Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes. The Ubisoft servers just handle matchmaking and the pointless Faction War stuff. All gameplay is peer to peer.

This is also why Duel/Brawl is more reliable than Domination. P2P poo poo just breaks down past a couple players.

This is terrible news :negative:

Randler posted:

I still have 3 PC invite codes in case anybody still needs some.

uplay: Randwandler

Me please! Added!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Been playing a shitload of Peacekeeper in 1v1 - she owns. Game owns. I very, very rarely lose in 1v1 at this point. Anyone interested in seeing some cool Peacekeeper play, I'll be streaming for a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Keegers posted:

Yeah I feel like this game is mainly a 1v1 type game with extra modes sprinkled in

Exactly this. This is a 1v1 fighting game with extra stuff because its fun and cool and why not.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Streaming more 1v1 Peacekeeper for a while today, wrecking fools who don't know how to block:

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Dangit man, learn how to pull off the proper three stabs after a guardbreak. :v:

Dude no poo poo, this is definitely my weakest point - how the gently caress do I do this?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This thread went to poo poo in a hurry. It's okay for people to have different opinions about things, guys. Really.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Knocking people off ledges and into fires is the most amazing thing. Once the game launches I'm probably going to make a compilation video of knocking dudes off cliffs set to yakety sax or some poo poo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This game is gonna be a sure buy for me just for the 1v1 mode, all the other stuff will be fun side-attractions. My biggest fear is that they will charge $5++ for future characters with no way to purchase them with in-game currency, which would really suck. If they stick to just making stuff you have to purchase with $$$ to cosmetic or boost type things, I'll be fine with whatever they do.

As far as the p2p is concerned, I have to say that this has to be one of the smoothest games of this type I have ever played, network-wise. I saw this game was p2p in this thread and I immediately grimaced at the thought of the kind of issues I was going to run into. After playing for around 15 hours this weekend though, I only ran into 1 or 2 situations where I thought I had a lag issue, and even then I wasn't completely certain that lag was the issue at all. Everything always felt extremely responsive and fair, at least in 1v1, which is primarily where I played. Anyone concerned about the networking who are primarily picking this up for 1v1 - don't be.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

They appear to have literally copied the Rainbow Six Siege monetization scheme down to the details, so probably you'll be able to unlock the in-game characters with about 10-15 hours of gameplay apiece.

This is great news.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Warlord headbutt spam

This is the most broken thing that I encountered over beta; how do you counter this? Can you counter it? I couldn't figure out how to deal with it as a Peacekeeper, no matter how hard I tried.

OctaMurk posted:

Peacekeeper stabs

Are you referring to the triple-stab on guardbreak? That does way, way too much damage for how easy it is to pull off, and I fully expect that to get cut back.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in it as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 2, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hard posted:

Warlord with 2 shields, his name will be shieldlord but seeing that he will automatically parry you we'll call him shitlord.

I'm a genius.

Dude, Dark Souls 2 best gimmick was the double shield build. It was utter poo poo, but that made killing people with it so much more satisfying.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Release thread title: Who have stole the Orochi scabbard ?!

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I demand an investigation of the missing Orochi scabbard.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
From what I can gather, people expect you to be able to buy future characters with in-game currency, with 1 character worth of currency requiring around 15 hours of gameplay. You will likely also be able to buy currency with $$$ to speed this along if you really want to.

The season pass seems to just give you these characters by default, and a week earlier than everyone else. If you plan on playing a lot and don't care about the cosmetic swag, the season pass is likely not worth it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

About this:

I'd be really, really leery about the earn-able currency bit, as since alpha getting in game currency has been a loving slog. Daily challenges pay 100 units, sometimes 300, and the little side contracts pay another 100 but more often than not they're under the stipulation of winning. So if the whole lot of them for a day or several in a row are for PvP modes, and peer to peer matchmaking being what it is, good luck.

I made a ton of currency (around 10k) in the last closed beta weekend just playing 1v1, ignoring contracts, and selling the useless gear that dropped.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought selling gear just gave you salvage but no steel. Are you sure?

Oh, is there another currency I'm not aware of? I remember buying an experience boost emblem thing and a new execute with it, so it gives whatever those require.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Watching some streaming vods of me selling poo poo, looks like I didn't actually get 'steel' from selling gear. I did still manage to get quite a bit of currency just from playing, though, so I'm not too worried about it. I wasn't keeping track of where it was coming from, just that I really wanted the 5k execute for Peacekeeper before beta ended and got it without much fuss over beta weekend.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Prawned posted:

Man they really appear to have phoned-in any attempt at a story (no surprise) for the single-player. Hopefully the campaign is fun to play just for the sake of it, but really why bother make a single-player if you're not gonna have a decent go at it?

There are a surprising number of people that will just flat out refuse to buy a game if there is no single-player component, regardless of how unnecessary or poo poo it might be.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah true. But the pricing model itself is still very shady. They cost so much and you make so little renown to incentive you to pay real money. I hope they stick with the system of all heroes playable, only pay to customise them and then have the steel cost sink in the cosmetics.

