Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I jumped off a cliff holding a Chainsword.
Did the full charged spin attack beyblade thing.
Rotated myself 90 degrees so that I was spinning down towards the ground.
Shainsworded right through the second boss in slowmotion while falling down and spinning, splitting the boss in two vertical halves.
GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the jokes tend to hit that sweet spot of being just corny enough to where at worst they're fairly tolerable and at best they actually wrap around to being sorta funny given what all is going on

"Mess with the bull and you'll get the Wang."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

How do the side characters compare to Hoji's writing?

Unfortunately, not so well. I'm only a few hours in but so far they have replaced Hoji with someone making an impression of an annoying teenage girl.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is pretty loving great and the combat is absolutely amazing. Feels smooth and all the weapons feel powerful. I especially love the Chainsword.'

I only got a few gripes with the game.
1) Hoji was actually fun most of the time. Kamiko got no sense of humor and mostly is just annoying, at least as far as I've played.
2) I wish fewer upgrades would drop so that all of them would actually be useful instead.
The elemental upgrades, the ones that turn your weapon into a turret or let you wield 2 weapons at the same time are all good.
The ones that give you +5 damage or +1% life steal or whatever are not good and would only please arpg spergs.
3) I wish there was an option to cast powers with button combinations, the same way you did it in SW1.
There are waaay to many shortcuts you have to deal with right now. Especially considering that using the weapon wheel doesn't stop/slow time, even in single player.

Other than these things, the game is loving amazing and I'm definitely not regretting pre-ordering it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, the damage auras on some special enemies are pretty unfun. How am I supposed to dance around their attacks like a beautiful death wang when I constantly take a DoT for even getting close to them briefly?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

I just reset my gems between missions. Never felt a need to do so mid-gameplay

This plus I'm:
* Junking everything in the "Weapon Upgrades" category, since it's all just boring stat bonuses.
* Junking everything that's White.
* Stacking every weapon with 3 Elemental mods (or 1 unique mod, like Turret or Akimbo, and 2 elemental mods)

That makes the upgrade system much more tolerable.

I'm playing on Hard, by the way, and it seems to work alright.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reminds me of the random drop system in Darksiders 2, completely unnecessary and annoying but in there because they heard people like that stuff.

Yeah, it feels exactly like that.
Although, unlike Darksiders 2, the game still kicks rear end.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah first thing I did was dump all my skill points into that. It seems extremely powerful, means you can self-heal yourself anytime and just keep going and going.

Technically the first skill you should dump skillpoints into is XP Gain skill.
I don't even know why game devs let you level up xp gain that way. It just makes the play get it first, if they want to be optimal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jusupov posted:

I got items that give 9% karma and you can equip 3 of those.

Saaame heeere and the sperg in me won't let me switch them to something more fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I really rushed through the tutorial mission, so I may have missed this if it was covered, but if you are using WASD you can double-tap W to sprint like you would in other FPS games where you would hold Shift. This is separate from the Dash move.

I didn't know there was a Sprint until I was playing it with a DS4 and clicked in the left stick. I don't see a way to bind the Sprint function to a distinct key on the keyboard, which is a minor annoyance for me because I use a G13 thumbstick for FPS games and double-tapping a joystick is too slow, but I'm confident that I'll get around this with macros.

There's no point in sprinting anyways when you can just dash around which is at least just as fast but also more fun.

Mr.Citrus posted:

If you do the vortex move with that active on insane it's a death sentence

You can keep moving and dashing while you're doing the Vortex.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-nevermind-

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

I kinda wonder why they decided to use miss rate for spread instead of just spread.

The gently caress is miss rate even?
The percentage of shots that vanish into the ether?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jusupov posted:

500K credits spent crafting power upgrades and they all sucked

There's crafting in this game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 8 hours into the game and I just started doing the second story mission after the tutorial.

Also, I'm so going to get carpal tunnel in my pinky cause I mash dash non stop, always.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

This link doesn't work anymore? steam://install/522332

If it does then there's two more DLC's
Quakecon: steam://install/522330
PAX West: steam://install/508970
Not sure what PAX West DLC actually gives, didn't notice anything

E: these links register the DLC to your account. At least they did yesterday, they could've changed it.

Worked for me, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zagrod posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know - if you see the Shadow Warrior 2 decal, there (usually) is a secret hidden nearby. For example, in the pic below you can jump through the painting on the wall into a hidden room

Good to know, I'll try to look out for those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How to make the worst part of the game less annoying:

* Don't touch the inventory during the mission. Wait until you're in the hub.
* Junk everything in the "Weapon Upgrades" category (it's all just boring and pointless stat bonuses).
* Stack every weapon with nothing but fun unique mods (like Akimbo or Turret) and Elemental mods.

I've been playing that way on Hard for a while now and the game honestly flows sooooo much better when you don't stop every 5 seconds to optimize your guns.
Also the less time you spend on spreadsheets the more time you spend carving monsters and giving them the Wang.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish you could turn off skills cause 99% of the times I do a Vortex it's by mistake.

