Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Girlish Number is a Fall 2016 anime about the voice acting industry, and so far, it seems really neat!

MAL's synopsis posted:

College student Chitose Karasuma is determined not to do boring things as she enters the adult world. To this end, this bad-mannered beauty barges into a facility that trains would-be voice actors and actresses, somehow landing a job at “Number One Produce,” a seiyuu agency managed by her older brother, Gojo. In Chitose's mind, she's poised for greatness, but finds herself at a loss when she continues to only get minor roles. As she clashes with other girls in the agency, including a cunning airhead and a girl with a Kansai accent, Chitose is about to learn that there's more to succeeding in this competitive industry than she imagined.

As of the first episode, I like its cynical yet still light-hearted take on the seiyuu biz, with characters bitching about the industry but still trying hard and still overall having a good time. Everyone we've seen is two-faced and petty, and that seems pretty realistic (and it's fun to watch, besides!). The source material, a "serial novel" (which I guess is somehow different form a light novel?), is written by Wataru Watari, best known for Oregairu/SNAFU, and that fills me with hope, and hype.

Karasuma Chitose                          Kugayama Yae                              Katakura Koto

Sonou Momoka                              Shibasaki Kazuha                          Kuzu-P

Karasuma Gojou                            Towada-AP                                     President Namba

(Japanese name order)

It's streaming on Crunchyroll (in the US, at least) on Wednesdays at midday! Watch the good show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
well, I was going to wait patiently for official subs, but since I don't have to...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

someone make a girlish number thread so i can dump this stuff there

This thing was cool. Where did it come from, and do you know if there's going to be more of it?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
haha, the second ep was great! Chitose is so awful. She's fantastic! Kuzu-P is such a fuckup and I already hate him. The "Yae's black heart" gags are hilarious.

I don't remember if we got an OP in the first ep, but if so I wasn't paying attention. It's good, and I love how colorful it is. Really, the whole show is colorful in a way that contradicts how nasty some of the characters are and takes the sting out of it.

I'm liking this a lot, good and fun characters that are lovely people are a ton of fun to watch.

Thanks, Zog!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the only clues we have to its quality are:

a) Chitose of course didn't like it
b) the crowd ate it up
c) Koto liked the animation

put this all together, and

Endorph posted:

it seemed like it was supposed to have some well-drawn shots made specifically for the PV and then the actual stuff from episodes of the show was very generic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was a really good ep, but man it was hard to watch at times. What's the german term for that? fremdschamen? something like that. Chitose going up to the mic and loving it all up, over and over again...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
but she so richly deserves to be bullied

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
this is such a shitshow

I mean, not GN, it's a good show, but the kuusure or whatever, and everyone involved in it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

How do you pronounce Gi(a)rlish Number?

ガーリッシュナンバー

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It really does feel like someone saw Funny Story and thought, "you know, I bet I could write a character viewers want to punch even more."

But Funny Story got his comeuppance. I don't think Kuzu-P will.

• Locked thread