Don't hold your breath.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
People still use mumble in 2017? Get with the program, folks.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Dirty Mumble Gaijin...

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Seriously though, I used to be with the people bitching about Discord, saying "Why the gently caress do I need to install this on top of Mumble/TS/Ventrillo/gently caress?!". After using it for a bit however, it is pretty clearly far superior in almost every way possible to every other chat program, and will probably push the others out of the market in time (if it hasn't already?). This isn't console warrior bullshit, it is a statement of fact.

I label people that bitch about Discord as grognards at this point. I personally would never join a Mumble server (because I don't really enjoy chatting with random goons over voice), but I'd join a Discord just to be able to use the text chat, for sure.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Valkyrie's all about those headbutts all the time. She's got those ram's horns for a reason.

Similarly, Shugoki got one where he executes a guy by hip-thrusting his belly right into the other guy's face.

goty

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I played the PC version exclusively in beta and it felt totally fine.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
if you are given the opportunity to knock someone off a ledge and you dont take it, you have already lost the match imo

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I dont know posted:

Agreed, instant death cliffs and spikes every match. If you aren't getting a stream of hate mail you aren't playing right.

https://gfycat.com/SilkyCrazyLamprey

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://clips.twitch.tv/forhonorgame/DifficultCaribouPanicBasket

You can see how much damage the new Peacekeeper triple stab does at around 12s in. Seems to do about the same as the old single stab did.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Some men get off on Doing The Right Thing. Honorable duels, 1 vs 1. Two men enter, one man leaves

And some men just want to watch the world burn (double team some dude and stunlock him to death)

this guy gets it

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CongoJack posted:

I played the conquerer a lot so my main move was to shield charge the other guy on to the floor.

Worked every time.

Lots of conquerer's love to spam this; I eventually learned you can easily sidestep it to the right if you catch onto them. The viking headbutt, however, I could never figure out. Attack, block, backstep, sidestep - nothing seemed to work against that bullshit if they abused the hell out of it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

Thankfully the head butt has been significantly nerfed for open beta.

Thank god. That, and the PK triple stab, were the only two things in the last closed beta that made me call 'bullshit'. Good to see them already on top of broken mechanics.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

titties posted:

I could not figure out how to stab more than once from the grab.

You need to go into practice mode with a dummy bot that will just stand there for a short bit to figure out the timing. If you just spam stab after you grab someone, you will break off after the first stab. If you time the button 3 times in a row just right (in cadence with the actual stabbing animation), you'll get them. After a little practice you'll start to rarely miss all three.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Xae posted:

Peer to Peer with this game seems like a huge mistake. The host advantage was noticeable immediately.

Xae posted:

Yeah.

Uninstalled.

Peer to Peer does not work for twitch games.

Good idea, maybe Ubisoft will not be poo poo one day and host some servers.

Looks like the reddit parrots who have no idea what they're talking about have finally made their way into this thread. I assume you've never played a single online fighting game?

edit: oh nevermind, its just one guy deciding he needed two posts on the same page to bitch about one issue.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
if only they had done a beta to test server load issues before launch

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't launch, this is a stress test. The previous beta was closed so wasn't a stress test.

Launch is next week. (Servers will probably still suck then though, not enough time to respond to the stress results)

:thejoke:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah well its still dumb everybody has to have their own service like uPlay and Origin and not just use Steam which is far more robust.

no argument there

panda clue
May 23, 2014

mellowjournalism posted:

Good thing it is very fun even for bad players

This is the best part. I don't think I'm bad, but even when I am getting whooped I'm having fun. Rarely do I feel like a death is due to bullshit; it is almost always due to my own mistakes or inexperience.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

pretty sure most fighting games are peer to peer dude

they are :ssh:

dude probably got into two 1v1s, got manhandled, threw his controller at his TV and screamed "loving ubisoft!!!", and immediately flew over to reddit to figure out how he possibly could have lost

Ah yes, no dedicated servers, that's the one.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Xae posted:

Should we listen to the person who played the game?

No, lets jump on the hype train over a game we haven't played!

I played the game for around 16-20 hours in the last closed beta, and only once encountered something even close to approaching what I would call a 'lag issue'.

My experience comes from exclusively playing 1v1, but I know the 4v4 concerns are likely very legitimate. However, most people view this as a 1v1 fighting game first and foremost, and view the 4v4 modes as a fun addon.

If you're looking into buying this for the 4v4 then yeah, sorry - p2p issues suck and probably wont get fixed.

edit: also worth noting my experience comes from playing the PC version

panda clue fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Nearly 100% of said problems occured during 4v4. Please keep in mind that just because you personally may not experience problems that doesn't mean that other people aren't!

Nah, I edited my post to clarify that I was talking about 1v1 and that 4v4 could (and very probably does) have issues.