Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Zereth posted:

You can make a logical connection between the events which is consistent with the events actually in the game, but the game doesn't actually explain anything about how they went form workign for Zilla to chilling on Wang's couch.

Yeah I can't argue with that. The game's story really needed some more revision passes, and also for Ameonna to be a bit less...unfortunate.

e: Although I will say that I laughed my rear end off at her shipping Wang and Zilla over both of their protests until Wang decided to play along just to gently caress with Zilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

High praise indeed.

:sbahj:

Devolver Digital you are alright.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Yeah I can't argue with that. The game's story really needed some more revision passes, and also for Ameonna to be a bit less...unfortunate.

e: Although I will say that I laughed my rear end off at her shipping Wang and Zilla over both of their protests until Wang decided to play along just to gently caress with Zilla.

The look on Zilla's face when he starts believing Ameonna may be right is priceless :allears:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Just picked this up.. can you not do the trick to get that skeletor gun early anymore?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Just picked this up.. can you not do the trick to get that skeletor gun early anymore?

They patched it out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait that was a bug? I thought it was on purpose.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Digirat posted:

LMGs/SMGs/assault rifles seem to be balanced around some magical ideal represented by their DPS, where they're perfectly accurate and nothing ever moves. In actuality they perform far worse than almost anything else because they're really inaccurate and enemies dodge around constantly, or knock you around. The bullet reflection some enemies do also punishes those weapon types and basically nothing else. As it is, virtually the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they can at least do mediocre damage at ranges where most of the burst damage weapons become impractical, and they can clean up weak junk like stingers and ratverines quickly. Which is also true of basically every other weapon in the game--those enemies are a non-issue.

Even when they do actually get to perform at their max DPS, that DPS is only on par with everything else, if not worse. Their value is always less than or equal to that of other weapons.

The gatling guns are decent because they have okay per-bullet damage and great RoF, plus a very large ammo capacity.

I think they need to buff the damage of SMGs and ARs by about 25-50% and LMGs/gatlings by about 20% because of their ridiculous ammo inefficiency and low accuracy. They're not like shotguns which make up for their low on-paper DPS via being incredibly forgiving aim-wise and capable of striking multiple targets for full damage (so in an encounter you can easily get 2-3x the on-paper DPS of a shotgun). The rapid-fire shotguns and grenade/rocket launchers also need a buff because of their immense ammo inefficiency.

I think RLs need a bit of a buff in general, because their ammo is rare and enemies are very good at avoiding rockets, and blast weapons lose damage from the epicenter, so they actually do a fraction of what their DPS would suggest.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah rockets are weird with the damage drop off

even direct hits do like half the damage listed on it

grenade launchers are just way better imo, equivalent actual damage, 0 self-damage, more accurate, faster flight speed, double ammo capacity

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MJ12 posted:

The gatling guns are decent because they have okay per-bullet damage and great RoF, plus a very large ammo capacity.

The Lone Badger posted:

Raven is good.

I wasn't referring to the raven because it actually does have great raw DPS to make up for the fact that it has other enormous disadvantages, which gives it a unique role (grinding up all your heavy ammo and endangering yourself to murder everything in close range right the gently caress now). It's the SMGs and assault rifles (and to a slightly lesser extent the LMGs) that are not on par with most of the other weapons. Except against enemies that are a non-issue anyway, they don't really do a whole lot better than any other kind of weapon. LMGs fare a bit better than SMGs and ARs since their higher DPS means they can whittle down enemies with big enough hitboxes, but even a lot of burst weapons can do that really well too, like just directly hitting them with grenade launchers.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Chainsaw katana is pretty dang cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I seemed to have a lot of success with applying good piercing modifiers (those that buffed damage, rather than reduced) to the two ARs/LMGs I happened to use for a significant chunk of the game: the Skeletor LMG and the demonic rifle. Even on the 2nd hardest difficulty, those two weapons always seemed to justify keeping them hotkey'ed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Flying Wild Hog's releasing a "Special Reserve Collector's Edition" of Shadow Warrior 2 that comes with Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Shadow Warrior 2013, an art book for SW2, and the gold stuff for SW2 I think. Check out the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O02RVoKI3g

High praise indeed.

CJacobs posted:

Knowing Devolver, they made that trailer very specifically to deliver that burn on Polygon, and I am ok with that.

They certainly know their audience.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Flying Wild Hog's releasing a "Special Reserve Collector's Edition" of Shadow Warrior 2 that comes with Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Shadow Warrior 2013, an art book for SW2, and the gold stuff for SW2 I think. Check out the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O02RVoKI3g

High praise indeed.

Game is too difficult like the power/eject buttons on a PS4.

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 1, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Malek posted:

Game is too difficult like the power/eject buttons on a PS4.

To be fair, it's one of the things they changed in the PS4 Slim and PS4 Neo.

That doesn't make less stupid anyways.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:lol:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Got bored a drew some fanart - still need to add Hoji and Ammeona.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
There was a recent patch that finally removed ('fixed') the level 96 cap, though at this point I'm just waiting for the update that adds a way to use the masumune orbs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What's the new cap?