Incidentally, is there a way to cancel a special melee move after starting to charge it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

Does switching to a new weapon work? That's what I do to get out of drawing an arrow I don't want to shoot.

Doesn't seem to work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Press the reload/parry button.

Ah, I haven't thought of trying that, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Is there a way to change the FOV on your arms? Some of the guns are so huge they take up an entire third of the screen and it's pretty annoying. :geno:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Wait, reload with a melee weapon is parry in addition to just cleaning the blade?

Yep. It's hastily mentioned during the prologue.
During the combat R is a Parry while outside of combat it's just some random animation.

Personally I don't find Parry very useful, the enemy gets stunned for way too short amount of time to do anything and it's easier to just dodge and punish instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan, oh maaan.
I just fight against the Corrupted Kamiko and what a boss fight that was. My rear end is still sweaty.

I would've gotten loving destroyed there if I didn't just get the max level Chi regen skill just a minute before the boss fight.
Negative cost Vanish sure does make the game way easier.

In fact it reminds me a lot of how I used to play Lilith in Borderlands 1. Which is great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jeeesus...Level 5 Serene Mind + Vanish is so incredibly broken it turned fairly challenging Hard Mode into a cakewalk.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

So I learned that like Healing Flame, you can hold the key for Vanish and charge it up to like 30 seconds. Vanish kicks in after 5 seconds like when you tap it but you can make it last for a good while. You can also hold the key and keep Vanish going as it drains through your chi meter.

gently caress me...I did NOT want to know that.
Now I'm going to be in Vanish mode 100% of the time, seeing all the beautiful art through the hightlight-o-vision.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The gem system is pretty much the only big problem with the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They could've removed every weapon gem that wasn't a special upgrade (Turret, Akimbo, Split Shot, etc.) or an elemental upgrade and the game would've been better for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

I'm basically done opening chests at this point, gems don't really interest me at all and money pours out of baddies and secrets that I don't need them for that either.

You know that weapons do drop from chests every now and then, right? If not for that I would've (tried to) ignored them too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know what happens after you beat the game? Is there a NG+ or some sort of post-game content or something?

Deakul posted:

Don't do this to me, I've been playing it for like 12 hours and never once got a weapon from a chest.

I've been playing for about 15 hours and I think I got 2 weapons from chests specifically.
So it's rare but it does happen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

You can just start a new game with the same character if you want to, but there's no formal scaling mode or anything like that.

Shame. I was hoping for an extra hard NG+ or something.

I guess after I finish the game I'll be running melee-only Insane mode.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geight posted:

Hopefully some kind of NG+ features are a post-release priority, I figure that's a pretty important part of any Diablo-esque game, even a simpler one like this.

I would like some sort of Arena Mode DLC that would scale to your character and then just let you fight progressively more powerful waves of enemies.

All the Borderlands games and Diablo-likes usually have something like that and IMO it would make a good fit for SW2 as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phoix posted:

I think melee is actually the easier way to play Insane. If you want to do real hard mode Insane don't put any points in to Serene Mind. :v:

Ugh. Serene Mind Lvl 5 seriously needs to be nerfed by at least 50%.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Night Blade posted:

My experience with CoOp is nobody talking, everyone dashing around aimlessly shooting monsters and losing each other and about 50% performance drop.

Is there even a chat of any kind? I played coop with one random guy once and I couldn't find any means of communication other than shooting at stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the feedback, just finished installing. We'll see after some play if it's the kind of thing my brother'd like before I buy his copy.

Thoughts on starting difficulty?

Hard. Definitely.

It quickly turns into a cakewalk on Hard, so I imagine it getting pretty dull on Normal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Whoever said Hard was a good starting difficulty sits upon a throne of lies, I'm getting absolutely loving trashed trying to recover Smith's instructions for tinysword :saddowns:

Are you playing with a controller or something?
Mash shift more. Left click the badguys.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

How did Zilla capture Kamiko if she knows how to teleport

Teleport jammers a thing later in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Although SW2 could use some more difficulty modes above Insanity for NG+ and stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I did some basic math and I think Karma Collector skill is practically totally useless?

Max level of Karma Collector gives you +15% XP for the cost of 6 SP.
That means that you'll go even when all that bonus XP will account for 6 levels total which is not until
x / 1.15 * 0.15 = 6
x = 46
Level 46?

Karma Collector is a waste of SP until after level 46 and considering that max level is 50 then it's not worth using that skill at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Level 50 is max? So you can't max out all your skills, then? That's good to know.

I don't actually know if lvl 50 is max or not tbh, but there's a cheevo for getting to lvl 50.

Either way, I'm lvl 30 and I'm pretty sure the game is almost over so you won't be getting to lvl 50 just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Runs like silk too, even my slightly aging GTX 760 gets a consistent 60 frames with most settings maxed out. Hats off the the optimization team.

What resolution are you playing on?

Cause my GTX 960 can barely manage running SW2 at 45-60fps/1080p with medium/high settings.

• Locked thread