Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Girlish Number is a Fall 2016 anime about the voice acting industry, and so far, it seems really neat!

MAL's synopsis posted:

College student Chitose Karasuma is determined not to do boring things as she enters the adult world. To this end, this bad-mannered beauty barges into a facility that trains would-be voice actors and actresses, somehow landing a job at “Number One Produce,” a seiyuu agency managed by her older brother, Gojo. In Chitose's mind, she's poised for greatness, but finds herself at a loss when she continues to only get minor roles. As she clashes with other girls in the agency, including a cunning airhead and a girl with a Kansai accent, Chitose is about to learn that there's more to succeeding in this competitive industry than she imagined.

As of the first episode, I like its cynical yet still light-hearted take on the seiyuu biz, with characters bitching about the industry but still trying hard and still overall having a good time. Everyone we've seen is two-faced and petty, and that seems pretty realistic (and it's fun to watch, besides!). The source material, a "serial novel" (which I guess is somehow different form a light novel?), is written by Wataru Watari, best known for Oregairu/SNAFU, and that fills me with hope, and hype.

Karasuma Chitose                          Kugayama Yae                              Katakura Koto

Sonou Momoka                              Shibasaki Kazuha                          Kuzu-P

Karasuma Gojou                            Towada-AP                                     President Namba

(Japanese name order)

It's streaming on Crunchyroll (in the US, at least) on Wednesdays at midday! Watch the good show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This was real cool so far and I like the colors

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
ep 1 was cool and good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I want the subs for the latest episode!

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Written by someone who does light novels making fun of light novel anime. Yeah the snark is real in this show.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I like this show a lot, and this needed to be posted.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

ChaosSora posted:

I like this show a lot, and this needed to be posted.

Fantastic. I'll give this a watch.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This show is excellent so far. I loved Shirobako and I loved SNAFU, so this is right up my alley. Also, Kuzu-P is probably the reincarnation of Funny Story, everyone's favorite character.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I had way too much free time today, and the novelty of working with anime overcame my desire to work on WS, so here's girlish number episode 2 if anyone wants it: https://rbfi.io/dl.php?key=/3BSL/GirlishNumberEpisode02.rear end

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I didn't realize this is based on a (serial) novel by the snafu dude. I'll definitely check it out then.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

z0glin Warchief posted:

I had way too much free time today, and the novelty of working with anime overcame my desire to work on WS, so here's girlish number episode 2 if anyone wants it: https://rbfi.io/dl.php?key=/3BSL/GirlishNumberEpisode02.rear end

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I enjoyed your translation of the first episode.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
well, I was going to wait patiently for official subs, but since I don't have to...

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

esselfortium posted:

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I enjoyed your translation of the first episode.

You're welcome! Hopefully they're good this time...

Also I figured I'd put up another file without the accent for Koto, in case there's anybody who prefers not having that: https://rbfi.io/dl.php?key=/ZU6T/GirlishNumberEpisode02b.rear end
(tbh it's probably kind of cringey, so...)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Thanks Zoglin!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
good subs zog

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i like the thing the director does where they constantly smash cut into an extreme close up to see the character's reactions, but instead of using it to make build tension they just use it use it for private reactions

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i love how fake they all are, chitose is a huge bitch who can't even pretend to be nice for more than 2 sentences, kansai girl is faking her whole kansai persona and yae has that dark blackish heart that brings fear to all

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
At least we have actor-diva bringing her principled ideals to the table.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hell is other people. It's awesome.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

i love how fake they all are, chitose is a huge bitch who can't even pretend to be nice for more than 2 sentences, kansai girl is faking her whole kansai persona and yae has that dark blackish heart that brings fear to all

this whole thing is going off a cliff and it's gonna be awesome

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love that the MC is such an arrogant poo poo, its a refreshing change of pace from the usual.

Also great job with the subs.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 15, 2016

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
chitose is a huge poo poo and it is the best

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Every character is a terrible person and that makes this show amazing. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is Yae terrible? I don't think that's confirmed yet.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

someone make a girlish number thread so i can dump this stuff there

This thing was cool. Where did it come from, and do you know if there's going to be more of it?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
haha, the second ep was great! Chitose is so awful. She's fantastic! Kuzu-P is such a fuckup and I already hate him. The "Yae's black heart" gags are hilarious.

I don't remember if we got an OP in the first ep, but if so I wasn't paying attention. It's good, and I love how colorful it is. Really, the whole show is colorful in a way that contradicts how nasty some of the characters are and takes the sting out of it.

I'm liking this a lot, good and fun characters that are lovely people are a ton of fun to watch.

Thanks, Zog!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't remember if we got an OP in the first ep, but if so I wasn't paying attention. It's good, and I love how colorful it is. Really, the whole show is colorful in a way that contradicts how nasty some of the characters are and takes the sting out of it.

In the first ep, the OP was replaced by the two veteran seiyuu singing a song together.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Clarste posted:

Is Yae terrible? I don't think that's confirmed yet.

I think Yae might be the only pure (or more appropriately, naive) one. And it's probably because she's not willing (or doesn't know) to stoop to the level of what other people are doing that she's not getting much work. Either that or her whole "suck up to everyone and profusely apologize for everything" is her way of trying to get ahead in the game. But given that Chitose chooses to project her awfulness on her, she's probably just a good girl.

I think Koto's my favorite so far, she seems to at least have an interest in anime and her job, and faking your accent for appeal is pretty benign compared to some of the other cast. :v:

Great show though, it feels a bit like Shirobako but with the gloves off. It's fun watching everyone be assholes to one another.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You never trust anyone that says "hawawa".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zettace posted:

You never trust anyone that says "hawawa".

hawawa?!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

In any other show I'd take Yae at face value because, you know, anime, but in this one she just comes off as fake as hell.

Koto is probably on the level though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hi, I saw a meme pic of a character doing a weird nico nico nii hand gesture for this anime. Is this the right anime?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Hi, I saw a meme pic of a character doing a weird nico nico nii hand gesture for this anime. Is this the right anime?

It is!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the generic pv was great

flute girl is my wife

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I honestly can't tell if that PV was supposed to be good or bad, in-universe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

it seemed like it was supposed to have some well-drawn shots made specifically for the PV and then the actual stuff from episodes of the show was very generic.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

I got the impression it was supposed to be generally below average, but passable.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the only clues we have to its quality are:

a) Chitose of course didn't like it
b) the crowd ate it up
c) Koto liked the animation

put this all together, and

Endorph posted:

it seemed like it was supposed to have some well-drawn shots made specifically for the PV and then the actual stuff from episodes of the show was very generic.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah the impression I got was that it was supposed to be quality animation but poor and unfinished character designs. Considering the one they showed was a "first look/sneak peek" kind of deal, and the key visual hadn't even been released yet, people probably just figured that will be fixed before the show really gets underway.

My guess is that using those character designs for the promotional material (by taking images from the PV directly) like Kuzu told his assistant to do is going to backfire soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This should be fun. Feels like it's going to be as if Shirobako was about a disaster.

• Locked thread