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I don't think there's a cap anymore. I'm at lvl 110 at the moment.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The weapons that can drop from random enemies (the something & Messon pistol, the True Patriot, etc), can they drop from ANY enemy? Is there any place where weapon chests are guaranteed to spawn?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Azran posted:

The weapons that can drop from random enemies (the something & Messon pistol, the True Patriot, etc), can they drop from ANY enemy? Is there any place where weapon chests are guaranteed to spawn?

I think they can drop from any enemy, and there's no guarantee of weapon chest spawns.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Am I gonna like this if all I enjoyed in the first game was the first few minutes where you chop human guys up like Kill Bill?

Seriously, they should've made the whole game like that.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They improved the gore/dismemberment system, added more melee weapons and you can go through the large majority of the game using them, so yes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

For anyone here who bought the Deluxe Edition Upgrade for Shadow Warrior 2

Do I have to start a new character for the golden weapons or is starting NG+ enough for them to appear in my inventory?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

As a grown man with an unashamedly juvenile sense of humour because my inner child is a petty, infantile prick, I'm just fine with the jokes and general characterisation I've run across in the game thus far (I just got done with the "hunt down monster bits and golden chrysanthemum" thing, so I know it's early on yet). I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but immature, off-colour humour is part of the British cultural identity and I'm having fun with it. :colbert:

I countered the Sidekick's anaemic performance by slapping Geminate Soul, a Component of Ice and a Robust Substance of Hurry in it but it's still mostly a very situational gun. That situation being "I feel like John Wooing the poo poo out of half a dozen Yakuza". I just got the Rippers, the Point Five-Oh and the Stick of Doom though, and they're pretty much covering all my bases. Life leech on the Rippers. Five-Oh has Doubled Ammo and a yellow Vulnerability gem for BLAMming mobs in the head like a Commissar. The latter's been turned into a Mighty charge shot boss ganker.

Can't wait to see what all the higher tier guns are like.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The stick of doom was my "I need absolutely everything in a 90 degree arc in front of me to die" weapon, but it had a huge reload time. The point 5 0 was pretty anemic to me. If different pistols had different amount of ammo, it might be useful, but a weapon with a higher ROF but lower damage per bullet is just going to drain my ammo reserves too quickly. Pistols are best suited to deal big damage by punching the poo poo out of stuff with a few precise shots, rather than firing quickly.

SMGs are pretty anemic on their own, but they really shine against elemental weaknesses, since they hit so many times the status effects are practically guaranteed to proc almost instantly. I always kept a pair handy with 3 elemental gems for whenever a Physical Resist/Hardened enemy appeared.

Also, I learned pretty early on that doubled ammo, or 'Substance of Package' is a mug's game. The +50%ish damage upgrade just isn't worth the ammo cost. It turns out that a better way to get a 100% damage increase is to just fire twice.

Some of the later high-ROF shotguns are loving amazing though. My favorite was the Purgator. By that time I had enough 'Fluke' upgrade on my character to give me about +25% chance to crit, and I dropped in an ammo-saving, crit %+, and crit boost upgrade, PLUS the drat thing has a special modifier that has a 20% chance to get half your clip back whenever you kill something. Between the ammo save chance and the fact that almost every other shot was a critical, I almost never had to reload. It was glorious.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 25, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hexenritter posted:

As a grown man with an unashamedly juvenile sense of humour because my inner child is a petty, infantile prick, I'm just fine with the jokes and general characterisation I've run across in the game thus far (I just got done with the "hunt down monster bits and golden chrysanthemum" thing, so I know it's early on yet). I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but immature, off-colour humour is part of the British cultural identity and I'm having fun with it. :colbert:

well, you've kinda not run into the vast majority of why a lot of people dislike the characterization so this isn't exactly surprising

also every shotgun is useful in some way. always keep one around

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Just finished it. Honestly, the first game was a much more compact and well-paced experience, but this one still got the most important thing right: the gun and swordplay. Yeah, I got sick of sitting in menus trying to customize weapons, and running around trying to loot chests that rarely had anything of value in them, but the action was still good. Wang is still funny. Double jumping owns, being ridiculously mobile is still awesome. The hubworld was pointless, and poo poo went too far towards Borderlands in design, but game is still probably an 8/10 for me.

I'll keep buying them if Flying Wild Hog keeps making them.

Oh, but gently caress them for that gotcha moment where Kamiko dangles talking to Hoji from beyond the grave over your head. That was a dick move, FWH. I miss the Broji.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Oh, but gently caress them for that gotcha moment where Kamiko dangles talking to Hoji from beyond the grave over your head. That was a dick move, FWH. I miss the Broji.

