, new customization options like every week) vs stuff they arent charging for like maps and balance patches which come out at a glacial rate

the new character has an exploit where if his opponent is out of stamina and blocks a light attack (if you block a light attack when out of stamina it does not make your opponent recoil and end their combo like it normally does) he has time to follow up with an undodgeable shield bash (undodgeable since the guy that blocked is still locked in his blocking animation) that both drains stamina and guarantees a light attack. it is hilariously broken and could be easily fixed by adjusting some parameters of when you can cancel an animation but has been in the game for like two weeks now

ubisoft has fully transitioned to considering the base game as a platform for the delivery of more and more addons

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aramusha and lawbringer for sure imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the new characters are in general much more versatile and more fun the old ones. the chinese characters and black prior play like theyre from a different game entirely to the guys at launch

a few of the old characters cant do a lot but have one move that is stupendeously useful (warden, conqueror, highlander) which makes them good

some of the release characters got buffed with big additions to their movesets that made them comparably versatile (eg berserker and shugoki)

some guys just cant compete because theyre still acting like theyre in an old game (lawbringer and centurion)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well there's no latency against bots

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Peacekeeper is tough. If I had to pick one really forgiving character to start out with it would probably be warlord.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's not just you. this game definitely seems to have an absurdly steep learning curve

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i play with an xbox controller but i often feel like mouse+kb is the better scheme. zone attacks (light attack+heavy attack) seem much easier on a mouse, and not having to use the same finger for both guard position and guard break/dodge seems like it would be a big advantage

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There's basically two expansions now. The Marching Fire one buys you the chinese characters and the arcade thing. The "Year 3 pass" buys you the new knight character "black prior" and one yet-to-be-revealed character for each of the other factions. All the characters are also buyable with (a substantial amount of) the ingame currency so the only things that you absolutey have to pay money for are the arcade mode and cosmetics.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The BP bash that they can do after an opening light attack is totally busted. It comes out quick as hell and has such a quick recovery that even if you do manage to dodge it (it was undodgeable until a patch that came out several weeks after the character came out) they can recover quick enough that punishing with a guard break or dodge attack is not guaranteed.

If they launch the bash from a dodge it's easier to dodge. iirc the dodge window on the BP bash from dodge and the conqueror bash from dodge is the same, but conquerer has a much bigger window of when they can launch the bash after the dodge which means the timing to dodge conqueror's dodge-bash can be a lot more variable. Also the conqueror bash animation has a lot less of a visual tell than the BP one.

I don't think conqueror has the after-attack bash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Actually I forgot the one thing that really makes BP's light-bash combo stupid. If you put in your input to switch your guard too late (as in, you get hit by the light, then the game receives your input to change your guard direction), the bash is 100% undodgeable. On the other hand, if you guard a little less too late (as in, less than a few frames before the light connects) then you get hit by the light but can dodge the bash. The two cases are basically visually indistinguishable.

Source is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Wbwk959Ag

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2019