Honestly I thought that was a great moment, it mirrored a similar moment early on in Shadow Warrior 2013 between Wang and Hoji.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Darke GBF posted:

The fact that I was legitimately bummed out when the game reinforced that Hoji is absolutely definitely dead forever really speaks to two things: How much better I think Shadow Warrior 1's writing and side character partner buddy was than Kamiko, and how effective he was as a character that I genuinely miss him. :smith:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Honestly I thought that was a great moment, it mirrored a similar moment early on in Shadow Warrior 2013 between Wang and Hoji.

Referencing another game is only a good idea if that game isn't vastly better. That moment just reinforced how much worse SW2 is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely think kamiko was a fine side character, but one of the main issues was that the game didn't give enough moments for the reasons why to actually come through. there were a couple times where i was enjoying the conversation between her and wang but it wasn't often enough because half the time the game seemed more interested in wang saying some petty poo poo

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Another problem is that the nature of how those side conversations are delivered to the player you can get bits of them out of order, or completely miss large chunks of them. It feels worse than missing the various side-bar journals and stuff.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Shadow Warrior 1 had much more genuine pathos- Hoji's backstory was genuinely compelling (even if he, along with all the other ancients, was a massive dick). I like Kamiko as well, but her role is more of a snarky ride-along than an actual partner like Wang/Hoji. In SW1, Hoji was the reason that Wang was able to manipulate Chi at all - it would have been cool if Kamiko conferred some new abilities as well, or was the reason Wang could do all these new Chi moves like Vanish, other than just being a convenient explanation for how you can teleport.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just picked this up and am having a lot of fun with it.

The wicked fast gameplay is great. It along with DOOM are breath of fresh air after the years of CoD style shooters.

I think it might be better than Borderlands 1 (which I like more than 2)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just finished this game last night. Although I bought it on Steam's autumn sale, I was going to wait for my new computer to arrive before I played it, because I assumed my current rig wouldn't run it at all. But I was so antsy that I ended up trying it anyway on a whim, and to my surprise it ran. Not well, and the lowest quality textures look loving terrible, but it was playable enough.

I was really excited for this game. I loved the previous one and a mixture of that and Borderlands (which I also love) sounded like an awesome idea. I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed in the least. Sure, the storytelling is pretty lacklustre and the missions are really repetitive, but I just can't bring myself to care overmuch because oh my god this is so much fun. I'm too tired just now to write any sort of coherent essay, so I'll just rattle off some random thoughts about the game here:

-I can see why people would dislike the game vomiting trash loot all over, but I personally have a pretty high tolerance for that kind of thing and will merrily keep picking up everything and hauling it to the vendors, because my lizard brain goes SEE SHINY THING MUST GET and likes the satisfying sound effect of picking stuff up. I'm sure as gently caress glad the game has unlimited inventory space though.

-The Wanglopedia background fluff was nice, I liked piecing together what had happened bit by bit. Every couple missions I'd take a little break from all the hypermurdering just to sort out all my new weapons and upgrades and poo poo and read a few codex entries while sipping coffee.

-The new fortune cookies with their random quotes still can't hold a candle to the hilariously dumbass puns in the original.

-People ITT have been making GBS threads on the machineguns and I just disagree. The Triple Six was one of my favourites, I upgraded it for just plain damage, crit and reload speed and it served me really well until the end of the game. Equally importantly it looked loving badass and had a nice satisfying firing sound. I didn't like the miniguns though, way too inefficient.

-The remote detonator upgrade for grenade launchers is the bee's knees. No need to try time the grenades or get direct hits, just fire away in the enemies general direction and detonate the grenade next to them like an airburst round. Or at their feet.

-The Springchester is cool as poo poo.

-Wang butchering Beatles tunes about Xing being just a head is the hardest I've laughed at a video game in a really long time. Like "I had to hit esc and sit in the menu for a minute until I settled down" hard.

9/10, thanks for this game Flying Wild Hog. Please make more of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The game has updated with a free little Xmas present from the Hogs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNewPny5x4

quote:

Shadow Warrior 2’s The Way of the Wang DLC opens up a new area within the game’s hub town, presenting seven special trials for Lo Wang to unlock and overcome. Players will be able to earn new crafting abilities, weapon gem slots, and base weapon stat upgrades upon completing each new trial with the new Fist of Gozu battle axe awaiting those warriors that complete all of the trials. The DLC also includes three new tiers for Insane difficulty and five new achievements to unlock in the campaign.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm dreaming of a red christmas

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

9/10, thanks for this game Flying Wild Hog. Please make more of it.

The Kins posted:

The game has updated with a free little Xmas present from the Hogs...
Well, that was quick! :haw: Sounds like cool stuff, too.

Also, as I mentioned, I played through this game with a lovely computer, so I had to settle for really crappy graphics settings and it was still choppy as heck on my old abacus of a computer.
Well, I got a new computer just yesterday, so moved over my save files, reinstalled this game on the SSD and fired it up. I cranked everything the hell up and just about creamed my pants. It's goddamn gorgeous and runs smooth as butter. This kind of fast, furious and colourful action is just fantastic to put this new rig through its paces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't see how to add the new DLC on GOG :(

• Locked thread